more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (01/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 01, 2011, 07:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Douglas Talks About The Duel Of Leaders Of Group K

nbeaten in the group stage of the competition with four games and added 10 points, Twente receives Fulham, from England, next Thursday, on the 1st of December, at home, at Twente Stadium, to defend the group's leadership.

"It will certainly be a game full of difficulties and emotions. The group stage is in its final rounds, we are in good condition, but Fulham will come with everything to win and secure a win. But we will do everything to get another win and finish this phase undefeated," said the defender Douglas.

Twente, with two games left to the end of this stage, has seven points clear of third place Odense and has already secured a spot in the next phase. However, for the Brazilian, there is not grounds for accommodation.

"This actually serves to motivate us to keep playing weel and play better and always adding more points. We have a very good campaign and the ideal is to reach the next phase keeping this great sequence, so we will continue to seek victories, "said Douglas.

The opponents of the team of Douglas, Fulham, is in the second place on the group with seven points.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-179813.html

WhiteJC

Duff returns for Twente test

FC Twente v Fulham
FULHAM are boosted by the return of Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly for tomorrow night's trip to FC Twente.

The Irish duo missed Saturday's draw with Arsenal through injury, but have travelled to Holland for the Europa League Group K clash.

Striker Orlando Sa is also back in the reckoning after stepping up his recovery from injury with 90 minutes for the reserves on Monday night.

However, the Whites are without Chris Baird (personal reasons) and Clint Dempsey (thigh), who have been left back in England.

Steve Sidwell (hernia) and Simon Davies (knee) are also sidelined.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/11/30/duff-returns-for-twente-test-82029-29874762/?

WhiteJC

Fulham fight to keep Dembele with Lokomotiv Moscow to bid for Tottenham target in January

Lokomotiv Moscow are ready to test Fulham's resolve to hold on to striker Moussa Dembele in the January window.

The 24-year-old has been in a rich vein of form over recent weeks and manager Martin Jol insisted he was not for sale following continued interest from London rivals Tottenham.

Lokomotiv wanted Dembele last January and failed but are ready to make an £8million bid next month. Fulham are already wary of losing Andy Johnson who is out of contract in the summer.

Rich vein of form: Dembele (left) has impressed at Fulham

He has so far rejected offers of a cut-price new contract and is ready to make a decision between QPR and Blackburn in January should they agree a fee of around £2m with Fulham.

Jol has been scouting for new recruits up front and would most likely have to sell to bring in the quality he wants but does not want to risk letting players go before he has new signings agreed.

Andre-Pierre Gignac at Marseille remains an option but will be expensive.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2068300/Lokomotiv-Moscow-bid-Fulhams-Moussa-Dembele.html#ixzz1fGhq3Srf

WhiteJC

Jol admits that the Fulham is the toughest job of his career ahead of FC Twente test

Martin Jol has admitted taking charge of Fulham ranks as the most difficult period of his 20-year career in management.

The Dutchman, 55, has overseen only two wins in 13 Barclays Premier League matches as boss of Fulham, who are 15th, three points above the relegation zone.

Jol blamed a lack of strength in depth, particularly up front, but insisted the team are improving and he will look to strengthen in January.

Tough task: But Jol is relishing the challenge at Fulham

Fulham play FC Twente in Holland tonight, knowing a win would guarantee qualification to the Europa League knockout stage.

Jol, who was sacked by Tottenham during a UEFA Cup game in 2007, said: 'This is the most difficult it's been for me as a manager. We know we've been so close.

'We have a very experienced team but you need specific qualities. You need goals if you have a few injuries, like Bobby Zamora last season.

'Our aim is to get two players in every position, to do well and play different sides in all the competitions. We are getting there.

'When I spoke to (Fulham chairman Mohamed) Fayed I told him we are the oldest team in the Premier League. We lowered the average age of the squad (in the summer) but my line-up is not much different from last season. We are always looking to improve the squad.'

TV: LIVE on ESPN at 5.30pm, KO 6pm.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2068369/Martin-Jol-Fulham-toughest-job-career.html#ixzz1fGiHkQWB

WhiteJC

Lokomotiv prepare £8m bid for Dembele
by DAN on NOVEMBER 30, 2011

An update on our earlier story regarding Russian interest in Fulham forward Moussa Dembele. The Daily Mail websitecarries a report tonight claiming that Lokomotiv Moscow are lining up an £8m move for the Belgian striker when the transfer window reopens in January.

