watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLS - 2010 Season

Started by Steve_orino, March 12, 2010, 01:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBridefan1

I get the inner city thing, because when you have nothing to lose you can shoot for the stars. But I can only tell you from the inner city (albeit a small city) I grew up in soccer is played by more kids than other sport in the us. And the children of immigrants aren't being shoehorned into liking american football, they now are free to love soccer without much ridicule. This alone is a huge paradigm shift in the us. When I was a kid all my immigrant friends swore they loved football, probably because their dad could never watch his team on tv. All that has changed and now love of soccer is being passed on by fathers to sons they way it should be.... now I'm off to watch Fulham/ Juve at the cottage, well on tv that is...

Steve_orino

Less than a week to go; will they or won't they?

I side with the players but it seems unwise for the League as a whole not to have a season, take advantage of the enthusiasm the WC is sure to bring...dare I say record attendance levels?
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

McBridefan1

Good point Steve-O, I consider myself a fan yet I renew my interest in our own league during a World Cup year... maybe I'll splurge and pay the 100 bucks for a season ticket... It would cost more to follow a double A baseball team... so no excuse, we need to support our league.

Logicalman

Quote from: Steve_orino on March 20, 2010, 01:23:25 AM
Less than a week to go; will they or won't they?

I side with the players but it seems unwise for the League as a whole not to have a season, take advantage of the enthusiasm the WC is sure to bring...dare I say record attendance levels?

I think the players should strike, and then let the clubs send the players to Prem teams for the WC run-up!!   :dft012:  :005:

Steve_orino

GAME ON!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=758671&sec=mls&cc=5901

The link, in case you'd like to read, basically a deal was reached in the wee hours and they have a new 5 year CBA.  Glad to see there will be a season.  Need to get the family to a game before it gets too hot...
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

Philly Union v. Seattle Sounders

Philly looks like the expansion team that they are...Seattle looks much more seasoned than the 1 year they've accrued in the league.  Cool to see Keller in goal, at 40!
@Borino09

HatterDon

forgot that the match was on until the last 15 minutes or so. Glad to see those looney Emerald City dwellers goofy enough to come out on a rainy [surprise?!?!?!] Thursday night 30,000 full to cheer on the lads.

As for Keller at 40, he's got just as good a positional sense and as much command of his area as he did for the Spuds 10 years ago. He lost about 15 yards on his kick, but he didn't have that with Fulham either, and he put in good shift after good shift for us in the Great Escape season [barring a weird match at home to Liverpool, but i"m not going to quibble].

For the 5th year in a row: I solemnly swear to watch more MLS this season -- especially over on Fox where I don't have to put up with Harkes and Lalas. It's not Prem quality, but neither is France, Germany, or Italy for that matter. It's all we've got, and it's pretty good on the eyes.

COYMLS!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Steve_orino

Quote from: HatterDon on March 26, 2010, 04:03:43 AMFor the 5th year in a row: I solemnly swear to watch more MLS this season -- especially over on Fox where I don't have to put up with Harkes and Lalas.

I was so tired of listening to Harkes by the half!  That guy sux!

Lalas is horrible too but he's only there for pre, half, and post game.  ESPN really need some different commentary people - they take away from enjoying the experience.
@Borino09

finnster01

Quote from: Steve_orino on March 26, 2010, 09:52:07 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on March 26, 2010, 04:03:43 AMFor the 5th year in a row: I solemnly swear to watch more MLS this season -- especially over on Fox where I don't have to put up with Harkes and Lalas.

I was so tired of listening to Harkes by the half!  That guy sux!

Lalas is horrible too but he's only there for pre, half, and post game.  ESPN really need some different commentary people - they take away from enjoying the experience.
Amen to that!! And make sure they take that Irish nobody with them as well. He knows nothing and never did anything on the football field other than play for an Irish team nobody every heard or cared about
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

I've it in mind to watch more MLS too.  At the very least, I'd like to watch as many FCD games and try to attend 1 or 2 of them.  Might not sound like a lot but between youth soccer, an adult league, a 17 month old, and the Texas heat from June to September, it might be all I have time for.

