more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (21/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 21, 2011, 08:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Squad sheets: Fulham v Manchester United

Craven Cottage's reputation as a "good away" in the eyes of the United support has been tarnished of late, with the team taking only one point from the old stadium in the past three seasons. The jinx feels less likely to strike this time, given the way that Sir Alex Ferguson's team have built the best away record in the country. Unbeaten and seemingly impenetrable at the back, they travel with conviction. On the flipside, though, they are due a reverse and Martin Jol's Fulham project is coming together. This will be the London club's 32nd game of a season that began with a 3-0 win against Runavik in June. David Hytner

Venue Craven Cottage, Wednesday 8pm

Last season Fulham 2 Man Utd 2

Referee Mark Halsey

This season's matches 7 Y17 R0

Fulham v Manchester United: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Photograph: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Kelly, Hughes, Briggs, Kasami, Duff, Gecov, Frei, Zamora, Sá

Doubtful None

Injured Davies (back), Grygera (knee), Schwarzer (back), Sidwell (hernia)

Suspended None

Man Utd

Subs from Amos, Lindegaard, Diouf, Berbatov, R da Silva, Park, Gibson, Giggs, Young, Hernández

Doubtful None

Injured Anderson (knee), Cleverley (ankle), Fletcher (illness), Owen (thigh), Vidic (knee)

Suspended None

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/20/squad-sheets-fulham-manchester-united?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

WhiteJC

Smalling hails old pals at Fulham ahead of return to Craven Cottage with United

Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has admitted he would not be where he is today without the two years he spent at Fulham.

Smalling will show no mercy towards his old club on Wednesday when United visit Craven Cottage hunting three more points in their quest to retain the Barclays Premier League title.

However, the 21-year-old will be greeting some old friends before and after kick-off.

Rising star: Chris Smalling joined Manchester United from Fulham in 2010

And, although he only made 14 senior appearances for the Cottagers, it was the period between being snapped up from non-league Maidstone to arriving at Manchester United in 2010 that turned him into an England international.

'Without [former Fulham boss] Roy Hodgson giving me my chance there I wouldn't be here,' he said. 'I had a big two years there and it is a time I look back upon fondly.

'My first year was about finding my feet. The second was about showcasing what I can do.

'It'll be nice to go back and see a few of the players and play back at the Cottage.'

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson needs to decide what changes to make for United's second trip to London in four days.

Behind the scenes, though, the Red Devils' hierarchy has become increasingly vexed at the statements of agent Jose Irribaran about Argentina winger Nicolas Gaitan.

When Irribaran claimed United were in talks with Benfica about buying the player, the patience of chief executive David Gill finally snapped.

It has been stressed by senior United officials that Ferguson has expressed no interest in Gaitan, will not be doing so in the future and the chances of the player ending up at Old Trafford are zero.

Tough test: United travel to Craven Cottage on Wednesday night

Not that Gaitan, or any other new arrival, could assist at Fulham, who bounced back from their shock Europa League exit by beating Bolton on home soil at the weekend.

'Fulham have had a strong foundation there for the last few years and have kept the squad pretty solid,' said Smalling.

Although their campaign is generally viewed as a bit of a shambles given it includes that 6-1 hammering by Manchester City in October, a home Carling Cup defeat by Crystal Palace and, earlier this month, a Champions League exit that could cost up to £20million, United's overall record in the Premier League at least has been good.

International: Smalling is now an England player

It may only have been recently that the goals have started to flow again but, with six wins and a draw from seven outings, Ferguson's side have bounced back from that derby-day mauling in fine style.

Providing that winning run continues, festive home games against relegation-threatened duo Wigan and Blackburn offer an obvious opportunity to increase the momentum - in the latter case, taking over the Premier League leadership for more than the four hours they were able to on Sunday.

So, whilst some clubs find it difficult to juggle their squads over such a congested phase on the season, United view this period as an opportunity, even if their midfield resources remain woefully thin.

'The players always look forward to this time of year because there are plenty of games,' said Smalling. 'We are used to the demands of so many games, so it is a big opportunity to pick up a lot of points - and we are aiming for the maximum.

