more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (06/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 06, 2011, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss keeps fingers crossed over recovering Sidwell

STEVE SIDWELL is in line for a return to the Fulham team for Saturday's visit to Swansea City – assuming he can shake off the after-effects of a hernia operation.

Boss Martin Jol had hoped to have the midfielder available again for the visit of Liverpool on Monday night, but the recovery has been slower than expected.

The need is more pressing since skipper Danny Murphy is likely to be absent after hobbling off with a badly swollen ankle towards the end of the win against the Merseysiders.

"I was a bit disappointed because he [Sidwell] needed a minor operation and they told me maybe he would play the next match after 10 days, but he still feels it – it's still painful after the operation," Jol said. "But hopefully he will be fit for the next game.

"With Danny, it looks a bad one and it could be a couple of weeks, but hopefully it will be just one match he misses."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/12/06/fulham-boss-keeps-fingers-crossed-over-recovering-sidwell-64767-29901819/?

WhiteJC

Jol still seeking a more clinical Fulham

MARTIN Jol concedes his team still need to be more ruthless in front of goal if they are to gain reward for their enterprising play on home soil.

Clint Dempsey's late winner against Liverpool on Monday night brought Fulham only their second win at the Cottage in the league - but that is still only six goals in six games either side of the freakish 6-0 win against QPR.

"We've had some good games – especially against Spurs second half when they had two goals out of three attempts and we had 28 attempts and it needed an own goal.

"I can also remember games against Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers where we played well but didn't score enough goals.

"If you don't score goals at the right moments, the opposition will punish you, but we can't make excuses. We have to be better and score more goals.

"We've had a lot of clean sheets and good results away from home, but at home we've dropped points and to do that against Liverpool would have been awful, because we needed the points.

Jol added: "Today we had an early chance that didn't go in and you feel it's going to be the same, but it wasn't, which is good.

Defensively, we were well organised and I think we've got the players to score goals. It was a much needed win."

The game turned in Fulham's favour with the 72nd minute sending off of Liverpool's Jay Spearing and Jol says the red card was justified.

"I saw the tackle from three angles and it was a bad tackle. It could have broken his ankle," he said, referring to Moussa Dembele, who was involved in the key incident.

"But I think the sending off helped us. It gave us a little bit more space."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/12/06/jol-still-seeking-a-more-clinical-fulham-64767-29901849/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol: Jay Spearing could have broken Moussa Dembele's ankle with red card tackle
The Dutchman felt his player was fortunate not to escape serious injury after the robust challenge from Liverpool's midfielder resulted in a red card

Martin Jol claims that Jay Spearing's challenge on Moussa Dembele could have broken the Fulham star's ankle.
The Liverpool midfielder was send off for the second-half tackle, which won the ball but caught the Belgian's leg strongly when he followed through.

Fulham boss Jol also defended his players for the close attention they gave to controversial Liverpool dangerman Luis Suarez throughout the 90 minutes during his side's 1-0 win at Craven Cottage.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, he said: "I will be honest. I saw the tackle from three angles and it could have broken his ankle.

"If you drop off Suarez too far then he is unbelievable. He will go in front or through you. He is almost impossible to defend.

"They played a 4-3-3 again and in hindsight it was a good decision to play with Moussa Dembele.

"It helps us as a midfield to create chances. If he starts scoring goals then I think Dembele will be a major player in the game."

Jol was delighted that his team had rediscovered the winning knack at Craven Cottage, which has been such a fortress during the last few years. It was only Fulham's second league victory on home soil this season.

"It was much-needed and a good win," he said. "If you win 1-0 and keep a clean sheet, it is always pleasing.

"We have had a lot of clean sheets and results away from home, but we have also had good games at home, especially against Spurs in the second half. Against Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers we also played well.

"The sending off helped us but we were well organised and I think we have the players to score goals in this league."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/06/2789059/fulham-boss-martin-jol-jay-spearing-could-have-broken-moussa?

WhiteJC

Reina's mistake proves costly for Liverpool

KEVIN McCARRA at Craven Cottage

SOCCER ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE: Fulham 1 Liverpool 0: A TIGHT contest could be settled only by a grand mistake. Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina mishandled Danny Murphy's attempt in the 85th minute and Clint Dempsey knocked home the loose ball.

The midfielder had hit the bar five minutes earlier as Fulham thrived after the red card shown to the visitors' midfielder Jay Spearing for an uncontrolled challenge on Moussa Dembele after 72 minutes.

Fulham began the evening a mere two points above the relegation places, even if this was their game in hand. There had been a single Premier League victory at Craven Cottage and while that 6-0 rout of Queens Park Rangers might have been cherished by supporters, Martin Jol's squad need the sort of consistency on the domestic front shown in the Europa League, where Fulham are on the verge of progressing from the group phase.

There was endeavour here from hosts and visitors alike in a match pleasingly inclined towards adventure, even if goals hardly flowed despite the early attacks. With six minutes gone, Bryan Ruiz had fed Mousa Dembele with the striker's effort blocked by the Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina.

