Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/03/10)

Started by WhiteJC, March 16, 2010, 07:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5951
Roy raves about Rooney
by Dan on March 15, 2010

Lesser mortals would quickly run out of things to say about Wayne Rooney. Not our Roy.

Wayne Rooney is proving he is among the best in the world every week. He is scoring lots of goals in a tough league like ours. He is starring for England and is starring in the Champions League.

Anyone doing that is a player who will be talked about and someone everyone else is going to be coveting. It is no surprise people are coveting Wayne Rooney.

It is pointless for me to say Wayne Rooney is an excellent player because you could get that from the man in the pub. I just know we don't have that kind of money.

Hodgson had words of solace for his Fulham side, who competed well, but were dealt a critical blow by the concession of the first goal so soon after half time.

We passed the ball quite well and defended well. We did all the good work yet within a minute of the second half we conceded a goal and from that moment, of course, the game was always going to be difficult for us.

It was touch and go at half time whether Hangeland could continue, it was pretty obvious he couldn't which forced us to make yet another change in the team and what was already going to be a difficult task, trying to get a result here, became even more difficult when that change came about.

I'm a bit disappointed we conceded two late goals. It would have been nice if we could have at least got some reward for the hard word the boys put in, with a scoreline that is more respectable than 3-0, but one just has to hold up one's hand in these occasions and say that we were, of course, beaten by a better team.

But I can't really ask so much more of the Fulham team, I don't think, than they gave today.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/03/15/fulham-wait-on-brede-hangeland-injury-82029-26036769/
Fulham wait on Brede Hangeland injury

FULHAM are sweating on the fitness of Brede Hangeland after getting crocked in Sunday's defeat at Manchester United.

The giant Norwegian defender was substituted in the second-half at Old Trafford with a chest problem, and had treatment in the dressing room after the game.

And boss Roy Hodgson is desperate not to have another name added to his injury list.

"It's not good at the moment," said Hodgson after the match.

"He has a spasm caused by a blow to the chest. It was doubtful at half-time that he would continue but he gave it a try.

"We hope it's not a major injury but it's affected us today of course because we had to reshuffle after going a goal behind.

"We'll assess the injury tomorrow [Monday] and get a clear picture of what has happened."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5953
Brown back to bolster midfield options
by Dan on March 15, 2010

Wayne Brown's recall from his loan spell at Bristol Rovers is an interesting development. We've tracked his progress from his spell in Scandinavia and wondered whether he might get a first-team chance somewhere along the line. Fulham are a little short of bodies in central midfield at the moment, so Brown's recall hints that Roy reckons he's ready to step in. Watch this space

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6028962,00.html
Hodgson staying positive
Cottagers boss refusing to criticise troops
Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is staying positive about the club's season despite their 3-0 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.

The Cottagers are currently 10th in the Premier League despite juggling European football this term alongside the rigours of their domestic programme.

Hodgson's squad has been hit by injuries more than most and the experienced tactician believes they have done very well to be in the position they are in.

Fulham tackle Tottenham in an FA Cup replay next week and Hodgson is looking forward to their schedule easing after the White Hart Lane clash.

Injuries
"We have coped with this season better than anyone could have expected us to do, especially given the amount of players we have lost to injury," said Hodgson.

"We have done remarkably well to keep going as we have done.

"It is going to be very important for us to get through this period but once we get past Tottenham, things will start to settle down to a somewhat more normal programme."

Confidence
Although the fixtures are coming thick and fast Hodgson is wary that going out of the FA Cup or Europa League could affect confidence throughout his squad.

"My concern is that, having done so well, it will impact upon us if we go out of any of the competitions," he continued.

"It is very important that doesn't happen and we don't allow our season, which has been quite fantastic, just to slip away."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5958
Trotta earns Italy U19 call-up
by Dan on March 15, 2010

Congratulations to Marcello Trotta, so impressive for the U18s in their FA Youth Cup quarter final against Aston Villa last week, who has been included in the Italy under-19 squad for their friendly with Germany on Wednesday night.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5956
Hodgson calls on players to maintain 'fantastic' season
by Dan on March 15, 2010
Roy Hodgson has called on his Fulham players to battle through another injury crisis and continue their 'fantastic' season.

It's going to be very important for us to get through this period now. It's a tough spell with Juventus and the replay against Tottenham before things settle down into a more normal programme of playing once a week.

