News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Renaming the Riverside Stand - Al-Fayed Tribute (merged threads)

Started by zzamora, November 22, 2011, 10:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzamora

This has been brought up countless numbers of times but i've been thinking about it.

With Man Utd recently renaming their biggest stand to the "Sir Alex Ferguson Stand" I think that with the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand it should be renamed the Mohamed Al-Fayed Stand, with a possible statue where that disgusting "MJ" statue is at the moment.

The renaming of the stand would only serve as tribute to what this man has done for our club.

098.gif

HatterDon

I'm relatively new to this club, but I agree with my young but learned friend. I can't think of anyone who deserves this honor more than MAF.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Scrumpy

Quote from: HatterDon on November 22, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
I'm relatively new to this club, but I agree with my young but learned friend. I can't think of anyone who deserves this honor more than MAF.
Absolutely. The trouble is, it's not really the done thing to build one in honour of yourself.

Mind you, if anyone would.....
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

finnster01

Well I reckon it won't be renamed the Lawrie Sanchez stand
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Meerkat

I would go along with that idea be good to show him how we appreciate what he has done for the club.

Fletchino

We could all chip in and buy a big flag to take European away games would be a great tribute

White Noise

Exactly Scrumpy so where must the impetus for it come from? A toadying lackey or from the loving and grateful Fulham masses?

Could Riversiders be persuaded to take huge 'Welcome To The Mohamed Al-Fayed Stand' banners in?

finnster01

Quote from: White Noise on November 22, 2011, 10:45:42 PM
Exactly Scrumpy so where must the impetus for it come from? A toadying lackey or from the loving and grateful Fulham masses?

Could Riversiders be persuaded to take huge 'Welcome To The Mohamed Al-Fayed Stand' banners in?

You would have to wake them up first  Get Coat gif

Senior Supporter

Quote from: zzamora on November 22, 2011, 10:12:24 PM
This has been brought up countless numbers of times but i've been thinking about it.

With Man Utd recently renaming their biggest stand to the "Sir Alex Ferguson Stand" I think that with the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand it should be renamed the Mohamed Al-Fayed Stand, with a possible statue where that disgusting "MJ" statue is at the moment.

The renaming of the stand would only serve as tribute to what this man has done for our club.

098.gif

I'm in favour of that .... with the proviso that the statue isn't a scaled up version of the MAF gnome that is on sale in the club shop.  fp.gif

zzamora

WN they wouldn't be called the riversiders anymore...the al-fayeders?

White Noise

Quote from: zzamora on November 23, 2011, 07:20:08 AM

The Maffers
The Alfies
The Mohamedans
The Chairmanista

SG

Quote from: White Noise on November 23, 2011, 07:45:54 AM

The Maffers
The Alfies
The Mohamedans
The Chairmanista

Old Harrodians ?

White Noise

Quote from: SG on November 23, 2011, 08:25:32 AM
Quote from: White Noise on November 23, 2011, 07:45:54 AM

The Maffers
The Alfies
The Mohamedans
The Chairmanista

Old Harrodians ?

064.gif :Haynes The Maestro:

WhiteJC

I wonder what happened to the statue (waxwork?) of MAF that used to be in Harrods? perhaps it could welcome guests to the 'new' corporate boxes?

Airfix

Perhaps we could put the star of David on the stand.  If he doesn't like it, he can go to Hell, or Chelsea...........

093.gif

Mitch

Quote from: Scrumpy on November 22, 2011, 10:26:51 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 22, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
Absolutely. The trouble is, it's not really the done thing to build one in honour of yourself.

Mind you, if anyone would.....

Tell that to Madejski/Dave Whelan etc

If we petitioned for the new stand to be re-named as fans, it'd be brilliant and wouldn't have the stigma of renaming it yourself. Who deals with that kind of thing at the club?

cebu

Quote from: finnster01 on November 22, 2011, 10:41:04 PM

They should name something after him, the toilets perhaps?   :023:

finnster01

Quote from: cebu on November 23, 2011, 01:36:35 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on November 22, 2011, 10:41:04 PM

They should name something after him, the toilets perhaps?   :023:

I'm afraid the Lawrie Sanchez Memorial Number 2 Cubicle in the Hammy end bogs would create a health hazard as the line to make deposits would be way out the door

ClarksOriginal

I was thinking about this during the meeting I just had, I don't believe that during his tenure in charge of the club MAF will erect (tee hee hee) a statue of himself or re-name any part of the stadium or infact any part of the club. Although he is an elaborate fellow I think self-glorification is not something that would interest MAF.

he certainly seems to be more laid back during his later years, take that gnome for example. What other chairman in the league would commission such a thing!

I love MAF and I am so thankful for what he has done to this beautiful club by the Thames, but until he hangs up his boots I don't think anything will be done.

But thats just me
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

zzamora

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 23, 2011, 02:27:42 PM
I was thinking about this during the meeting I just had, I don't believe that during his tenure in charge of the club MAF will erect (tee hee hee) a statue of himself or re-name any part of the stadium or infact any part of the club. Although he is an elaborate fellow I think self-glorification is not something that would interest MAF.

he certainly seems to be more laid back during his later years, take that gnome for example. What other chairman in the league would commission such a thing!

I love MAF and I am so thankful for what he has done to this beautiful club by the Thames, but until he hangs up his boots I don't think anything will be done.

But thats just me

But Clarky, couldn't us fans organize something?