News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can Moneyball Work In The Premier League?

Started by White Noise, November 25, 2011, 07:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on November 26, 2011, 11:08:22 AM
There's the 80/20 rule in retailing. 80% of your profit is derived from 20% of you stock lines. A company tried it. Found out what were their 20% of top selling lines were and just concentrated on selling those. It didn't work. All that happened was they continued to make 80% of their profit from 20% of their lines.
Would you attract young talent without a few "Stars" in your team. Would that talent know what to do and be able to cope with a bad run? and how would you handle the cross over from young talent ready to sell at a good profit and new young talent ready and waiting in the wings?
No system works 100% of the time. By all means use whatever information is out there just don't be a slave to it.

There is also the performance evaluation invented by GE. The bottom 10% performers in each round gets automatically fired and replaced. Works in bad times (like now) when there is a high supply of talent, doesn't work in good times when jobs are plentiful because workers doesn't like to have the extra pressure when they can just quit and find a new job at a less stressful company
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

cmg

Quote from: finnster01 on November 26, 2011, 11:15:25 AM

There is also the performance evaluation invented by GE. The bottom 10% performers in each round gets automatically fired and replaced. Works in bad times (like now) when there is a high supply of talent, doesn't work in good times when jobs are plentiful because workers doesn't like to have the extra pressure when they can just quit and find a new job at a less stressful company

Sounds like fun!
I actually spent some time trying to work out which Nazi organisation was known as GE. I got as far as Geheim Einsatzgruppen (roughly speaking Secret Extermination Squad) until I realised it was probably General Electric. Still, I was on the right track.

Actually, if applied to all Prem teams (ie. if all teams had to get rid of their worst player after each match) it could turn out to be quite interesting - it would certainly tend to have an equalising affect, as the "stronger" teams' rejects were snapped up by the "weaker" teams. 

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead