more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff 17/11/11

Started by WhiteJC, November 17, 2011, 07:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MIXED EMOTIONS FOR RODWELL & ZAMORA

Jack Rodwell and Bobby Zamora were in contrasting moods after England's historic victory over Sweden, despite experiencing similar fortunes on their full international debuts.

Both wasted gilt-edged chances to mark their first starts at senior level with a goal and they also had other opportunities to find the net at Wembley.

Otherwise, they performed reasonably well in what was England's first win over the Swedes for 43 years, but while Everton midfielder Rodwell was upbeat about his contribution, Fulham forward Zamora was decidedly less so.

That is despite the latter appearing to have a much greater chance of earning a place in Fabio Capello's European Championship squad providing the likes of Jack Wilshere and Steven Gerrard are fit.

Rodwell, who seems far more likely to be named in Great Britain's Olympic party, said: "All in all, I'm pleased.

"I managed to get in a few goalscoring positions but I felt like I should've scored maybe one or two."

Indeed, Rodwell somehow managed to send a header against the post from barely four yards.

Yet, he shrugged off the miss, saying: "Nine times out of 10, I'd have put that in the back of the net.

"I'm getting in the positions. I got in another couple of positions to get my shot in on goal as well, so I'm pleased."

Zamora, who fired into the side-netting with an almost equally presentable opportunity, dubbed his own performance "not the greatest".

He added: "I'd have liked to have put one of the two chances I had away.

"It's hard up front on your own, really.

"You've just got to work hard and try to put yourself about and that's what I tried to do.

"If I could nick a goal then that would've been brilliant.

Asked if he needed a goal to prove his international credentials, he added: "Always helps, I'm sure."

Rodwell, who also came off the bench in Saturday's shock win over Spain, refused to contemplate the prospect of gatecrashing Euro 2012, saying: "Next summer's a long way off and I'm not really thinking about that at the moment. I've got a lot of games before that.

"Obviously, getting a couple of games under my belt, it gets you the feel for it and you want as much as possible.

"The main thing is my club form and getting as many games as possible.

"That's obviously what got me the reward of the senior call-up.

"So, if I keep my feet on the ground and keep working hard at Everton then hopefully there could be more to come."

Zamora said: "I've just got to work hard at Fulham, keep doing what I'm doing.

"Obviously, the gaffer will be looking and watching and that's all I can do."

Zamora will be 30 when Euro 2012 begins, arguably his one and only chance to play in an international tournament.

The likes of Danny Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge - and possibly Andy Carroll - look certain to come to the fore in the build-up to the next World Cup.

That could also be the case for Rodwell, who played with Welbeck and Sturridge at this summer's European Under-21 Championship, along with Kyle Walker and Phil Jones.

Rodwell said: "The list goes on and there are a few more under-21s that can play as well.

"We've got a good bond.

"The squad, anyway, are good lads and they all welcomed me, the senior lads.

"There are a lot of youngsters, so they helped me as well.

"So I felt really comfortable as soon as I got with the seniors."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/16/SOCCER_England_Rodwell.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

FULHAM WANT TOM CARROLL

FULHAM want to take Tottenham's England Under-21 winger Tom Carroll on loan in January.

Fulham boss Martin Jol wants to use the highly rated 19-yearold until the end of the season to strengthen his attacking options.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/284096/Fulham-want-Tom-Carroll?

WhiteJC

Duff: This means more than 2002

Ireland winger Damien Duff has said last night's qualification for the Euro 2012 Championships means more to him than qualifying for the 2002 World Cup finals.

The Fulham midfielder said it meant a lot to him considering the 10-year wait, and the bad luck in Paris, that preceded last night's qualification.

Duff said: "It means more to me than 2002, I am obviously 10 years older and I am running out of time and maybe you appreciate things more."

He put their success last night down to the bond between the players in the team.

He said: "There is a great bond and belief within the group and I think it has grown possibly since France. Ten-fold it has improved, the spirit among the lads. We always believed."

Stephen Ward had set the Republic on their way with a close-range 31st-minute finish, and Duff felt the achievement was long overdue.

"It's an amazing feeling - it's probably even better than [reaching the World Cup in 2002 because time is running out for a few of us, so I suppose you appreciate it more now," he said.

