more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (06/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 06, 2011, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

A Fantastic Win

Stephen Kelly hailed "a fantastic win" on Monday night after Fulham defeated on-form Liverpool 1-0 at Craven Cottage.

In a thrilling, all-action, end-to-end contest, the Whites found the breakthrough that their visitors could not and defended resolutely at the other end to thwart and frustrate the dangerous Reds attack to secure a valuable three points.

"It was a fantastic win and one we needed, plus we're delighted to have kept a clean sheet, thanks in no small part to Schwarzy who pulled off a few great saves and kept us in it at times," enthused the right-back. "But we created a lot of chances ourselves and as soon as they had a man sent off, it tipped in our favour.

"It was a good result that's really boosted us - a good performance that hopefully we can build upon now."

Entering the game, some sections of the media were dismissive of Fulham's chances, taking the two clubs' recent results as the only indicator of a likely outcome. But, as the Republic of Ireland international was quick to point out, his team's performances have warranted a result like this for some time.

"It's been coming," he said. "Throughout the season we've played well and not got results. Against Man City we played well, Blackburn at home, Everton, against Tottenham in the second-half... There've been games when we've performed to a high level and just not got the result, but today one turned in our favour.

"It's not often that a 'keeper like Reina spills a ball like that and luckily enough Clint was there to pounce on the opportunity, which was the little bit of luck we needed."

However, few could reasonably describe this result as fortuitous, as Fulham created their own luck, attacking with purpose and forcing Pepe Reina into a succession of world class saves before eventually finding the net through Dempsey.

"We had a lot of chances in the game, from early on when Mousa had a one-on-one with the 'keeper and at the same time I thought we were limiting them to shots from distance and set pieces," Kelly assessed.

"Apart from that, from open play there wasn't a major amount of opportunities created by them. Plus every time we went forward we looked dangerous – like we would create an opportunity: Mousa's dribbling, Bobby's hold-up play, Clint's link-up work... And the same goes for Bryan who is looking fitter and getting more involved. So I think we looked solid from the back and, attacking-wise, we looked dangerous as well."

Kelly and his fellow defenders were particularly worthy of praise after a brave display that saw them throw their bodies on the line on numerous occasions to deny the advances of the lively Luis Suarez and Craig Bellamy.

"We were just trying to block stuff," said Kelly matter-of-factly. "With the quality they have, they will get their shots on target, so that was something we knew we had to be aware of and keep to a minimum.

"Thankfully the ones that did get through, Schwarz was able to give us a helping hand with, but the rest of the time we just tried to stay focused and make those blocks – that was our main contribution to the result."

The result, and indeed performance, will have come as a timely boost to Martin Jol's side at the start of a busy December of big fixtures, including games against the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea.

"It certainly gives us the confidence that we can go out and get results against teams that are expected to be in the top four, which sets us up well going into the Christmas period," the defender concurred.

But before those games comes Saturday's trip to the Liberty Stadium where newly promoted Swansea have lost just once so far this season.

"They're a very good attacking side and you have to give them credit for their results so far this season, but after today we can go there with confidence," previewed Stephen. "Even against Twente we played well, so if we go there with a positive attitude and belief on the back of this result then I don't see why we can't get a win away from home."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/StephenKellyLiverpoolReview.aspx?#ixzz1flJz21Eq

WhiteJC

Cottagers sweat on Murphy's fitness

Fulham's much-needed win over Liverpool on Monday night came at a cost after skipper Danny Murphy picked up an ankle injury.

The former Reds midfielder limped off in stoppage time with the problem and was replaced by Marcel Gecov in stoppage time.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol fears he could now be set for an extended spell on the sidelines.

"I think it is a bad one," said Jol.

"His ankle has swollen up and I don't think he will play in the next match.

"It could be a couple of weeks or it could be a few weeks, but hopefully just one match."

Murphy has been an ever-present in the Fulham side this season, scoring one goal and contributing five assists.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-sweat-on-murphys-fitness-1349998.html?

WhiteJC

Liverpool's Winning Run Ends at the Cottage

Clint Dempsey scored the winner, sinking Liverpool and denying them their twelfth successive unbeaten game, while Spearing is controversially dismissed.

