more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (07/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 07, 2011, 08:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Michel Vorm claims Swansea City's clash with Fulham is 'must-win' game
MICHEL VORM has labelled Swansea City's clash with Fulham as 'must-win' after insisting their away-day blues have ramped up the pressure on them at home.

Swans No.1 Vorm says the Liberty Stadium side simply have to turn it on back on their own patch after slipping up on the road once more at Blackburn.

And the Dutch star has urged his team-mates for greater fight to make it happen when it comes to the contest with the Cottagers.

The Swans' loss at bottom-three Blackburn at the weekend kept the club's seven-month wait for a win on the road going, as well as dragging them down the table towards the drop zone.

With Fulham recording a surprise win over Liverpool on Monday night to jump ahead of Brendan Rodgers' men, it's only added to the significance of Saturday's meeting between the two.

Now goalkeeper Vorm has refused to dodge the fact that the Swans simply have to be back to the kind of form that has made them such a force at fortress Liberty, especially against sides likely to be a rival for safety at the end of the season.

Vorm said: "We have to win. We know we can beat anyone at home – but the pressure is on us after Blackburn.

"At this level there is no easy game but we know we have to win most of our home games, especially if you are not winning away.

"The goals we conceded up there were too easy and we had individual faults.

"We played against a team who I don't think were that good but we conceded four goals. That is not possible.

"So we have work to do, we will train hard and move on because Fulham is a must-win game.

"It's as simple as that."

While Swansea have not yet reached the halfway point of the season, Vorm knows the clash with 16th-placed Fulham precedes two tough away tests at Newcastle and Everton.

And with Martin Jol's side likely to be among the rather large pack looking to secure safety, rather than aim for Europe, all at the Liberty will be hoping for a win to ease the burden before the back-to-back away games.

But the Holland international reckons more will be needed against the teams in similar positions to themselves if Swansea are to keep themselves away from danger.

"In matches like against Blackburn, Norwich and Wolves we have to bring more," the 28-year-old said.

"These kind of matches are more important than playing against Manchester United or Liverpool.

"Blackburn are a team below us and we knew they would fight for every ball.

"Any player can give more against Liverpool.

"It's easy to do that.

"We must learn from it and make sure we win our games at home – but we have to learn really quickly because the competition is going so fast. Blackburn are coming up fast."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/swanseacityfc/swansea-city-fc/2011/12/07/michel-vorm-claims-swansea-city-s-clash-with-fulham-is-must-win-game-91466-29907544/?#ixzz1fqg5laMX

WhiteJC

Jol reveals midfielder return hopes

Martin Jol is hoping that Steve Sidwell will be available for Fulham's trip to Swansea on Saturday following a recent hernia operation.
The Cottagers' boss has been frustrated at the speed of the influential midfielder's return to fitness after he was forced to miss Monday's 1-0 win against Liverpool at Craven Cottage.

However, with Jol confirming that skipper Danny Murphy is likely to miss the game at the Liberty Stadium due to an ankle injury he picked up against the Reds, the Dutch tactician is desperately hoping to get Sidwell back for the game in South Wales this weekend.

"I was a bit disappointed because he [Sidwell] needed a minor operation and they told me maybe he would play the next match after 10 days, but he still feels it - it's still painful after the operation," Jol said in the Chronicle. "But hopefully he will be fit for the next game.

"With Danny, it looks a bad one and it could be a couple of weeks, but hopefully it will be just one match he misses."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/jol-reveals-midfielder-return-hopes-1350556.html?#.Tt9S4pgcIds

WhiteJC

FA to decide on Suarez charge after gesture at Fulham fans

A few weeks after he arrived at Liverpool last January, Luis Suarez expressed his heartfelt wish that he would forge a reputation as something other than the cut-throat of Johannesburg and the cannibal of Ajax. He no longer wished to be the player remembered only for denying Ghana a place in the World Cup semi-finals or biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal.