My major concern is that, after having done so well, if we go out of any of the competitions, that will impact upon us. It's going to be very important that that doesn't happen and we won't allow our season, which has been quite fantastic, to slip away.

Our programme has been very, very hard and maybe I can't expect the players to have the same sharpness a couple of months ago when we weren't playing all of these games.

We've coped with it better than anyone could have expected us to cope with it given that in January we lost five players. I think we've done remarkably well to keep going as we have done.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/league-one/fulham-recall-midfielder
Fulham recall midfielder
Wayne Brown is back with Fulham after Bristol Rovers loan
Bristol Rovers loan midfielder Wayne Brown has been recalled by parent club Fulham.

Brown initally joined the Pirates on a one-month deal but saw his stay extended after suffering an injury that interrupted his run in Paul Trollope's side.

The 21-year-old came on as a substitute in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Tranmere in his first game back from an ankle problem, however Fulham have decided they want him to return to Craven Cottage.

The London club want Brown for their reserve team friendly against Birmingham on Tuesday night.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=191789
Fulham - Will Bobby Run Dry?
It's fairly safe to say that Bobby Zamora has enjoyed some of the best form of his career during the season of 2009/10.

He's finally managed to incorporate goals into his seemingly indefensible style of play, and he has truly become invaluable to our attacking force.

His goal scoring streak has, however, hit a small brick wall, and with a set of difficult games ahead, I doubt whether Zamora will be tying up his 'Goalscoring Boots' any time soon.

While of course, it is acceptable for any forward to suffer a patch of bad form or dip in progress, I do fear that it will do the big man's confidence no good at all.

In football, as we all know, confidence is key, and Booby has had ups and downs in that very department. As soon as a few games pass by without the hitman banging in a goal or two, small minorities of the fans and press alike begin to criticise the ex-West Ham player.

BZ doesn't respond too well to criticism and his form seems to take a long time to build up; 1 and a bit years in fact, to be honestly precise.

All we can do then, is sit and hope this patch of tough games ahead prove to mean little to Bobby's overall game, or, even better, he ripples the net against all odds.

A hat-trick against Juventus and a winner against Spurs will do us all just fine, Bobby!

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/mark-schwarzer/loaner-report-31510.html
Loaner Report 3/15/10

Diomansy Kamara did not dress in Celtic's 3-0 win over Kilmarnock on Saturday due to a hamstring injury.

Eddie Johnson came off the bench in the 87th minute in Aris Thessaloniki's 2-0 win vs. PAOK Salonika on Sunday.

David Stockdale started, played 90 minutes and registered 7 saves in Plymouth Argyle's 1-1 draw at Coventry City on Saturday. He started and played 90 minutes in the Pilgrims' 2-0 loss at QPR last Tuesday.

Toni Kallio did not dress in Sheffield United's 1-0 loss to Peterborough United last Tuesday and in the Blades' 1-1 draw with QPR on Saturday.

Wayne Brown came off the bench in the 45th minute in Bristol Rovers' 0-0 draw with Tranmere on Saturday. Fulham have since recalled his loan deal.

Matthew Saunders started, played 90 minutes and scored TWO goals in Lincoln City's 3-1 win over Hereford United on Saturday

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5960
Juve slip up
by Dan on March 15, 2010

From 3-0 up and cruising to a far from satisfactory 3-3 draw against Siena, for whom Marco Materazzi played up front. Perhaps Fulham have a chance on Thursday ...

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=191801
Fulham - Hodgson`s a Trifle Miffed!
Surprisingly, the defeat up at Old Trafford didn`t hit me as hard as a defeat usually would.

Perhaps, possibly, our cup exploits have overtaken any Premier League aspirations we may have. We`ve no chance of qualifying for Europe through our league position and the only inducement to try and push a little higher up the table lies in the increased financial prize a higher finish would provide.

Nevertheless, the above edict isn`t some sort of justification to just lie down and meekly surrender in our remaining league games. As Roy has so often preached the Premier League is the reason for our clubs existence. Therefore, you can understand why Roy was a little miffed with score line at Old Trafford commenting,

"At 0-0 you have that bit of extra energy but when we went 1-0 down it was a bit harder. We were beaten by the better team but 3-0 is a bit harsh."