Dalglish's side arrived at Fulham with hopes of a fourth consecutive away victory in the league but openings were scarce for them before the interval although Jordan Henderson cut in from the left to bend a shot that came off the inside of the post before rolling along the line to safety in the 28th minute.

There has been sorrow over the long-term injury to Lucas Leiva, but little occurred in the opening 45 minutes to highlight the value of the absent defensive midfielder.

Fulham displayed purpose throughout and Clint Dempsey was industrious in the opening 45 minutes in which he kept Reina occupied if not overwhelmed.

Some attempts were dealt with and others ran a little wide, but the truly exceptional reaction demanded came from Dembele's drive that was pushed to the left by the leaping goalkeeper after 17 minutes. However Liverpool had the greater intent to attack, or perhaps just the superior means to do so. Striker Andy Carroll had close support from Craig Bellamy and Luis Suarez, yet there were no overtones of the last encounter between these sides here, when Liverpool won 5-2 in May.

Liverpool's intent was immediately apparent following the interval and so, too, was a trace of antagonism, with Craig Bellamy and Clint Dempsey booked after a confrontation.

The mood at Craven Cottage was heightened, too, when the home fans took exception to what seemed a dive by Suarez.

It still had the tone of a pseudo-controversy that kept onlookers occupied as they waited for some crucial deed. The home crowd were relieved when Philippe Senderos fouled Charlie Adam a fraction outside the area in the 59th minute. There was just a yellow card rather than a penalty.

Liverpool should have taken the lead in the 66th minute, but Suarez was wrongly deemed offside from Jose Enrique's pass as he was neatly taking the ball away from Schwarzer to finish.

It had been a very tight call for the assistant referee on an occasion when there was little to separate the sides.

- Guardian Service

FULHAM: Schwarzer, Kelly, Hangeland, Senderos, Riise, Dempsey, Murphy (Gecov 90), Etuhu, Ruiz, Dembele, Zamora (Johnson 71). Subs not used: Etheridge, Kasami, Hughes, Frei, Briggs. Booked: Dembele, Dempsey, Senderos.

LIVERPOOL : Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Jose Enrique, Henderson, Spearing, Adam, Bellamy (Downing 77), Suarez, Carroll (Kuyt 77). Subs not used: Doni, Maxi, Coates, Carragher, Kelly. Booked: Bellamy.

Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1206/1224308621285.html?

WhiteJC

Liverpool's Luis Suárez makes 'offensive gesture' at Fulham fans
• Striker may face FA charge over incident after 1-0 defeat
• Dalglish criticises Fulham fans for calling Suárez a 'cheat'

Luis Suarez of Liverpool leaves the field at Craven Cottage at the end of his team's 1-0 defeat by Fulham.
Photograph: Javier Garcia/Javier Garcia / BPI

The Liverpool striker Luis Suárez could face a misconduct charge after appearing to make an offensive gesture towards Fulham fans at the end of his team's 1-0 defeat here on Monday night.

Suárez, who has been charged by the Football Association over allegations that he racially abused Manchester United's Patrice Evra in October, which he denies, was pictured apparently responding to supporters as he walked towards the tunnel after the match.

The Uruguay international was subjected to chants of "cheat" after the referee, Kevin Friend, turned down a penalty appeal when he went over after a challenge by Brede Hangeland in the second half. The FA will wait for the official's match report before deciding whether to act.

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, admitted he could be forced to talk to Suárez about his conduct following the latest controversy but angrily hit back over the fans' abuse. "I haven't seen the picture and I'm not taking anybody's word for it," said Dalglish. "If you show me the picture and I'm convinced that what you're saying is true, then I've got a decision to make. But until you have proved it is true to me, I won't comment."

In response to Fulham supporters branding Suárez a "cheat", Dalglish said: "That's scandalous. I would like to see you write that in the paper because you would be in a bit of trouble as well. You write what you want to write. At the end of the day, we will look after Luis the best we can and I think it is about time he got a wee bit of protection from some people."

Ironically, Fulham's Chris Baird was charged by the FA with using an abusive gesture towards a match official in the corresponding fixture last season after he showed the referee Lee Mason a V-sign. The defender was given a two-match ban. Wayne Rooney was famously banned for two games last season for swearing into a television camera after celebrating a goal at West Ham United.

Liverpool may appeal against Jay Spearing's red card after the midfielder was sent off for a two-footed challenge on Moussa Dembélé after 72 minutes. The match was goalless at the time, with Clint Dempsey's winner coming in the 85th minute.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/06/liverpool-luis-suarez-gesture?

WhiteJC

FULHAM 1 - LIVERPOOL 0: DEMPSEY'S IN LIKE CLINT

CLINT DEMPSEY grabbed a dramatic 84th-minute winner for Fulham against 10-man Liverpool last night.

Former Kop hero Danny Murphy hit a tame-looking shot that keeper Pepe Reina could only spill at the feet of Dempsey.

And the American striker pounced to hit the ball high into the net from close range to earn a welcome three points for Martin Jol's side.

Liverpool had been reduced to 10 men in the 72nd minute when Jay Spearing got a straight red from ref Kevin Friend.

