more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (15/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 15, 2011, 07:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Arsenal & Liverpool's goal happy target reveals Spurs 'goal'
Moussa Dembele would see move to Tottenham Hotspur as a step up amid interest from Arsenal and Liverpool

Fulham striker Moussa Dembele says he would see a move to Tottenham Hotspur as a step up.

Reports emerged last week that Dembele was coveted by Spurs, despite the Belgian having only netted once this season.

According to skysports.com, both Arsenal and Liverpool have expressed an interest, while a move to Tottenham interests the forward.

"It would obviously be a step higher, and that has always been my goal," he said.

"I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham. So why not step higher?"

With the future of Roman Pavlyuchenko uncertain and Jermain Defoe also linked with a move away, a move for Dembele to Tottenham might not be out of the question.

Despite the 24-year-old's form for Fulham since his move to AZ Alkmaar, which saw him net just five times for The Whites, both Arsenal and Liverpool are interested.

Arsenal's interest may become more serious if they lose Robin Van Persie next summer, while Liverpool are only likely to be go for Dembele if they lose one of their own strikers.

Dembele netted Fulham's goal of the season against Tottenham last season.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-liverpools-goal-happy-target-reveals-spurs?

WhiteJC

Dickson Etuhu: outlier

"I started football really late, at about 15 or 16. I represented my county and my school at athletics and it was exciting but I wasn't too sure which event I really liked. I was good at field events like long jump and triple jump and it was exciting times.

This (from the offal) is interesting to me. In recent times I've read two good books on the importance of practice: Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" and (drawing on some of Gladwell's work), Matthew Syed's "Bounce".

I don't know about you, but when I was growing up some people were 'good' at football and others weren't. The prevailing wisdom might be that if you practiced, or got opportunities, you might transcend your labelling (move from the B team to the A team perhaps), but you were more or less what you were.

As a child I read books about football skills but to me this meant learning how to do bicycle kicks, perfecting shots into the top corner, etc, etc. I didn't worry too much about short passing or tackling because I could do that. I could trap the ball, more or less, and I could give it to someone else. That's easy.

Until reading Gladwell and Syed, and until the current Barcelona team came into prominence, I hadn't thought too much about all this. Now I'm annoyed: if only someone had told me that by spending 25,000 practicing I could be a pro, and if only someone had told me that the basics – relentless repetition of those basics – were important in their own right, well I'd be living in a mansion now and perhaps doing the odd bit of Sky work.  You can bet your life I'd have found time to get those 25,000 hours in.

Would it have been enough?

Possibly not. Another branch of modern football is sports pyschology. There's a man named Dan Abraham who tweets a lot about the psychology of football, and almost everything he says is important is the opposite of what I used to think. I didn't play relaxed, I played petrified (an U10 coach had as much to do with this as anyone, and if I met him today I think I would say something and not let him leave until he'd explained how bullying 10 year olds helped them win football matches), and I played brilliantly in practices and then went missing in games, and then when I got into my teens I lost all self-belief and actively embraced the role of unused substitute, but THEN, when I was 15, and encouraged by friends who wanted me to play with them, I moved to the bottom of the league team, an extraordinary transformation for me... all in the mind, all in the mind.  Like everything).

The point is that even if I'd put in those 25,000 hours I mightn't have had what it takes. I doubt I'd have taken crowd barracking very well at all; I certainly wouldn't have got on well with dressing room 'banter'.  No, the more I look at it, I'm fairly sure that even in 100,000 parallel universes, in very few of them does a young me become a professional footballer.

All of which is a very long-winded way of getting back to Dickson Etuhu, who simply can't have got 25,000 hours of football practice in, but became a pro anyway.

A question here is whether this explains his lack of touch, game intelligence, and other shortcomings frequently pointed out by keyboard experts everywhere. I suspect it probably does, at least to a degree. I remember reading about Denis Bergkamp skipping school just to be with his football. Now *there's* someone who got his hours in early, surely? And there's someone who's the footballing opposite of Dickson.