'Christmas can be a hindrance on some and even make or break you in terms of kicking on. But this is a period where we really need to show everybody we mean business.'

The surprise return of Javier Hernandez from an ankle injury at QPR offers Ferguson a further attacking option, which provides the opportunity to drop Wayne Rooney back into a midfield role.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2076715/Chris-Smalling-hails-Fulham-ahead-return-Manchester-United.html#ixzz1h9ozdDez

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW: FULHAM VS MANCHESTER UNITED

United return to west London this week hoping to repeat Sunday's success at QPR. Alex Ferguson must decide how much, if any, of his team to change for their second game in four days.

It's a difficult decision seeing as they played so well against QPR and, for but a few incredible saves from the Rs 'keeper and a little better luck, United could have won by a much more comfortable margin than 2-0.

As a match the QPR fixture was never going to set the world alight. However, a few performances really stood out and set United in good stead for the game against Martin Jol's Fulham. Smalling, Valencia, Carrick, Evans, Nani, Rooney and Jones were all top draw. Jones and Carrick really bossed the midfield and Carrick's goal capped a great personal performance. Jones was an inspiration and had the self-proclamied 'best midfielder in England', Joey Barton, in his pocket. Fate, in the shape of a 'keeper's foot, however, conspired to deny Jones a third goal in a row. Both should, you'd like to think, start against QPR. This would allow them the chance to evolve their ever blossoming partnership.

In goal De Gea will probably play although Fergie may opt to rest him and give Lindegaard a start with such a short turnaround inbetween games. Chris Smalling gets a chance to return to his former club and remind them of the skills they're missing. What Fulham wouldn't give for someone of the stature and calibre of Smalling back amongst their ranks?

Jonny Evans and Ferdinand should continue their partnership in the middle of the back four unless Ferguson feels that two games in four days is too much for an ageing Fedinand? If this is the case, with recent injuries, Valencia or Jones could drop back to right back with Smalling filling in in the middle. This is, however, unlikely as it would have big implications on the midfield.

Left back could prove an increasingly interesting selection choice for Ferguson over the coming weeks and months. Evra donned the captain's armband against QPR and appears to have earned that role in Vidic's absence. His performance, however, was weak at best. Far too often he was beaten down the left flank at Loftus Road and, if starting on Thursday, he must improve. Ferguson isn't afraid of dropping big names and Evra must be careful, especially with the improving and maturing Fryers hot on his heels.

Midfield could see a few changes, although I hope not, with Young in need of game time and a return to form and Giggs, Park and Gibson, I'm sure, eager to get a run out. One player across the second bank of four who must feel pretty confident of a start is the immense Nani. Whether he starts wide left or right he will be hoping, as will United fans, to continue his rich vein of form.

Rooney seems back to his best so is a nigh on guaranteed starter at Craven Cottage. Who will partner him, though, is yet to be seen. Welbeck was taken off after about sixty minutes at QPR for a unexpectedly fit Hernandez. Welbeck needed those sixty minutes to gain some game time and, I were betting on it, would start again with Hernandez coming on from the bench. This prediction of mine, if it comes true, draws Berbatov's time at the club ever nearer. Sad times, indeed, if this is the case.

Fulham will be tackling United without Zamora, Sidwell, Davies, Schwarzer and Grygera. Missing players of that quality should aid us no end and I predict another successful trip to west London.

Merry Christmas to everyone. Here's hoping that Santa brings a Rooney hattrick and a couple of Man City losses!

http://redflagflyinghigh.com/2011/12/blogs/match-preview-fulham-vs-manchester-united?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Man Utd

Jol concerned over Zamora unrest talk Fulham manager Martin Jol admits the regularity of reports regarding Bobby Zamora's future is becoming a concern.

There has been mounting speculation over recent weeks that the pair's relationship is fraught, leading to suggestions the England international could leave Craven Cottage in January.

Jol has constantly batted back such talk and was forced to once again after a report that Zamora was told to train with the reserves.

"No, there is no reserves yesterday (Monday) because we have a game today," Jol said.

"We always train with a rest group (those not involved in the match against Bolton) so Aaron Hughes was there, [Pajtim] Kasami, [Marcel] Gecov.

All the players who were not involved in the game.

