watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Spending 2006-2011

Started by White Noise, December 09, 2011, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cebu

That's contains a few surprises! You've got to congratulate Arsenal and Newcastle for being such tight wads.

TonyGilroy

And makes you wonder how and why of all those clubs it was Portsmouth and Leeds that imploded.

ImperialWhite

9th eh? So we should be expecting a top ten finish most of the time, I suppose.

(although I suspect we'd fall a few spots if annual wage spend was factored in).

richie17

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 09, 2011, 11:05:59 AM

And makes you wonder how and why of all those clubs it was Portsmouth and Leeds that imploded.

wages and 'sundries' I imagine.

White Noise

Quote from: richie17 on December 09, 2011, 11:23:51 AM

wages and 'sundries' I imagine.

Those pesky goldfish! :doh:

os5889

SO we've been spending £15 million a year?

Thats
2 Hernandez's
Half a Berbatov, Balotelli or Veron
7 Hangelands or Duffs
3 Dembeles
15 Bugatti Veyrons
The entire Swansea City Squad...twice
A Steve Marlet
3 Massimo Taibis
30 million Whispa golds
5 million pints of London Pride
30,000 season tickets

Jack Fulham

Quote from: os5889 on December 09, 2011, 12:01:03 PM
SO we've been spending £15 million a year?

Thats
2 Hernandez's
Half a Berbatov, Balotelli or Veron
7 Hangelands or Duffs
3 Dembeles
15 Bugatti Veyrons
The entire Swansea City Squad...twice
A Steve Marlet
3 Massimo Taibis
30 million Whispa golds
5 million pints of London Pride
30,000 season tickets

Net spend of 9 Million per year though.

jarv

Very surprised it is that high per year. (9 mill) Considering Fulham sold VDS, Steed, Boa, Saha, Smalling and probably a few more....all for decent amounts of money, huge profits on Saha and Smalling.
purchases Over 10 mill? Can only think of marlet, aj and ruiz. strange. :49:

Andy_M

Quote from: jarv on December 09, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
Very surprised it is that high per year. (9 mill) Considering Fulham sold VDS, Steed, Boa, Saha, Smalling and probably a few more....all for decent amounts of money, huge profits on Saha and Smalling.

True jarv, but in my opinion one of the seasons that scews it is the season where we started with Sanchez as manager, he spent a crazy amount of money on a lot of not very good players: Kamara, Steve Davis, Healey etc. he spent a lot of money that summer on players that ultimately were just not good enough.
@got_maile

os5889

Dont forget to add on an approximated wage

23 man squad X £25,000/week guesstimate of average wage X 52 weeks= £29,900,000

Mitch

Remember how many of those sales that puts them in the black were forced sales by administration.

Rupert

Quote from: jarv on December 09, 2011, 01:36:20 PM

I think Edwin went for a very small fee, which we only got because he did the honourable thing and signed a short term contract instead of walking on a Bosman. He cost something like £8 million, if memory serves. We certainly made some money on the others, though.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Burt

Citeh's numbers are just mind-boggling.

They could prop up the Euro and deliver world peace with those resources.

RidgeRider

this also sort makes the point that both Everton and Arsenal are well run clubs who succeed while making an effort not to spend and manage their finances like a trailer park "big spin" lottery winner.

Lighthouse

Not sure clubs the size of Everton and Arsenal can be called a success without actually winning something or coming close. Survival is fine for Fulham but Everton and Arsenal by spending nothing are not doing much other than staying still. Sunderland, Stoke and Villa are the big losers here. Especially Villa and Sunderland who should be huge clubs with their fan base.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 10, 2011, 01:21:39 AM
Not sure clubs the size of Everton and Arsenal can be called a success without actually winning something or coming close. Survival is fine for Fulham but Everton and Arsenal by spending nothing are not doing much other than staying still. Sunderland, Stoke and Villa are the big losers here. Especially Villa and Sunderland who should be huge clubs with their fan base.

I disagree. Both clubs have done exceptional and we would consider ourselves a very successful club if we replicated their success. Trophies are out of the question for Everton, except for maybe FA or Carling once every decade or so but Arsenal are never far away from winning the league with a very impressive balance of spending and selling. I can't see how that is not successful when you consider what the teams above them have spent to win. Man City's spending is repulsive frankly.

Lighthouse

Yes Fulham would be happy to achieve the Arsenal success of one League Cup win and a few top five finishes of late. But not with around 59,000 boosting the finance every other week and the bigger fanbase. I know of no Arsenal fan who is happy being an ex giant winning little.

Everton share the city of Liverpool with one other Prem club. They have a poor owner and are unable to spend money. That doesn't mean the club is well run or successful. Same goes for Sunderland and Newcastle who have a huge  fan base.

Take City and Chelsea out of the equation because the money they spend will never give the success the money spent deserves. But being a big club with a big following and spending no money is not success. It would be to us but we are not Arsenal. We are Fulham hoping for a ground that holds 30,000 one day. Not the same animal. Why turn up if you don't even try and compete?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope