News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Renaming the Riverside Stand - Al-Fayed Tribute (merged threads)

Started by zzamora, November 22, 2011, 10:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

He definitely has a certain amount of self love, after all he added the 'Al' to his name himself. A mark of high class where he comes from, but I agree - it should be us to petition for it. Has anyone ever done an online petition and how many do we think would be needed?

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: zzamora on November 23, 2011, 02:43:40 PM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 23, 2011, 02:27:42 PM
I was thinking about this during the meeting I just had, I don't believe that during his tenure in charge of the club MAF will erect (tee hee hee) a statue of himself or re-name any part of the stadium or infact any part of the club. Although he is an elaborate fellow I think self-glorification is not something that would interest MAF.

he certainly seems to be more laid back during his later years, take that gnome for example. What other chairman in the league would commission such a thing!

I love MAF and I am so thankful for what he has done to this beautiful club by the Thames, but until he hangs up his boots I don't think anything will be done.

But thats just me

But Clarky, couldn't us fans organize something?

Quote from: Mitch on November 23, 2011, 02:45:46 PM
He definitely has a certain amount of self love, after all he added the 'Al' to his name himself. A mark of high class where he comes from, but I agree - it should be us to petition for it. Has anyone ever done an online petition and how many do we think would be needed?

I think we could organise something if we made a committee with a head and presented something to the club..... Why don't we?
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

zzamora

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 23, 2011, 03:06:33 PM
I was thinking about this during the meeting I just had, I don't believe that during his tenure in charge of the club MAF will erect (tee hee hee) a statue of himself or re-name any part of the stadium or infact any part of the club. Although he is an elaborate fellow I think self-glorification is not something that would interest MAF.

he certainly seems to be more laid back during his later years, take that gnome for example. What other chairman in the league would commission such a thing!

I love MAF and I am so thankful for what he has done to this beautiful club by the Thames, but until he hangs up his boots I don't think anything will be done.

But thats just me

I think we could organise something if we made a committee with a head and presented something to the club..... Why don't we?

I love it when I see a plan coming together... does anyone know if we have a Fulham Supporters Association?

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: zzamora on November 23, 2011, 03:08:21 PM

But thats just me

I love it when I see a plan coming together... does anyone know if we have a Fulham Supporters Association?

I don't see why we cannot make our ouwn, as with the Back to the Cottage Campaign.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

zzamora

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 23, 2011, 03:18:17 PM
Quote from: zzamora on November 23, 2011, 03:08:21 PM

But thats just me

I don't see why we cannot make our ouwn, as with the Back to the Cottage Campaign.

http://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/

Mitch

That's been un-used for a very long time as far as I am aware. I don't think a commitee or organisation etc needs to be made for this. I'd suggest a quite simple petition (name/email) that is advertised on twitter/messageboards/facebook would get a substantial number. If it fell below say 5000, then it could easily be arranged to collect further signatures outside the ground and then presented along with the online petition to the club. After all, unless they have sights on selling naming rights, why wouldn't they go with this?

Mitch

Blimey - take that back, looks like it is still up and running. That said, I think this could be done just as well by a small number of individuals.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Mitch on November 23, 2011, 03:41:58 PM
Blimey - take that back, looks like it is still up and running. That said, I think this could be done just as well by a small number of individuals.

I'm in - and I think 85%+ of this board would be too.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

ClarksOriginal

@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Fletchino

It's a really great idear guys but do you think we should wait until planing permission is granted before we demand that the new stand be name after a local hero.....!!!

Mitch

Can you edit that to say the re-developed stand? I'll sign now and bash it up on twitter.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Mitch on November 23, 2011, 04:26:54 PM
Can you edit that to say the re-developed stand? I'll sign now and bash it up on twitter.

Likewise, good thinking. Thank god for social media.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

zzamora

Quote from: Mitch on November 23, 2011, 04:26:54 PM

Not sure i can. Sorry!

NB. Too many words!  :012:

Matt

2016: Brede Hangeland Stand
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

zzamora

Mods, feel free to mix with other threads.

Me, Clarky Orginal and Mitch were having a think earlier- and we thought it would be a fitting tribute to rename the riverside stand when its rebuilt to the Mohamed Al-Fayed Stand.

Sign the petition if you agree:

https://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/alfayedstand

Thanks!

Mitch

Thanks to the 14 who have already signed. Hopefully we can have 100 by Friday night.

mrska

I'll sign...  might be a good idea if we get the redevelopment agreed to re-name it then..  deffo would be fitting...

Put the link on my facebook aswell...

im a hero..

zzamora

Quote from: mr_ska on November 23, 2011, 05:41:47 PM
I'll sign...  might be a good idea if we get the redevelopment agreed to re-name it then..  deffo would be fitting...

Put the link on my facebook aswell...

im a hero..

065.gif

Dan in Notts

I think I'm in a minority of one in not liking this idea - but no offence intended to those who are, and obviously if it did get going, and there's lots of support for it, then so be it (at least it would be better that it came from fans, than from the man himself; I just hate those egotistical folks who rename stands/grounds after themselves - much as Dave Whelan has been great for Wigan, in what mad, egotistical world does it seem a good idea to put a huge rotating DW outside the ground!?).

Anyway, back to my objection: I just think grounds should reflect the history on the pitch (as in the Johnny Haynes stand) or the location.  Admittedly, that might give us the 'Lost to a Spawny Goal in Hamburg', the 'Alan Taylor' (ouch) or the 'AutoWindscreens Shield Semi-Finalists (Southern Section)' stand... .

Another minor objection: Mo (and I am really grateful for what he's done for the club) doesn't really need anything named after him - he's not exactly starved of publicity; a REALLY radical step, which would be a real departure (and I can't see it happening), would be to name the stand after an ordinary fan (perhaps picked at random from a pot of nominees - e.g. I never knew her, and wouldn't want to presume, but someone like Mary, who organised the coach travel for years, is the sort of figure I'm thinking of).

Anway, whatever it ends up being called, the main thing is that the stand gets built, so Craven Cottage can be even better ... .