The Liverpool midfielder seemed to get the ball but his studs were high and he caught Moussa Dembele with his follow-through.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/224166/Fulham-1-Liverpool-0-Dempsey-s-in-like-Clint/?

WhiteJC

Lay off Suarez, says Liverpool's Dalglish

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish sprang to Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez's defence after it was claimed the fiery South American had made a gesture to Fulham fans.

The incident involving Suarez came after a frustrating night for both the player and his team who lost 1-0, thanks to a late Clint Dempsey goal, after they had been reduced to 10 men when Jay Spearing was sent off in the second-half.

Dalglish said that Suarez enjoyed his and the club's support and that others should follow their example rather than criticise him constantly.

Suarez, who was charged by the Football Association (FA) in November with racially abusing Patrice Evra, had a goal disallowed and also felt he should have had a penalty.

"We'll look after Luis as best we can, and I think it's about time he got a bit of protection from some people," said Dalglish, who admitted he hadn't seen the incident involving Suarez and the Fulham fans.

"His integrity is impeccable. He can look in the mirror and go to bed at night and sleep soundly. If other people can do that then fine. All we ask is to be fair, is to be honest."

Dalglish, whose side had won their previous six away matches, said that they would consider appealing against referee Kevin Friend's straight red card to Spearing 18 minutes from time.

The Liverpool midfielder received the card for a tackle on Mousa Dembele where he won the ball but caught his opponent when he followed through.

"Jay will be upset, obviously. But we will look at it and see if it's worth while appealing for," Dalglish said.

"You need to ask the referee what his interpretation is. What the level of acceptance is.

"Jay never had another thought in his mind but to win the ball, and he did win it.

"As long as they are consistent, it's not a problem. But I don't think we were going to get anything tonight, were we?"

Fulham manager Martin Jol felt the red card was justified.

"Maybe when I was playing in England it was a great tackle. But his ankle was there," said the Dutchman.

"You have to be honest about it, I saw it from three angles and it was a bad one. He could have broken his ankle. I think it was a sending off."

There was also a case for Fulham's Swiss defender Philippe Senderos to receive a second yellow card, with his first coming after bringing down Charlie Adam on the edge of the penalty area, which Liverpool also felt was a penalty.

"The goal that Luis scored, Charlie could have had a penalty. We played well enough to have won the game," said Dalglish.

"We've just got to brush ourselves down and get on with it and get ready for QPR on Saturday. I'm sure we've had the rub of the green in previous games. But not tonight. And we certainly deserved something."

Dempsey, whose goal was his fourth of the season, admitted the sending off changed the game.

"We had more space and time on the ball after the sending off," said the American.

"We opened them up a bit and we got a goal which is great because it's been frustrating for us recently."

His goal came five minutes from full-time after Jose Reina spilled a shot from Danny Murphy, who later limped off with an ankle injury.

"It was much-needed, a good win," said Jol.

"If you win 1-0 and keep a clean sheet it's always pleasing. The sending off us helped us with giving us more space and Clint then scored the goal.

"Defensively we were well organised and I think we have players to score goals."

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=afp-fbl_eng_pr_fulham_liverpool_20111206

WhiteJC

Liverpool FC manager Kenny Dalglish considers appealing Jay Spearing's sending off at Fulham

KENNY DALGLISH has revealed Liverpool FC will consider appealing Jay Spearing's red card as their unbeaten run was ended in controversial circumstances.

Clint Dempsey's goal five minutes from time consigned 10-man Liverpool FC to a 1-0 defeat at Fulham last night.

It was Liverpool's first defeat in 12 games and leaves them five points adrift of fourth place and a Champions League qualification berth.

The flashpoint of the evening came in the 72nd minute when referee Kevin Friend dismissed Spearing following a strong challenge on Fulham midfielder Mousa Dembele, despite the Liverpool man clearly winning the ball.

And Dalglish has called for officials to state what is deemed an acceptable tackle as he pondered an appeal against the sending-off.

"You need to ask them what their interpretation is," said the Liverpool manager. "It's frustrating as no-one ever tells us what the level of acceptance is.

"Jay had no other thought in his mind other than to win the ball. And he did win it."

Spearing, who was starting in place of the injured Lucas, is now facing a three-match suspension.

And when asked if the midfielder deserved to be red carded, Dalglish added: "I am not a referee. Sometimes they are given, sometimes they aren't. As long as they are consistent then it isn't a problem.

"Jay will be upset, obviously. But we'll have a look and see if it's worthwhile appealing.

"He has won the ball, he has probably upset the referee for the follow-through. He has won the ball first and it's not his fault someone else is standing there. Sometimes it results in a red and sometimes you get away with them.

"You can go through every referee decision and find a problem the problem everyone has at the moment is the level of consistency with the interpretation. "If the referees could explain the level of acceptance and what their tolerance level is, then it's helpful to everyone. We know where we stand."

Liverpool had further grievances with the officials, with Charlie Adam denied a penalty following a foul that could easily have seen Fulham centre-back Philippe Senderos dismissed, and Luis Suarez seeing a goal chalked off for a borderline offside decision.