Kenny Dalglish named a much changed side for Liverpool's trip to west London, bringing back Craig Bellamy and giving Andy Carroll a rare place in the starting line-up along with Jay Spearing who replaced the injured Lucas Leiva.

Fulham manager Martin Jol named Bryan Ruiz in place of Damien Duff but kept much the same side that lost to FC Twente in the week.

The game started brightly and quickly adopted a traditional Premier League rhythm; both sides were able to string together passes, Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey pulling the strings for the home side.

The first half was energetic and had the makings of a fast, frenetic affair. Fulham and Mark Schwarzer were given a warning as Jordan Henderson, Liverpool's summer signing from Sunderland, drove to the edge of the box from the left in the 18th minute before deftly placing an early shot in an attempt to curl it around the Australian goalkeeper. However, the ball hit the inside of the post and rebounded out to the Fulham defence who cleared.

Dempsey tested Pepe Reina from range but to no avail before Kevin Friend blew for half time. The scores were level but with signs from both sides that a break in the deadlock would come.

The second half continued in much the same fashion as the first; Jose Enrique had a shot saved and Craig Bellamy showed his intent from the off, but despite the Merseysiders upping the pressure in the second half, they could not break down a solid Fulham backline.

Liverpool's tenacity manifested itself through Charlie Adam and Spearing in the midfield as they attempted to quell the attacking talents of Danny Murphy and Dembele. However, such tenacity was not rewarded as, with a desperate lunge for the ball at the feet of Dembele, Spearing was handed a straight red card.

Although replays showed he appeared to take the ball, his follow-through into Dembele was enough of a persuasion for referee Friend to dismiss the young midfielder.

The momentum was now firmly with Fulham as they pressed on in an attempt to capitalise on Liverpool's lack of numbers.

Dempsey struck the bar for Fulham as he wrong-footed the Liverpool defence and, like Henderson, produced a curling shot that only found the woodwork.

Kenny Dalglish bought on Dirk Kuyt and Stewart Downing for Bellamy and Carroll to bring fresh legs to the fray and his ingenuity appeared to work. Downing's rasping drive only clawed out of the goal onto the post courtesy of a fine fingertip save by Schwarzer.

However, it was the home side who got the goal that won the match. The ball broke to Danny Murphy on the left who cut inside to shoot past a beleaguered Glen Johnson. His shot was only parried by Reina when the Spaniard should have held and Dempsey was the first to react to the spill, crashing the ball into the roof of the net to hand Fulham the victory.

"We dropped points at home against Everton when we were the better team – we were pretty unlucky. Tonight we had the rub of the green," Jol told BBC Sport.

"We weren't the better team but it was even. Mark Schwarzer is one of the best in the business and he saved us."

By James Coggins

http://www.thefreshoutlook.com/?p=8146

WhiteJC

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish attacks 'scandalous' treatment of striker Luis Suarez by Fulham fans
Kenny Dalglish was left furious after Liverpool's defeat against Fulham by the "scandalous" treatment of Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez who became involved in yet another controversy.

Suarez is at the centre of controversy again after being seen making a gesture at supporters following last night's 1-0 reverse at Craven Cottage.

The Uruguay international had been taunted by Fulham fans after referee Kevin Friend did not award him a penalty when he went over after a challenge by Brede Hangeland in the second half.

The Football Association are already looking at allegations he racially abused Patrice Evra, the Manchester United defender, earlier this season and may now look at footage as players walked to the tunnel after the final whistle.

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, had not seen the pictures of his player allegedly making the gesture but described the treatment of Suarez as "scandalous".

He added: "We'll look after Luis as best we can, and I think it's about time he got a bit of protection from some people."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8937457/Liverpool-manager-Kenny-Dalglish-attacks-scandalous-treatment-of-striker-Luis-Suarez-by-Fulham-fans.html

WhiteJC

Clint's off the ball movement for the goal

We've done this thing before, how tap-ins are only tap-ins because someone had the nous to get into the right position (e.g. Gera v Hamburg).

