more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (09/12/11)...i

Started by WhiteJC, December 09, 2011, 07:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL'S BIG BLOW

FULHAM boss Martin Jol claims the ­failure of the two Manchester giants in the Champions League has blown his chances of winning the Europa League.

Jol's men have played a mammoth 13 games in seven countries so far in their European campaign.

However, now that the likes of United and City have been included among the Euro also-rans, he fears their six-month slog could be all for nothing.

Jol, whose side face a must-win clash at home to Odense in their final Group K game next Wednesday, said: "We would be better off without the big teams coming in, as far as winning it goes. They will be very disappointed, ­especially United.

"They probably wanted to win the ­Champions League, because they are ­capable of doing that.

"But the principle for us is we want to get as far as possible.

"I can understand the ­disappointment, if you are top favourite to win the ­Champions League and you go into the Europa League."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/224710/Martin-Jol-s-big-blow/?

WhiteJC

Brendan Rodgers plays down Fulham showdown as 'must-win' Swansea City game

BRENDAN RODGERS admits he must restore the belief back into his Swansea City side – but is refusing to label Fulham a must-win game.

In the wake of last week's demoralising 4-2 defeat at bottom-of-the-league Blackburn Rovers, Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm said this Saturday's clash with Fulham becomes a "must-win" game for Rodgers' side.

But the Swansea manager is relaxed about his side's current standing, 15th in the Premier League, and the prospects of being dragged into a relegation battle. Four points separate Swansea and 18th-placed Blackburn in the final relegation place and after four games without a win a result on Saturday would help restore a healthy cushion over the bottom sides.

"I've heard people say Fulham is a must-win game, I don't think it is," said Rodgers, whose side could climb as high as ninth on Saturday if results go their way.

"Obviously it's a game we want to win and our home games are very important for us.

"Last weekend was disappointing, but we had 68% possession, scored two goals away from home and on another day that would have been enough but our concentration let us down. The mistakes get punished at this level."

Rodgers has had to turn psychologist this week as he looks to pick his players up following the Blackburn defeat, their fifth on the road this season.

With difficult away trips to Newcastle and Everton before Christmas, he knows a win at home would set them up well for two tough fixtures in the space of four days.

Rodgers added: "I am very positive in my approach, I will tell players what they have done wrong but I am not going to get away from the good work we have done and the way we have competed in this league.

"We've conceded only two goals at home, which is incredible so it's not to do with tactics it's about concentration.

"My job is to tell them the areas they need to put right but also to reinforce to the players how good they are.

"The job as a manager covers many facets. You have to develop your team on the field, it's about man-management and leadership off it and when player need that support you have to give it.

"Footballers are as vulnerable as anyone in society. People think because they earn lots of money and drive nice cars they are not, but they are exposed to millions. The one thing you have to be able to do is identify the human needs in people to help improve their confidence.

"If we had won last weekend we would have been up to eighth, I'm not sure how much higher we can go with what we are up against. It's a fantastic league we are in.

"I am not going to get sucked into a feeling of negativity because the league is so tight."

Swansea's failure to deal with set-pieces at Blackburn cost them two goals and they can expect another aerial threat from Martin Jol's side tomorrow.

Having conceded just two goals at the Liberty Stadium, the best defensive home record in the Premier League, Rodgers is backing his side to put the Ewood Park horror show behind them.

On-loan Tottenham Hotspur youngster Steven Caulker is back to full fitness and could come into the back four, but captain Garry Monk has performed well in recent weeks and should keep his place.

Wales U21 international Jazz Richards will continue at right back while Angel Rangel recovers from ankle ligament damage that will keep him out for another three weeks.

Rodgers said: "Before last weekend we had only conceded two goals from set-pieces, which is very good.

"In a lot of games our defending has been very good. We did not concede from set-pieces against Man City, Chelsea or Stoke, teams that are big throughout, so it's not that they can't do it. Last week we missed out on the little details and we got punished, but you expect that at this level.

