more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (14/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 14, 2011, 08:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

We must Riise to the occasion

John Arne Riise has called on Fulham 'to be on top of our game' in order to defeat Odense and progress in the Europa League.

The Norwegian international revealed that the club's Premier League campaign is their top priority, bu he described the visit of Odense to Craven Cottage on Wednesday as 'important' as Martin Jol's men must win to prevent the possibility of Wisla Krakow progressing from Group K to the last-32 ahead of them.

Riise said: "I think every competition and every game is important."

"The Europa League is going to be interesting now after the Champions League last week, with both Manchester teams now in and Valencia and stuff. It is a big competition and obviously we want to win the games, but at the same time we're also thinking about the Premier League.

"But now I'm focusing on the game on Wednesday and after that game, we'll see how it goes and focus on Bolton on Saturday.

"We go into the game hoping to win. I don't know the team yet so I don't know what the manager is thinking, but everybody wants to play.

"We want to win and get a good feeling going towards the weekend. We're meeting a side that is struggling in the Europa League, but at the same time we know they have the quality to hurt us if they play at their best.

"We have to be on top of our game, but I just want to play as much as I can - enjoy it, get in a rhythm and if you are rested sometimes that is fine as well.

"I just do whatever the manager tells me to do and I have always done that."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/12/14/We-must-Riise-to-the-occasion/gnid-121718/?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham v Odense BK (Wed)

Bobby Zamora is in line for a return to the Fulham starting XI for Wednesday's Europa League clash against Odense.

Despite speculation that he has fallen out with manager Martin Jol - he was surprisingly omitted from the Fulham squad for the 2-0 defeat at Swansea - Zamora will return in place of the suspended Andrew Johnson, who was sent off in the latter stages of the defeat to FC Twente last time.

In addition to being without Johnson, Fulham will not have Bryan Ruiz available as he is ineligible.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer faces a late fitness test after taking a knock against Swansea, while Damien Duff and defender Chris Baird are both in line for a return.

Victory against the Dutch side would see Fulham go through to the knockout stages of the competition and Jol has called on his squad to put in a big performance.

"I realise we need to win this game because of the Wisla Krakow away game, where we lost 1-0," he said. It made it difficult for ourselves and we have to win [against Odense].

"It is a must-win game.

"I know Twente will play almost a reserve side in the group's other match so I think Wisla have a great chance to win that game so we have to do everything to win."

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Etheridge, Riise, Kelly, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Dembele, Briggs, Kasami, Davies, Duff, Murphy, Gecov, Etuhu, Dempsey, Frei, Zamora, Sa.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/12/14/Preview-Fulham-v-Odense-BK-/gnid-121729/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol denies Bobby Zamora is looking for a move away from Fulham
Questions have been raised over the forward's future, but the manager says his striker is happy, claiming he was only dropped against Swansea because he has other quality players

Fulham manager Martin Jol has denied striker Bobby Zamora is looking for a move away from the club.

Recent reports suggested a bust-up between the pair and after the England striker was omitted from the squad to face Swansea on Saturday, it seemed the forward may be on his way out of Craven Cottage.

With a long list of potential suitors including QPR, Aston Villa and Sunderland, Jol has moved to deny the 30-year-old is unhappy at the club.

Jol told reporters: "They said we had a 'bust-up' but you always have a little bit of a disagreement.

"I said to him a few weeks ago, 'Do you love this club?' and he said, 'Yeah, I love this club, I love this team.'

"I don't think there is any problem. There is not one player that has told me he does not want to play for this squad.

"Of course there will be players who want to play all the games but I make the decisions about that.

"Sometimes you have to play other players, especially if they are quality players."

The former Tottenham boss also admitted he was irritated by the amount of emphasis on Zamora.

"It's a bit disappointing to talk about one player all the time as if nothing else is happening here," he added.

"Nobody asks me about other players when they didn't play one match — and it is one match. I think we have proved that Bobby is an important player for us."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/14/2802127/martin-jol-denies-bobby-zamora-is-looking-for-a-move-away?

WhiteJC

Tottenham in January bid for Fulham forward Bobby Zamora

Zamora on the move? The Fulham striker could transfer to Tottenham in January

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp will try to sign Bobby Zamora next month, having failed to buy the Fulham striker in the summer.