All of which makes Etuhu's rise more remarkable.  Football is not an uncompetitive field, and good players, some extremely talented, are ruthlessly weeded out at every step of the journey.  Dickson Etuhu survived.  He became a pro, wasn't universally regarded, but kept on going and has forged a Premiership career.  Now we can debate his merits all we want but in some ways it doesn't really matter: Etuhu's rise is in the books; he's made it. He is a professional footballer, an international footballer.  He's played in big games, earned big money. He's achieved what we all wanted to achieve back when we were kicking balls around and pretending to be Ian Rush.

Nick Hornby talks about this sort of thing well in Fever Pitch, explaining how the hapless Gus Caesar was, despite his awful high-profile performances for Arsenal, probably a better footballer than anyone in his school, anyone in his district, and so on. He was a fine footballer, but one who was found wanting at the final hurdle because he lacked something that separates the good enough from the not good enough, and because being a footballer *is really difficult*.  Dickson Etuhu, despite not playing seriously until he was 15, has cleared that hurdle, all of these hurdles. That he was a schoolboy athlete is probably a telling clue – athleticism on the football pitch can make a big difference, especially in youth football, and especially in this country – but it isn't that simple, is it?

Fair play to Dickson Etuhu. He isn't Denis Bergkamp, but he's not meant to be. He does his job pretty well, and if Fulham have got to a point where we're aiming a little bit higher, well so be it. It's not Etuhu's fault, and there will be other Premiership clubs interested if Fulham aren't. He's arrived, and deserves all he has.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/dickson-etuhu-outlier/?

WhiteJC

Fully Committed

Whilst on international duty Mousa Dembele spoke with a number of journalists and was inevitably asked the question about recent links with Spurs. Contrary to the quotes that subsequently appeared, the player responded on fulhamfc.com with the following:

'Yes, I was asked about the links with Spurs, and I did respond that I was flattered by interest in me, because it means I am playing well, nothing more," Dembele explained. "However I am happy at Fulham and I am under contract here. I am making progress under Martin Jol and adding further dimensions to my game, so I'm happy playing here.

"I want to assure the manager, the fans and of course the Chairman, I am fully committed to the Club and that any links with other clubs are nothing but speculation, and something I am not even thinking about at this time."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/DembeleStatement.aspx?#ixzz1dl43vU00

WhiteJC

Dembele keen to move 'a step higher'

Fulham striker Moussa Dembele has talked up the prospect of testing himself somewhere a "step higher'' than Craven Cottage, admitting he welcomed reported interest from Tottenham in January.

Dembele, 24, signed from AZ Alkmaar in August 2010 and has gone on to establish himself as an important player at Fulham under Mark Hughes last season and Martin Jol in the current campaign.

But the Belgian international appears to be getting itchy feet after just over a year in west London, claiming that he views Fulham as a stepping stone to a bigger club in the future.

Dembele told Flemish newspaper De Standaard,:"I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham, so why not step higher?"

Of Tottenham's reported interest, Dembele added: "Yes, I heard that. It would obviously be a step higher, and that has always been my goal.''

Dembele maintains he is happy at Craven Cottage at the moment, though he said the chance of possibly playing in a team competing at the top end of the Premier League would be something to consider.

Dembele scored in the Cottagers' recent 2-0 win at Wigan, and believes he is "evolving'' under the guidance of Fulham's Dutch boss Martin Jol.

"My thinking has changed somewhat. I shoot much more on target,'' Dembele said. "The Fulham coach says that I am evolving. In the past, I could have gone four games and not taken a shot at goal. That no longer happens. Each match I shoot four times. I have also scored. Not enough, I know, but it will come.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/983598/fulham-forward-moussa-dembele-welcomes-reported-tottenham-interest?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

DEMBELE PLAYS DOWN SPURS LINK

Mousa Dembele has moved quickly to quash speculation linking him with a move away from Fulham.