"Steven (Caulker) was arguably our best player at the start of the season and no doubt he is a player of great stature and it's great to have him available."

Rodgers could also make changes at the top end of the field with Wayne Routledge pushing for a start on the wing after impressing in his substitute appearances over the last couple of weeks.

The Swansea boss was critical of the way Nathan Dyer conceded possession in the build up to Blackburn's opening goal and he could make way for Routledge.

Joe Allen's suspension could pave the way for Luke Moore, another who impressed with his brief cameo against Blackburn, as the highest of the central midfield three.

But Rodgers rebuffed a suggestion it would be difficult to leave out striker Leroy Lita after his excellent goal against Rovers, with record signing Danny Graham back to fitness.

"Sentiment does not come into it," said Rodgers, when asked if it would be harsh to leave Lita out. "I'm not concerned about harshness.

"As a striker you are judged on goals and he has done very well but my only thoughts will be on who can win us the game.

"Midfield is a position Luke (Moore) can play. He gives us plenty of thrust and it's something we can look at.

"I felt he was probably our best player in pre-season but then with the way we started it was very difficult for him.

"Wayne (Routledge) is another who is the same. He has wowed the rest of the players with his skills and he has shown what he is capable of in the last few games."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/swanseacityfc/swansea-city-fc/2011/12/09/rodgers-plays-down-fulham-showdown-as-a-must-win-swansea-game-91466-29921847/?#ixzz1g1ZnIMAq

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy could make shock start for Fulham against Swansea City at Liberty Stadium

MARTIN JOL has hinted Danny Murphy could be in line for a shock start against Swansea City tomorrow – just days after ruling him out.

And the Fulham boss suggested ex-Wales star Simon Davies could also be involved in the Liberty Stadium clash after six months on the sidelines.

Haverfordwest-born Davies has not figured since a knee injury in June forced him to go under the knife. But the 32-year-old came through a reserve outing on Wednesday unscathed, leading Dutchman Jol to suggest he could yet make his comeback in South Wales.

It will be a surprise should the 58-cap midfielder be thrown back into action so soon, as would the appearance of playmaker Murphy in South Wales after Jol had ruled him out of any chance of making the Premier League game just 48 hours ago.

Murphy damaged his ankle in the win over Liverpool earlier this week, with former Spurs boss Jol claiming he could be without his talisman for a matter of weeks.

But Jol now insists Murphy will have a fitness test later today with a place against Swansea a real possibility.

He said: "Danny is probably involved because he is a quick healer. He will have a test.

"His ankle was swollen up but it is better now so I hope he can be involved. It's touch and go."

Jol had hoped Steve Sidwell could take his place in the Cottagers' midfield, but with the former Arsenal, Reading, Chelsea and Villa man still struggling to recover from a hernia operation it seems Jol is ready to take a risk over both Murphy and Davies, adding: "Simon played 70 minutes for the first time with the reserves and looked well.

"He gave himself seven out of 10 fitness-wise so I will, if he is fine on Friday, involve him in the squad."

Damien Duff and Chris Baird will definitely miss the trip to take on Brendan Rodgers' men, a key clash with just one point and two places separating the two sides.

But Jol will hope his frontman will give his side the edge in tomorrow's meeting, including striker Mousa Dembele who he claims can reach the same heights as Spanish legend Raul.

With the transfer window reopening in less than a month, speculation has begun over reinforcements Jol may bring to the club in January.

Marseille's Andre-Pierre Gignac has been heavily linked with a move to Fulham, while Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega and former Real Madrid man Raul have also been mentioned.

The latter would be a particularly audacious signing and Jol has quashed talk of a move for Spain's all-time record scorer, insisting Dembele can be just as good.

"It is not our philosophy to make signings like Raul," he said. "He is a star but I have another star in that position, who will probably be the same as Raul in the future. Mousa Dembele is on the way to becoming a fantastic player.