Martin Jol remains keen to keep hold of the 24 year-old, whom he regards as one of the club's prize assets as he continues to reshape his squad. Jol moved to quell reports of renewed interest from Tottenham, who have already had two bids for Dembele rebuffed, and the club released a statement to dispute quotes attributed to Dembele during the international break, which suggested that the Belgian international believed a move to White Hart Lane would be a step up.

Reports in the Italian press earlier this afternoon suggested that CSKA Moscow were also interested in the former AZ Alkmaar forward, although there has been nothing to further substantiate that claim. The reported £8m bid from Lokomotiv would fall short of the amount offered by Spurs in the past and is probably lower than Fulham's valuation of a player Jol remains desperate to retain.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/lokomotiv-prepare-8m-bid-for-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Jol: This is my toughest time in management
by DAN on NOVEMBER 30, 2011

Martin Jol has admitted that he is facing his toughest time in management as he struggles to record wins at Fulham.

The Dutchman has only managed two victories in fifteen league games since taking over from Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage, leaving Fulham just three points off the drop zone in fifteenth place. He tried to lower the average age of the top flight's oldest squad during the summer transfer window, but despite some impressive performances, the results haven't been forthcoming.

There have been positive signs of late, however. An away win at Wigan and a draw at Sunderland were followed by a battling point at Arsenal on Saturday and Fulham can book their place in the knockout stages of the Europa League should they beat FC Twente tomorrow night. Jol is confident he can turn things around.

This is the most difficult it's been for me as a manager. We know we've been so close. We have a very experienced team but you need specific qualities. You need goals if you have a few injuries, like Bobby Zamora last season.

Our aim is to get two players in every position, to do well and play different sides in all the competitions. We are getting there.

When I spoke to (Mohamed Al-) Fayed I told him we are the oldest team in the Premier League. We lowered the average age of the squad but my line-up is not much different from last season. We are always looking to improve the squad.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/11/jol-this-is-my-toughest-time-in-management/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz warns Fulham that his former club will be 'offensive'

Bryan Ruiz has not exactly started his Fulham career with a bang – more of a pop, barring one superb chipped goal against Everton – but the Londoners would be delighted to have him on the pitch tonight in the Netherlands as they face Twente in the Europa League. That they will not is thanks to Twente, from where the striker was signed for £10.6m in August and for whom he had already played in Europe this season.

But if Ruiz cannot be any use on the pitch – and his performance against Arsenal on Sunday suggests there is plenty more where that Everton goal came from – he at least can give them the lowdown on tonight's opponents, who have been one of the Netherlands' best sides in recent years. Twente were title winners in 2010 – pipping Martin Jol's Ajax – and second last season, and have already booked their place in the next round. Ruiz says Fulham, who are second in Group K, must be ready for a serious challenge.

"They will play very offensive because at home they normally do that," Ruiz said. "They will try to press us and try to keep the ball. I think we can win the game but we have to be really focused, defend well and also keep the ball when we have it. I think for sure we'll have chances so we have to convert the chances we create.

"We have to take care of Nacer Chadli, Luuk de Jong and Ola John and also Emir Bajrami – if those players play, they are very good. Twente are not having the best season but they are doing well in the Europa League, they know that they are through – but they will like to finish well."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/ruiz-warns-fulham-that-his-former-club-will-be-offensive-6270084.html?

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL'S TWENTE-20 VISION

MARTIN JOL claims managing Fulham is the toughest job he has had in 20 years as a boss.

The Dutchman returns to former club FC Twente tonight hoping to seal qualification for the knockout stage.

But Fulham are 15th in the Premier League three points above the drop zone.

Jol, who has also managed Tottenham, Hamburg and Ajax, said: "It could be my toughest job. I think so, yes. At other clubs where I've been you win six out of 10 games, and it is easier of course.

"But remember, Danny Murphy scored in 2008 in the final game at Portsmouth to keep Fulham in the top flight.

"Last season in the first half of the season they had a problem and after Christmas they improved and finished eighth.

"When Bobby Zamora was injured they had two wins out of 18 or 19 games, and then you can end up with a problem.