Note the following, then. Dempsey initially shapes towards the far post, then holds his ground in the middle, possibly in expectation of a Murphy cross.  But then, when Murphy shoots, nobody else gambles like Dempsey does.  It is generally assumed that Reina will save the ball, but Dempsey doesn't take that view and chases in, just in case (Gary Lineker always stressed the importance of gambling as a striker).

He's rewarded with what becomes a simple goal, and there's not a defender in sight.

Good, intelligent play.

(also, half an assist for AJ, who looks to have been in Reina's line of sight. Credit also to Ruiz, for springing Riise, Riise for a good progressive run, Senderos for the nice ball back out to Murphy, and Murphy himself for getting it in the mixer)

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/clints-off-the-ball-movement-for-the-goal/?

WhiteJC

Find the Golden Ticket

Christmas at the Cottage is full of surprises and to treat all of our loyal fans, tonight the Fulham Retail Store is running a very special 'Golden Ticket' promotion.

The First Team has kindly donated their match shirts, as worn in yesterday's fantastic victory over Liverpool. Anyone can be a winner at this very special event.

Find a 'Golden Ticket' to win one of the Home Shirts worn in the Fulham v Liverpool game on Monday 5th December.

These special tickets are the only way to win a match worn Home Shirt from the Liverpool game. The tickets have been hidden in bags in store, meaning that anyone could win by purchasing an item from 6pm at tonight's event.

Be sure to check your purchase carefully once you have paid.

Should you find a 'Golden Ticket', the shirt of the named player can be claimed from Santa, who will be situated in his Grotto. Please present the Golden Ticket to him on the night to redeem your shirt.

Why not come on down to the Fulham Retail Store from 6pm on Tuesday 6th December. Help us to celebrate Christmas, meet the players, and try your luck at finding one of our very special 'Golden Tickets'.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/Winamatchwornshirt.aspx?#ixzz1flMDGNXU

WhiteJC

A Great Night

Bryan Ruiz was delighted on Monday evening after his first full game for Fulham coincided with a rousing victory over Liverpool at Craven Cottage.

The Costa Rican star has spoken in recent weeks about his intent to make an impact at Fulham now he is reaching full fitness, and he certainly played his part in what could be a turning point in the Whites' season.

"It felt really good – especially as it was my first 90 minutes for the team and we won," beamed Bryan after the game.

"It was a really tough match, but I'm really pleased that we could win. Everybody had a really good game so it is a good night for us all.

"Liverpool are a great team and we respect them, but we knew that we could do something tonight and that's what we were focused on doing.

"Everyone worked really hard and we knew that we would create chances, because we have good quality up front, so we knew we could score.

"I think we are doing well. We are working hard to improve, but we have very good players in the team and we know we can get results."

After an impressive showing at Arsenal last time out, Ruiz was again very involved in proceedings against the Reds, showing more evidence of his obvious talent with every appearance.

"What I need is minutes in matches - with those comes confidence, but I'm really enjoying playing matches in the Premier League, so I will continue working hard," he detailed. "I know I can do much better than I am now, but I am feeling happy with the job I am doing."

And Ruiz is likely to have plenty of game time in a busy December that sees a further six games before the month is out.

"We have a lot of matches to play over the next month, but with hard work and belief, hopefully we can get the results we know we are capable of."

The first of those games comes on Saturday in Wales as the Whites travel to face a Swansea side who have been beaten just once on their own patch this term.

"It will be a tough match," assessed Ruiz. "If I play I'll look forward to doing my best, but if not I'll support my colleagues. We are a team and, together, we'll do everything we can to get the right result."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/RuizLiverpoolReaction.aspx?#ixzz1flMVEixp

WhiteJC

Lucky Programme Number

The lucky fan who purchased a matchday programme yesterday with the unique number 04355 on the back cover has won two spaces in our Riverside Restaurant at Fulham v Bolton on December 17th courtesy of our official outdoor equipment partner Jack Wolfskin.

The prize includes a fantastic three-course meal, Directors' area seating and a chance to meet Fulham Legend Fred Callaghan.

