more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (29/11/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 29, 2011, 07:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Striker close to Fulham comeback

ORLANDO Sa stepped up his recovery from injury with a run-out for the reserves in Monday night's draw with neighbours Chelsea.

The Portuguese striker has been sidelined for six weeks with a hamstring problem, but scored on his return to action against the Blues at Motspur Park.

Meanwhile, Stephen Kelly is expected to be fit for Thursday night's Europa League clash with FC Twente.

The Fulham full-back has been out for three weeks after suffering a groin injury on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

But Martin Jol is confident the 28-year-old will recover in time for the trip to Holland, where victory would clinch qualification from Group K.

But Steve Sidwell will miss out again after a hernia op.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/11/29/striker-close-to-fulham-comeback-82029-29862139/?#ixzz1f5xvsW6y

WhiteJC

Fulham defender set to return for FC Twente trip

STEPHEN Kelly expected to be fit for Thursday night's Europa League clash with FC Twente.

The Fulham full-back has been out for three weeks after suffering a groin injury on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

But Martin Jol is confident the 28-year-old will recover in time for the trip to Holland, where victory would clinch qualification from Group K.

Striker Orlando Sa stepped up his recovery from injury with a run-out for the reserves in Monday night's draw with neighbours Chelsea.

The Portuguese striker has been sidelined for six weeks with a hamstring problem, but scored on his return to action against the Blues at Motspur Park.

But Steve Sidwell will miss out again after a hernia op.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/11/29/fulham-defender-set-to-return-for-fc-twente-trip-64767-29862170/?

WhiteJC

Reluctant Hero

With a preference to seeing his team-mates take centre stage, as a player Tony Macedo was always a reluctant hero, but when the goalkeeping favourite from the 1950s and '60s made a long overdue return to the Cottage earlier this season, the official Fulham FC magazine, Fultime, took the opportunity to catch up with the former star.

"I didn't realise just how moved I would be by coming back," he admitted. "To be this close to the grass and looking over at the Cottage again gives me such a great feeling. If I'm honest, I didn't realise just how much I missed it.

"This is my second home and the memories I have from playing here are irreplaceable. Of course, in so many ways it has changed, but strangely it still has the same appeal – it's such a charming ground. I've always had a close affinity to the place."

It goes without saying that the game has changed considerably since the days when Macedo graced the Hammersmith and Putney End penalty areas, however, while some players of the past condemn the direction in which football has gone, Macedo is well aware that he had a front row seat in a period that arguably changed the game forever.

"We could talk about the differences all day," he explained. "While it's still 22 men and a ball, everything else that accompanies the game is virtually unrecognisable.

"Personally, I think there was more of a focus on the individual back then. I never considered myself an athlete. To me, we were entertainers. We were there to entertain the public and that's what we did.

"Don't get me wrong, football today is still very entertaining – Fulham getting to the Final of the UEFA Europa League was exciting – but it's gone down a different path. But whatever generation you were part of, you will always say that won't you? This is a sport that is evolving all of the time.

"I do think that it has lost a bit of unpredictability and that's probably a result of the amount of money that is in the game now. Football has become a big, big business.

"People talk about 'little Fulham', but in many ways this Club opened a new era. History was made the moment former Chairman, Tommy Trinder, gave Johnny Haynes £100 a week. In terms of football, that was historic.

"That stemmed directly from Jimmy Hill fighting to abolish the maximum wage as players were thereafter given the freedom to negotiate their own contracts. So the prosperity of today's footballers can be traced back to that day."

Upon his return at the Aston Villa fixture on the opening day of the season, Tony was initially wary of taking to the pitch at half-time, but when he did so he recieved a typically warm reception, while his interview was regularly punctuated by well-wishers and fans seeking autographs – one of which described him as the "finest 'keeper never to win a full England cap".

"I don't know what the fuss is all about," he declared modestly. "I wasn't an England captain like Johnny Haynes or a World Cup winner like George Cohen – I was just the guy that tried to keep the ball out."

Some 43 years on, Tony Macedo is still the reluctant hero.

To read the full Tony Macedo interview, as well as in-depth features with Fulham Manager Martin Jol, John Arne Riise and Philippe Senderos, plus a variety of insightful content including the SW6 derby reborn and the night Pelé played at the Cottage, be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 36 of Fultime magazine, available in Club shops and online.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/November/FultimeFeature.aspx?#ixzz1f5yh77Gy