watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Good Luck Tonight Bobby

Started by White Noise, November 14, 2011, 10:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Martin Keown: A big night for Zamora, but England must keep an eye on Ibrahimovic

By Martin Keown

Last updated at 11:02 PM on 14th November 2011

Bobby Zamora has made a lot of improvements to his game. It was not so long ago the Fulham fans started singing songs about his shots ending up in row Z. Now he and Andrew Johnson are keeping them in the Premier League.

He offers Fabio Capello something different up front because he is a genuine target man. He holds up the ball well, links intelligently with the midfield and is very strong.

Big chance: Bobby Zamora brings a new dimension to England's attack

Darren Bent and Danny Welbeck are looking for the ball in behind but with Zamora you can build an attack in a different way. The one worry though is whether he will take his chances in front of goal but you cannot deny that he has caught the eye at the right time.

Take Zlat

The Swede may have disappointed on some big occasions in the Champions League but he has won league titles with five different clubs for a reason.

He is quick but the main danger is that he can shoot from anywhere and likes to take aim early. For that reason, England's defence will have to close him down and tackle him luickly so he can't get a shot away.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061507/Martin-Keown-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-stopped.html#ixzz1dkwbVugz

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3935319/Bobby-Zamora-eyes-Englands-2000th-goal.html

Bobby Zamora eyes England's 2,000th goal

By SHAUN CUSTIS

Published: Today

Add a comment  (2)

BOBBY ZAMORA aims to take his big chance at Wembley tonight — by scoring the 2,000th goal in England's history.
Zamora has played only half a game for Three Lions boss Fabio Capello due to injury.

But Capello would be delighted if the 30-year-old Fulham striker made the record books against Sweden as England bid for their 2,000th goal in all internationals.

He said: "I've had Zamora around the team for a long time.

"He had some hand problems at the start of the season and his balance was not good.

"But, in the last few games, he's played really well. I want to see him at Wembley."

If Zamora justifies Capello's faith against the Swedes, there may be no way back for Liverpool's £35million hitman Andy Carroll.

Capello believes Zamora is the perfect foil for young Manchester United forward Danny Welbeck.

The manager also reckons he is the best English player at holding up the ball and bringing the rest of the team into play.

And, even though he will be 31 in January, the former Brighton and West Ham man is one of the new breed who can help shape the manager's belated Three Lions revolution.

Scott Parker has started making a name for himself on the international scene in his 30s and Capello sees no reason why Zamora cannot do the same.

Welbeck, 20, will have a fitness test on an injured quad muscle today.

But Capello is hoping for the thumbs-up because he is desperate to try out the attacking combination.

Zamora was on the brink of going to last summer's World Cup but injury cost him.

Capello gave him a run-out in a friendly win over Hungary 15 months ago but has not been able to pick him since. Now the time has come. However, where once Carroll was a part of England's future, the big Geordie is rapidly falling out of favour due to a lack of form and fitness.

He did not make the squad for the latest double-header. And Capello's assessment left the Kop striker in no doubt where he stands: "That depends on him, not on me."

Welbeck and Jack Rodwell impressed after coming on in Saturday's 1-0 win over Spain. But Capello has made the point it can be easier to play well against a team you are not expected to beat, rather than one you should.

The Italian said: "I think the confidence with the players is improving after we beat Spain.

"But the game against Sweden will be different. We need to play forward because they'll defend from midfield.

"Usually they are really compact and play the counter-attack really well."

Capello's Lions will be hoping to hit the magic 2,000 mark after Frank Lampard scored England's 1,999th goal to conquer the Spanish on Saturday.

Some fans will argue that winner should have been the 2,000th after Lamps' World Cup strike against Germany was ruled out in South Africa last year, despite clearly crossing the line.

Then again, the Germans might have a word or two to say about Geoff Hurst's World Cup final strike being allowed in 1966...

The big dangers for England tonight will come from Galatasaray's former Bolton star Johan Elmander and AC Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Capello was Ibrahimovic's boss at Juventus and there is a mutual respect.

The notoriously difficult Ibrahimovic says Capello was the only man who could manage him.

Capello declared: "He is a fantastic player. He has good imagination, technically he is fantastic and he scores goals from long and short distance.

"He is one of the best players I trained in my life."

English audiences have never been convinced by 6ft 5in Ibrahimovic, 30.