It has been reported that the England international has had a bust-up with Martin Jol, something which the Fulham boss denied yesterday.

Zamora was dropped for the defeat to Swansea on Saturday and Redknapp hopes he can convince Fulham to sell the forward when the transfer window re-opens.

The Spurs manager sees Zamora as the perfect back-up to first choice Emmanuel Adebayor and is determined to strengthen his attack as he expects to sell Roman Pavlyuchenko.

While Queens Park Rangers have asked about taking the Russia international on loan, chairman Daniel Levy is only interested in a straight cash deal. Pavlyuchenko is set to return to his homeland with Lokomotiv Moscow leading the chase for him.

Zamora, who had 18 months at Spurs before joining West Ham in 2004, wants regular first-team football to help his chances of making England's Euro 2012 squad and Redknapp will look to give him plenty of games even though Adebayor is No1 in the pecking order. At 30 years old, Zamora goes against Levy's preference for buying younger players who could have a sell-on value but Redknapp hopes the success of summer signings Scott Parker, 31, and Brad Friedel, 40, will convince the chairman to back him again.

Spurs' efforts could be improved by the fact Fulham want defender Vedran Corluka although the Croatian's wages, which are around £35,000 a week, could be an issue for the Craven Cottage side. Corluka wants a move having started just one League game this season and a number of clubs are monitoring the situation.

Redknapp is looking for a centre-half and Alex is one of his main targets now the Brazilian has been told he can leave Chelsea. However, the Blues will want around £8million for the player, who is under contract until 2013, and Spurs are unlikely to meet that price. Italian club Juventus remain Alex's favoured destination.

Meanwhile, Standard Sport understands that Michael Dawson is on course to be in first-team contention in mid-January.

The centre-half has been sidelined since injuring his Achilles against Manchester City in August. Dawson was only expected to be ruled out for two months but ended up having surgery in November.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24021356-tottenham-in-january-bid-for-fulham-forward-bobby-zamora.do?

WhiteJC

NO DISGRACE AS CARLISLE UTD KIDS BOW OUT OF FA YOUTH CUP AT FULHAM

Coach Eric Kinder said Carlisle United's youngsters could not have done more to keep Fulham's Premier League prospects at bay in their FA Youth Cup defeat.

The young Blues went down 3-1 in last night's third-round tie but pushed Fulham close, according to Kinder.

"We came up against an academy side who have been scoring five or six goals every week," said Kinder.

"We made life difficult for them and the players gave everything they had, which is all I could ask."

Watched by a host of scouts and the former Blues manager Neil McDonald – now assistant boss at West Ham – United went 2-0 down before Dale Minor halved the deficit on the stroke of half-time when his left-wing cross was misjudged by the Fulham keeper.

The Cumbrians had chances to level, through Brad Potts, Mark Beck and Dave Symington, before the Cottagers sealed victory on the break in the closing stages.

"We had enough chances to take it to extra-time but we got caught late on," Kinder added.

"Their captain, a German lad called Ronnie Minkwitz, scored twice and was probably the difference between the sides.

"But we gave a really good account of ourselves and their coach, Kit Symons, was very complimentary afterwards."

Kinder also paid tribute to the capital-based Carlisle fans who travelled to Motspur Park.

"We had some really good support from the London Branch – they came out in their numbers and I thank them for that, we all appreciated it," added the coach, whose side host Oldham in the league on Saturday.

Carlisle United: Parker, McGlen, Staunch, Morse, Minor, Todd, Potts (Jones 90), Lynch (Gwinnutt 72), Symington, Brough (Clarey 72), Beck. Not used: Rule, Berwick.

United have now sold about 2,200 tickets for the Boxing Day clash at Preston.
The Blues are advising fans that the originally-advertised price of £5 for 16-20s and students is incorrect, and should be £10.

"This error was a result of incorrect information initially provided to us by Preston North End," United said. "They have agreed to honour any tickets sold at the original £5 rate but from this point forward, prices will revert to the correct £10 price."

Any complaints or queries should be made to [email protected].