The 24-year-old forward is currently on international duty with Belgium and reports emanated suggesting he would be open to a move away from Craven Cottage, with Tottenham mooted as a possible destination.

Spurs were reported to have had a £10million bid turned down on the final day of the January transfer window, and there have been suggestions they could return with a similar bid this winter.

But Dembele, who signed from AZ Alkmaar in August 2010, has rejected the notion he wants to leave Fulham.

"Yes, I was asked about the links with Spurs and I did respond that I was flattered by interest in me because it means I am playing well, nothing more," he said in a statement released to Press Association Sport.

"However, I am happy at Fulham and I am under contract here.

"I am making progress under Martin Jol and adding further dimensions to my game, so I'm happy playing here.

"I want to assure the manager, the fans and of course the chairman, I am fully committed to the club and that any links with other clubs are nothing but speculation, and something I am not even thinking about at this time."

Earlier, Dembele was quoted in the Belgian press as saying he would consider the chance of playing in a team competing at the top end of the Barclays Premier League.

Speaking to Flemish daily newspaper De Standaard, Dembele said: "I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham, so why not step higher?"

Of Tottenham's reported interest, Dembele added: "Yes, I heard that. It would obviously be a step higher and that has always been my goal."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/14/SOCCER_Fulham_Dembele_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

Boss faces defender dilemma

Martin Jol is facing a right-back crisis with Stephen Kelly up against it to be fit for Fulham's trip to Sunderland on Saturday.

The ex-Tottenham right back was due to replace the injured Zdenek Grygera at the Stadium of Light after the Czech defender ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament last week.

But Kelly sustained a groin injury during the Republic of Ireland's 4-0 Euro 2012 play-off win in Estonia and has been ruled out of their second leg in Dublin tomorrow.

Kelly will undergo treatment at the club in a bid to recover in time to face the Black cats but, if he fails to make it, Jol be forced into switching Chris Baird from central defence, where he has been partnering Brede Hangeland recently.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/boss-faces-defender-dilemma-1334884.html?#.TsIZ5WAlE98

WhiteJC

Dembele insists he is committed
Fulham striker forced to backtrack

Moussa Dembele: Fulham forward in action against Tottenham earlier this season

Moussa Dembele has issued a statement insisting he remains committed to Fulham, after revealing his interest in a move to Tottenham.

The Belgium international gave an interview to leading Brussels newspaper De Standaard - where he was asked about Spurs' reported interest in him.

Dembele revealed that he would regard a move to Tottenham as a 'step-up' but he has now issued a statement insisting he is committed to the Craven Cottage club.

"Yes, I was asked about the links with Spurs, and I did respond that I was flattered by interest in me, because it means I am playing well, nothing more," the forward told Fulham's official website.

"However I am happy at Fulham and I am under contract here. I am making progress under Martin Joland adding further dimensions to my game, so I'm happy playing here.

"I want to assure the manager, the fans and of course the chairman, I am fully committed to the club and that any links with other clubs are nothing but speculation, and something I am not even thinking about at this time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7308467/?

WhiteJC

Spurs target Dembele 'happy at Fulham'

Moussa Dembele is adamant that he is fully committed to Fulham despite being linked with a move from Craven Cottage.

Dembele was quoted in the Belgian media suggesting a transfer to Tottenham, who are reportedly interested in signing him, would be a "step higher."

But the forward, currently on international duty with Belgium, has subsequently moved to insist he is happy playing under Whites boss Martin Jol.

In a statement, Dembele said: "Yes, I was asked about the links with Spurs, and I did respond that I was flattered by interest in me, because it means I am playing well, nothing more.

"I am happy at Fulham and I am under contract here. I am making progress under Martin Jol and adding further dimensions to my game, so I'm happy playing here.

Dembele, 24, has scored four goals in 35 Premier League appearances since moving to west London from AZ Alkmaar in August 2010.

Spurs showed some interest in him earlier this year and have been tipped to table a bid when the transfer window re-opens in January.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/spurs-target-dembele-happy-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Kelly reports for treatment

Martin Jol is facing a right-back crisis with Stephen Kelly up against it to be fit for Fulham's trip to Sunderland on Saturday.