Check the squad lists page on the back of Monday night's programme where you will find your unique reference number. If your number matches (04355) then simply contact us on [email protected] or pop into Craven Cottage reception with a scan or photo of the back of your programme and we'll be in touch.

Be sure to pick up a matchday programme at every home game to win sensational prizes like this through the Lucky Programme Number.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/LuckyProgrammeNumber-Liverpool.aspx?#ixzz1flNHhkbl

WhiteJC

Powell: Fulham will respect our threat

CHARLTON boss Chris Powell reckons Fulham will show his title-chasing side maximum respect when the Londoners meet in the FA Cup next month.

The Addicks beat Carlisle United 2-0 on Saturday and then were paired with the Premier League outfit in the third round draw.

Powell said: "We'll respect them and I'm sure they'll respect us because of how we're doing. It's a good game all round.

"We've worked hard to get to the third round and this is our reward. It is not too far to travel and will be a good test. It's something that will excite all our fans. We'll have a good turnout and it's up to us to put on a good show against them."

Get today's South London Press for the latest Charlton news.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=45321&headline=Powell%3A

WhiteJC

Fulham star fires warning to Chelsea and Manchester United

BREDE Hangeland has warned Chelsea and Manchester United that Fulham are no pushovers.

The Whites face the two Premier League title hopefuls later this month in the space of six days over the festive period.

Martin Jol's men look like they have turned the corner after a frustrating start to the season following a draw at Arsenal and victory over Liverpool last night.

And giant defender Hangeland sees no reason why they can't take points off the rest of the top sides.

He said: "We have difficult games coming up but I think the way we've played against Liverpool and Arsenal have shown it doesn't matter who we play because we're just as likely to pick up points."

Clint Dempsey's second-half strike proved the difference at Craven Cottage as Fulham saw off the 10 men from Anfield.

However, the visitors will feel hard done by as Jay Spearing's sending-off for a tackle on Moussa Dembele appeared harsh, while replays show Luiz Suarez's effort was wrongly ruled out by the linesman.

"It was about time luck turned in our favour because the last few home games have been hard to take," added Hangeland.

"We should've beaten Everton and Tottenham and if we had another six points everyone would be really happy. There's a fine line between success and failure.

"I watched the sending-off again and it's one of those where it could be a yellow or a red card. It's more about how he followed through. I'm sure they will be disappointed with it but it gave us a big advantage."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/06/fulham-star-fires-warning-to-chelsea-and-manchester-united-82029-29903730/?#ixzz1flO4obo9

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Liverpool 0

Well that put the cat amongst the pigeons did it not?

How many pundits, working for the press, actually believed that Fulham would take three points on offer, although there was always going to be a hint that it could turn into a feisty affair, games normally do when Suarez and Bellamy are involved!

But, returning to the game and the three points that were most welcome and lifted us to thirteenth in the Premier League, it`s interesting to see, this morning, that the same media who didn`t see a Fulham win coming, are falling over themselves to find reasons why our visitors lost.

Top of the list are reasons why Liverpool were deprived of scoring chances, most notably the fact that when Hangeland used a raised arm to fend off Suarez in the area the referee didn`t give them a penalty.

There`s also the moan that when Adam was bursting through and Senderos, rather clumsily, pulled him back Senderos wasn`t given a second yellow card after having already been booked for a previous offence. The grievance obviously being based on the fact Jay Spearing, deservedly, received a straight red for a lunge on Moussa Dembele.

And then we come down to the fact that the woodwork deprived Kenny Dallglish`s side, not once but twice. The first when Henderson rattled the post and the second when Downing struck the post moments before we scored.

But, despite the media bias, they do actually mention that we scored, and they do actually acknowledge that Reina was at fault when he spilled Murphy`s shot and Dempsey tapped in the rebound.

But, and I apologize if this match review is a little on the different side, we come to the fact that Suarez had a goal disallowed after lifting the ball over Schwarzer and then volleying home, only for the offside flag to be raised, marginal they say - but marginal (in our books) is still offside.

Thankfully, they do toss aside their bias to point out another crime from Suarez, the raised finger salute in response from a little banter from the home support, has this man no class!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=264812#ixzz1flOQDzok