Some links from Steve Davis (former Dallas Morning News soccer-guru-writer):
Top 10 Storylines: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_davis/03/25/davis.storylines/index.html
Western Conf Preview - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_davis/03/23/mls.west.previews/index.html
Eastern Conf Preview - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_davis/03/22/mls.east.previews/index.html
@Borino09

finnster01

Ha ha ha ha ha,

just looked up Tommy Smyth on Wiki, the Irish Leprechaun on Espn.

Please read what it says under popularity...Classic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Smyth

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Ag

Good catch Finn.

As others have said, I'm going to try and get into MLS yet again this year.  Philly were terrible, but kinda expected that.  This would be easier if there were a local team to force my support.

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on March 26, 2010, 10:29:13 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha,

Ha Ha Ha... only on wikipedia can you be lauded and slapped accross the face on the same page... classic.

He is rated as one of the most annoying commentators according to football fans...  it's funny cuz it's true.

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on March 26, 2010, 10:29:13 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha,

What's better than that is on ESPN recently, during the half-time chat, they show the bios of the presenters on screen, the usual 'Played EPL 14 years with blah, blah ...' but when it comes to that poison leprachaun, all it says is somethig like ' soccer commentator for 18 years, world cup presenter'. They are too embarrassed to even show what football clubs the richard actually played for.

In that wiki article, under personal life (where most people have their spouses name, etc), this prats reads: "His affections for the New York area were apparent on a June 12 episode of ESPN First Take, where Smyth stated that he was a New York Knicks fan."  The phrase 'Get A Life' seems to spring to mind at this point.
As for him being classed a 'Color Commentator, here's the description of such a commentator: Color commentators are often former athletes or coaches of the sport being broadcast. Well, that leaves TS out of the picture.

Steve_orino

Well, after the first week, I've seen three games:

Sea v. Phil - First game of the season, rather blah after the 2nd Sea goal
Hou v. Dal - Intrigued to see what Dal could offer after a nice run of form late last year.  Hou is always a threat and you have to respect Kinnear.  Glad Dal got a point.
Chi v. NYRB - Opened the new Stadia up there.  NY with the win.  Entertaining game as the ball moved back and forth on the pitch.  Stadia brings to question that I would like to start a new thread on...

Wished I had Fox Soccer Channel, would have seen two more games.  One more year of this Dish Contract and we're on to another provider that has FSC at a decent price!
@Borino09

McBridefan1

has anyone mentioned that Collins John and Brian McBride are a strike partnership once again... albeit in Chicago. I have followed Chi since B's return but now with John there too it's like a Fulham retirement party over there...

FFCOutpostCommander

Been a while since I read this thread, thanks for the info on leagues without relegation TimmyG. I guess I haven't watched or followed those leagues much. FOX has a few A-League games and I will tune into a match or two. Any suggestions as to good teams would be useful. As for the MLS season, I am glad that it has started. I watched both the exhibition match RBNY vs Santos, and their first home match. I had intended to go to the opener but had to pick my son and my new daughter in law to be up from Newark International at the time of the match. Did drive right by the new stadium just afterwards and there sure were a lot of fans exiting the grounds. They looked really happy with the win! Have to admit I was more interested in seeing McBride than the Red Bulls. Also glad to see them looking like business this year. Maybe a few of the locals would be up for a match there sometime? It would be great to meet a few of the FFC regulars even if it's not our team on the pitch.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

Steve_orino

Tomorrow, Thursday night...soccer night in America!  I'll be coaching the young lad's youth game so I've got both games set up for recording.

My first chance to see RSL and the Superclasico with the two LA squads battling it out...
@Borino09

Tom

Galaxy are going to be good this year even without Beckham.
Fulham for life!

YankeeJim

Tom, I have to agree that Galaxy will be very good this year. I have thought for some time that Becks didn't really make the squad better. He lacks the pace to do things on his own and the Galaxy lack the people with the ball skills to run onto his passes, crosses & corners. That, & he is a defensive liability. With him on the pitch, the rt back has to stay home. I would have liked to see him operate with a quality taget forward.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.