"I don't think we were going to get anything tonight were we?" said Dalglish.

"The offside goal Luis scored could have been either way, Charlie could have had a penalty when he was pulled down.

"It wasn't as well as we have been playing but it was enough to win the game. We never got it, but we just have to brush ourselves down and get on with it.

"Maybe we didn't get any rub of the green tonight, but we have done in the past. We just have to get on with it."

Suarez was a target of relentless abuse from Fulham supporters, and was received little sympathy from referee Friend up against the robust home defence.

And Dalglish added: "It's scandalous. We'll look after Luis as best we can. It's about time he got a wee bit of protection from some people.

"There's not much we can do about referees. But the integrity of Luis is impeccable. He can look at himself in the mirror and can go to bed and sleep soundly at night. All we ask is for people to be fair, to be honest."

Dalglish was less forthcoming when quizzed about allegations that Suarez made a rude gesture towards a section of Fulham fans.

"I've not seen the picture and I am not taking anybody's word for it." he said.

"If you show me the picture and I am convinced what you are saying is true, then I've got a decision to make.

"But until you have proved it is true to me, I won't comment."

Fulham manager Martin Jol admitted Spearing's dismissal was a turning point in the game but believes it was deserved.

"The sending-off helped us and gave us a little more space and that helped us get the goal," said Jol. "I saw the tackle from three angles and I think it was a bad tackle. It could have broken his ankle.

"Defensively we were well organised and I've always thought we had players who can score goals.

"I saw last season's game yesterday and they were all over us playing three up front. Liverpool played the same again but we did well."

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/12/06/liverpool-fc-manager-kenny-dalglish-considers-appealing-jay-spearing-s-sending-off-at-fulham-92534-29901851/2/#ixzz1fkPQf6hX

WhiteJC

Sending-off spurred victory, says Clint Dempsey

Taking his chance: Clint Dempsey hailed an important win for Fulham

Fulham goalscorer Clint Dempsey felt the sending-off of Liverpool's Jay Spearing was crucial as the home side celebrated a 1-0 win at Craven Cottage.

Dempsey's opportunist goal five minutes from time settled the game in Fulham's favour, though they only came into the ascendancy after Spearing was dismissed for a challenge on Mousa Dembele 13 minutes previously.

The midfielder clearly won the ball but followed through recklessly with both feet and caught the Cottagers forward just above the ankle.

The net result of the decision was summed up by Dempsey, who told Sky Sports 1: "We had more space, more time on ball and we were able to open them up.

"We've not been able to score enough goals but we got one tonight and it's an important win."

The goal came when the United States international followed in after visiting keeper Jose Reina uncharacteristically spilled Danny Murphy's low shot.

And Dempsey said: "You've always got to take a chance. Danny did a good job getting the shot off and you've got to be in the right place at the right time. Sometimes you get lucky and it falls to you.

"Any points right now are big because the table's so tight. We're just happy to get the win."

Manager Martin Jol said: "Clint is a good player. He scored 13 goals in the league last year and tonight it was a much-needed goal and a much-needed win.

"We dropped points at home against Everton when we were the better team - we were pretty unlucky. Tonight we had the rub of the green. We weren't the better team but it was even. Mark Schwarzer is one of the best in the business and he saved us."

On the disputed red card, the Dutchman added on Sky Sports 1: "I think it was a bad tackle. His ankle was there and I think it was a sending-off."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24018192-sending-off-spurred-victory-says-clint-dempsey.do?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Liverpool FC 0 – Ian Doyle's verdict

THERE was drama in the Press room shortly before kick-off when a consignment of cottage pie destined for the gathered hacks was clumsily dropped on to the floor.

Kenny Dalglish, though, would probably wish it had instead landed on referee Kevin Friend's head.

Liverpool's attempts to secure a record-equalling seventh successive away win were ultimately undone thanks in part to the official on a chilly night at Craven Cottage.

Chief grievance was the 72nd-minute red card shown to Jay Spearing, handed the unenviable task of filling the sizeable boots of the absent Lucas Leiva.

It wasn't even a foul; rather a strong, fair challenge on Mousa Dembele that, while catching the Fulham man on the follow-through, clearly won the ball.

Liverpool, of course, had benefited from a similarly outrageously pathetic red card two months ago when winning the Merseyside derby.

And this time they were on the receiving end with Clint Dempsey netting a soft goal five minutes from time after Pepe Reina had fumbled a Danny Murphy shot.

Liverpool – and in particular Reina, who made a string of fine saves – deserved better.

Referee Friend had earlier infuriated Liverpool by deciding a foul on Charlie Adam by Philippe Senderos was outside the box, when replays suggest the visitors were right to claim the offence was inside.

So ends Liverpool's 11-match unbeaten run. And with their main rivals for Champions League qualification all winning, Dalglish's men can ill-afford dropped points such as these – although, as ever, the woodwork came to the rescue of the opposition.

Despite scoring five goals in his last three visits to south west London, including a memorable hat-trick here in May, Maxi Rodriguez was again unfortunate to see himself begin the game on the bench.