"It's brilliant and it's about time - 25 years since we've been to the Euros and 10 since we got to a major tournament."

Defender, Sean St Ledger, was amazed at the reaction of the Irish fans to qualification last night.

St Ledger said: "It was incredible, I was also taken aback by it all really to see the amount of fans, it was unbelievable.

"It will be a night I will remember for the rest of my life."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/duff-this-means-more-than-2002-528592.html?#ixzz1dwnj3PWi

WhiteJC

Scandinavian Targeted

The gossip columns have Martin Jol interested in a player who is now out of contract.

A right-back by trade, it is being inferred that Fulham are rivaling Glasgow Celtic and Espanyol for the services of Mikael Lustig.

The Swedish right-back, currently with Rosenborg, becomes a free agent this month and is, therefore, able to sign on the dotted line immediately, making the convenience of waiting for the January transfer window insignificant.

We`ll keep you informed if anything concrete comes through on the wire!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262585#ixzz1dwo0aYJc

WhiteJC

Spurs Youngster Linked!

Midfield is definitely an area whereby we could do with an injection of youth.

Whilst I`m reticent to criticize the excellent contributions of Danny Murphy, Steve Sidwell and Dickson Etuhu in the centre of the pitch, an injection of top quality youth could give us, on occasions, an extra spark.

Therefore, with the Daily Express inferring that we`re chasing a young Spurs midfielder, I have to ask whether Martin Jol is thinking along the same lines.

The player in question though is someone I have to admit knowing very little about.

His name is Tom Carroll and, apparently, Jol is looking to bring him to Craven Cottage, from White Hart Lane, in January.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262586#ixzz1dwoEp900

WhiteJC

Zamora left deflated
England striker dubs own performance as 'not the greatest'

Bobby Zamora: Wasted a good chance on his full international debut

Bobby Zamora was left less than upbeat after making his full international debut in England's victory over Sweden.

The Fulham striker wasted a gilt-edged chance on his first start at senior level as he played 70 minutes before being replaced by Darren Bent.
England's performance was generally considered to be positive but Zamora was unhappy in his personal bid to earn a place in the finals squad for Euro 2012.

The 30-year-old, who fired into the side-netting with his presentable opportunity, dubbed his own performance, "not the greatest".

He added: "I'd have liked to have put one of the two chances I had away. It's hard up front on your own, really.

"You've just got to work hard and try to put yourself about and that's what I tried to do. If I could nick a goal then that would've been brilliant."

Asked if he needed a goal to prove his international credentials, he added: "Always helps, I'm sure."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7311862/?

WhiteJC

Duff Celebrates

The wonderful pictures transmitted from Dublin, last night, showed the Irish elation at making the Euro 2102 finals.

Having won the first leg 4-0, the second leg was always going to be a tighter affair and that proved to be the case with the two teams, Ireland and Estonia, fighting out a 1-1 draw.

With the players celebrating, having made their first major finals for several years, Damien Duff summed it up as thus,

"It`s an amazing feeling probably even better than reaching the World Cup in 2002 because time is running out for a few of us."

Having been cheated by the 'Hand of Thierry Henry` in the last occasion they were in a play-off, it would appear that justice has finally been done.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262588#ixzz1dwoz9dLl

WhiteJC

Dempsey on Target!

Away on international duty, our American hot-shot was one player who found the net.

Clint Dempsey, who recently equaled Brian McBride`s record as the American with the most Premier League goals to his name, hit the back of the net in the USA`s 3-2 win over Slovenia.

Hopefully, Clint can continue to hit the back of the net as we play Sunderland this weekend.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262589#ixzz1dwpC9ooJ

WhiteJC

Zamora`s England Wembley Debut

Making his first start for England, it`s hard to perceive how Fabio Capello reacted to Bobby Zamora`s performance.

Zamora, keen to make an impression, had a mixed outing that ended with him being substituted in the seventieth minute.

It could have been a golden night for Bobby if he hadn`t of lashed an early chance into the side-netting and then another wide.