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-united/latest/no-disgrace-as-blues-youths-bow-out-at-fulham-1.906241?referrerPath=/1.49997

WhiteJC

Martin Jol plays down talk of Bobby Zamora rift ahead of 'must-win' Euro clash

If dealing with Bobby Zamora's mood swings was Martin Jol's only problem at Fulham, he would be better-placed to embrace the spirit of the season at Craven Cottage tonight.

However, a Europa League campaign which could come to a shuddering halt against Danish side Odense and a position in the Premier League that will become more perilous with defeat at home against bottom-club Bolton on Saturday leaves Jol facing the prospect of a bleak Christmas.

Having been rested for last weekend's game at Swansea, where a 2-1 loss means Jol's side are just three points clear of the relegation zone, Zamora is set to return for Fulham's final Europa League Group K clash.

And without the prolific Andrew Johnson to call on - the scorer of eight goals in 13 European games this season is suspended - Jol needs Zamora at his best because Fulham must beat Odense to be sure of making Friday's draw for the rounds of 32 and 16.

"It is a must-win game," said Jol, who is well aware that Fulham could lose second place in the group if Wisla Krakow beat a Twente team guaranteed top spot in the group.

"Twente will play almost their reserves, so Wisla have a great chance to win. We will have a strong team because we have to win."

It would be a major upset if Odense were to prevail. After all, Fulham are unbeaten in 22 European home games. But talk of a rift between Jol and Zamora has cast a shadow over their preparations.

Jol said: "It's been said we had a bust-up but there was never a bust-up. I said to Bobby a couple of weeks ago 'do you love this club?' and he said 'yeah, l love the club, l love the team'. I don't think there is any problem. There is not one player who told me that he doesn't want to play for this club."

That said, Jol refused to speculate on whether Zamora would still be a Fulham player in February, when he hopes his side will resume their Europa League challenge.

But if not Zamora, then he needs somebody to start finding the net. Only four Premier League teams have scored fewer than Fulham's 16 goals and that figure is inflated by the 6-0 win over Queens Park Rangers. Jol said: "It will be a hard fight to the end of the season. Hopefully, we will get to 40 points as soon as possible."

Besides Johnson, Fulham will tonight also be without injured pair Steve Sidwell and Danny Murphy. Recent absentees Damien Duff and Chris Baird are available and Mark Schwarzer is expected to play following a back complaint.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24021292-martin-jol-plays-down-talk-of-bobby-zamora-rift-ahead-of-must-win-euro-clash.do?

WhiteJC

FFC Matchday Programme

Fulham host Odense BK tonight knowing that a win will guarantee the Club's progression through to the last 32 of the UEFA Europa League.

With an exciting game ahead, the Whites could make it another night to remember having been in a similar position two years ago needing a victory to see off FC Basel.

With another memorable evening of European football expected, why not grab your very own little piece of Fulham history by picking up a copy of the Club's official matchday programme. During our last European adventure the publication became something of a collectors' item so grab yours for a bargain price of £3.

Featuring insight from Manager Martin Jol and Captain Danny Murphy, plus interviews with Stephen Kelly and Orlando Sa.

Former Fulham favourite Erik Nevland, who played his part as the Whites reached the 2010 UEFA Europa League Final, features as our guest columnist, while we provide everything you need to know about our Danish opposition.

There's also a Group K dossier and match action and pictures from our trip to Twente, plus news and views from around the Training Ground and much more besides.

One lucky reader will also win two Riverside Restaurant Hospitality passes for this Saturday's home game with Bolton courtesy of our official outdoor equipment partners Jack Wolfskin.

The official Fulham FC programme really is the essential matchday accessory and is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off.

Buy the programme online

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Fanzone/FFCMatchdayProgramme.aspx#ixzz1gVvk6AY2

WhiteJC

Big night for Fulham and O'Meara

Fulham are preparing for a vital game at Craven Cottage, where a victory against Danish side Odense this evening would take them into the knockout stage of the Europa League.

The Whites' recent defeat against group winners FC Twente means they will go out of the tournament if Wisla Krakow pull off an upset against the Dutch club and Fulham fail to win their game.

Bobby Zamora, a notable absentee against Swansea on Saturday, is expected to feature despite persistent reports of a bust-up between the striker and manager Martin Jol.