In the cold light of day though, you have to admit that only some woeful finishing and some fantastic keeping kept the score line as it was although a little part of me will forever wonder what might have happened if Bobby Zamora had of taken his chance when he looked to be one-on-one with Edwin Van der Sar.

It might have been a completely different ball game!

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5962
Italian injury crisis
by Dan on March 15, 2010

Juventus seem to be racking up the injuries. This from the AP wire:

Alex Manninger will miss another 15-20 days with a right thigh injury, adding to Juventus' goalkeeping worries with starter Gianluigi Buffon already out for a month with a similar injury.

Juventus reported Monday that medical tests on Manninger
revealed a muscle strain.

Third-choice Antonio Chimenti played in Juve's 3-3 draw with Siena on Sunday and will likely get the nod for the Europa League return game with Fulham and Juve's next Serie A match against Sampdoria.

Also, Juve defender Jose Martin Caceres has an abdominal problem and will head to Barcelona for tests Tuesday since the Spanish club holds his rights.

What a price a stirring second leg Fulham fightback?

WhiteJC

http://www.wsag.org/2010/03/fulham-fenway-and-the-future-of-everton/
When Skies Are Grey
The Evertonian Fanzine

Fulham, Fenway and the Future of Everton
Fulham FC: historically a yo-yo team acquainted with all four English professional divisions, this west London club currently play above that status thanks, largely, to the munificence of multi-millionaire foreign ownership.

Being a rich man's plaything is hardly going to generate good will towards a football club though.
Nor is any sympathy vote coming from the fact Fulham's top-flight attendances are massively inflated by Premier League tourists from Australia, South Africa, the United States and Asia, as well as by home-grown soccer browsers from across the metropolis.

However, what softens the focus where Fulham are concerned, in the eyes of many neutrals at least, is their stadium. Craven Cottage makes them, at first glance, a good old-fashioned football club. It affords Fulham a worthiness they don't necessarily merit as a Mohamed Al-Fayed sporting project.

Where this relates to Everton is in the benefit of having a stadium that appeals to the soul of the football fan. Because any 'ah' factor that Craven Cottage imparts can be multiplied several times over in the case of Goodison Park. And in the modern context of so many identikit new arenas, to call home a ground that breathes history, tradition and atmosphere can be a major advantage.

Goodison has often been portrayed as a millstone in the rhetoric of Everton's chief executive Robert Elstone. Yet it also represents an opportunity to the custodians of EFC, if only they want to see it. By preserving and developing arguably the most historical venue in the English game, they could have a heritage site on their hands.

They have the chance of holding, in the Everton name, the footballing equivalent of baseball's oldest stadium, Fenway Park in Boston. When you consider that Goodison was the world's first purpose-built soccer ground, then it would be perfectly fitting for the 'Old Lady' to become similarly revered. It would also put a rose tint on the way the Blues are generally perceived.

The Everton board would probably trot out the familiar, ambition-reducing line about cost – yet isn't it about time they properly financed their football club. Consider Sheffield Wednesday's plans for updating the legacy of their own traditional theatre of football.

Such an undertaking requires wit, will, vision and intelligence. These, however, are not qualities readily associated with Everton directors whose outstanding talent seems to be a three-month disappearing act every summer, just when you need them.

So Keith Harris finally pulls his finger out to help Manchester United in their time of relative financial need. It is a task he may even see through to a successful conclusion, in marked contrast to his abject failures in the name of Newcastle and Everton. As the old saying goes: Where there's a will ...

Sign Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani for tens of millions of pounds. Then nab Chris Smalling and, if the media machine is churning out any semblance of truth, turn your sights on Jack Rodwell and Dan Gosling. Yes, the famous Man United youth policy in action again.

How amusing to see all those Man United fans in their yellow and green scarves, occupying the moral high ground at Old Trafford. Don't they realise it was the great god of money, even more than the genius of Sir Alex Ferguson, that created the modern, all-powerful Man United. Only now that the same great god threatens their power base do they develop a conscience. Hopefully the natural law that says every empire must fall will one day apply to the red half of Manchester.

Virgil Watson

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/things-5/
Things
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 9:32 pm

You don't normally see that much defending.  Busy lad.

Something else:  this morning I read that Manchester United had 35 shots at our goal, which is the most anyone's managed in the league this year.    Phew.

