watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zamora Not For Sale Says Jol

Started by White Noise, November 18, 2011, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

At least he is honest in admitting there was a problem.

But it seems it was blown way out of proportion by the papers (and perhaps an agent)

Burt

FULHAM manager Martin Jol insists he has no intention of selling star striker Bobby Zamora in January.

The England striker has been strongly linked with a move away from Craven Cottage in the new year after a reported training ground bust-up with his boss.

But Jol admits the Whites can't cope without their big number nine.

"He didn't play for a couple of matches away from home and we had a slight problem," said the Dutchman. "That is how important he can be.

"He's versatile - you saw against Wigan when he went out on the wing. He's not only a player who can link up. He's not an immobile number nine."

Burt

Hopefully they can bury the hatchet, move on from whatever problems they have been having, and get BZ concentrating on scoring once more.

finnster01

That is not Jol's decision to make and the same goes for Dembele or any other player. Especially when it comes to sales. Jol has a strong vote, but that's it.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BalDrick

Quote from: finnster01 on November 18, 2011, 11:43:05 AM
That is not Jol's decision to make and the same goes for Dembele or any other player. Especially when it comes to sales. Jol has a strong vote, but that's it.

Exactly - it's not the deciding vote at all. Do hope this is not to presage a toys and pram scenario when funds aren't as forthcoming as he may have hoped (which, let's face it, is the reason Hughes walked).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

Interesting, when Hughes refused to sell Schwarzer, people said: I like a manager with character who can stand up to the big clubs'

Jol does something similar and we get: 'He is not in charge of this decision' , 'lets hope he doesn't throw his toys out of the pram'

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 18, 2011, 12:14:10 PM
Interesting, when Hughes refused to sell Schwarzer, people said: I like a manager with character who can stand up to the big clubs'

Jol does something similar and we get: 'He is not in charge of this decision' , 'lets hope he doesn't throw his toys out of the pram'

He isn't. Simple fact.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: finnster01 on November 18, 2011, 12:15:25 PM

He isn't. Simple fact.

But is he less in charge than Hughes or Hodgson were?

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 18, 2011, 12:24:29 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on November 18, 2011, 12:15:25 PM

He isn't. Simple fact.

But is he less in charge than Hughes or Hodgson were?

None of us knows for sure, but if I were to venture a guess at this moment I would say there is probably less toys in Jols pram to throw out right now

TonyGilroy

The evidence seems to suggest that he has MAF's support but obviously there are financial constraints which Jol seems more ready to accept than Hughes.

I'm confident that if Zamora leaves it will be because we receive a seriously good offer and we will bring in suitable replacement(s).

I think Jol and MAF are strong enough to tell contracted players that they're staying regardless of their ambitions.

Lighthouse

Transfered from another thread -

The managers job has changed over the years. He is no longer the all powerful figure he once was. He can set out the way the team plays and the type of player he need or doesn't need. But the overall direction of the club seems to be beyond a managers remit. A PR man who runs the way the team is set up. That really is all a manager is now. I say 'all' but that is enough to screw a club. Or bring it short term success.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BalDrick

I'm just saying I hope that, if certain players are sold contrary to what Jol would have wanted (the fast-running-out contract of Dembele being the main case in point), I hope he doesn't walk - which is what Hughes did. I have nothing to know whether or not he's that type of guy but I do have a strong feeling that Mo assured Hughes of funds that weren't there when he wanted them. I do appreciate the fact Mo wants the club to become self-sufficient, and I respect that, but selling a player for whom we might receive an 8-figure offer, when he's not going to extend, is part of the self-sufficiency thing isn't it?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on November 18, 2011, 01:42:49 PM

I'm just saying I hope that, if certain players are sold contrary to what Jol would have wanted (the fast-running-out contract of Dembele being the main case in point), I hope he doesn't walk - which is what Hughes did. I have nothing to know whether or not he's that type of guy but I do have a strong feeling that Mo assured Hughes of funds that weren't there when he wanted them. I do appreciate the fact Mo wants the club to become self-sufficient, and I respect that, but selling a player for whom we might receive an 8-figure offer, when he's not going to extend, is part of the self-sufficiency thing isn't it?

I would disagree that Mark Hughes left because he was promised lots of money but then did not receive it - his contract was on its way to the lawyers to be sorted when he left. Not having huge money to spend was more likely his problem, but I dont see why Al Fayed would promise so much when Fulham's track record has always been relatively conservative. The fact that we spent circa £15m in the summer would indicate that there is money there, but I get the feeling that Hughes wanted several players priced at £15m rather than £15m total spending money.

I agree that we should sell Dembele if he definitely wont sign a new contract, but I can see where Jol is coming from - January is not the time to be flaunting your best players. If there is serious interest at the end of the year then great. We also dont know if Jol can persuade Mousa to sign a new contract.

It would really surprise me if Jol left citing lack of funds - it seems to me if he came here fully understanding what we need to do - make the squad younger, spend some money but not loads and build a team for the future. The fact he quickly went about rebuilding the squad and changing how we play would make me think he understands exactly what he needs to do.

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 18, 2011, 01:58:12 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on November 18, 2011, 01:42:49 PM

... It would really surprise me if Jol left citing lack of funds - ...

Me too. I reckon it would rather be lack of results and he wouldn't have much choice in the matter either

aussierod

The fact is, Jol and MAF have a good relationship. I think MAF has given Jol the remit of reducing the player age, not increasing the wage bill, whilst playing attractive passing football (SIMPLE). So Jol needs to carefully weed out the older players whilst intergrating the younger players in. He's obviously identified that players are cheaper on the continent so can bring in full internationals and champions league playing stars for relatively cheap amounts compared to buying from within the league.
I think Jol enjoys the ability to choose his players (unlike at Tottenham) and does not have to constantly flog off players (unlike at Ajax). Thankfully we have moved on from being the selling club which we were under Cookie (not his fault either I dont think) and we can now build upon our successes, however if someone is throwing silly money or a player refuses to sign a new contract, then they will be sold. Our players will hopefully continue to appreciate in value and we can transition other players into the squad to handle these sales.
Lighthouse, you are right, the manager no longer runs the football club as he used to (unless he has a Sir out the front of his name), but it is the CEO who signs the players, deals with the contract negotiations etc etc but this is all still based on the Managers advice, and thankfully we have a good one.
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

finnster01

Not sure if I buy into the "not a selling club" Mr AussieRod. We sold Smalling, for a good price mind you, but I think if Man U sold the England defender right now, they would make out like bandits.

I think both Dembele and Zamora is at risk no matter what Jol says

aussierod

Well in that respect, every club is a selling club or they would be a retirement lounge

Smalling for 10mill (after only a handful of Europe League games and possibly one or 2 EPL games), I'd take that in half a heartbeat again. Yes, if he left Man Utd, they would probably get more, but thats always the case with the larger sides, plus, if you play for a top 4 side, your almost certain of an international shirt regardless of your performances.

If Dembele or Zamora get sold then, that will be at the discretion of Mackintosh then, and therefore will need to be for good money, as Jol has said he wishes to keep them and we know nothing different
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

Mr Fulham

A similar position? Really??? Definitely not.

Bob will stay, end of story tbh. No need to sell him and he doesn't want to leave. That's a media-driven non-story, so stop blowing it out of proportion.