As expected, Bobby held the ball up well when asked to and his first touch was as excellent as ever, however, he struggled to match the pace required for international football and, being honest, didn`t, we feel, do enough to force Fabio to consider him as the ideal replacement for the suspended Wayne Rooney

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=262590#ixzz1dwpPl7Tk

WhiteJC

The View From America

We've asked a guest contributor to cast his eye over the international scene in relation to how some Fulham personalities fared. Peering through the fog for a sight of Clint was Washington freelancer and Fulham nut Nathan Savin Scott

© Getty Images

The United State's Men's National Team defeated Slovenia 3-2 Tuesday night in misty Ljubljana, in a freewheeling game marked by lots of chances and the defensive organization normally reserved for a Sunday morning pub game. Players for both teams seemed to get in behind at will, and if the finishing was a touch sharper this could have been a 7-6 score line.

All in all, though, it was an encouraging win for the Yanks. When I first looked at the starting 11, all I could imagine was Klinsmann staying up the night before, in a dimly lit Slovenian hotel room, angrily scribbling down his lineup and muttering, "You want goals, America? I'll GIVE you goals."

With only two goals in their last six games, Klinsmann had had enough, putting out three attack-minded midfielders and two strikers. The Americans were going to make this an up and down affair, and Slovenia for their part seemed disinterested in slowing down the pace.

Left to deal with this maniacal up and down was the American back four, a hastily assembled collection of young and old, quick and slow. Featured in the center of this ramshackle group was an old Fulham favorite, Carlos Bocanegra, making his 100th appearance for the States. Bocanegra was fine on the day, dealing with counter attack after counter attack with a just-good-enough performance to seal a win.

And frankly it was fun to see him play again. Bocanegra isn't remembered as fondly as Brian McBride as a member of Fulham's American player legacy, but I still think he ably served us a center half and left back for a full (can it be that many?) five years.

While he never had the pace necessary to be a truly dominant defender, nor the physical presence of a Hangeland, Bocanegra was a capable defender who was an exceptional finisher on set pieces. (His five goals in the '06/'07 season were invaluable in staving off relegation.)

Bocanegra received a special crystal from USA soccer for his 100th cap, though I think he would have appreciated a little more defensive support instead of a piece of glass for his trophy cabinet.

Having a hand in both of the Americans' first two goals was another Fulham American, Clint Dempsey, who stole the ball off a poor clearance for an assist on the first, and buried a headed ball off a corner for the second, a sight we're all too used to seeing. While you could see him visibly tiring by the second half, Dempsey was still my vote for man of the match.

Klinsmann did well in cutting Dempsey free, giving Clint the 10 jersey and asking him to fill the roaming role behind the strikers, a position more and more of us are recognizing as where he belongs on the pitch.

Dempsey, for his part, did what Dempsey does. While he doesn't possess elite pace, Dempsey has developed a herky-jerky style of play that revolves around change of direction, clever footwork, and linked passing, a style that has made him extremely effective in every level I've seen him at. My favorite part of Dempsey's game is his ability to keep the ball at his feet (and his body between the man and the ball) even while executing his flurries of step-overs and the like.

Anyone who's played the game has seen this phenomenon in some players, a skill my friends and I used to call "sticky feet." It's as if, for whatever reason, the ball stays on a player's feet when it has no business doing so. It's hard to explain, and all but impossible to coach—some players just have it. Dempsey has it. The ball doesn't seem to want to leave his feet, even when others are coming in for a tackle. (Dembele, while quicker than Dempsey, doesn't always seem to have this—too often Dembele's failed moves result in him instantly losing the ball, while Dempsey seems to keep the ball stuck to his feet, even if he doesn't execute perfectly.)

As an American fan of Fulham, it's been a pleasure seeing Dempsey come into his own with the club. Each year we've seen his confidence grow, and for my mark his wonder goal over the head of Juve's stunned keeper on that beautiful European night goes down as my favorite Fulham goal ever. (No other goal has caused me to run a full lap around the house with my hands above my head.)

And Dempsey is just another member in a fine line of Americans who have contributed to Fulham. McBride is the most obvious, the fearless striker who all but carried the goal-scoring load for a few years there, and seemed to walk off every pitch with his nose or chin bloodied. It was always funny to me that for several years it was an American who carried on the tradition of the fearless aerial striker that the English so pride themselves on.

