watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ruiz, Dempsey, Dembele

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, December 20, 2011, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Increasingly I am looking forward to games where these three play not only for the fact that I am watching Fulham, but because they are all so enjoyable to watch.

When was the last time I could say this about Fulham players? Under Roy we were enjoyable to watch (well at home) because we always went into a game knowing the effort would be there and we could come away with a result. Under Hughes, we were enjoyable to watch in the second half of the season against lesser teams due to our more attacking nature. But with Jol, the players seem to be the enjoyment factor. The attacking is less strucutred but this has allowed more creative players to shine.

Anyone else getting this?

VicHalomsLovechild

I thought Ruiz was playing the ball into spaces the way Bullard used to on Saturday. It won't take long for the others to start thinking the same way and going to the spaces and not look for the ball to be played at their feet. I also think that the club is getting to grips with the negative press and turning that to our advantage as well. So yes I agree with you.

Scrumpy

Was just thinking the same thing Mr Chequebook. I heard another pro on the radio saying the other day that this 4231 formation allows the front 4 to chop and change as much as they like and they can pretty-much just 'do their thing'. I can't remember which player it was, but he said that players loved playing this system (especially forwards/attacking midfielders).

I agree that I am actually excited by forthcoming matches at the moment, just to see these 3 playing together. Some of the passes they make, and attempt to make, are just lightyears ahead of most other players. A joy to watch (although a win always makes things seem better).
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

White Noise

Agree with all of that. Particularly nice to see Clint prospering in this way after spending much of the last 5 years playing in positions and roles that didn't suit him.

ImperialWhite

Yes, +1000.

These three - especially Dembele - are a joy to watch.

Several times a game I will think to myself don't do that, that'll never work! only to be pleasantly surprised when it does.

Crushing Europa League disappointment aside - I have 100% faith that Jol is going to turn us into an exciting and successful side. A Hodgson 2.0, if you like. In 2012-13 we'll be competing for the Europa - through the league (!) - once again.

ImperialWhite

Caveat: not sure we've quite cracked the "1" of the 4-2-3-1. I think Zamora could do it - or at least could pre-injury. I don't think AJ could, at least not against teams our equal or above. It worked against Bolton because we had lots of space. The 1 must be able to hold up the ball when we're under pressure (note: not receive aerial/hoof balls!). As I've said - this is what Gignac was doing for Toulouse. I think he'd be able to do it again for us. Big plus - he's only 25.

Jack Fulham

All we need now is a top striker to play in front of them.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on December 20, 2011, 02:30:22 PM
Caveat: not sure we've quite cracked the "1" of the 4-2-3-1. I think Zamora could do it - or at least could pre-injury. I don't think AJ could, at least not against teams our equal or above. It worked against Bolton because we had lots of space. The 1 must be able to hold up the ball when we're under pressure (note: not receive aerial/hoof balls!). As I've said - this is what Gignac was doing for Toulouse. I think he'd be able to do it again for us. Big plus - he's only 25.

I get the impression that the '1' needs to be (in football manager parlance) a complete striker, or in other words, a player who can both hold up the ball, create and have the pace to get in behind defences.

I agree that Bobby can do this to a certain extent, but it will be interesting to see what happens when AJ plays against Man Utd. I dont think he is the player that needs the space, because he can run into the space that Man utd will leave behind their defence, but he will have to finish the chances that are provided.

Dirk Lehmann

I think I've been 'Hodgson-ed'. If Dembele goes up front at the start but ends up in Dempsey's position after 5 minutes I'm thinking 'what is the dosy prat doing?' and I have to prod myself to remember our new directive.

It's much more enjoyable when it works thatn a rigid structure as has been mentioned but I find it horrible when it's not working because I start thinking how much better we'd be playing with a more solid framework.

On the Zamora thing, I don't think he can be involved in such fluid play unless he is one of the players with strict guidance. One of the most frustrating things I've found this season with Zamora is when he ends up out of the wing taking the ball to feet and we have no one in the middle. He isn't inclined to break for the by-line and generally nothing will ever come of it. Basically I think he needs to stay centrally.

MOR :

I used to love watching Boa, Saha and Steeeeeeed...now that was a threesome...

RMira

Great point, this thread.  I completely agree with you about the more enjoyable style of play.  It is my feeling now that we have (unfortunately) exited Europe our players will be fit and more eager to showcase during league matches.  While the upcoming stretch is a bit difficult, I could see the rest of the campaign being rather successful and fun to watch!

ElissonSnygg

Also agree, its a great combination, and with a pure goalscorer up front, we are dangerous to any team
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

MJG

the 3-1 up front was what Jol was trying earlier on in the season and he got sidetracked into playing the 442 so BZ & AJ could play.
I loved the interchanging that was going on early this season, only to be replced by the solid front 6.

It will be hit & miss while the players begin to see the benefit of the system(as it was under Roy).

I'm all for it and have been going on about how the same old players have been playing the same way for 3 to 4 years(Yes it did well but this is a new dawn), they needed a change, just as we do.