But Capello believes he would be a hit in the Premier League.

The England chief added: "He's one of the top players in the world. He is so tall with great movement."

Whatever the threat, Capello expects his side to build on the Spanish win and show that the Wembley fear factor has been banished for ever.

He said: "We have new players. I think next summer we can see a really good team because the young players have got talent.

"Jack Wilshere has played at Wembley without a problem, Jack Rodwell played 20 minutes with no problem, Welbeck the same and now we can see Kyle Walker.

"I hope I've got problems to choose the best players for the Euros. I think these players have got time to improve between now and May.

"Probably, some who are in a good moment now will be so-so then. But the experience to play at Wembley against Spain, Sweden and also against Holland will be important."

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/15/SOCCER_England_Zamora.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

ZAMORA READY TO TAKE HIS CHANCE

England v Sweden 1st Goalscorer: Bobby Zamora 6/1

Bobby Zamora is determined to press his claims to be part of England's Euro 2012 squad, after admitting every game "feels like a trial".

The Fulham striker will win his second cap in Tuesday night's friendly against Sweden at Wembley after head coach Fabio Capello confirmed the 30-year-old will start.

Zamora's only other appearance for his country was as a substitute against Hungary 15 months ago.

An Achilles injury ruled him out of contention for the 2010 World Cup, but he wants to make an impact against the Swedes and push his claims.

Zamora said: "Every game feels like a trial. You have got to take you chance and that's what I intend to do.

"I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait for it. There are guys vying for the same position as you.

"You have to bide your time and when you get that chance, try and impress and do my best to hang onto it.

"It's been a bit up and down with injuries but that's football, that's life. You work hard and take your opportunities when they come.

"To stay in the squad and to be involved in the summer is the aim."

Zamora's inclusion appears to have put him ahead of Andy Carroll in the pecking order.

Capello said: "I've had Zamora around the team for a long time. He had some hand problems at the start of the season, and his balance was not good.

"In the games he's played in this last period, he's played really well. I want to see him at Wembley."

Capello had once said Carroll was the future but, when asked on Monday about that statement, he said: "Yes, but that depends on him. Not on me."

John Terry will return against Sweden with Capello happy for him to still skipper the side when the subject of a police investigation over alleged racist remarks to QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

But Capello admits he would prefer competition for places after the impressive displays of Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott in the absence of Terry against Spain at the weekend.

He said: "I think yes, I am comfortable (with Terry), absolutely. You know why? Because, guys, it's innocent until....(proven guilty). I've spoken with him.

"Is Terry an automatic starter? I hope I will have problems always when I need to choose the players.

"I saw Lescott play a really good game. He did play really well as did Jagielka.

"I'd prefer to have four good players and a problem to choose which ones play, rather than only one from whom to choose."

Capello revealed Terry, Gary Cahill, Kyle Walker, Jack Rodwell, Leighton Baines and Zamora will be amongst the starters against Sweden who were not in the first XI against Spain.

But Danny Welbeck is a fitness doubt with what Capello described as "something that gives him a little pain, little problems", with Scott Carson and Daniel Sturridge likely to be used as substitutes.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/14/john-terry-fa-racial-abuse?INTCMP=SRCH

Capello will give Bobby Zamora, Jack Rodwell and Kyle Walker their first starts for England, with the uncapped Daniel Sturridge to feature at some point from the bench. The goalkeeper Scott Carson, currently playing for Bursaspor in Turkey, is expected to play the second half. The Italian will monitor Danny Welbeck's fitness on Tuesday – the Manchester United striker has been suffering slight discomfort in his thigh – but hopes to play him up front in partnership with Zamora, which would prompt a slight tweak of the system into something approaching a 4-4-2.

The Fulham forward has been elevated above Andy Carroll in the pecking order, a reflection of both strikers' current club form, with Capello offering a reminder to the absent Liverpool player that he has work to do to earn himself a recall to the national side. "That depends on him, not on me," said the England manager when it was put to him that Carroll, only recently, had been considered this team's future. "For now I want to see Zamora play at Wembley. He's done really well recently. Against Sweden we will need to play more forward [thinking] because they will play defensively from midfield. This will be a difficult game."

FatFreddysCat

To be honest if we had anyone half decent to take his place he'd be lucky  to get in our side the way he's beem sulking on the pitch lately.Should have played more 2 seasons back, now can't see the point.