"Our aim is to get two players in every position, to do well and play different sides in all the competitions. We are getting there.

"We are out of the bottom three but we need the wins." Victory tonight would see Fulham through Group K.

Twente got a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage when the teams met in September but have failed to win in 12 games against English opposition.

Jol spent three years as a player at Twente and signed Bryan Ruiz from the Dutch side for £10m on deadline day.

Ruiz cannot play in the game because he is cup-tied. Fulham are also without Clint Dempsey, who has a thigh injury, and Chris Baird, who has stayed in London for personal reasons.

Fulham (probable): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Riise; Duff, Murphy, Sidwell, Dembele; Zamora, Johnson.

Twente (probable): Mihaylov; Rosales, Wisgerhof, Tiendalli, Douglas; Fer, Landzaat, Brama; De Jong, John, Chadli. Referee: Marijo Strahonja (Croatia)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/223371/Martin-Jol-s-Twente-20-vision/?

WhiteJC

Jol denies criticising Zamora's Fulham scoring record

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists Bobby Zamora has his total respect.

Zamora impressed in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Arsenal, although quotes from Jol after the match suggested he needs to become more prolific.

Asked about the comments, the Cottagers manager said: "No, I said there are more goals in us, [from] Clint Dempsey, Andrew Johnson, Bobby Zamora, Mousa Dembele and Bryan Ruiz.

"I think there are more goals in us but it is only about scoring once. I am 100% certain we will do that and defensively we are good. In the last 10 games away from home we conceded six.

"In the last five in the league, we conceded three so we are pretty organised and we create chances, as you saw against Arsenal.

"Against Sunderland and against Wigan - when we won 2-0 - we were very close.

"The thing is, like we did against Wigan, we had six or seven attempts and we scored two.

"Against Spurs we had 28 attempts and only scored an own goal so it is only a matter of confidence and getting it right, like we did against QPR.

"We scored six and it all came together so there are goals in us."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/jol-denies-criticising-zamoras-fulham-scoring-record-2418581?utm_source=main_feed

WhiteJC

FULHAM FACE COMPETITION IN RACE FOR ANDRE-PIERRE GIGNAC

FULHAM, who play FC Twente in the Europa League tonight, face competition from German side Wolfsburg for Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/287080/Fulham-face-competition-in-race-for-Andre-Pierre-Gignac?

WhiteJC

Fulham Face Opposition for Marseille Striker Andre-Pierre Gignac

Fulham look set to face opposition from Turkey in their bid to sign Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac.

The Cottagers were on the verge of signing Gignac on a season-long loan deal in the summer, but Marseille called off the move at the last minute following their own failure to secure Amauri from Juventus.

The 25-year-old has long not seen eye to eye with coach Didier Deschamps and Fulham boss Martin Jol is set to revive his interest in the January transfer window.

But now there is interest from elsewhere in Gignac's services, with Fenerbahce having asked for details about the Frenchman.

The Turkish giants are believed to have spoken to Gignac's agent to discuss how much the striker would expect to earn in Istanbul.

There is also thought to be the possibility of an approach from Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2011/12/01/fulham-face-opposition-for-marseille-striker-andre-pierre-gignac/53537/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star wants to make up for Europa League heartbreak

STEPHEN Kelly is desperate to get to the Europa League final with Fulham to make up for the heartbreak of 2010.

The Irishman failed to even make the bench for the defeat to Atletico Madrid in Hamburg, despite featuring heavily in the earlier rounds.

Martin Jol's men could clinch qualification from Group K with victory at FC Twente tonight, and Kelly, who is back in the squad following a groin problem, is determined to put things right.

He said: "It was upsetting missing out on the final to say the least, especially after playing every game building up to it.

"It was something that I was very disappointed with as I played a huge part in Fulham there. I only missed two games, and that was through injury.

"It was very frustrating and very annoying but stuff like that makes you stronger.

"I still got a me dal, but a runners-up me dal when you haven't played's not great. It's disappointing but hopefully I might get an opportunity again this season."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/01/fulham-star-wants-to-make-up-for-europa-league-heartbreak-82029-29873581/?#ixzz1fGkyaOTf

WhiteJC

VIDEO: Watch the striker Fulham are after

Fulham face competition from German side Wolfsburg as they try to sign France striker Andre-Pierre Gignac.