The ex-Tottenham right back was due to replace the injured Zdenek Grygera at the Stadium of Light after the Czech defender ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament last week.

But Kelly sustained a groin injury during the Republic of Ireland's 4-0 Euro 2012 play-off win in Estonia and has been ruled out of their second leg in Dublin tomorrow.

Kelly will undergo treatment at the club in a bid to recover in time to face the Black cats but, if he fails to make it, Jol be forced into switching Chris Baird from central defence, where he has been partnering Brede Hangeland recently.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/kelly-reports-for-treatment-1334884.html?

WhiteJC

Dembele plays down Fulham exit despite admitting Spurs would be a 'step higher'

Moussa Dembele has attempted to play down quotes suggesting he was keen for a move away from Fulham, insisting that he is merely 'flattered' by links to Tottenham.

Dembele was quoted in the Belgian press as saying he regarded a move to White Hart Lane as a 'step higher' than playing for the Cottagers.

Spurs have had two bids turned down for the 24-year-old forward, who is currently on international duty with Belgium, and the north London club have been preparing another £10million bid.

Audition: Fulham's Moussa Dembele (centre) has impressed Spurs

But Dembele, who signed from AZ Alkmaar for £5m in August 2010, has rejected the notion he wants to leave Fulham.

'Yes, I was asked about the links with Spurs and I did respond that I was flattered by interest in me because it means I am playing well, nothing more,' he said.

'However, I am happy at Fulham and I am under contract here.

'I am making progress under Martin Jol and adding further dimensions to my game, so I'm happy playing here.

Double trouble: Spurs are preparing a £10m bid for Fulham's £5m signing

'I want to assure the manager, the fans and of course the chairman, I am fully committed to the club and that any links with other clubs are nothing but speculation, and something I am not even thinking about at this time.'

Dembele had said in the Belgian press that he would consider the chance of playing in a team competing at the top end of the Barclays Premier League.

Speaking to Flemish daily newspaper De Standaard, Dembele said: 'I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham, so why not step higher?'

Of Tottenham's reported interest, Dembele added: 'Yes, I heard that. It would obviously be a step higher and that has always been my goal.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061398/Moussa-Dembele-plays-Tottenham-talk.html#ixzz1dl6KPuF0

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Mousa Dembele dismisses Tottenham link

Mousa Dembele has moved quickly to quash speculation linking him with a move away from Fulham.

The 24-year-old forward is currently on international duty with Belgium and reports emanated suggesting he would be open to a move away from Craven Cottage, with Tottenham mooted as a possible destination.

Spurs were reported to have had a £10million bid turned down on the final day of the January transfer window, and there have been suggestions they could return with a similar bid this winter.

But Dembele, who signed from AZ Alkmaar in August 2010, has rejected the notion he wants to leave Fulham.

"Yes, I was asked about the links with Spurs and I did respond that I was flattered by interest in me because it means I am playing well, nothing more," he said in a statement released to Press Association Sport.

"However, I am happy at Fulham and I am under contract here.

"I am making progress under Martin Jol and adding further dimensions to my game, so I'm happy playing here.

Earlier today, Dembele was quoted in the Belgian press as saying he would consider the chance of playing in a team competing at the top end of the Barclays Premier League.

Speaking to Flemish daily newspaper De Standaard, Dembele said: "I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham, so why not step higher?"

Of Tottenham's reported interest, Dembele added: "Yes, I heard that. It would obviously be a step higher and that has always been my goal."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-striker-mousa-dembele-dismisses-tottenham-link-6262146.html?

WhiteJC

Johnson reveals deal frustration

Fulham striker Andy Johnson has revealed his reasons for not yet penning a new deal - amid reports of strong interest from Blackburn.

Rovers are showing interest in the ex-England striker whose current deal runs out at the end of the season.

