Peabody Programme - Ian Hislop

Started by White Noise, November 22, 2011, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: BalDrick on November 23, 2011, 03:55:34 PM
Quote from: Two Ton Ted on November 23, 2011, 12:48:34 PM
Quote from: MJG on November 23, 2011, 12:46:01 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on November 23, 2011, 10:08:11 AM
QI for instance, which has slipped from its usually high standards of late.
And nobody knows why.

IMO, it's been overexposed, so the quality wanes.

Well there's that - and the whole Alan Davies thing is starting to sound like a panto too. But also, for a few episodes this series they've had an actual expert in the relevant field on, which lowers the amusement factor (particularly when that woman who does ventriloquism was on FFS), but also Stephen Fry starts sucking up to them in a real 'please miss, me miss, I know the answer miss' way. Plus that tosspot Jupitus is sometimes on it, and I detest him.

But the simple fact is, it's starting to look well past its sell-by date - and they're only on the letter i, which I think means another 17 series. I don't mind it, and pretty well everything else on is pony, but even I can't see myself still watching in 17 series' time, particularly when I never seem to be able to remember any of the interesting stuff.
My "And nobody knows why" quote was really aimed at what they are doing in this series with the "nobody knows" card.(Not as funny or noticed as I had hoped)
I was not aiming to discuss what its gone stale, But I do think the Alan Davies is an idiot stuff is well past its sell by date.

BalDrick

Quote from: MJG on November 23, 2011, 04:19:20 PM
And nobody knows why.

Well there's that - and the whole Alan Davies thing is starting to sound like a panto too. But also, for a few episodes this series they've had an actual expert in the relevant field on, which lowers the amusement factor (particularly when that woman who does ventriloquism was on FFS), but also Stephen Fry starts sucking up to them in a real 'please miss, me miss, I know the answer miss' way. Plus that tosspot Jupitus is sometimes on it, and I detest him.

But the simple fact is, it's starting to look well past its sell-by date - and they're only on the letter i, which I think means another 17 series. I don't mind it, and pretty well everything else on is pony, but even I can't see myself still watching in 17 series' time, particularly when I never seem to be able to remember any of the interesting stuff.
My "And nobody knows why" quote was really aimed at what they are doing in this series with the "nobody knows" card.(Not as funny or noticed as I had hoped)
I was not aiming to discuss what its gone stale, But I do think the Alan Davies is an idiot stuff is well past its sell by date.

I got it, and in fact I think the Nobody Knows thing is quite interesting - nice to know there are things nobody knows, even Stephen Fry.

Wonder if they dare take Alan Davies out of it? If I were him I'd be looking for an out anyway - 17 more series will see him aged, what 50+?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

MJG

Quote from: BalDrick on November 23, 2011, 05:19:47 PM
And nobody knows why.

I got it, and in fact I think the Nobody Knows thing is quite interesting - nice to know there are things nobody knows, even Stephen Fry.

Wonder if they dare take Alan Davies out of it? If I were him I'd be looking for an out anyway - 17 more series will see him aged, what 50+?
Well as long he is not replaced by Sean Lock, does my head in. Lee Mack would be a good foil for Fry as they seem to have a dig at each other. Would give a new dynamic to the show maybe?

BalDrick

Quote from: MJG on November 23, 2011, 05:27:19 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on November 23, 2011, 05:19:47 PM
And nobody knows why.

Well as long he is not replaced by Sean Lock, does my head in. Lee Mack would be a good foil for Fry as they seem to have a dig at each other. Would give a new dynamic to the show maybe?

I hated Lee Mack at first but, partly through watching the not-as-bad-as-I'd-feared Would I Lie to You, he's growing on me. But I'm not sure that would really give the show a new lease of life, well not one that'd last too long anyway.

Sean Lock can be funny but I agree, he's not good on that programme at all. Albeit not as bad as Johnny bloody Vegas, who I despise about a million more times than Jupitus. More Victoria Coren would be good, plus her other half (David Mitchell, who is superb on that programme, actually on anything) would be good, not that either of them would fill the idiot role. Which hasn't been funny for ages anyway.

The whole thing ought to have been on the radio really thinking about it, probably would have been if it wasn't for the national institution that is Stephen Fry (and I don't like him at all doing nature programmes, he always comes across as really insincere when he's doing that thing about extinct species that Douglas Adams started with Mark Carwardine, Last Chance to See).

MJG

Ah Victoria Coren, played poker with her and all i kept looking at were her on show assets......well i lost all concentration and busted out against her..in more ways than one.

BalDrick

Quote from: MJG on November 23, 2011, 05:54:09 PM
Ah Victoria Coren, played poker with her and all i kept looking at were her on show assets......well i lost all concentration and busted out against her..in more ways than one.

God I'd love to poke her!

richie17

just finished Victoria Coren's autobiography.  she's used to the attention - one player walked up to her staring and said "There's a couple of big things we have to talk about" which is bold if nothing else. 

Agree on QI, we've stopped watching.

Also agree on Lee Mack, who I'd written off but who is actually quite funny.  I do like Sean Lock though.

Alan Davies is weird.  On his Arsenal podcast he's a full on cockney.  Also, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, he sat with some friends of mine at the crabtree pre-Arsenal once.  Brought his own beer in a carrier bag!

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

BalDrick

'just finished Victoria Coren's autobiography.'

Didn't know she'd done one - call me old-fashioned but, like greatest hits, to my mind autobiographies are something people/bands should do one of, towards the end of their career.

'Alan Davies is weird.'

He did a really good thing aboutn his childhood - despite his team, he's someone I really like nowadays.

richie17

Quote from: BalDrick on November 24, 2011, 09:29:20 AM
'just finished Victoria Coren's autobiography.'

Didn't know she'd done one - call me old-fashioned but, like greatest hits, to my mind autobiographies are something people/bands should do one of, towards the end of their career.

'Alan Davies is weird.'

He did a really good thing aboutn his childhood - despite his team, he's someone I really like nowadays.

It works because it's a poker coming of age tale really.  She won some big event and it all builds up to that, charting the rise of poker from nothing to something.  So less about her really. Well worth a look.

BalDrick

Hmm, just had a look - I like her but I'm not interested in poker at all, so think I'll pass.