"That is the normal thing to give theme extra loading.

"I don't know what they are on about and it was not with the reserve team coaches.

"There is no rift, Bobby is Bobby.

"He was fine on Monday, he trained with all the players who didn't start.

"Those 14 did a session to load them, and he was fine.

" The speculation has seen Zamora linked with a host of Barclays Premier League clubs, including QPR, Tottenham and Sunderland.

"I'm not concerned," Jol said.

"For me it's not a big problem.

"I'm only concerned that this sort of thing is coming up all the time.

"I don't know but for me there is no problem.

" Jol will be able to welcome Zamora back for the match against Manchester United, having missed Saturday's 2-0 defeat of Bolton with a medial ligament injury in his left knee.

"We have always had that belief," Jol said of the Bolton victory.

"The only difference is we got the points and played well, scored a couple of goals and didn't concede.

"Obviously United can punish you and sometimes they will.

"Man United and Chelsea, for example, they have got the extra quality if you give them space.

"We allowed Bolton to have six or seven shots but you cannot allow the likes of Man United to do that.

"I think every game stands on itself.

Liverpool was good, Man City was nice but Man United is probably different.

"You have to play to your strengths and that is what we will try to do and try to avoid them exploiting us with their quality.

"We had a 3-0 win and a 2-2 draw recently so we seem to do well against them.

"I think it could be coincidence but it could be our style as well.

" While Zamora returns to face Sir Alex Ferguson's side, Steve Sidwell continues to miss out after a hernia operation and fellow midfielder Simon Davies has a back complaint.

Meanwhile, Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has admitted he would not be where he is today without the two years he spent at Fulham.

Smalling will show no mercy towards his old club when United visit Craven Cottage hunting three more points in their quest to retain the title.

However, the 21-year-old will be greeting some old friends before and after kick-off.

And, although he only made 14 senior appearances for the Cottagers, it was the period between being snapped up from non-league Maidstone to arriving at Manchester United in 2010 that turned him into an England international.

"Without [former Fulham boss] Roy Hodgson giving me my chance there I wouldn't be here," he said.

"I had a big two years there and it is a time I look back upon fondly.

"My first year was about finding my feet.

The second was about showcasing what I can do.

"It'll be nice to go back and see a few of the players and play back at the Cottage.

" Manager Sir Alex Ferguson needs to decide what changes to make for United's second trip to London in four days.

The surprise return of Javier Hernandez from an ankle injury at QPR offers Ferguson a further attacking option, which provides the opportunity to drop Wayne Rooney back into a midfield role.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/previews/fulham-v-man-utd-66373/?

WhiteJC

Queens Park Rangers and Tottenham Look to Raid £7m England Striker from Premiership Rivals

According to a report in the Daily Mail this morning, Fulham striker Bobby Zamora has been forced to train with the reserves by manager Martin Jol, suggesting that a departure from Craven Cottage could be in the offing.

Jol's decision now means that his 30 year-old striker, having been omitted from the weekend's 2-0 win over Bolton, is also unlikely to be involved in Wednesday's clash with champions Manchester United.

A move across London, either to Tottenham or Queens Park Rangers, now seems to be the most sensible course of action for Zamora should he wish to reignite his chances of playing at Euro 2012.

Having just scored three goals in his eleven Premiership matches so far this season, he is clearly below his best form, too, and a transfer may reinvigorate him sufficiently to impress Fabio Capello.

With Roman Pavlyuchenko and Jermain Defoe uncertain of their respective futures at White Hart Lane, it is very plausible that Harry Redknapp may make a canny move for Zammora, who is rated at around £7 million, in the New Year.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/queens-park-rangers-and-tottenham-look-to-raid-7m-england-striker-from-premiership-rivals-14437/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Manchester United Preview

Our second home game in less than a week will see us welcome the reigning champions Manchester United.

United arriving at Craven Cottage is always an eagerly anticipated fixture, there`s just something magical about it.

Having beaten Bolton on Saturday, Martin Jol will be keen to keep the momentum going but the camp will be well aware that United are a completely different proposition to a struggling Bolton side.

Can we win? Just wait and see!