Martin Jol missed out on a deadline-day move for the Marseille star in the summer, but is now weighing up another move.

The powerfully-built six-footer, who turns 26 next week, has been frozen out at his club and relegated to the reserves.

Here's Gignac in action (and seemingly proving that the camera DOES add 20lb):

André Pierre Gignac Goals and Skills

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-gossip-Andre-Pierre-Gignac-Marseille-and-France-striker-wanted-by-Cottagers-and-Wolfsburg-article836777.html

WhiteJC

Martin Jol ready for Twente

Fulham manager Martin Jol is preparing for a tough clash against his former club FC Twente tonight.

The west Londoners lie behind the 'Tukkers' in Europa League Group K, but know that victory in Holland will seal their progression to the last 32.

Jol played for Twente between 1979 and 1982 and, while confident of the Cottagers' ability, expects a tough match at De Grolsch Veste.

"I feel that they will probably think about changing the line-up but not in the way we do in England," he said.

"There could be two, three or four other players, but they are at home so have to show what they are capable of. Twente have developed into a very good club. When I was here they were getting [crowds of] 10,000 and now they are getting over 20,000 all the time.

"It is getting bigger and bigger so getting results goes with that responsibility. They have showed that over the past three or four years.

"It was a nice club [when I played there]. We had good players and maybe we didn't realise how good we were. We were always a good club but, over the past four or five years, they have gone to the Champions League level or at least to the qualification stage.

"They were champions two years ago and that was awesome. They had 86 points and Ajax had 85 points [when I was manager] so we missed out by one point. I feel FC Twente are playing good football, play for results and it is a very good club."

Fulham will look for victory today without key first-team players Clint Dempsey and Chris Baird. Dempsey will miss the clash with a thigh complaint, while Northern Ireland defender Baird is out due to personal reasons.

Steve Sidwell remains out with a hernia injury, while Bryan Ruiz is ineligible to face his former club.

The Costa Rica international departed Twente for west London in the summer, but will be at the match today as he will be honoured by his former club.

"I think they have something up their sleeve," Jol said. "They want to celebrate something with him, a little party before or after the game.

"He asked if he could go there with his girlfriend and I gave him permission."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24016357-martin-jol-ready-for-twente.do?

WhiteJC

Football transfer rumours: Fulham to sign André-Pierre Gignac?
Today's Mill predicted this in the shower

André-Pierre Gignac hears he's off to Fulham. Photograph: Francois Mori/AP

Scientists have worked for many generations to establish a formula for the perfect rumour. For years reporters laboured under the false impression that Foreign-Sounding Player + Famous Club was all that was required, but recent advances in research methods have shown us that the matter is actually far more complicated.

For starters, the club in question needs to be assessed – are we talking about a successful team, or simply one whose fans believe that they are relevant even though they last won trophies two weeks before Noddy Holder's last hairstyle? Those supporters – how likely are they to abandon a working day to stand outside their stadium to welcome a nonexistent signing? And, even if the rumour is totally false, is there any spurious information that could be thrown in to make it seem real?

Such considerations led to the widespread adoption of the following equation in newspaper offices worldwide: Rumour Strength =((Foreignness of Player + Famousness of Club) x ((Fan Expectations/Trophies Won in Last Five Years) + St James' Park Effect)) + Spurious Fact². And yet, even this formula missed out one key element: conviction of delivery.

It's all very well coming up with a glorious and unlikely piece of transfer twaddle, but it won't do you any good if you accompany it with an acknowledgement that it probably won't happen. Case in point: this morning's Gazzetta dello Sport, who note that Cristiano Ronaldo is looking to buy a house near Lake Como, and therefore could be on his way to Milan or Internazionale. But then accompany that suggestion with the phrase: "A deal seems improbable".

The Daily Mirror has no such qualms about its own big splash – Arsenal launching a "stunning" £30m bid for Borussia Dortmund's Mario Götze. They do, however, raise another imperfection in the Rumour Strength formula shown above. The final sum ought really to be divided by Number of Times We've Heard This One Before.

A trickier aspect to assess is that of corroborating sources. On the one hand, if more than one newspaper reports the same piece of transfer gossip, then it may gain greater traction among the readership. On the other hand, those papers can no longer preface the story with the word EXCLUSIVE!! Well, unless they just decide to anyway. Sharing stories today are the Mirror and Daily Mail, who both say Fulham are laying down a line of Tastykakes to lead André-Pierre Gignac all the way to west London.