Fulham's refusal to provide him with the length of contract he wants could even see him leave in January - for a knockdown fee of £2million.

The 30-year-old is understood to want a deal through to 2015, when he will be 33, while Fulham are only thought to be offering a two-year extension.

"They have made me an offer to stay and I don't feel it's appropriate to go into the details of that offer," he told a national newspaper.

"But I have to take into account many things before I can commit my future to the club and I feel the contract should reflect my worth."

"It will be the last big contract of my career and primarily I have to do what is right by my family.

"And if the contract doesn't reflect that then I will weigh up my options.

West Brom and Leicester have also been monitoring Johnson, while there has been interest from Queens Park Rangers.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/blackburn-rovers/johnson-reveals-deal-frustration-1334892.html?#.TsIb7mAlE98

WhiteJC

Kean targets Fulham hitman

Fulham striker Andy Johnson has revealed his reasons for not yet penning a new deal - amid reports of strong interest from Blackburn.

Rovers are showing interest in the ex-England striker whose current deal runs out at the end of the season.

Fulham's refusal to provide him with the length of contract he wants could even see him leave in January - for a knockdown fee of £2million.

The 30-year-old is understood to want a deal through to 2015, when he will be 33, while Fulham are only thought to be offering a two-year extension.

"They have made me an offer to stay and I don't feel it's appropriate to go into the details of that offer," he told a national newspaper.

"But I have to take into account many things before I can commit my future to the club and I feel the contract should reflect my worth."

"It will be the last big contract of my career and primarily I have to do what is right by my family.

"And if the contract doesn't reflect that then I will weigh up my options.

West Brom and Leicester have also been monitoring Johnson, while there has been interest from Queens Park Rangers.

http://www.clubcall.com/blackburn-rovers/kean-targets-fulham-hitman-1334892.html?

WhiteJC

Print Deadline!

Free shirt printing instore
Fulham Football Club is happy to reveal an exciting offer which we guarantee will put you in the mood to start your Christmas shopping early this year. It has never been quicker or easier to purchase the stylish 2011/12 Fulham FC Replica Shirts from our Official Club stores and now, for one week only, you can make your kit as authentic as possible by adding the name and number of your favourite player to a newly purchased Fulham shirt ABSOLUTELY FREE!

So why not purchase a Home, Away or Third Shirt for the 2011/12 season and give a personal gift to a Fulham fan this Christmas by featuring their own name and number? You can save yourself £12 instore and also browse a variety of Fulham items that are perfect for celebrating Christmas in style!

You can get your shirt printed at the recently refurbished Fulham Road store and our Craven Cottage stadium store but remember, this offer is not available online and is only valid until November 20th, so come on down this week and get hold of your new, personalised Fulham FC shirt to avoid missing out!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/FreeInstorePrinting.aspx?#ixzz1dl7mSgTP

WhiteJC

Zamora`s Chance Draws Nearer

Tuesday promises to be one of the biggest days of Bobby Zamora`s career.

It`s widely expected that Bobby will be leading the line as Fabio Capello`s England take on Sweden at Wembley.

With Wayne Rooney sitting out the Euro 2012 group stages, through suspension, Capello is looking at his other striking options.

On the eve of the fixture, Zamora appears t be enjoying life in the England camp, at their base in Hertfordshire and is quoted, in the red-top press as remarking,

"It`s relaxed around the place and I`m enjoying it. Some of the boys have been playing computer games. Benty is not bad at the news Call of Duty."

"It`s nice to be part of that, you try to grow to be part of it and enjoy it. There`s a nice feeling about the camp and it was topped off with a good win. That was a great result for us."

"I`m looking forward to Tuesday, I can`t wait for the opportunity. I`m ready now. I want to play. But you`re training with the best, it`s a good education and then I`ll do my best when the chance comes. Every game does feel like a trial but you have to take your chance and that`s what I intend to do. I want to keep playing well, keep going in the league."

"It`s been a bit up and down for me recently. But you have to work hard and take your opportunities when they come."