Vital Quotes:
To follow shortly

Fulham Team News:
Martin Jol takes his squad into this match without the injured Mark Schwarzer, David Stockdale will deputise. Also missing will be long term injury victim Zdenek Grygera whilst the midfield duo of Simon Davies and Steve Sidwell are also likely to miss out.

But, there should be a welcome return for Bobby Zamora after the striker missed our last two Premier League games for varying reasons.

Player to watch: Bryan Ruiz
His brilliant goal last time out has whetted the appetite. Has the Costa Rican finally adapted to life in the Premier League? A fixture against Manchester united is the stage to confirm our suspicions!

United Team News:
Sir Alex Ferguson has been suffering from something that is the bane of a manager`s life - injuries. The reigning champions have a plethora of stars out injured with Darren Fletcher, with his debilitating illness the latest to join a long list that currently includes, Michael Owen, Anderson, Nemanja Vidic, Tom Cleverley and Rafael da Silva

Last time out, against Queens Park Rangers, Javier Hernandez returned form injury, will he start? We suspect not as we reckon Danny Welbeck will hang onto his first team spot.

Player to watch: Wayne Rooney
Don`t you just wish this lad was in our team? That sort of says it all does it not!

Match Facts & Stats
After being something of a safe haven for Manchester united, Craven Cottage has turned into something of a bogey ground in recent years.

United have gone from being undefeated in the first seven Premier League visits to Craven Cottage to not winning in the last three, in fact the stats show they`ve only won two of their last five against us in the Premier League - something that might surprise the neutrals amongst us.

Overall though, we`re struggling with Manchester United having won 43 of the 76 meetings between the two clubs!

Match Prediction:
The neutrals will have this down as a definite away win, but the stats from the last three seasons show we`re no pushovers. I`m of the belief that we can get something from this game. United are not the force they were, they`re a side in a mini-transition period and if we get amongst them we can get at least a draw, but a win, I`m not so sure.

Next Fixtures:
Our next fixture has us resuming life on the road with a trip to some place called Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=266328#ixzz1h9xsTx8n

WhiteJC

Odds and ends

We haven't done one of these for a while but here are some interesting links.

Jonathan Wilson on Villas-Boas.

"Rome wasn't built in a day," Brian Clough once said. "But then I wasn't on that particular job." It's a great line, but the truth is that the majority of managers need time. Clough himself, at both Derby and Nottingham Forest, finished his first season in the lower reaches of the second flight. There are examples, such as Arsène Wenger at Arsenal and José Mourinho at Chelsea, of managers winning titles in their first season, but wholesale restructuring requires patience.

And that is why Chelsea must be patient with André Villas-Boas, for it is wholesale restructuring that they are facing. The short-termism of their approach to managers has led to a long-term problem, a squad that has been allowed to grow old together. It's not just age, though; there is a cabal of senior players, a core of Mourinho loyalists, who seem resistant to change. Within a few weeks of the arrival of every manager who has followed Mourinho, with the exception of Guus Hiddink – who was only ever a temporary appointment – there have been rumblings about unpopular training methods. Every manager since Mourinho has attempted to change Chelsea's shape, and everyone has ended up going back to 4-3-3.

Perhaps that is even why Chelsea turned to Villas-Boas. He, after all, played a 4-3-3 and seemed in many other ways a second Mourinho – young, articulate, successful at Porto. The difficulty is that Villas-Boas' 4-3-3 is very different to Mourinho's: formations are neutral, it is their application that gives them specific qualities.

This is interesting because you could sort of substitute Martin Jol for Villas-Boas.  Our sources (Toby met someone interesting on a train) confirm that Jol's job is indeed to make the squad younger, and that doing this is not making him popular.  So really it's the same thing, except less urgent and with less pressure.

Here's something quite interesting from Freakonomics.  Talks about why the US sports' labour problems are perhaps down to not having a free market for sports like in Europe, and how this can lead to the rewarding of perenially unsuccessful teams (point being: who does this serve?).

Finally, a reminder that with the excitement of the Premier League's 20,000th goal, our own Moritz Volz got the 15,000th.  We were there, sitting high on the terrace back when we had the money to go to that sort of game....