"Bryan Ruiz can also play there and we have a young player that can play in that position that you probably don't know in Kerim Frei. I have Pajtim Kasami, who is 19 years old, so I would probably be crazy to get another player in that position."

Jol also ruled out a move for Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, who he knows well having originally brought him to England while in charge of Tottenham.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/swanseacityfc/swansea-city-fc/2011/12/09/murphy-could-make-shock-start-at-liberty-91466-29921845/?#ixzz1g1ap5Vwd

WhiteJC

Strikers' paths to cross at last at the Liberty

SCOTT Sinclair has never met Bobby Zamora, yet the pair have a lot in common.

Both players began their careers with Bristol Rovers when the Pirates were struggling in the bottom division.

And both went on to secure moves to Premier League sides in West London, albeit one faster than the other.

While Zamora has eventually settled at Fulham, Sinclair failed to establish himself down the road with Chelsea.

Despite his recent success, the Cottagers striker knows what it is like to struggle to make a breakthrough.

While with Rovers, Zamora slipped out of the Football League and was sent out on loan to Sinclair's home-city club, Bath, before finding his feet at Brighton.

He scored six goals in as many games during a temporary switch to Albion before making the move permanent.

He went on to net 70 times in a further 119 appearances for the Seagulls, earning England Under-21 honours, as Sinclair has since.

A brief six-month stint at Spurs followed before four- and-a-half years at West Ham.

Then came a £4.8 million transfer to Craven Cottage in the summer of 2008, where the forward has been ever since.

Tomorrow he and Sinclair will line up at opposite ends of the Liberty as their paths finally cross.

"I know it's just down the road from Chelsea, but I don't know any of the Fulham players," said Swansea's winger.

"When I first went to Chelsea we had the same sort of training ground, but then we totally divided and they went to train somewhere else.

"They're a great team, they've been in the Premier League for a number of years and it's going to be difficult for us to get a result.

"(Clint) Dempsey is a very good player, he gets forward and scores goals.

"They have a number of good players, but we need to get the three points."

Sinclair was an 11-year- old coming through the Rovers youth system when Zamora left the Memorial Ground. The 22-year-old departed himself in 2005 after becoming the youngest ever player to represent the club's first team.

Zamora and Sinclair were then just a couple of miles apart in the capital.

But Sinclair did not enjoy such a happy time there.

Five frustrating years at the Blues, during which he was loaned out to no fewer than six clubs, ended when he signed for Swansea City in the summer of 2010.

Like Zamora, Sinclair has since forced his way into the Premier League by scoring goals.

His tally of 27 sent Swansea soaring into the top flight last season, while the three penalties he has netted against West Brom, Stoke and Bolton this term have all led to wins.

Sinclair's composure from the spot follows on from his first campaign in South Wales. The wideman showed nerves of steel to twice net from 12 yards against Reading at Wembley.

But he also scored from open play in that match against the Royals, something he has been unable to manage since May.

"It doesn't bother me because I know when I do score in open play I'll go on a run," said Sinclair.

"The fact is I haven't been as clinical as I was last year.

"I'm getting in the right positions to score, but I haven't taken the chances.

"Every single game I want to score a goal and help the team, but like the gaffer says, if I'm getting in the right areas, it will happen sooner or later."

Sinclair's most high-profile miss so far came against Manchester United at the Liberty last month.

With Swansea trailing 1-0, he was about to pull the trigger at the back post with only goalkeeper David De Gea to beat.

But the ball got stuck in between his legs and the chance was lost.

Another opportunity was squandered at Blackburn last week as Sinclair blazed over when his side were 3-2 behind.

"Sooner or later it will happen," said Brendan Rodgers's first major Swansea signing.

"There is expectation on me after I scored 27 goals last year.

"And I have high expectations of myself so going into each game I'm looking to score.

"I don't set targets, I just go out there and try to do my best for the team."