"I would love to change that impression of me," he said. Charged with issuing racist abuse at Patrice Evra when Manchester United visited Anfield in October and under investigation by the FA for directing an obscene gesture towards Fulham fans as he trudged from the field after Monday's 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage, it is fair to say that hope has not turned out as planned.

Suarez, currently preparing a defence believed to be based on linguistic nuance to the allegation of racism, is expected to be told today whether he is to face a second charge in two weeks over Monday's incident. The FA's Governance and Regulation Committee were last night examining images which appear to show Suarez reacting to taunts from home fans by raising the middle finger of his left hand.

offence

It is not certain, as yet, whether the Uruguayan will face a charge and, if so, what the offence may be deemed to have been. Punishments for similar offences have varied wildly -- Birmingham's Stephen Carr was banned for one game for an obscene gesture directed at Aston Villa supporters last year, while Joey Barton was given just a £2,000 fine in 2006 for dropping his shorts to Everton fans.

Suarez retains the full support of his club on both issues and is not likely to face any internal disciplinary measures, with Kenny Dalglish suggesting that his striker should be afforded some "protection" from fans' abuse.

That has as much to do with his reputation as a feigner of receiving fouls as the incidents with Ghana, Evra or Bakkal. Indeed, it was the sustained taunts of "cheat" from Fulham's supporters which appeared to rile him into response on Monday. The frustration apparently felt by opposing fans at his theatrics, though, has not yet spread to his fellow professionals.

"It does not matter if it is diving or not, but if we feel that a foul is not a free-kick then we will tell him," said John-Arne Riise, the former Liverpool defender, now with Fulham. "He gets frustrated (with physical challenges), but that shows his character.

"We have to get in hard on him because if we try to be nice to him he will kill the game off, so you have to be tough. But while he gets frustrated it goes away quickly, because he is a professional." (© Independent News Service)

- Rory Smith

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/fa-to-decide-on-suarez-charge-after-gesture-at-fulham-fans-2956098.html?

WhiteJC

Brede's Christmas Wish

Brede, you must have been very happy with the Team's defence on Monday night after dealing with everything Liverpool threw at you?

When we keep a clean sheet we are always happy but it was an even game [against Liverpool] and there were chances for both teams.

I think we've had some bad luck in the last couple of games and on Monday night I wouldn't say that we were really lucky but it was probably about time that luck did turn in our favour.

The last two home games prior to Monday's game were hard to take. We were extremely happy to take all three points against Liverpool.

What do you think about the sending off for Liverpool?

I've looked at it and I think it's one of those where it could be a yellow card, it could be a red card - it's more about how we follow through after actually hitting the ball. I'm sure that they were disappointed with it, and for us of course it was a big advantage.

How did you find it playing against the Carroll and Suarez? They are obviously two very different players.

It was a very big challenge. If you play against one or the other then you know what you're coming up against. But it's worse when they are both on the pitch, it changes every ten seconds. It was a big challenge but on the whole I think we did quite well and with a brilliant goalkeeper behind us we managed to keep a clean sheet.

With a difficult run of games coming up, how important was Monday night's result?

If you look at the league table everyone can see how important it was for us, and you're right we have difficult games coming up but I feel that the way we are playing, which we showed against Arsenal last week, and Liverpool now, it doesn't really matter who we play. I think we are as likely to pick up points against the big teams as well as the so-called little teams. It's really down to our performance.

Do you feel as though you are in a false position in the table?

I think we get what we deserve. I know that we should have beaten Everton and Tottenham at home, had we had another six points then it would have been a great season so far, there is fine line between success and failure.

Is there any anxiety in the squad about your position or are you fairly confident?

I think we all know what we can do; we think that if we can keep putting in a good performance then we will get our reward in the end. Obviously everyone can read the league table and it isn't nice to be where we have been so far, so hopefully we can move up.

Looking ahead this month, you have a big Europa League game and a lot of games coming thick and fast.