While there have been some hiccoughs along the way in regards to American players (I tend to remember Eddie Johnson's disastrous time at the Cottage much like a trauma-victim might—"It didn't happen, ok? IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"), the partnership between the US and Fulham has been a great one.

Also adding to this red, white and blue flurry was the news breaking pre match that Fulham would be bringing along another American youngster for a trial, 19-year-old striker Omar Salgado. (While I'm happy for another American at Motspur Park, I'd advise everyone not to get too excited. I watched Salgado play recently for the Vancouver Whitecaps and remarked to a friend that he seemed like "a poor man's Andy Carroll", which my friend corrected to "a homeless man's Andy Carroll." C'est la vie.)
In the end, a second win for the US under Klinsmann, and another international goal for Dempsey. If we can get Bobby scoring a few for England, we can get a nice little trend on our hands. A fine international break, but like most of us, I'm glad it's over. Let's steal three from Sunderland this weekend and make it a complete week.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/11/the_view_from_america.php?

WhiteJC

Fulham making progress regarding expanding Craven Cottage

The club announced last month about how it intends to redevelop the stadium & embarked on a consultation process with neighbours & fans.

Fulham have made positive progress with regards to expanding Craven Cottage.

The club announced last month about how it intends to redevelop the stadium and embarked on a consultation process with neighbours and fans.

"The outcome of the process was extremely positive, with the vast majority of those that either attended the consultation forum, or submitted their thoughts via the club's on-line mechanism, being in full support of the club's ambition to remain at its historic London home, and to increase the current capacity to 30,000," a club statement read.

"Subsequently, and as part of this process, the club has sent an environmental scoping document to the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham.

"This is not a planning application, but an early part of the process to assess the environmental issues associated with any subsequent development proposal.

"There are some initial drawings included in this document as this is a requirement for this exercise, but the more detailed final designs will be available in due course.

"The club is extremely pleased, that following huge support the consultation process it has been able to move forward with the next stage in its proposals.

"Further consultation will be held in early December when much more detailed plans for the stand will be on display, and we hope to submit a planning application in 2012."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_making_progress_regarding_expanding_craven_cottage_1_1128475?

WhiteJC

Sir Geoff Hurst backs Zamora for Euro 2012 place

SIR GEOFF HURST has laid down the gauntlet to Bobby Zamora to force his way into Fabio Capello's Euro 2012 squad.
Zamora started England's 1-0 friendly victory over Sweden last night but failed to impress and was replaced by Darren Bent in the second half.

However, Hurst insists the Fulham striker should be among the 23-man party Capello brings with him to Poland and Ukraine next summer.

England's 1966 World Cup hero said: "I like Zamora and think he's underrated.

"He's pushing 30 but he's got a great opportunity to put his name in the picture. He's one I like and I think he has a good chance."

With Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney suspended for the group stages of the tournament, the main striker's berth is up for grabs.

As well as Zamora and Aston Villa star Bent, United youngster Danny Welbeck and Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge, 22, are also in contention.

And Hurst — who famously capitalised on Jimmy Greaves' absence in '66 before netting a hat-trick in the final against Germany — reckons one of them can repeat his achievement and make the most of Rooney's suspension.

Hurst added: "The great thing with Wayne Rooney having three games off is that it creates a huge opportunity for the young players to make sure they're in the team or on the bench next year.

"I didn't feel pressure, I was just elated to be in the team. Jimmy Greaves is one of the greatest scorers we ever had.

"But not for one minute did I think he may be coming back. I just got on the park and did what I had been doing at club level and that was good enough to keep me in the team.

"So my advice would be to make it very difficult for Fabio Capello to keep you out of the team.

"Just be enthusiastic, do your best, take what you've been doing at club level and hope that he's the one who picks you next year.

"It's not just about current form or how they compete for their clubs. They'll be judged on how they did at international level."