Rodgers revealed he has moved to ease the pressure on Sinclair this week by reassuring him the goalscoring burden does not rest solely on his shoulders.

"I spoke to Scott," said the Northern Irishman.

"I told him he doesn't need to worry and he should sleep well at night.

"The goals will come and it's not just his responsibility.

"When you score 27 goals you put pressure on yourself, but I'm not putting any pressure on him."

Sinclair's pace made him a threat at Ewood Park last Saturday, while he has been given special attention by defenders this season.

That has freed up room and arguably led to goals for others.

"It's not all about scoring goals, I have to provide assists and contribute in other ways," added Sinclair.

"The gaffer's been really good to me, he's told me not to worry about scoring and that's reassuring.

"I've known him since I was 15 or 16, he knows how I work and he knows what I'm capable of."

As Sinclair's goalscoring has dried up, so the pundits' view of Swansea has shifted.

Swansea have been praised for their style this season, but defeat at Blackburn has led some to question their approach.

Just like his approach to penalty duty, Sinclair is keeping cool.

"We're not worried," he added."We believe in what we're doing and we are confident we can put things right."

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-14090602-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Hangeland: Fulham are stronger than ever

BREDE Hangeland reckons this is the strongest Fulham squad he's ever known.

Victory over Liverpool on Monday night hauled Martin Jol's men up to 13th in the table - five points clear of the drop zone ahead of tomorrow's trip to Swansea City.

The Whites recorded their highest-ever top-flight finish and reached the Europa League final under former boss Roy Hodgson.

But Norwegian defender Hangeland, who moved to SW6 four years ago, insists the current crop at Craven Cottage has even more potential.

He told the Chronicle: "I think the squad we have now is the strongest since I've been here, in terms of depth and quality.

"There's not that many injuries and we've bought a few new players. There's competition all over the pitch."

Fulham face a big month with Premier League clashes with Manchester United and Chelsea, while they also have a Europa League showdown against Odense with qualification in the balance.

And Hangeland admits December will be vital for the Whites.

"We have difficult games coming up but I think the way we've played against Liverpool and Arsenal have shown it doesn't matter who we play because we're just as likely to pick up points," he said.

"The more games there is the more important that month will be, and December is be one of the busiest ones.

"But we're confident we're moving in the right direction with five points from the last three games."

Fulham looked like they have finally turned the corner after a frustrating start to the season.

However, Hangeland is refusing to set any targets.

He added: "We're not even talking about the top 10 at the moment. We're talking about trying to get away from where we are in the league."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/12/09/hangeland-fulham-are-stronger-than-ever-82029-29923571/?#ixzz1g1bbYnTG

WhiteJC

FM Preview: Swansea City v Fulham 10 Dec 2011

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Swansea City take on Fulham in a Premier League match on 10th December 2011 at 15:00.
History of the Swansea City v Fulham fixture

Fulham pack their bags to visit Swansea City at Liberty Stadium on Saturday afternoon, needing to turn around their fortunes at the ground. The Cottagers will be hoping to improve upon a record which has seen them lose 15 and win only 6 of the 29 games.

The previous match played between the two at Liberty Stadium was within the last three years, in February 2009, where the two sides shared the spoils courtesy of a 1-1 final scoreline in a F.A. Cup match.

Recent encounters between the teams
Season   Date   Team   Result   Team   Comp
2008/2009   Tue 24 Feb   Fulham   2 - 1   Swansea City   F.A. Cup
2008/2009   Sat 14 Feb   Swansea City   1-1   Fulham   F.A. Cup
1996/1997   Tue 11 Feb   Fulham   2 - 1   Swansea City   League Division Three
1996/1997   Sat 14 Sep   Swansea City   1 - 2   Fulham   League Division Three
1995/1996   Sat 11 Nov   Fulham   7 - 0   Swansea City   F.A. Cup
1993/1994   Sat 07 May   Swansea City   2 - 1   Fulham   League Division Two
1993/1994   Sat 27 Nov   Fulham   3 - 1   Swansea City   League Division Two

Recent respective form guides
Swansea City have been playing quite well at home, winning 3, drawing 2, and losing just 1. A total of 8 goals have been scored by the Swans in those games, with 2 conceded.