Yes, big games and very important games. This is what we do, this is how we roll. We just need to prepare well and recover well in between. We need to try and pick up points which we have done today. We are happy with the start of December.

It's often viewed as a crucial month, December; does it look that way in the dressing room as well?

Yes, the more games in a month then the more important that month will be. December must be one of the busiest ones. We have played a lot of games so far and I think we are moving in the right direction. Things are starting to gel quite well, five points in the last three games against tough opposition is good.

Last season you had a bad first half of the season and the second half was much better. Hopefully that happens again, is top 10 a target?

At the moment we aren't looking at top 10, we are talking about trying to get away from where we are in the league. Hopefully we can start turning a lot of draws into wins. We will start talking about a realistic finishing position when we start playing more games.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/HangelandLiverpoolReaction.aspx?#ixzz1fqzhAMt5

WhiteJC

Milito agent quashes Inter exit talk

Tottenham and Fulham's hopes of signing Inter Milan and Argentina striker Diego Milito have been quashed by the player's agent.

A host of European clubs, including PSG and Marseille, have been monitoring the 32-year-old's situation after it appeared he would be moved on following Claudio Ranieri's arrival as manager.

The striker looked to be heading out of the San Siro as Mauro Zarate and Giampaolo Pazzini looked to be the Tinkerman's favoured forward pairing.

But Milito has proven his worth in recent weeks and his agent claims he will remain in Italy for the remainder of the season at least.

Fernando Hidalgo told Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport. "Diego will not leave Inter because he is playing well with them and also has two years left on his contract.

"It does not enter into his plans to leave now but if things go wrong he could consider other alternatives next summer."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1355/03/milito-agent-quashes-inter-exit-talk?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Liverpool 0: In-Depth Tactical Analysis

Fulham had failed to score in six in their last eight Premier League games against Liverpool, and the visitors have the league's best record in terms of shots conceded (44). Unfortunately, neither record prevailed in the end as Fulham gained a 1-0 victory after Spearing had been received a straight red card.

Starting Strategies

Fulham started the game as expected save for two minor changes. Kelly was preferred to Baird at right back, while Dembele started in attack just behind Zamora. He tended to roam around the England centre forward, and so the formation looked more like a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 rather than a traditional 4-4-2. Liverpool changed their usual format by going for a 4-1-2-3 over their favoured 4-4-2.

Fulham have turned into something of a passing team under Jol's leadership, using Zamora as someone who can recycle the ball rather than simply an outlet for balls from deep. As the game started, both sides played patient football looking to hold onto possession and using every outfield player as a potential pass receiver.

The difference in styles came up front. Fulham had an attacking trio behind Zamora (Dempsey, Dembele and Ruiz) who all cut inside to occupy central positions. This flooded the middle of the pitch with mobile players with fluid movement, the ultimate aim being to overload Liverpool's defenders. In the sixth minute this worked well as Ruiz came in from the right, fed Dembele with a good through ball between the Liverpool centre backs, but Reina was on hand to save the shot.

On the other side, Liverpool's approach was to pass the ball up through the team before feeding their attacking threesome in good positions. Carroll came much deeper than usual, acting as a supporting player for the team rather than an out-and-out number nine. He came much further back to participate in the build-up play, almost as a fourth central midfielder at times. Bellamy played wide right, rarely coming inside. The idea was probably to give Riise a direct opponent and stop the ex-Liverpool left back from coming forward. On the left, Suarez was given his usual license to roam all over the place, often cutting in and dribbling from his flank. In the eighth minute Adam put the ball behind Kelly for Suarez to pounce. He dribbled inside and then laid the ball off for the onrushing Carroll. Unfortunately, the pass was hit too hard and Carroll could only just manage to get there with his right foot. The tame shot was easily saved.