Making way for Gignac at Craven Cottage will be Moussa Dembélé, who is wanted by Lokomotiv Moscow. The Premier League will not go short of attacking players called Moussa for long, however, as the Senegal centre-forward Moussa Sow is apparently pleading right this second for Arsenal to come and rescue him from Lille.

Elsewhere, this morning, Liverpool and Chelsea are said to be duking it out for the services of "new Cristiano Ronaldo" Lucas Ocampos, of River Plate; Manchester United fear that the 18-year-old Paul Pogba could soon be joining their noisy neighbours at the Etihad Stadium after talks over a new deal stalled; and Tottenham are planning January bids for Blackburn's Junior Hoilett and Chelsea's Nicolas Anelka.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/01/football-transfer-rumours-fulham-gignac?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

WhiteJC

Cottage duo back for Euro trip

Fulham will be boosted by the return of Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly for the Europa League Group K clash away at FC Twente.

The Republic of Ireland international duo were both ruled out of Saturday's 1-1 draw against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium due to injury. However, boss Martin Jol is set to draft both Duff and Kelly back into his starting XI for the relatively short trip to the Netherlands for their penultimate group game.

Striker Orlando Sa is also set to be in the squad after proving his fitness for the reserves on Monday evening, but Chris Baird and Clint Dempsey have not travelled due to personal reasons and a thigh problem respectively.

Steve Sidwell and Simon Davies also remain sidelined due to respective hernia and knee injuries with Bryan Ruiz ineligible.

Jol, who played for Twente between 1979 and 1982, is expecting a tough game at De Grolsch Veste, but is hoping the Cottagers can secure the win they need to progress to the knockout stages of the Europa League.

"I feel that they will probably think about changing the line-up but not in the way we do in England," he said.

"There could be two, three or four other players, but they are at home so have to show what they are capable of. Twente have developed into a very good club. When I was here they were getting [crowds of] 10,000 and now they are getting over 20,000 all the time.

"It is getting bigger and bigger so getting results goes with that responsibility. They have showed that over the past three or four years."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottage-duo-back-for-euro-trip-1346060.html?#.Ttdox2AcI98

WhiteJC

Russians join race for Cottage ace

Fulham could face a fight to keep hold of midfielder Moussa Dembele after it emerged that Lokomotiv Moscow are set to bid £8million.
The Russian outfit are reportedly the latest in a line of big clubs to express an interest in the highly-rated 24-year-old Belgium international, who has 18 months remaining on the contract he signed in summer 2010 when former boss Mark Hughes paid £5million to AZ Alkmaar for his signature.

Dembele, who has been compared to Tottenham's Dutch star Rafael van der Vaart, has been heavily linked with a move to join Harry Redknapp's men, while Liverpool were recently tipped to lodge a January bid.

However Lokomotiv Moscow are now looking to try and entice the Cottagers with an £8million offer which could result in their rivals CSKA Moscow also joining the battle for Dembele's services.

It is thought £8million would still fall below boss Martin Jol's valuation of the player, who he rates very highly and is desperate to keep at Craven Cottage.

He recently said: "Dembele will learn and go on to become one of the best players in the Premier League."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/russians-join-race-for-cottage-ace-1346064.html?#.TtdpDWAcI98

WhiteJC

Jol braced for tough Twente task

Fulham manager Martin Jol expects Twente Enschede to ring the changes for Thursday's Europa League clash in Holland, but the Dutchman is preparing for a tough clash against his former club.

The Cottagers head to Enschede, where Jol played between 1979 and 1982, in second place in Group K but know that victory against the group leaders will seal their progression to the last 32.

And despite Twente having all but qualified for the next phase, Jol expects the club to put up a good fight at De Grolsch Veste.

Jol said: "I feel that they will probably think about changing the line-up but not in the way we do in England. There could be two, three or four other players, but they are at home so have to show what they are capable of.

"Twente have developed into a very good club. When I was here they were getting [crowds of] 10,000 and now they are getting over 20,000 all the time. It is getting bigger and bigger so getting results goes with that responsibility. They have showed that over the past three or four years.