Fulham have an average recent record on the road, seeing them win just 1 and draw 2 of the last six. Only 3 goals have been registered in this time, with 5 leaked at the wrong end.

Swansea City find themselves struggling down in 15th position in the league having picked up 14 points from their 14 matches.

Fulham see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 15 points from their 14 games played so far,

Current overall team form
Team   P   W   D   L   F   A   P
Swansea City   6   1   3   2   7   8   6
Fulham   6   2   2   2   7   6   8

FootyMad's prediction ...
Not a lot has been going right generally for Fulham on their travels as of late, but we can certainly see them gleaning a point from their game against Swansea City. No-score draw

Sequence statistics
Team   Sequences
Swansea City   Failed to win in previous 2 home matches.
                        Not won in the 4 most recent games.
Fulham           Not won in previous 3 away matches.

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_swansea_city_v_fulham_10_dec_2011_717002/index.shtml?

os5889

FA Cup confirmation: FFC's 3rd Round FA Cup tie against Charlton Athletic will be played on Saturday 7th January. The game will KO at 3pm.

WhiteJC

CARLISLE UTD KIDS FACING TOUGH TEST AT FULHAM IN FA YOUTH CUP

Eric Kinder says Carlisle United's bid to upset Fulham's Premier League prodigies in the FA Youth Cup will be the biggest challenge of his five years at Brunton Park.

The coach takes his under-18 team to London for Tuesday's third round game expecting a stern test against the cream of the Craven Cottage club's academy.

Carlisle's kids are top of their league but will be underdogs when they face Fulham at their Motspur Park training complex (kick-off 6pm).

"It's going to be an absolutely massive challenge," said Kinder, whose youngsters beat Sheffield Wednesday and Kidderminster to set up the game against Huw Jennings' side. "My contacts tell me it's the best Fulham youth team they have seen for years.

"We will have to be at our absolute best, but the boys have surprised me this season with how well they have done.

Kinder, whose side face Bury at Radcliffe tomorrow (11am), will be without injured striker Alex Salmon but winger Dave Symington is expected to be fit after a groin problem.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-united/latest/carlisle-utd-kids-facing-tough-test-at-fulham-in-fa-youth-cup-1.904909?referrerPath=/1.49997

WhiteJC

Swansea v Fulham preview
Team news ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash between Swansea and Fulham at the Liberty Stadium.

Swansea will be without midfielder Joe Allen.

Wales international Allen is suspended after being sent off in last weekend's 4-2 defeat at Blackburn and manager Brendan Rodgers must decide whether to replace him with Luke Moore, Wayne Routledge or Kemy Agustien.

Striker Danny Graham is available again after an Achilles problem kept him out at Ewood Park, with defender Steven Caulker another man back in contention, but Angel Rangel (ankle) remains sidelined.

Swansea (from): Vorm, Williams, Taylor, Caulker, Britton, Orlandi, Graham, Sinclair, Dyer, Dobbie, Routledge, Monk, Lita, Moore, Bessone, Tremmel, Agustien, Gower, Richards, Moras.

Fulham (from): Will appear here...

http://www.football365.com/match/3408274/preview?

WhiteJC

SWANSEA v Fulham: Moore, Routledge and Agustien in line to replace suspended Allen

Swansea will be without midfielder Joe Allen for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham at the Liberty Stadium.

Wales international Allen is suspended after being sent off in last weekend's 4-2 defeat at Blackburn and manager Brendan Rodgers must decide whether to replace him with Luke Moore, Wayne Routledge or Kemy Agustien.

Sit it out: Allen had featured in all 14 of Swansea's previous league games

Striker Danny Graham is available again after an achilles problem kept him out at Ewood Park, with defender Steven Caulker another man back in contention, but Angel Rangel (ankle) remains sidelined.