Fulham's narrow midfield allowed Liverpool's full backs to push forward. Both had different methods of attacking. Given that Bellamy generally played wider, Johnson attempted to cut inside when he came dribbling forward. Enrique provided much more natural width by pushing down the line into the space vacated by Suarez. Dembele, Dempsey and Ruiz do not have a reputation for getting stuck into the defensive side of the game, and this gave Liverpool's central midfielders enough time on the ball to pass between each other and construct meaningful attacks. This forced Fulham's defensive players to drop deeper to try and shut down the space, rather than pressing heavily. In turn, that freed Agger and Skrtel to make the odd foray forward, giving another body in the centre as a sort of deep-lying playmaker or temporary libero.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/12/fulham-1-liverpool-0-in-depth-tactical-analysis/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheTomkinsTimes+%28The+Tomkins+Times%29

WhiteJC

A Special Night

John, that was a great result against Liverpool at Craven Cottage on Monday night.

I think it was a great football match to be fair, with a lot of chances for Liverpool and a lot of chances for us. I think the two goalkeepers had a great game. I was really happy with the three points.

How was it for you playing against your former side?

I was happy to get a win and it was special for me because it was the first time that I have played against Liverpool.

It was special and an emotional high when the final whistle went. I'm very happy and I really enjoyed it because it was an important three points for us.

It was heading for a draw before Clint scored. Do you think that would have been a fair result?

We've played some very good football lately and it could have gone either way on Monday. I think a draw would have been fair, but I'm very glad Clint scored and it was a very important goal for us.

With a busy Christmas period coming up that's a great way to start the month isn't it?

There are a lot of games coming up now so we need to get the points as soon as possible. We have some massive teams coming up and it was a big game for us on Monday.

Taking three points against Liverpool, who have been in good form lately, makes us sure that we can beat anyone. But now we look ahead to a new game against Swansea on Saturday which is going to be very hard as well. 

Do you think Fulham are in a false position in the Barclays Premier League?

The table never lies, that's the main thing. We just have to get more points on board and start climbing up the table.

What did you make of Liverpool? They have a lot of attacking options, and they caused you some problems, but you kept them out well.

We have a strong defensive structure in our team. To play up against Suarez, Carroll and Bellamy, who are always very quick and lively, it means it isn't easy for defenders. But I think we coped well and it was nice to keep a clean sheet against those types of strikers.

What was it like playing against Suarez?

He is very lively and it is hard to know where you have him. He moves from the right to the middle to the left and keeps moving back and forth. He's always moving his body. I think our central defenders had him under control on Monday night though so full credit to them.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/RiiseLiverpoolReaction.aspx?#ixzz1fr5X33Ki

WhiteJC

Stopper on trial with Celtic

CELTIC have taken Fulham's Algerian international central defender Rafik Halliche on trial.

The 25-year-old was given the chance to seal a deal in the bounce game against Hibs at Lennoxtown today.

Halliche is under contract at Craven Cottage for another 18 months, but Fulham boss Martin Jol is willing to offload him.

And, if the imposing, 6ft 2in defender impresses Neil Lennon, he could be brought to Parkhead as soon as the transfer window re-opens in three weeks.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/stopper-on-trial-with-celtic-1.1138617?

WhiteJC

Hangeland issues Jol plea
Cottagers defender calls for regular back four to be put in place

Brede Hangeland: Has worked alongside a number of different defensive partners this season

Brede Hangeland has urged Fulham manager Martin Jol to stop his defensive shuffling and settle on a regular back four.

The Cottagers have already used eight different defenders this season, making it difficult for understanding to be established.

Hangeland has been an ever-present at the heart of their defence, but he has seen a number of faces come and go alongside him.

The Norwegian feels the time for experimentation is over, with stability vital to any club striving for consistency.

Settled

He would like to see those who secured a shut-out in Monday's 1-0 victory over Liverpool given a regular run, with that performance proving that they can work well as a unit.

"So far this season there's been a lot of changes in the back four," Hangeland said in the Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle.

"I think I've played every league game, but the other three positions have been changing quite a lot.

"Ideally you would like a back four that's really settled and know each other well. Hopefully we can get that as soon as possible."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7357485/?