Fulham, Europa League finalists in 2010, also have Damien Duff back but will be without suspended forward Andrew Johnson and injured midfielders Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell.

It is an important night too for boxer Steve O'Meara, who takes on Nathan Weise at Bethnal Green's York Hall.

It will be O'Meara's first defence of the southern area light-middleweight belt he won with a stunning first-round knockout of fellow West Londoner Ryan Toms at the same venue in September.

O'Meara, 27, hopes to challenge for the British or Commonwealth title next year.

"I've got plans for my future so don't want any slip-ups in this fight," he said.

"If I'm going to get to where I think I can be, I need to be getting past fights like this and that's what I intend to do."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/todays-action/big-night-for-fulham-and-boxer-omeara/

WhiteJC

Wednesday's Bet of the Day: Fulham to see off OB in the Europa League
The English side host Odense BK in their final group game. Jim Knight previews where the value lies as the hosts look to secure their place in the next round

After a disappointing loss away to FC Twente, Fulham will be looking to bounce back against Odense BK and ensure their participation in the next round of the competition. Martin Jol's side went down 1-0 in the Netherlands and are now just one point above Wisla Krakow - but they will be confident of a win against the group's bottom team.

OB have claimed just three points in their five matches, losing their last four consecutive games in this competition and now have no chance of qualification. Unsurprisingly, the home side are heavy 1/4 favourites to win the game with Stan James, while OB are priced at 12/1 with the draw 19/4.

Although OB's results haven't been good in this competition, they have scored in four out of their five matches, and both teams to score could be a tempting bet at 11/10 considering Fulham have only kept one clean sheet themselves.

Andrew Johnson scored both goals in the reverse fixture between these two sides in Denmark. Bashkim Kadrii scored a hat-trick for the visitors in their last league game and he could be one of the main threats to Fulham.

Jol has demonstrated his intention to take this competition seriously by naming strong line-ups in previous games, and there is nothing to suggest that will change here, especially as their place in the next round is not assured.

Fulham HT/ FT is 4/6, and considering OB have nothing to play for, the London-based side could look to put the tie beyond them early.

The Danes have also been behind at half-time in all four games that they've lost in the group. Punters with confidence in Fulham's strikeforce, can back them to score at least three goals at even money (2.0).

Bet of the Day: Fulham HT/FT at 4/6 (1.67) with Stan James

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2994/betting/2011/12/14/2800937/wednesdays-bet-of-the-day-fulham-to-see-off-ob-in-the-europa?

WhiteJC

Rufus Brevett previews Fulham v Odense

Former Fulham star Rufus Brevett looks ahead to the club's Europa League clash with Odense tonight.

To listen to the interview in full, click the link above

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/hawksbee-and-jacobs/blog/2011-12-14/rufus-brevett-previews-fulham-v-odense?

WhiteJC

Bobby Zamora Is Happy At Fulham. Or...Something.

Bobby Zamora is staying right where he is, happy and content at Fulham. Apparently, the media, way back in August, started some sort of slanderous campaign against Martin Jol, regarding a "bust up" with Bobby, but worry not, apparently everything's cool now.

Jol asked Zamora if he loves Fulham, Zamora said yeah, and now Bobby and Martin are off carving intertwining hearts into tree trunks in Bishops Park.

Forgive my skepticism, but what footballer admits to not liking his club while he's actually there? I'm not so sure Jol should be out getting a BZ25 tattoo, you know? But that doesn't change what's most important: Aston Villa do not need Zamora.

Nope, do not need, do not want. More than anything, I hope this is simply the media linking Villa with any old English player. Sorry, but we already have at least one English international that doesn't fit very well into our system (although Darren Bent might be re-examining his starved-for-service argument after last weekend) -- why on earth would we splash out what would undoubtedly be way too much money for Zamora in January?

The scary thing is that, given Zamora's similarity to Emile Heskey, I can see Alex McLeish targeting him during the transfer window -- further cementing the belief that the manager really has no idea how to make the best use of this club's meager resources. Nor its stash of talent, come to think of it.

http://www.7500toholte.com/2011/12/14/2635366/bobby-zamora-aston-villa?