Sir Geoff Hurst is supporting the Wembley Way campaign. Fans are encouraged to create their own personalised stone and get legendary status at Wembley. For further information visit wembleystadium.com/wembleyway

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3938679/Fulham-news-Sir-Geoff-Hurst-backs-Bobby-Zamora-for-Euro-2012-place.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Bolton tickets

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 17th December
Kick-Off 15:00

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders Now On Sale (unlimited tickets)
Fulham Club Members Now On Sale (unlimited tickets)
General Sale Now On Sale (unlimited tickets)
Loyalty points: 5 (more info)

Buy tickets online

Kids for a Quid

Under 16s can experience live Barclays Premier League football from just £1 in the Hammersmith, Putney and Family Sections (A, AL, K, KL) when purchased in advance (prices will increase to £5 on matchday).

Fulham Members' Club Ticket Offer - £10 Adult and £5 Junior discount

As a special 'thank you' to all of our loyal Fulham Members' Club members the Club is offering a £5 discount on match tickets for Fulham's match versus Bolton.

This offer is valid in all areas of the stadium (subject to availability, 1 per member) and expires at 5pm on Friday 9th December.

Members can purchase discounted tickets online, in person at the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1). 

My First Matchday Package

My First Matchday offers Junior supporters and an accompanying adult the opportunity to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday. Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the tunnel, pretend you're directing the players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, interview a guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and even meet a Fulham FC legend! More info and prices †

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking.

† Special offers and packages are only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices

Category C prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks P1 and P2 are Cottage Corner. Blocks A, AL, K and KL are designated Family Areas and are not available to book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/BoltonHome.aspx#ixzz1dwrhGA3M

WhiteJC

Your Views: Fans want Fulham star to sign a new deal

The next most popular player was goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer with 34 per cent

Fulham fans want contract-rebel Andy Johnson to sign a new deal at the Whites.

In last week's poll just under half of Fulham's fans wanted to keep the forward, who is stalling over a new contract.

The next most popular player was goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer with 34 per cent, while only 14 per cent would like to keep Danny Murphy.

Stephen Kelly and Csaba Somogyi picked up three and one per cent respectively, while poor Zdenek Grygera picked up no votes.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/your_views_fans_want_fulham_star_to_sign_a_new_deal_1_1128785?

WhiteJC

Fulham 'Who are You?': Sweden to Craven Cottage via Pompey

Football's back; we play Fulham on Saturday and urgently need a win. They need one, too. And where would you go to find the co-founder of the fan site that claims to be Fulham's biggest? You guessed it: an island in the Baltic Sea. Nick Bylund* helped to create

Nick Bylund, left in picture

www.hammyend.com. He is also chairman of the Swedish branch of the Fulham supporters' association. And he turns out to have deep knowledge of his adopted club, qualified admiration for al Fayed, tainted affection for Steeeeeeeeed and, well, lots more to say for himself ... he predicts another draw

Salut! Sunderland: Fulham and Sunderland find themselves at the wrong end of the table. Is it too early for either club to worry or is this an indication of a tough second half of the season to come?
I personally think it is way too early to worry, at least for Fulham. My insight and knowledge about the Mackems this season is too limited to really pass any judgment. As for Fulham we have a quite small, but very vocal group that I like to refer to as the "anti-Jol-brigade", but most of us see improvements under Jol and are willing to give him quite a lot of time still.

We've played well in many games, were we have deserved a lot more than we got from them. The second half's versus Everton, Man C and Spurs were all fantastic and we played them off the pitch. Still, we only got one point from those three games so it is quite worrying that we can play so well, create so many chances but still fail to score.
In conclusion, I think we'll turn this around sooner rather than later.

What is the story behind your support from far away for a relatively unfashionable London club?
Unfashionable?! Say what? Nah, I know what you mean and it is a question I get a lot, especially from the hordes of glory hunters we have over here. Been following Fulham since the mid-90s just before the al Fayed era started and the main reason I fell for Fulham was Craven Cottage, this magical place for football.
At the time I was doing my management internship with Hilton, in Portsmouth (of all places) and went to all Pompey games home and away. Still, they never felt like my team but I obviously needed my football fix. Can't remember the exact game but I think Pompey was bound to play Reading away at old Elm Park. The game got called off due to a blizzard, but someone realized that Craven Cottage had under-soil heating and suggested that we'd go there. About 400 of us agreed and we went towards London. When walking through Bishops Park, seeing the floodlights through the blizzard and finally the façade of the Stevenage Road stand (today the Johnny Haynes stand) I thought to myself that this is the way I want to watch my football.
The rest is, as they say, history!

