watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- The Times They Have A'changed

Started by HatterDon, November 29, 2011, 02:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Last week, Ag and myself confused a huge lunchtime group at a well known burger/beer outlet by meeting up to discuss Fulham for 90 minutes or so. During the course of the conversation, I brought up the changes to football over time. I mentioned the Hungarians in the 1950s -- that we've been talking about this week -- and their influence on Alf Ramsey. I talked about the insane "don't let them train with the ball, so they'll be more hungry for it" philosophy that was prevalent during that time. Rich's mention of that stimulated this mini-essay.

We talked about the evolution of coaching and tactics for a while, and I opined that -- for me -- the biggest change in football in my lifetime was changing the rule on passing back to the keeper. Yes, the ball is lighter and more susceptible to swerving and curling. Yes, the pitches are like billiard tables and make for cleaner work along the deck. Yes the players are more fit now. Yes, there is more emphasis on tactics now.

But when goalkeepers were no longer able to pick up backpasses, bounce the ball until they found a clear patch and then boot it upfield, they had to use their feet. I guarantee that if you watch an entire televised match from the 60s, you'll hardly ever see even a top-flight goalkeeper receive a pass with his feet. With this rule change came the end of the sweeper behind the back four. We have that now, of course -- he's called the goalkeeper. Keepers became more critical to dead ball situations, to initiating attacks. Keepers are now ... footballers.

Now I'm not saying that the top flight GKs of the past couldn't play under today's rules. I am saying that they had a more stationary role, and the game was more negative and less flowing as a result.

Just a thought on a Tuesday morning.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

I didn't watch too much football back then but from what I have seen, it was quite a lot more boring. 2 points for a win was the norm then too of course, which may not have helped in the boredom stakes.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Burt

Interesting read Mr HD sir.

And there was an article on this very issue a couple of months back either in 442 or WSC, can't remember which one now.

Peabody

In answer to Baldrick. Football was just the same back then as it is today. Yes we had boring games and yes we had exciting games. Goalkeepers back then had other things too worry about, the first being that they were far less protected then, they were liable to be charged into the back of the net if they held onto the ball for to long. To emphasise this and hopefully not wishing to bore everyone . The Fulham v Newcastle game back in 1956, was up until the recent Europa cup games, was one of the most exciting I had ever seen at Fulham but as you know, they beat us by 5-4, their fifth goal was won by Vic Keeble their centre forward barging Ian Black, whilst he had both feet of the ground into the back of the net. So you see, different time, different circumstances.

Lighthouse

The rules of the game such as offside changes I think have spoilt the game. But the back pass rule has indeed made Keepers better players. Not that the game is any less boring or exciting because of it. When one watches a replay of an old game one is constantly shaken by the back pass as keepers pick the ball up. However money and the need not to lose has made our game less entertaining. The players are better than they were but the game isn't.

Shame the rules have become so complicated the simple rules are ignored. Foul throws, foul corner taking etc.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

I always think of football when i was younger as an event.

Now you can't get away from the game, yes there is more skill involved but maybe with sky, blogs, forums etc we all know too much about the players, tactics and in's and outs of a club.

The game even with a few rule changes is still the same for me, just cleaner.Clean kits, nice pitches, good stadium and on and on.

As mentioned before, when you watch an old game its the GK and the time he has with the ball that's the main difference.