watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FC Twente supporters: A good news story

Started by The Doctor, December 03, 2011, 10:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor

Interesting to read the accounts of what happened in the cinema complex just before the game.  My little crowd got there just after the skirmish and were wondering what had happened.  Can well believe that some of the Twente fans were looking for bother - we had one make a half-arsed attempt at starting on us.  But it soon became apparent to him that shouting "I hate English" wasn't as intimidating or inflammatory as he'd hoped and he soon skulked off.

Anyway, I digress.  As has been pointed out before all clubs have a band of idiots.  Fortuntately for us, we had an encounter with one Twente fan who I hope represents the decent majority.  One of my mates is absolutely hopeless at finding his way around anywhere and has a tendency after a few beers to wander off for a little explore and get completely lost.  This he did again about an hour before kick off on Thursday (we really should look into buying him one of those kiddie harnesses...).  But this time he completely surpassed himself by managing to drop his phone somewhere so not only was he lost, he was incommunicado.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to ring him blissfully unaware that he's not got his phone any more.  It's half an hour to kick off and things are looking desperate...do we abandon our "no man left behind" policy and hope he realises he's got his ticket or wait until everyone's inside and then try to find him in the empty complex?  As I'm pondering this, I get a call from The Wanderer's wife.  It turns out a Twente fan has found the phone in the car park and has called the number stored as "home" to try and get word to someone that they've lost their phone.  Understandably, my mate's missus is more concerned about where's he's got to than where his phone is.  Anyway, we give the Dutch chap my number and he phones me up to let me know where his is and we meet up just before kick off for him to return my mate's phone. 

I'll not bore you with the rest of the story, suffice to say I tracked down my mate at half-time and tore him a new one.  But it should be acknowledged that the Twente fan went above and beyond the call of duty to get that phone returned to it's rightful owner.   :medal:  As I say, I hope he's representative of most of their fans and just felt it worth recording our gratitude to him somewhere.  I realise this sentiment would probably be best recorded on one of their forums, but all the ones I can find are in Dutch so there's no hope of me navigating my way around there never mind posting a coherent message

Burt

Good to hear this, to balance out the idiot element of their fan base.

As you say, I suspect he is like the majority of their fans.

Gozorich

As Burt says, good to hear.

Maybe Sipwell could translate it for you, I know he is Belgian but they often understand Dutch. Even if you put it on their site in English I'm sure they would understand it. Would be a nice touch.

BalDrick

Wow, that really is above and beyond the call isn't it? I'd like to think I'd perhaps give the phone to a steward or a policeman but to go through it and phone home is amazing.

As for your mate, I'd advise telling him he's on a yellow card for that and next time you'll be making your way to the ground and not farting about waiting for him! And not inviting him the time after that!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

SHADY1

Even at the height of the trouble in the bar many of their fans were really friendly and we had no issues with them at all ... they seemed shocked and embarrassed  by it all ....they will be on their web sies no doubt slagging off their small minority...
Glad to hear your story i'm sure the other way around Fulham fans would have done the same  079.gif..
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Mitch

Had A LOT of their fans after the game asking leading questions and looking for a rise out of us about the match. Typical Dutch from what I've seen. Arrogance and poor humour only matched by South Africans in my experience.

EDIT - not that what that bloke did wasn't nice!