watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"No-one in the team can play a pass like Murphy"

Started by rhyspabsolom, November 28, 2011, 07:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhyspabsolom

I see this bandied about in almost every thread that defends Papa Smurph. While I don't think it's time to be dropping El Capitan, let alone getting rid of him, I find myself disagreeing with this statement.

From the little we've seen of Ruiz (and I don't want to base all our hopes on a player who's barely worn the shirt) I think one thing we have seen is that he has the kind of vision and passing ability that will unlock defences in the Premier League.

Murphy is our best provider of chances, but not our ONLY provider of chances.

Discuss.

The King

True. I remember that lovely chip versus Chelsea. He is not a deep lying playmaker in the mould of Danny though, more like a number 10. He can tackle too, though.

TonyGilroy

Murphy's the best playmaker we've had since Haynes. He can't go on much longer and he won't be replaced by an identikit younger version so in my opinion the creative burden will need to be spread amongst more players which in the long run may be healthier.

The King

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 28, 2011, 08:34:01 AMin my opinion the creative burden will need to be spread amongst more players which in the long run may be healthier.

And that is what Jol is trying to do with his formations and tactics if I am correct.

richie17

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 28, 2011, 08:34:01 AM

Murphy's the best playmaker we've had since Haynes. He can't go on much longer and he won't be replaced by an identikit younger version so in my opinion the creative burden will need to be spread amongst more players which in the long run may be healthier.

Which I believe is Jol's take on the matter, too. 

Ruiz does seem to have some good vision up there.  Dempsey and Dembele are troubling me a bit though, neither seems to pass to one another at the right moment...

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: richie17 on November 28, 2011, 08:49:39 AM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 28, 2011, 08:34:01 AM

Which I believe is Jol's take on the matter, too. 

Ruiz does seem to have some good vision up there.  Dempsey and Dembele are troubling me a bit though, neither seems to pass to one another at the right moment...

I think Ruiz shows us the way that Jol wants to take this team forward. Jol himself has mentioned in interviews that he likes to play with a no.10 (cited Berbatov at Spurs) and it seems that Ruiz will be this player. He looks to me like he will become the creative hub of the team, with Murphy being more of player who keeps the ball circulating rather than being expected to create everything.

I also get the impression that Murphy loves having Ruiz and Dembele in the team - players who can keep the ball and also create, easing his burden.

Black, White and Fred

Does no one else see the potential in Gekov, sure he's young. But from what I have seen of him, there is definitely something Murphy like about his style of play. Could do with giving him a bit more game time however.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: 1879 on November 28, 2011, 10:41:44 AM
Does no one else see the potential in Gekov, sure he's young. But from what I have seen of him, there is definitely something Murphy like about his style of play. Could do with giving him a bit more game time however.

Gecov is interesting. I dont think he is like Danny Murphy exactly, but he is very comfortable on the ball and when he receives it, he always opens up his body and looks for the pass. I get the impression he is more of a  Busquets type player - recycling the ball, helping the game to flow and retaining possession.

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 28, 2011, 11:09:47 AM

... recycling the ball...

Mr AFC,
That is an interesting concept. Which bin should we put the ball in? Get Coat gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

We've seen very little of him so who knows.

He's not that young -23 I think - and Jol doesn't seem to want to give him much game time yet.

bog

I had no time for Sanchez  but there is no doubt that his signing of Murphy was a master stroke. Then along came Woy and he was reborn. As was said earlier our best creative midfielder since Johnny Haynes. The calmness he showed when chipping the ball that led to our goal on Saturday was pure class. Top player.   

Burt

I thought Murph's through ball that led to our goal at the Emirates was a thing of beauty.

To Mr Tony's point, he is the best playmaker we have seen for a long time.

os5889

Good points.

Timing however is everything. Our best playmaker but not assist maker. That said with Etuhu back in the team looks good again and Im not surprised he's now lasting 90 mins instead of 50 with the big man back in the team.

Its good the others are starting to step up with particular emphasis on Dembele and Duff but its up to the rest of the team to show they can chip in too and until that point as they play balls like the one against Wigan and Arsenal the statement "No-one in the team can play a pass like Murphy" will by in large ring true.

I cant remember a flighted ball/corner of the standard Murphy consistently produces for a long time from another one of the players in our squad.

NogoodBoyo

Sorry Rhys bach, but I've never much enjoyed being told to "discuss."  It hurts my feelings.  Makes me feel like a short-trewsed school-boy really.
Nogood "discussting itis" Boyo