Provisional squad: Vorm, Williams, Taylor, Caulker, Britton, Orlandi, Graham, Sinclair, Dyer, Dobbie, Routledge, Monk, Lita, Moore, Bessone, Tremmel, Agustien, Gower, Richards, Moras.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2072044/SWANSEA-v-Fulham-Luke-Moore-Wayne-Routledge-Kemy-Agustien-line-replace-suspended-Joe-Allen.html#ixzz1g2X6No89

WhiteJC

Martin Jol takes a swipe at Europa League critics

Don't look back in anger: Bobby Zamora trudges past the Europa League
trophy after Fulham are beaten in the 2010 final

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists his side have nothing to fear from the addition of Manchester United and Manchester City to the Europa League.

Fulham will join their Premier League rivals in the last 32 if they beat Danish side Odense BK in their final Group K game at Craven Cottage next Wednesday - although they can't meet any of the English clubs until the following round.

But Jol has dismissed the suggestion that a testing journey through qualifying, the group section and the first phase of knockout football - embracing a total of 16 games - would have been in vain were Fulham to come up against two sides smarting from their humiliating failure to progress in the Champions League.

Ahead of tomorrow's Premier League clash at Swansea, Jol said: "You could ask the same of teams in the Champions League - what is the point of playing in it if you know that Barcelona will win the title, anyway?

"It is the same in all competitions. There are always only four or five clubs who could probably end up winning. But there is always a chance for outsiders, like we are, to do something."

Fulham did just that two seasons ago, when Roy Hodgson's heroes beat Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Hamburg on the way to the Europa League final where they lost to Atletico Madrid.

Along with the two Manchester clubs, those entering the last 32 of this season's competition include Ajax, Valencia and Porto. Their presence tends to make a mockery of the claim by French defender Patrice Evra that it is "embarrassing" for United to be competing in the Europa League.

Jol said: "I can understand that sort of disappointment, if you are a favourite to win the Champions League and then drop out to be in the Europa League.

"The Premier League is the priority but we are happy to play in the Europa League. My principle is that we want to do our best in Europe."

UEFA president Michel Platini was also unhappy with the criticism labelled at the competition by Sir Alex Ferguson and said: "I like England a lot, its football is fantastic, its supporters are wonderful. But you shouldn't criticise the Europa League just because you've played in three Champions League finals."

Europa League rules bar Champions League failures facing opposition from the same national association in the round of 32, so Fulham could not play United or City until the round of 16.
Having feared that an ankle injury picked up in Monday's win over Liverpool would sideline Danny Murphy for several weeks, the Fulham skipper could face Odense, or even Swansea, if he passes a fitness test later today.

Simon Davies, who has yet to feature this season after starting a Europa League qualifier in June before succumbing to a knee injury, is set for a comeback to Jol's squad but Damien Duff and Chris Baird are out and Steve Sidwell is a doubt.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24019742-jol-takes-a-swipe-at-europa-league-critics.do?

WhiteJC

Ex-boss Lawrie Sanchez set for Northern Ireland job interview

Lawrie Sanchez quit the Northern Ireland job in 2007 to take over at Fulham

Lawrie Sanchez is among the contenders to have been offered interviews for the vacant Northern Ireland job.

Former manager Sanchez is set to be interviewed for the role next week, along with the other candidates Jim Magilton, Michael O'Neill, Iain Dowie, Dave Jones and Gerry Armstrong.

Sanchez had a successful spell as Northern Ireland boss from 2004 to 2007 before leaving to take over at Fulham.

He is currently in charge of League Two side Barnet.

Sanchez took Northern Ireland from 124th in the world rankings to an all-time high of 27th during his reign but then quit the role in May 2007 just as his team appeared on the brink of qualification for Euro 2008.