(note the white-black-black arrangement – much better than the abomination we currently endure)

Now someone should count how many top flight goals there have been since 1888.  That's the real stat.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/odds-and-ends-9/?

WhiteJC

From the bottom to the top

Back to back home wins this month without conceding in the league have Fulham up to a respectable 11th in the table. While mid-table territory is packed, the strugglers keep losing ground

© Getty Images

Of late I've been drawing some flak for being perhaps over critical of our beloved side and not showing enough optimism. From the off this season I've had faith in Fulham to steer a course clear of the relegation places. My analysis of those who might suffer has proved entirely accurate, and as we dragged on through autumn still really looking to hit our straps, I was consoled with each set of results to observe three or four teams clearly far worse off than ourselves.

All teams at some point will struggle, and also by and large enjoy a purple patch. Let's hope ours is about to arrive anytime soon. Why not against the reigning champions? If you ever wanted a time to play bottom side Bolton - right after that smack in the mouth from Odense at the death - last weekend fitted the bill perfectly. The Trotters were truly woeful, duly sliced up before half-time, and sent packing.

But, and here comes that moan again, we still only seem to perform for one half in a game. Why is that? We generously allowed a poor team numerous sights of goal while failing to cash in on a defence that at times positively invited Fulham to run into the gaps. Stockdale thankfully looked unbeatable, meaning the forwards got off the hook for not adding to our two goals. Do defenders have to literally fall flat on their backs before AJ or Moussa manage a telling strike on target? It's Christmas, so let's have a competition. Who dares to predict the first game where Dembele wins any sort of header, not just in the box - I'll be generous, anywhere on the pitch will do. And with the openings Andy had, not to even test the keeper shows just how far his stock as a lethal finisher has fallen.

Come on Phil, let's keep a balance here. We played some lovely stuff in the first half and crafted two splendid goals. The Deuce is heading back to the heights of last year. Had he not fluffed his pen at Swansea he'd be on a run of four goals in four. As for Bryan, that audacious chip under pressure told you everything about the talent this chico has to offer. We aint seen nothin' yet from him!

OK, I'm being niggardly 'cause I want to see Fulham smash the opposition every time. Bolton really should have been blown away, and only Cahill held them together at the back. But who knows what might have happened had they rifled one of those chances beyond Stockers? Riise before half-time fluffing two chances to offload the winger, and then all but conceding a penalty on the stretch before Davies was teed up at 10 yards range. And then Etuhu in the 2nd half taking an air shot to a bouncing ball on the edge of the 'D' - woe is me!...check it out on the highlights clip and see for yourself.

I must hush my mouth or risk invoking more wrath. Three good points, a better style of play without Bobby, well done lads. There I said it. It will now be interesting to see what style and shape the Whites adopt for the tricky run into January. I'm not saying the side is the better for having Bobby out of the centre. Jol does not know how to utilise our England man. Reading the West Brom blogger this week for info, he was lamenting their loss of Gera. In his words, the one man at the Hawthorns who knew how to support the front two. Precisely.

Fulham is ever moving away from the heroes who saw us to Hamburg. The board haven't got too much wrong since then. Hughes was a safe pair of hands, and they long courted Jol to encapsulate their vision for the next phase of seeing Fulham a Premiership force. We have a sparkling new stand on the drawing board to make us a 30,000 capacity ground, while the record profit sheet just announced, with 98 per cent capacity crowds, shows resounding business acumen during the chill wind of recession. Well done the CEO and his team!

Whoa, I'm getting heady on all this praise...Seriously folks, there are many much worse off than us in this league. I guess it's just the frustration I feel in not seeing us pushing on (yet) to really challenge for that top six place. Let's hope it's not far off. And for Manchester United this week? Well, I have some buddies coming in from Holland and we'll be enjoying the atmosphere in Block H at the Hammy End for sure, whatever the result.

Now we all know that nice old Scotsman with the red nose doesn't like bringing his superstars into Fulham's comely little dressing rooms. Even less on a raw night on midwinter's day just prior to Christmas. Nor does Mr. Rooney have fond memories of Craven Cottage, having been sent off here recently for petulance. People say the new keeper is dodgy, no Vidic to marshall the defence, a few injuries...do you sense Christmas might be coming early this week?