Of the players rotated into the team for last Tuesday's Carling Cup win at Chelsea, three retained their place with Craig Bellamy, Andy Carroll and Spearing all starting.

Spearing's inclusion as replacement for the stricken Lucas was reward for the diminutive midfielder's fine performances during the tail-end of last season, and his efforts when called upon this campaign

And he was required to do plenty of covering during the first half as Fulham, despite a difficult Europa League game in Holland last Thursday, showed no signs of a physical hangover and were quickest out of the blocks.

Having been three goals up inside 17 minutes on their last visit to Craven Cottage in May, Liverpool were this time grateful to Reina not to be a couple of goals behind.

After only six minutes, the Spanish goalkeeper saved with his feet to deny Mousa Dembele after the Fulham midfielder had been sent clear by Bryan Ruiz's slide-rule pass.

And then Reina denied the same player again, this time springing low to his left to turn behind Dembele's arrowed 25-yard drive.

Reina was similarly agile to first clasp an improvised Clint Dempsey volley after Liverpool's defence failed to properly clear, and then beat out a swerving shot from close range by the United States international.

While at times struggling for cohesion, the visitors were not without their chances in the first half. Moments after Charlie Adam saw a fierce shot blocked, Andy Carroll solicited a solid parry from Mark Schwarzer after good build-up play by Luis Suarez.

Either side of the Fulham keeper and Liverpool would have been ahead. But that is the way for Carroll right now, the striker later completely miscuing his attempted shot following another incisive Suarez raid down the inside-left channel.

But the nearest anyone came to scoring was in the 28th minute. Jordan Henderson, operating his preferred central midfield role and a prominent performer throughout, seized on possession near the left-hand corner of the area after Fulham only partially cleared, dashed between Dempsey and Danny Murphy and curled a right-footed shot against the inside of Schwarzer's post.

Shortly after the interval, Dempsey was fortunate not to be dismissed after a flare-up with Bellamy in which he shoved his forehead into the face of his opponent, both players ultimately cautioned.

Liverpool, no doubt after a few choice words from Dalglish, were far brighter after the break and, after forcing a succession of corners, one fell invitingly for Jose Enrique.

But his shot was parried by Schwarzer before being hacked clear by John Arne Riise, making his first appearance against the Anfield outfit since his departure.

Liverpool, and Suarez in particular, had received little joy from referee Friend, a fact underlined in the 59th minute when Adam led a counter-attack by running 40 yards with the ball before being up-ended by Philippe Senderos.

The visitors had decent claims that the foul had occurred just inside the box, but the official thought otherwise and Bellamy's free-kick was deflected wide.

The Welshman should then have done better when dragging his shot across the face of goal after being found in the area by Johnson and a borderline offside call favoured Fulham when Suarez latched on to Enrique's lofted pass and finished 'a la Messi' beyond Schwarzer.

Spearing's red card changed the complexion of the game, allowing Fulham to regain a foothold with Dempsey striking the crossbar and Reina once again denying Dembele with another fine save.

Schwarzer produced a great save to turn substitute Stewart Downing's venomous shot on to the post, and Liverpool's luck was out five minutes from time when the previously impeccable Reina spilled Murphy's shot and Dempsey was on hand to tuck home the rebound to seal the points.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2011/12/06/fulham-1-liverpool-fc-0-ian-doyle-s-verdict-55578-29901147/?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger closes in on comeback

SIMON Davies is set to make his first appearance for more than four months in this afternoon's development game with West Brom.

The Fulham winger has been sidelined with a knee injury since the Europa League win against NSI Runavik back in June.

Davies had minor surgery in a bid to clear up the problem, but is back in full training at Motspur Park.

The Welshman has been pencilled in for a run-out in the game with a Baggies second-string, and boss Martin Jol is hopeful he could return to the first-team fold in a couple of weeks.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/06/fulham-winger-closes-in-on-comeback-82029-29901845/?#ixzz1fkTpjpis

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey pounces on late Pepe Reina gaffe as Fulham sink Liverpool
Clint Dempsey's late winner brought Liverpool's superb recent away run to an abrupt halt as Jay Spearing's dubious sending-off proved the turning point at Craven Cottage.

American dream: Match-winner Clint Dempsey, challenging Martin Skrtel, proved the difference
between the sides at Craven Cottage (Picture: PA)

For the majority of an entertaining game, the Reds had looked the more likely to grab the points and in the process equal a club record seven  consecutive wins on their travels.

But after Spearing saw red in the 72nd minute for a lunge on Moussa Dembele, when the 23-year-old had played the ball, the home side began to pile on the pressure, which Dempsey made tell five minutes from time when he tapped in after Jose Reina could not hold a low Danny Murphy shot.

Reina did well to keep out Dembele early on while Andy Carroll wasted the best chance of the first half when he volleyed straight at Mark Schwarzer before Jordan Henderson saw a sweet curling effort come off a post.

Liverpool continued to have the  upper hand after the restart, Luis  Suarez and Charlie Adam both having penalty appeals turned down while Suarez had a goal controversially ruled out for a marginal offside.   