WhiteJC

Now you're under control

On Sunday night Toby and I took in Sutton United v Notts County in the FA Cup second round proper (a trip to Doncaster was on offer to the winners).

No giant killing here. County eventually sauntered to a routine victory, but there were alarms along the way, notably when Sutton were awarded then missed a penalty on the verge of half-time (shooooot! shouted someone behind the goal). That would have made the score 1-1 and perhaps changed the game's direction.  As it was, County added another in the second half and the game petered out into freezing nothingness.

The game did give me another theory on football.  It's not a new theory – Bill James once made a similar point when discussing baseball – but its application works here, too.

It is simply this: the higher level you are watching, the greater the extent to which the players control the ball, rather than the ball controlling the players.

At the pinnacle we have Barcelona, a team that absolutely masters the football. How often in a Barcelona game is the ball not tame? It is almost always at someone's feet, under control.

Several notches lower we have teams like Fulham. Fulham are a decent possession side, but the ball is not generally mastered. Sometimes it takes time to control the ball; sometimes it feels like a hot potato and must be hurriedly passed backwards; sometimes it is merely launched 'into the channels', a move with 'hope for the best' written all over it. While the ball is making its way to 'the channels' it is a free agent, awaiting someone to take care of it. Sadly for the ball it is unlikely to find that home anytime soon, as either someone will head it away, bringing about some more randomness in the midfield as both teams strive for possession (and thus control), or it is despatched into the crowd, which admittedly does allow the throw-in's recipient to take control of the situation again. But if he launches the ball into the penalty area then the ball is wild again.  And so it goes.

Then lower down the leagues chaos is the norm. Weaker opponents can mean more time and greater control of the ball, but at lower levels we start to see legs poking out in vain attempts to make contact with (not even tame) an unexpected bounce, curious first touches leading to those big lunges so hated by referees these days, etc, etc. The ball is notionally under control, but it seems like the whole game is based around some futile chase that is rarely resolved.

What does it all mean?

Stop taking long goal kicks. This generally gives the ball back to the opposition.
Stop using 'the channels', even when AJ is playing and 'running them' (Aaron Hughes, I'm looking at you).
Ban the Dickson Etuhu forward flip, in which a ball is 'helped on' in the general direction of Bobby Zamora. (to be fair, Etuhu doesn't do this much anymore).
Talk to Bryan Ruiz about retention. Sure, creativity can lead to loose possession, but the ball must be retained where at all possible. Bryan isn't yet treating it as well as he might.
When attacking, try to ensure he has an 'out' ball. Until the sending off on Monday we always just seemed one pass short, moves breaking down at the last moment when our attacks found natural endings on the edge of Liverpool's area. We either lost the ball or Clint Dempsey took a pot shot. We really do need a means of maintaining possession in these situations so as to benefit from the chaos caused by Dembele's jaunts.

We have decent players who can master the football. Hopefully they can use it more effectively in the future. But mainly these are things I've invented to make the theory sound better.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/now-youre-under-control/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star to be rushed back from surgery for Swansea clash

Steve Sidwell, formerly of Chelsea Reading and Aston Villa is set to return for the Whites

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell is set to be rushed back from injury to play against Swansea after Danny Murphy was ruled out with an ankle injury.

Murphy was helped off the field in the closing stages of his side's 1-0 win over Liverpool on Monday.

"Danny's ankle has swollen up. It looks a bad one and hopefully it's just one match he misses – but it could be a couple of weeks," Fulham boss Martin Jol said.

"Hopefully he (Sidwell) can be fit for the next game. He needed a minor operation and they told me maybe he would play the next match after 10 days, but he still feels it – it's still painful after the operation. Hopefully he will be OK."

Jol will be hoping Murphy will be able to play a part in his side's must-win Europa League Group K game against Odense on December 14.

Meanwhile, Liverpool will not be appealing Jay Spearing's red card from Monday night's clash.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_to_be_rushed_back_from_surgery_for_swansea_clash_1_1147604?