You have had a number of managers in recent times, Is Martin Jol, despite your current position in the Premier, the man to take you forward or do you wish you still had one of the six other bosses – Bracewell, Tigana, Coleman, Sanchez, Hodgson or Hughes – who have been in charge since 2000?
I sometimes miss Hodgson for what he achived and his perfect manners and I finally warmed to Hughes after a rocky start last season but the way he left us shows what kind of person he is. Furthermore I also miss the football we played under Tigana. But do I want them back? NO!
I wanted Jol to take charge already last year when Ajax blocked his move to us, and is still really pleased we got him when Hughes walked out. Looking at the signings so far and the way he wants the game to be played I'm convinced he's the man for us!

What is your assessment of Mohamed al Fayed's role – and money – at the club?
The man is a true legend! He comes across as a mad man sometimes but he's OUR mad man and most fans really like him and appreciate what he's done for us. The only time he's really f***ed up was when he decided that Craven Cottage was a good place for a statue to someone who had been accused (and cleared – ed) of paedophilia.
In terms of his money, we haven't really seen much of it since we got promoted to the top flight, he did however gave us huge funds during our rise through the leagues in the late 90s and we still have a huge depts. to him, interest free mind you.
Sometimes I worry what will happen when he's no longer with us, he's not getting any younger.

So you weren't too impressed by his decision to erect a Michael Jackson statue at Craven Cottage, telling fans they could "go to hell" if they disapproved?
That was outrageous and truly p***ed many of us off. I still think the idea of painting the statue in a Chelsea replica top and let him "swim with the fishes" in the Thames is a great idea.

Do you have any thoughts on the various players and staff linked with both of our clubs: Bracewell, Lee Clark, Andy Melville, Dickson Etuhu, David Healy and in particular Steed Malbranque (I am sure to have overlooked other key names)?
Lee Clark is one of my all-time favorites at Fulham, and from what I understand he's well liked in the north east as well. With regards to Bracewell I, funnily enough, don't have an opinion about the man except that he might have been coaching the most boring to watch Fulham sides during my time following the club.
Melville and Etuhu are the same breed. Likeable guys, but with below par footballing skills for the premiership, on a good day they can/could both be fantastic though.
David Healy, poor fella! After doing amazing things for Northern Ireland I think the expectations we had on him were too great and in a sense unfair. Always enjoyed seeing him play as no matter how poor game he was having he just kept on running his socks off.
Steeeeeeeeeeeeed! Loved the player he used to be, one of the best midfielders I've seen at the club, but his personality and the way he behaved before leaving for Spurs tainted my image of him.
Do you have any memories – good, bad or amusing – of previous games between Sunderland and Fulham?
None come to mind sadly, but that might have to do with the fact that I've only seen us play on telly so far. Out of all team in the Premiership Sunderland and Norwich are the only two clubs I've never seen play against us.

What does the name Johnny Haynes mean to you and which players are the finest you have seen – or wished you had seen – in Fulham colours?
I'm a bit too young for having any memories from his playing career, but based on what I've been told, have read and seen on old footage he was truly an amazing footballer and a true gentleman. I'm of course proud that such a player will always be remembered closely with our club and the looking up at the statue of him on my walks to the Hammersmith End makes me feel good.
The finest/best player I've seen play for the Whites must be one of our current players – Brede Hangeland!
The one I wish to have seen at the club is, being Swedish and all, a player you most likely never heard of. Mr. Sten-Ove "Putte" Ramberg. My boyhood hero!

Can you think of anyone who should never have been allowed to wear those colours?
Not really! Of course we've had our fair numbers of donkeys at Fulham, but haven't really disliked many players on a personal level.

Living far away, do you feel part of the rivalries with neighboring London clubs, Chelsea or of course QPR?
I do! Not maybe in the sense of the lads who grew up locally and went to school with both sets of fans. I do hate the arrogance shown by many QP-hahas and the Dark Side up the road, but also appreciate the fact that the rivalry is "good" thing as it creates amazing games and build ups.
Last year on my way to Stamford Bridge I actually got hit by a middle aged Chelsea fan so I have first had experience of feelings going overboard on a SW6 derby day.