But when Spearing – starting his first Reds game of the season in place of the injured Lucas – was dismissed the game opened up for Fulham.   

Stewart Downing saw an effort tipped onto the post but Dempsey hit the crossbar at the other end before Reina gifted the American his late winner.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/883963-clint-dempsey-pounces-on-late-pepe-reina-gaffe-as-fulham-sink-liverpool#ixzz1fkUYvFvR

WhiteJC

Luis Suarez risks FA inquiry for giving Fulham fans the finger

'I didn't see it' says supportive boss Dalglish after 1-0 defeat leaves Liverpool in seventh spot
BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 09:02 ON Tue 6 Dec 2011

LIVERPOOL's Luis Suarez is likely to find himself in more trouble with the Football Association after he gave Fulham fans the finger following their side's 1-0 win against the Reds. A late goal from Clint Dempsey sealed the match for the Cottagers but the main talking point afterwards was Suarez's gesture towards a section of the home supporters.

The Uruguayan striker, nicknamed 'The Gunslinger' in his native land, has already been charged by the FA following accusations that he racially abused Manchester United defender Patrice Evra last month; this latest incident – caught on camera – will do little to endear the 24-year-old to English football's governing body.

Suarez believed he should have had a second half penalty when he was challenged by Brede Hangeland in the Fulham box. But referee Kevin Friend saw nothing wrong with the tackle, and nor did the Fulham fans who jeered Suarez as he pleaded for a penalty. The Liverpool star, who'd earlier had a goal disallowed, didn't react initially to the taunts of 'cheat' but as he left the pitch at the end of the match he was seen raising a middle finger.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish later defended his player, accusing Fulham fans of "scandalous" behaviour towards Suarez. He added: "I haven't seen the picture and I'm not taking anybody's word for it. If you show me the picture and I'm convinced that what you're saying is true, then I've got a decision to make. But until you have proved it is true to me, I won't comment."

Shortly after Suarez's claims for a penalty had been turned down the Fulham fans had more reasons to cheer as Friend showed Liverpool midfielder Jay Spearing a straight red for a two-footed challenge on Mousa Dembele. That left the visitors having to survive the last 18 minutes with ten men.

Five minutes from the end, Dempsey turned the ball into the Liverpool net after Pepe Reina failed to deal with Danny Murphy's shot.

The result cost Liverpool the chance to move level on points with Arsenal and Newcastle and instead leaves the Reds in seventh spot on 23 points. "Tonight wasn't as well as we've been playing but it was enough to have won the game," reflected Dalglish. "We never got the luck but we have just got to brush ourselves off and get on with it."

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/premier-league/43320/luis-suarez-risks-fa-inquiry-giving-fulham-fans-finger#ixzz1fkUsVaj1

WhiteJC

Liverpool top four hopes suffer as Fulham ease pressure with win
More ruthlessness required if Liverpool are to trouble top four after Fulham defeat

Having wasted a plethora of glorious chances at Craven Cottage last night, Liverpool will have left London wondering how they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Whilst unlucky with regards to the controversial sending off of midfielder Jay Spearing, the lack of ruthlessness in front of goal demonstrated by the Merseyside club has seen their odds of achieving a top four spot extend slightly to 2/1.

The Reds will need to achieve a greater level of consistency if they are to challenge for Champions League qualification, having drawn almost as many games as they have won so far this season.

Last night represented only their second defeat of the campaign though, and Kenny Dalglish's men still have a game in hand on the majority of their main contenders for a top four position.

They meet QPR at Anfield in their next outing, yet Liverpool have unusually performed better on their travels so far this season.

Steven Gerrard and co will be keen to rectify that as soon as possible, and 1/3 is the price attributed to a home win.

Other promoted teams Swansea and Norwich managed draws on Merseyside however, and punters may be tempted by the 7/2 odds on the draw, and the monster 10/1 on an away victory.

Fulham meanwhile, will be hoping that this somewhat unexpected victory will be the turning point of their season.

Experiencing the type of luck that has been hard to come by all season for the Cottagers, Clint Dempsey's strike last night was an early Christmas present from Pepe Reina, and saw the home side move away from the relegation zone.

This proof that Martin Jol's side can achieve positive results against the Premier League's better sides has seen the odds on Fulham to be relegated lengthen to 16/1, and this is understandable considering the form of the clubs that currently remain below them.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/liverpool-top-four-hopes-suffer-as-fulham-ease-pressure-on-themselves_084203.html

WhiteJC

Liverpool Striker Confident of Top Four Finish

Fulham's Clint Dempsey celebrates scoring a goal against Liverpool during their English Premier League match at Craven Cottage in London.
REUTERS

Dirk Kuyt revealed Liverpool's deep frustration at the 1-0 loss to Fulham but reiterated his belief that the Reds can still qualify for the Champions League.

Clint Dempsey's late winner secured a hard-fought victory for the home side after Jay Spearing's dismissal reduced the Reds to 10-men in the 71st minute.

The result leaves Liverpool five points off fourth-place but Kuyt remains confident they will be in contention at the end of the season.

"It's a huge disappointment but we need to keep going, look at ourselves and try to improve," the Dutchman told Liverpool's official Web site.