We have the players to do it. Let's rise to the occasion and make it another famous home win for the Whites!

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/12/from_the_bottom_to_the_top.php?

WhiteJC

Zamora can't always be No 1 at Fulham, warns Cottagers boss Jol

Martin Jol has told Bobby Zamora no player can expect to be granted an automatic place in the starting XI at Fulham.

The striker missed Saturday's 2-0 win over Bolton Wanderers with a knee ligament injury and trained on Monday with other players, such as Steve Sidwell, Aaron Hughes and Damien Duff, who did not feature at the weekend.

Zamora, 30, is back in the squad to face Manchester United and was involved in an 11 versus 11 tactical session for the whole of the first team on Tuesday.

Star man? Bobby Zamora goes close against Odense

But Fulham boss Jol refused to single out the England striker as his first choice forward and insisted Zamora has not necessarily been the main target man under his predecessors, Mark Hughes and Roy Hodgson.

Jol said: 'It would be silly when you've got 21 players to say: "This is my best team". If you work hard and have a good mentality that's important.

'There have been a lot of other players – (Eidur) Gudjohnsen, (Zoltan) Gera and (Diomansy) Kamara – and I don't think you could say: "That was our strike force".

'How many times did Bobby play with Andy Johnson in the last three or four years? Six or seven times.

'Even if you would like to start with a certain forward line you have to change it week by week, almost.'

No guarantee: Martin Jol has told Zamora he will not play every week

The Fulham manager went on to praise Bryan Ruiz, who finally showed his potential with a stunning individual goal and an assist last Saturday.

Jol said Ruiz has struggled since his £10.6million move from FC Twente on deadline day owing to a knee injury but compared the 26-year-old's talent to Chelsea star Juan Mata, who has impressed since moving from Valencia last summer.

The Dutchman said: 'Ruiz was a star in Holland and you saw against Everton, Arsenal and Bolton that he is somebody who can make the difference.

'I feel his best position is probably infield in a 4-3-3 like Juan Mata. It's one thing we have to think about in the future. He can play with a flank player, on the right himself or even as a second striker.

'When he came over he had an injury. I couldn't expect him to do the business from the start. Of course you want that, but it was impossible.

'Then after three weeks he had an injury again – the same one, the knee. But he will say: "I'm fit now".

'Ruiz will be an important player for us. If you talk about the season after next season it would be a bit late. Hopefully he can show his productivity in the next couple of months.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2076782/Martin-Jol-Bobby-Zamora-choice-Fulham.html#ixzz1hAeCqkUV

WhiteJC

Fulham's Martin Jol denies rift between him and Bobby Zamora
• Striker no longer first choice at Craven Cottage
• Manager confident ahead of Manchester United visit

Fulham's Bobby Zamora, left, appears to have fallen out of favour of late.
Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP/Getty Images

Martin Jol has warned Bobby Zamora he is no longer the "No1" striker in the Fulham attack but denied there is any rift between the pair.

The England forward has recovered from the knee injury that ruled him out of the 2-0 win against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday and although he is available for selection against Manchester United on Wednesday evening, Zamora appears to have fallen out of favour at Craven Cottage of late.

Asked if Zamora would be in his strongest lineup when all his forwards are fit, Jol said: "He was at the start of the last match but he was not fit so I had to play Andy Johnson, which in hindsight was a good decision. It would be silly when you've got 21 players to say: 'This is my best team.' I can remember games when we played with certain players and I thought: 'It would have been better to start with somebody else.' And the next week it was different. That is football. You have to work hard and have a good mentality, that's important."

Zamora, who is a regular in Fabio Capello's England squad, has previously been Fulham's main striker when fit. But asked if the 30-year-old was happy now competing with Johnson, Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembélé, Jol said: "You don't know all the team formations. There are a lot of other players – [Eidur] Gudjohnsen, [Zoltan] Gera and [Diomansy] Kamara – and I don't think you could say: 'That was our strike force'

"How many times did Bobby play with Andy Johnson in the last three or four years? Six or seven times. Even if you would like to start with a certain forward line you have to change it week by week, almost. Bobby is fit to be in the squad [against United] so we will make a decision on the team tonight."