Name this season's top four, in order. Who will go down?
Man U
Man C
Chelsea
Spurs

Relegation; Wigan, Bolton and Wolves (I hope).

If Sunderland and/or Fulham appear in neither list, where will each club finish?
I'd say both clubs will finish 8-12, and hopefully we get the lesser number!

This was the Eduardo Question, after his dive vs Celtic, and became the Walcott Question after he publicly admitted diving and apologised for it. It is now the Barton Question (think back to Newcastle v Arsenal). That covers diving and feigning injury; what form of cheating most annoys you and what would you do to stamp it out?
All cheating p***es me off; it is supposed to be a gentleman's game played by gentlemen (supported by thugs?). I'd like to see the FA reviewing all games and punish any broken rule in retrospect. It would probably mean that we'd have loads of suspended players initially, but over time it would force all players to watch their behavior, no matter if the ref is watching. This will of course never happen as FA are clueless in all matters football!

What single step should football authorities, internationally or nationally or at club level, take to improve the game or the supporters' experience of it?
The first thing is to add a ref, or change the job description for the 4th official to be watching the games from the stands and be able to rewind the tape to swiftly give the ref accurate information. As Fifa/Uefa refuse to try out goal line technology we need a way to make sure all decisions around the goal mouth are correct!

How will you follow the Sunderland v Fulham game and what will be the result?
As all games from the EPL are televised over here I'll either watch it at home or down the pub. I think we'll see a draw, let's say two all.

Niclas Bylund on Niclas Bylund : I'm a football mad guy in my very late 30s of Swedish decent. Having lived all over Europe, including about five years in the UK, but now based back in Sweden again at the beautiful island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea. Been following Fulham since the mid-90s and was a founding member of the supporters club FFC Sweden, currently the president of FFC Sweden.

I'm also the co-founder of the largest Fulham blog on the web www.HammyEnd.com

Interview: Colin Randall

Read more: http://salutsunderland.com/2011/11/fulham-who-are-you-sweden-to-craven-cottage-via-pompey/#ixzz1dxZJezO7
Join FootballUnited.com for Real Fans & Real News

WhiteJC

Fultime Offer

In this month's edition of FulTime magazine all fans received an exclusive Jack Wolfskin flyer.

Alongside a range of winter essentials, every catalogue contains an exclusive offer for Fulham fans to receive a free Jack Wolfskin Gecko Jacket when you purchase a product from their Westfield, Reget Street or Covent Garden stores.

This fantastic offer is for a limited time only and is an exclusive for Fulham fans, so keep warm at the Cottage this winter and get along to one of the stores today.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/JackWolfskinFultime.aspx?#ixzz1dxaBlJcp

WhiteJC

Nick's Sunderland preview
by DAN on NOVEMBER 17, 2011

Nick Bylund – who doesn't post as much here as either he or I would like nowadays – has done a pre-match Q&A with Salut Sunderland ahead of Fulham's trip to the Stadium of Light on Saturday. It's worth a look.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/nicks-sunderland-preview/?

WhiteJC

Why Sunderland could recover from early setback to beat Fulham
Sunderland have conceded early in recent matches but can beat Fulham even if Martin Jol's men make a fast start.

At first glance, Sunderland look to have the upper hand ahead of their meeting with Fulham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

For while Martin Jol's men have scored just three goals in away matches so far this season, the Black Cats are the fifth best defensive team in the division.

But there is hope for Fulham as Sunderland's defensive solidity away from home has masked a greater tendency to concede at the Stadium of Light.

Only Liverpool, Manchester United and Newcastle have conceded fewer than Sunderland's six goals in away matches, yet at home Sunderland's total of seven in the goals against column is bettered by eight teams and equalled by three more.

And with the Black Cats conceding twice each to West Brom and Aston Villa in their last two home matches, despite those two sides also lacking attacking threat on their travels, the Lilywhites will hope to improve their goals scored tally on Saturday.

If Fulham score they are likely to do so early on in the game, with Sunderland having made a habit of conceding early in the recent past.