"It was a nice club [when I played there]. We had good players and maybe we didn't realise how good we were. We were always a good club but, over the past four or five years, they have gone to the Champions League level or at least to the qualification stage.

"They were champions two years ago and that was awesome. They had 86 points and Ajax had 85 points [when I was manager] so we missed out by one point. I feel FC Twente are playing good football, play for results and it is a very good club.''

Fulham will look for victory without key first-team players Clint Dempsey and Chris Baird. Dempsey will miss the clash with a thigh complaint, while Northern Ireland defender Baird is out due to personal reasons.

Steve Sidwell remains out with a hernia injury, while Bryan Ruiz is ineligible to face his former club. The Costa Rica international departed Twente for west London in the summer, but will be at the match on Thursday as he will be honoured by his former club.

"I think they have something up their sleeve,'' Jol said. "They want to celebrate something with him, a little party before or after the game. He asked if he could go there with his girlfriend and I gave him permission.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/990656/jol-braced-for-tough-twente-task?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

FC Twente v Fulham preview
Dempsey and Baird unavailable; Adriaanse set to make changes

Fulham could qualify for the last 32 of the Europa League with victory over FC Twente in Group K on Thursday night.

The Craven Cottage club will kick-off in Enschede sitting three points behind their Dutch hosts after four matches.

But manager Martin Jol, who played for Twente between 1979 and 1982, knows a victory in his homeland would earn a place in the knockout stages.

The Andy Johnson-inspired 4-1 win over Wisla Krakow on Matchday Four provided Fulham, finalists in 2010, with an excellent chance to progress having already come through three qualifying rounds and the play-offs.

But Jol, who saw his side held to a 1-1 draw by Twente at Craven Cottage in September, knows his former club represent a significant test, although he is expecting counterpart Co Adriaanse to rotate his squad.

Jol said: "I feel that they will probably think about changing the line-up but not in the way we do in England.

Key

"There could be two, three or four other players, but they are at home so have to show what they are capable of."

Twente are unbeaten in Group K and have already secured progression to the knockout stages, which will be a factor in their probable changed starting XI.

But, if he plays, striker Luuk de Jong will be a man to beware after scoring eight league goals this season to guide Twente to third in the Eredivisie.

Fulham will look for victory without key first-team players Clint Dempsey and Chris Baird.

Dempsey will miss the clash with a thigh complaint, while Northern Ireland defender Baird is out due to personal reasons.

Steve Sidwell remains out with a hernia injury, while Bryan Ruiz is ineligible to face his former club.

The Costa Rica international departed Twente for West London in the summer, but will be at the match, as he will be honoured by his former club.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3447390,00.html?

WhiteJC

Jol expects Twente test for Fulham

Fulham manager Martin Jol expects Twente Enschede to ring the changes for Thursday's Europa League clash in Holland, but the Dutchman is preparing for a tough clash against his former club.

The Cottagers head to Enschede, where Jol played between 1979 and 1982, in second place in Group K but know that victory against the group leaders will seal their progression to the last 32.

And despite Twente having all but qualified for the next phase, Jol expects the club to put up a good fight at De Grolsch Veste.

Jol said: "I feel that they will probably think about changing the line-up but not in the way we do in England. There could be two, three or four other players, but they are at home so have to show what they are capable of.

"Twente have developed into a very good club. When I was here they were getting [crowds of] 10,000 and now they are getting over 20,000 all the time. It is getting bigger and bigger so getting results goes with that responsibility. They have showed that over the past three or four years.

"They were champions two years ago and that was awesome. They had 86 points and Ajax had 85 points [when I was manager at Ajax] so we missed out by one point. I feel FC Twente are playing good football, play for results and it is a very good club.''

Fulham will look for victory without key first-team players Clint Dempsey and Chris Baird. Dempsey will miss the clash with a thigh complaint, while Northern Ireland defender Baird is out due to personal reasons.

Steve Sidwell remains out with a hernia injury, while Bryan Ruiz is ineligible to face his former club. The Costa Rica international departed Twente for west London in the summer, but will be at the match on Thursday as he will be honoured by his former club.

"I think they have something up their sleeve,'' Jol said. "They want to celebrate something with him, a little party before or after the game. He asked if he could go there with his girlfriend and I gave him permission.''

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/124232.html?CMP=OTC-RSS