LAWRIE SANCHEZ AND NORTHERN IRELAND
Sanchez took the Northern Ireland job in January 2004
Guided the team to competitive wins over England, Spain and Sweden during his reign
Quit job in May 2007 to take over at Premier League club Fulham
A critic of the efforts of previous manager Nigel Worthington

Nigel Worthington was unable to guide the Northern Irish to the finals and Sanchez went on to criticise his successor's efforts on a number of occasions.

The ex-Wimbledon striker made a very public intervention against Worthington in September when he claimed that the "writing was on the wall" for the then Northern Ireland manager after the 4-1 Euro qualifier defeat by Estonia.

Those comments received widespread criticism and there were suggestions that they might hinder Sanchez's prospects of ever returning to the Northern Ireland role.

However, he remains popular with sections of the country's support and will be interviewed next week.

His main rivals for the job appear to be former Ipswich manager Magilton, who won 52 caps for Northern Ireland, Shamrock Rovers boss Michael O'Neill, a 33-cap veteran, and Iain Dowie, who has managed six English clubs after playing 59 times for the country.

Dave Jones, who has managerial experience with Stockport, Southampton, Wolves and Cardiff City, will also be interviewed, as will former assistant manager Gerry Armstrong.

On Thursday, Swansea City's Brendan Rodgers said he rejected an approach to take the job on a part-time basis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16106860.stm

WhiteJC

Swansea vs Fulham

Martin Jol's men will go into this game with a massive hangover, and Im not talking about some sort of figurative post-Europe fatigue. No, Im talking a proper grip-the-duvet room-spinner.

You see, the big Dutchman ducked the modern trend of zero-tolerance after Monday nights victory, proclaiming that he and his team would 'have a nice drink to celebrate. You've got to love that.

As a result though, the Cottagers might struggle to score goals on Saturday. If my experience of Sunday League football is anything to go by, a number of their attacking players will turn up bleary eyed with one shin pad proclaiming that they 'fancy playing sweeper today'.

Swansea aren't the most prolific in front of goal either, but they should get a few opportunites in this one - especially when Brede Hangeland slips in John Arne Riises vomit after 10 minutes. Scott Sinclair might find that he gets a bit more space on the wing too, with Stephen Kelly too busy looking for someone in the crowd to sort him out with a Berocca.

Verdict: 1-0

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/weekend_predicitions_tottenham_talking_up_stoke_shows_how_confident_spurs_are_1_1149572?

WhiteJC

Warnock defends Liverpool striker after Fulham abuse

Neil Warnock believes the FA should look into the chants

QPR boss Neil Warnock has defended Liverpool striker Luis Suarez's alleged response to the abuse he received at Fulham on Monday night.

The Uruguay striker was repeatedly called 'cheat' in the clash at Craven Cottage and he allegedly reacted with an offensive gesture.

The Rangers boss believes the FA should do something about those abusing the player first.

"The FA should look into the chants by crowds and fine Premier League clubs if they give individual players so much abuse as they have done with Suarez," he said.

"If you're going to do the player, they should also look into where these chants come from and look at fining the people or clubs concerned.

"It's getting ridiculous now, there's nothing done about the chants that managers and players receive.

"I'd be tempted to do what Suarez did. If the FA don't take any action and then they get another Suarez situation, I'll understand why it's happened.

"Fans can do anything they want and as soon as a player reacts, he gets into trouble. That's the standard I detest.

"It's all right saying it's too many people to arrest, but if clubs allow groups of people to say anything they want, the FA or Premier League should fine the clubs.

"We shouldn't tolerate it. If it was racial abuse there'd be uproar.

"I think it's just as bad when you're talking about someone's family. We shouldn't accept it."

QPR travel to Anfield tomorrow and will look to inflict more misery on Kenny Dalgish with Liverpool's home form causing problems.

http://www.london24.com/sport/championship/qpr_2_5433/warnock_defends_liverpool_striker_after_fulham_abuse_1_1150044?