Only Stoke have let in more goals than Steve Bruce's side in the first 15 minutes of league games this season, while over 50 per cent of the goals scored against Sunderland have arrived in the first third of matches.

And with Sunderland conceding the first goal in four of their five home games so far, all this makes Fulham good bets to score the opener at the attractive odds of 6/5.

A successful £25 free bet on Fulham to score first would return £55, with the free bet available to new customers who sign up for a bwin account.

But with Sunderland having scored eight goals in their last three home matches, don't bet on Fulham's early goal to be enough for them to hold on for a win.

Instead, back Sunderland to come from behind to earn all three points and make it four games unbeaten at the Stadium of Light and consign Fulham to a fourth defeat in six on their travels.

With this in mind, a lead-lose bet in the run of play market looks good value at 15/2.

Finally, in bwin's 3Way football betting market, Sunderland go into the match as 27/20 favourites.

This leaves a draw at 21/10 with Fulham available at the same price to record only their second away victory of the season.

http://bwinbetting.com/sunderland-recover-early-setback-beat-fulham,9715.html?

WhiteJC

Winning Odds

Fulham make the long trip to Sunderland this weekend and our official on-line and in stadia betting partner, Bet Butler, rate Martin Jol's team at 9/5 to return to SW6 with all three points.

Bobby Zamora is still the best chance of grabbing the opener at 15/2 and is 15/8 to cap a great week and net at anytime during the contest.

Supporters looking for a long shot, or a goal from a set piece or corner, should look no further than Brede Hangeland, who is rated at 28/1 to score the first goal of the game.

Last season Fulham came back with a 3-0 victory and a repeat of that success is 40/1. For Fulham to win 1-0 is rated a 8/1.

Open an account with Bet Butler today and get access to all the World's best prices and follow Bet Butler on Twitter @thebetbutler for all the latest Fulham prices plus a chance to win tickets and signed shirts.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/BetButlerSunderlandPreview.aspx?#ixzz1dxbovkTh

WhiteJC

Sunderland's Vaughan likely to be on bench against Fulham

DAVID Vaughan is likely to start Saturday's Premier League clash with Fulham on the bench as Steve Bruce adopts a cautious approach with the midfielder.

Vaughan missed Sunderland's last game before the international break at Manchester United after failing to recover from a groin strain.

The 28-year-old was subsequently ruled out of Wales' friendly win over Norway last weekend and only returned to training at the Academy of Light this morning.

If fully fit, Vaughan would have been in contention to return to the starting XI after impressing in his six top-flight appearances for the Black Cats.

But boss Bruce is wary of throwing the former Blackpool man straight into the fray after just two days training, for a crucial game against fellow strugglers Fulham.

With Lee Cattermole and Jack Colback working effectively together in central midfield at Old Trafford 12 days ago, there is no urgent need for Bruce to recall Vaughan.

Bruce told the Echo: "Vaughany might be all right and we'll look at his fitness today and tomorrow.

"But when players have been out for a while and haven't trained much, I usually think twice about starting them.

"He's been out for two-and-a-half weeks and it's a tough ask to start with him after just training on Thursday and Friday.

"I thought Jack and Catts did OK at Old Trafford."

The more pressing conundrum for Bruce is who occupies the wide midfield slots, with the suspended Seb Larsson and injured Connor Wickham both ruled out against the Cottagers.

Ahmed Elmohamady is likely to provide a like-for-like replacement for Larsson on the right-hand side of midfield.

Likewise, Ji Dong-won would be the obvious stand-in for Wickham, but Bruce is wary of of handing the 20-year-old his first Premier League start after his international exertions.

Ji, criticised for his fitness and form by South Korean coach Cho Kwang-rae, played the first half for his country in last Friday's World Cup qualifying win over the UAE and was then left out of the side which embarrassingly lost in Lebanon on Tuesday.

While Bruce is not particularly concerned by Kwang-rae's attack, the Sunderland boss believes flying halfway around the world takes its toll on any player.

That could prompt Bruce to use Stephane Sessegnon in attack alongside Nicklas Bendtner, with John O'Shea returning at full-back and Kieran Richardson pushing into midfield.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/chris-young-column/sunderland_s_vaughan_likely_to_be_on_bench_against_fulham_1_3976241