"We definitely want to challenge for the top four and if we want to do that we need to win these type of games.

"I thought we were unlucky because we had the chances to score."

Liverpool were punished for some lacklustre finishing when Dempsey pounced on Pepe Reina's mistake to fire home from two yards.

Earlier, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing had hit the woodwork and Luis Suarez had a goal ruled out for offside as Liverpool failed to seize the initiative in an entertaining encounter.

"We did okay in the first half but the way we came out in the second half was much better," Kuyt added.

"It was frustrating not to have any luck. When you look at the decision for Luis's goal that was ruled out - it's difficult for us to see as players in a split second and know whether it was offside or not."

The game turned on Spearing's dismissal for a robust challenge on Moussa Dembele. The Liverpool midfielder was unlucky to be handed a straight red after he played the ball before following through on Dembele.

"I didn't see Jay's challenge and I don't know if it was a red card. Obviously it didn't help us in our efforts to win the game. It's a huge disappointment not to get the three points," said Kuyt.

"Then you look at the foul on Charlie. Was it inside the area or not? We just didn't have the luck on our side and it was a frustrating night for us."

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/262009/20111206/liverpool-striker-confident-finish.htm?

WhiteJC

Dalglish disputes Spearing red as Dempsey makes Reina pay

LIVERPOOL manager Kenny Dalglish insisted the controversial dismissal of Jay Spearing was the decisive factor in his side's damaging defeat at Craven Cottage last night, as Clint Dempsey's late goal helped Fulham move a healthy five points clear of the relegation zone.

A contest which Liverpool had largely controlled swayed in Fulham's favour when Spearing was sent off by referee Kevin Friend with 18 minutes remaining for a dangerous tackle on Moussa Dembele.

And less than a minute after Mark Schwarzer had diverted Stewart Downing's 25-yard strike onto the post, the home side broke up the other end stole all three points when Pepe Reina fumbled Danny Murphy's shot into Dempsey's path and the American made no mistake from close range.

"Jay won the ball," said Dalglish. "He probably upset the referee with his follow-through but it's not his fault there's somebody standing there.

"You see them sometimes get a red card, other times they get away with it. The problem everybody has is the level of interpretation – that's not consistent.

"I think we would have taken something if we'd been left with 11 men."

While Dalglish was left to count the cost of a defeat which leaves his side five points adrift of the Champions League places, Fulham manager Martin Jol was able to celebrate the biggest win of his tenure to date.

After an encouraging draw against Arsenal the previous week, victory was another step in the right direction, but Jol's joy was tempered by an ankle injury which could rule skipper Murphy out for a fortnight at least.

"I think it's a bad one," he said after seeing the midfielder hobble off in the closing stages.

"His ankle is swollen up and I don't think he will play in the next match, or couple of matches. First we will celebrate the win and then we will have an assessment tomorrow, but I think it's a bad one."

http://www.cityam.com/sport/dalglish-disputes-spearing-red-dempsey-makes-reina-pay?

WhiteJC

On Soccer: Clint Dempsey named U.S. Player of the Year after excelling in position switch

As Juergen Klinsmann surveyed the group of players that will make up the core of the U.S. national team heading toward the 2014 World Cup, he felt the player who could best respond to a position switch was Clint Dempsey.
A veteran of two World Cups, Dempsey has moved from central midfield to either wing, depending on the formation and the opponent, under both Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley.
Under Klinsmann, who took over July 29, Dempsey has played a withdrawn striker role, a position he took to right away and said he enjoyed.

Whether it was his versatility or his willingness to be a team player, or simply for the fact that he had by far the best statistics in 2011, Dempsey was selected the as the 2011 U.S. national team Player of the Year by a vote of U.S. journalists.
It is the second time Dempsey has won the award, which has been presented by Futbol de Primera since 1991. He also won in 2006.

Dempsey, who received 375 points, beat out goalkeeper Tim Howard (252), with forward Landon Donovan (191) placing third.
The vote on this ballot was Dempsey first, followed by defender Carlos Bocanegra and then Howard.

It was a difficult year for the national team, as it struggled early and then got off to a difficult start in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. After beating Canada, 2-0, in the opening game, the Americans lost to Panama, 2-1, their first ever loss in Gold Cup group play, and barely got by Guadeloupe, 1-0.
However, solid victories over Jamaica and Panama pushed the U.S. into the final, where they blew a 2-0 lead and lost to Mexico, 4-2, in Bradley's final game.

Dempsey, who had five goals and two assists for the year, had a team-high three goals in the Gold Cup, scoring against Canada, Jamaica in the quarterfinals and in the 1-0 semifinal victory over Panama.
Dempsey relished his new role under Klinsmann, although combined with the influx of new players being brought in and the high quality of opponents, it did not result in much offense.

Following a 1-1 tie with Mexico in August in Klinsmann's first game, the United States played five straight 1-0 games, losing four (Costa Rica, Belgium, Ecuador and France). The only victory, Klinsmann's first, came Oct. 8 against Honduras, with Dempsey scoring the goal on a nice fake and a shot into the upper left corner.
Dempsey scored again in the final game of the year, a 3-2 victory at Slovenia Nov. 15, a game the Americans jumped out to a 3-0 lead in a somewhat rare display of offense.