Isn't it amazing that United have come up with two players in the last three years who will end up with around 40 goals in a season?   Instinct tells me that this is a team game and that Ronaldo and Rooney have been lucky to be the focal point of these attacks;  my eyes remind me that in fact they're just brilliant players.    One of the downsides of the modern game is that everything and everyone is SUPER, but in 50 years time people will still talk about Ronaldo and Rooney, I'm sure of that (especially if they can maintain current standards for 10 more years).

There's not much else about the Premiership that deserves great praise, but Alex Ferguson's United dynasty will take some beating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/dominance-or-typical-road-performance.html
Dominance or typical road performance?

A lot has been made over Roy Hodgson's tactics when on the road. But looking at yesterday's passing, it makes one wonder if it was less a case of "negative" tactics and more just sheer dominance by United's back four and midfield.

Not a single attempted pass inside the box. I made a point last month about Fulham doing something similar to Burnley, and the same happened here.

Also, notice the density of passes amongst United's back four and the lack of red dots — especially in comparison to Fulham's passing. Sometimes playing with one striker can make the forecheck, (or ride, or whatever lingo you want) work.

Here it obviously did not.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5970
Foderingham starts well at Bromley
by Dan on March 15, 2010

I was surprised to hear that the England under-19 goalkeeper Wes Foderingham has joined Bromley on loan. It seems a bit of a dramatic drop down the leagues for a spot of first-team football but Roy knows best.

Anyway, Foderingham made his debut for Bromley in their 2-0 win over Worcester on Saturday and apparently made a string of fine saves.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5974
Duff wins goal of the month
by Dan on March 15, 2010

Forget to congratulate Damien Duff over the weekend for winning MOTD's goal of the month competition with this excellent strike (you have to watch Bairdy's brilliant header first, though) that brought Fulham back into contention against Birmingham. Well done Duffer!

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5976
Dempsey delighted to be back
by Dan on March 16, 2010

Clint Dempsey says he's delighted to back in the Fulham first team after suffering a serious ankle injury against Blackburn in January.

Initial media reports suggested the American midfielder might miss this summer's World Cup – including a repeat of the USA's famous 1950 game against England on June 12 – but Dempsey returned to the Fulham side as a substitute against Juventus last Thursday. He followed that up with a start at Manchester United on Sunday and is hoping to feature in an exciting run of games for Fulham, starting with the return leg against Juve later this week.

That's why you play in the Premiership, so you can play the best teams in the world so it's exciting when you get to play in those games. You want to play in big games and it was great to be back.

I'm still working on trying to be 100% fit and get the sharpness back. But it's good to be back playing – I knew there was a possibility of me getting on the pitch against Juventus. Now that I've got the first game out of the way hopefully I'll be able to improve on my fitness and quality.

They told me that I would be out for between five to eight weeks and it took seven weeks. Sometimes that's the way it goes, I've been in England for three years and seven weeks is the longest I've been out so I feel fortunate.

I'm not so sure about the new beard Deuce has been growing during his time off, though.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5972
A lower league cracker
by Dan on March 16, 2010

For those of you who missed it on Saturday, Cheltenham won 6-5 at Burton Albion on Saturday. Sounds interesting, enough, doesn't it?

What makes it more remarkable is that Burton, managed by former Fulham centre forward Paul Peschisolido were 2-0 up at half time and led 4-2 with seven minutes remaining. Even after Michael Pook drove in a free-kick, Steve Kabba looked to have made the game safe for Albion a minute later.

Poke's incredible hat-trick included a dramatic winner in the fourth minute of stoppage time. Barry Hayles was on the bench for Cheltenham. Watch all the drama here and then hear from a disbelieving Pesch.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/JuventusArriveEarly.aspx
Juventus Travel Advice
Monday 15th March 2010

Fulham fans are reminded to leave plenty of time if they are coming to Thursday evening's game against Juventus at Craven Cottage.

With the match kicking-off at 6pm supporters are advised to take into account rush hour congestion and allow for additional travel time.

Tickets for this game have sold out and supporters collecting tickets on the day are reminded that the Craven Cottage Ticket Office will be open from 9am for collections.

To avoid congestion at the turnstiles supporters are kindly asked to enter the stadium and take their seats as early as possible on Thursday evening. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/JuventusArriveEarly.aspx#ixzz0iKG2Q4Ms