Stick it the net a couple of times on Tuesday Bobby and Capello will think its job done!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262399#ixzz1dl81Ma75

WhiteJC

Ewood Park?

Yesterday we covered how the contract situation Andrew Johnson finds himself in continues to frustrate all the parties concerned.

With AJ holding out for the best possible deal it now appears that certain clubs have been alerted to the situation.

The first to possibly make a swoop are ambitious Blackburn Rovers who would like to lure AJ back to the north-west.

Now it`d definitely be sad to see AJ go but if he has to surely there are more promising moves than one to Blackburn Rovers.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262398#ixzz1dl8O8MTD

WhiteJC

Irritated by Fulham's Moussa Dembele

Moussa Dembele has responded to speculation linking him to Tottenham by suggesting that he'd welcome a move.

"Yes, I heard that.

It would obviously be a step higher, and that has always been my goal.

I did well last season when I was not injured, through many matches for Fulham, so why not step higher?"

I hate it when players do this. It's disrespectful to their fans, their teammates, and their manager. Why even answer the question? If a journalist asks you about a transfer rumour, there's nothing that compels you to give this kind of answer. Just be quiet.

Sometimes I wonder whether it's greed or stupidity that causes this to happen; truthfully it's probably a bit of both. If he has his eyes on a move to a bigger club, then there's little that Fulham can do about that – but this is such an ugly way of going about it.

Players have to start being more respectful, there's far too much of this going on.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/2011/11/14/irritated-by-fulhams-moussa-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Blackburn After Fulham Striker At A Cut Price £2 Million

Blackburn Rovers are interested in bringing Andrew Johnson to Ewood Park, as the striker continues to put his Fulham future in doubt.

Johnson has been in good form for Fulham this season and is currently on a £40,000 a week contract but that runs out at the end of the season and Fulham are unwilling to match that current salary and are rumoured to be asking Johnson to lower his wage demands.

Johnson is thought to have told friends that he feels the Fulham management are devaluing him as a player and its thought that although Manager Martin Jol sees him as an integral part of the Craven Cottage side, he would not stand in Johnson's way if he wanted to leave.

Blackburn are thought to be potential suitors to the 30-year-old and could be available for a cut price of £2 million if he were to move in January.

http://www.footylatest.com/blackburn-after-fulham-striker-at-a-cut-price-2-million/25340?

WhiteJC

Martin Keown: A big night for Zamora, but England must keep an eye on Ibrahimovic

Bobby Zamora has made a lot of improvements to his game. It was not so long ago the Fulham fans started singing songs about his shots ending up in row Z. Now he and Andrew Johnson are keeping them in the Premier League.

He offers Fabio Capello something different up front because he is a genuine target man. He holds up the ball well, links intelligently with the midfield and is very strong.

Big chance: Bobby Zamora brings a new dimension to England's attack

Darren Bent and Danny Welbeck are looking for the ball in behind but with Zamora you can build an attack in a different way. The one worry though is whether he will take his chances in front of goal but you cannot deny that he has caught the eye at the right time.

Take Zlat
The Swede may have disappointed on some big occasions in the Champions League but he has won league titles with five different clubs for a reason.

He is quick but the main danger is that he can shoot from anywhere and likes to take aim early. For that reason, England's defence will have to close him down and tackle him luickly so he can't get a shot away.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061507/Martin-Keown-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-stopped.html#ixzz1dlIirApn

WhiteJC

NEIL WARNOCK IN HUNT FOR FULHAM STRIKER ANDY JOHNSON AND TOTTENHAM DEFENDER SEBASTIEN BASS

NEIL WARNOCK will be handed a £15m transfer kitty in January and the QPR manager has earmarked more than £6m for Fulham striker Andy Johnson and Tottenham defender Sebastien Bassong.

Neil Warnock flew to the Middle East last week with new owner Tony Fernandes for talks.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/283778/Neil-Warnock-in-hunt-for-Fulham-striker-Andy-Johnson-and-Tottenham-defender-Sebastien-Bass?