Dempsey, who has 24 goals in 82 games for the U.S., spent the majority of time under Klinsmann in different positions. Against Belgium, he was slotted into a three-man center midfield in a 4-3-3. He moved up front against Honduras in a 4-1-3-2 and stayed in midfield as Klinsmann went with one forward against France.
Klinsmann was looking for more offense against Slovenia and used a traditional 4-4-2, with Dempsey returning to the midfield behind Jozy Altidore and Edson Buddle up front.

It's likely Klinsmann will return Dempsey to a withdrawn role next year as the team prepares for World Cup qualifying in June. One of the problems in Klinsmann's seven games in charge has been the inability to get Dempsey and Landon Donovan on the field together.

Dempsey missed Klinsmann's first two games and when he returned Donovan was injured. Donovan also skipped a couple of friendlies late in the year to remain with the Los Angeles Galaxy for their MLS playoff run.
Dempsey is also having a great year for Fulham. He scored in Monday's 1-0 victory over Liverpool to become the career scoring leader among American players in the English Premier League with 37 goals. That broke a tie with Brian McBride, who played with Everton and Fulham.

Of the 24 players eligible for the award, only 10 were serious candidates.
Howard, who has never won the award, had another excellent year, starting 15 games and finishing with a 6-7-2 record. He allowed 18 goals and had five shutouts to fashion a 1.20 goals against average.
Donovan, a seven-time U.S. Player of the Year recipient, did not make his usual impact internationally in 2011. He played in 10 games and had one goal and two assists.

In a year where only Dempsey stood out, Bocanegra was a deserving player and should have finished among the top three. He started 14 of 15 games and was often the best defender on the team. He also earned his 100th cap in the match against Slovenia.
And it's not like a defender hasn't won before. It happened four times in a five-year span, but all were in the years the U.S. national team was struggling to score goals and playing defense was its strong point.

Defenders Thomas Dooley (1993), Marcelo Balboa (1994), Alexi Lalas (1995) and Eddie Pope (1997) were past winners, but beginning in 1998 it's been pretty much all midfielders and goalkeepers.

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2011/12/on_soccer_clint_dempsey_named.html?

WhiteJC

Murphy's injury blow

Fulham's much-needed win over Liverpool on Monday night came at a cost after skipper Danny Murphy picked up an ankle injury.
The former Reds midfielder limped off in stoppage time with the problem and was replaced by Marcel Gecov in stoppage time.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol fears he could now be set for an extended spell on the sidelines.

"I think it is a bad one," said Jol.

"His ankle has swollen up and I don't think he will play in the next match.

"It could be a couple of weeks or it could be a few weeks, but hopefully just one match."

Murphy has been an ever-present in the Fulham side this season, scoring one goal and contributing five assists.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/murphys-injury-blow-1349998.html?#.Tt4boJgcIds

WhiteJC

FA investigates Liverpool's Luis Suárez for gesture after Fulham defeat
• Suárez could face misconduct charge after alleged gesture
• Kenny Dalglish refuses to comment until shown evidence

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2011/dec/06/kenny-dalglish-luis-suarez-middle-finger

The Football Association says it is looking at whether Luis Suárez should face a misconduct charge after the Liverpool forward was photographed allegedly making an obscene gesture at the close of the 1-0 defeat to Fulham at Craven Cottage on Monday evening.

Suárez was pictured apparently responding to supporters as he walked towards the tunnel after the game.

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, admitted he may be forced to speak to Suárez regarding his conduct. "I haven't seen the picture and I'm not taking anybody's word for it," the Scot said after the game. "If you show me the picture and I'm convinced that what you're saying is true, then I've got a decision to make. But until you have proved it is true to me, I won't comment."

The Uruguayan could also face an FA charge over allegations that he racially abused Manchester United's Patrice Evra in October, which the striker denies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/06/luis-suarez-liverpool-fulham-gesture?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

WhiteJC

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish attacks 'scandalous' treatment of striker Luis Suarez by Fulham fans
Kenny Dalglish was left furious after Liverpool's defeat against Fulham by the "scandalous" treatment of Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez who became involved in yet another controversy.

Suarez is at the centre of controversy again after being seen making a gesture at supporters following last night's 1-0 reverse at Craven Cottage.

The Uruguay international had been taunted by Fulham fans after referee Kevin Friend did not award him a penalty when he went over after a challenge by Brede Hangeland in the second half.

The Football Association are already looking at allegations he racially abused Patrice Evra, the Manchester United defender, earlier this season and may now look at footage as players walked to the tunnel after the final whistle.

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, had not seen the pictures of his player allegedly making the gesture but described the treatment of Suarez as "scandalous".

He added: "We'll look after Luis as best we can, and I think it's about time he got a bit of protection from some people."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8937457/Liverpool-manager-Kenny-Dalglish-attacks-scandalous-treatment-of-striker-Luis-Suarez-by-Fulham-fans.html?