Regarding whether there is a problem between him and Zamora after he had previously been left out of the squad that played at Swansea City on 10 December Jol said: "There is no rift. Bobby is Bobby and he'll always have that. He was fine yesterday, he trained yesterday with all the players who didn't start [on Saturday], including Aaron Hughes. Today, everybody was there so we played a team tactical session, 11 v 11. It's the same group but the other group who started against Bolton joined. He was involved. The only time he was not involved is if he's got an injury. Then we exclude him."

Jol said he does not think Zamora may move on in next month's transfer window. "I'm not concerned. For me it's not a big problem. I'm only concerned that this sort of thing is coming up all the time [in the media]. I don't know but for me there is no problem."

Fulham have enjoyed a good record against United at Craven Cottage in recent years. "We had a 3-0 win [in December 2009] and a 2-2 draw [last season] so we seem to do well against them," said Jol, who did not mention a 2-0 win in March 2009. "I think it could be coincidence but it could be our style as well."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/20/fulham-martin-jol-bobby-zamora?

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Martin Jol denies rift with Bobby Zamora ahead of Manchester United clash
Martin Jol has denied any rift with Bobby Zamora but admitted that the England forward cannot be sure of a place in Fulham's starting team even when he is fully fit.

Back in contention: Bobby Zamora trains with the Fulham squad having recovered from injury
Photo: REUTERS

Zamora is available for Wednesday's match against Manchester United But Jol would not guarantee that he will play, instead emphasising his range of attacking options and how the team had been working on combinations involving Clint Dempsey, Moussa Dembele and Bryan Ruiz.

Jol described Zamora as "more of a target man" but did say that he wants to keep the entire Fulham squad together until at least the end of the season. It is understood that Sunderland and Queens Park Rangers are among the clubs monitoring Zamora's situation.

A major concern for Zamora will be the need for regular football as he tries to secure a place in England's Euro 2012 squad.

Zamora trained on Monday with others, including Aaron Hughes, Steve Sidwell and Damien Duff, who did not feature in Saturday's 2-0 win over Bolton Wanderers, with Jol insisting that did not amount to a gathering of reserves. The full first-team squad, including Zamora, trained together on Tuesday in a tactical session involving 11 against 11.

"The first team, I've got a big group, say 24 players," said Jol. "Eleven players are starting every match. We had a rest group of 13 players. That is not my reserves. It is the first team and they need training, they need loading. The other group is doing a recovery session. He [Zamora] was involved. The only time he was not involved is if he's got an injury."

Asked if Zamora would make his best team, Jol said: "Bobby would have started the last match but he wasn't fit so I had to play Andy Johnson. It would be silly when you've got 24 players to say, 'this is my best team'. If you work hard and have a good mentality that's important.

"Even if you would like to start with a certain forward line you have to change it week by week almost. Bobby is fit to be in the squad."

Of his own relationship with Zamora and the suggestion that the striker might leave next month, Jol said: "There is no rift. I want to keep the players we've got. I'm happy with my squad."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8969293/Fulham-manager-Martin-Jol-denies-rift-with-Bobby-Zamora-ahead-of-Manchester-United-clash.html

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL TIPS STAR BRYAN RUIZ TO DAZZLE MANCHESTER UNITED

BRYAN RUIZ can use the visit of Manchester United tonight to showcase his extraordinary talent.

Fulham's £10 million Costa Rican, a star in Dutch football last season before moving to Craven Cottage, has started to win a reputation in the Premier League for extravagant ability and outrageous goals.

He chipped a superb second for Fulham against bottom-club Bolton on Saturday and now gets the chance to show what he can do against the reigning champions.

Ruiz can play wide or tuck inside, like Juan Mata of Chelsea, and can become as indispensable to Martin Jol as his American striker Clint Dempsey, now an automatic choice up front.

Jol said: "If Ruiz can do for us what he did in Europe, he can make a big difference to us. He is fitting into the side now, getting better because he is fitter.

"When he first joined us he was injured and so was disappointed he could not show just how good he is. Then he got hurt again.

"In the past he has scored some fantastic goals, but because he wasn't fit I couldn't expect him to do the business from the start.

"He cares about his performances and you have seen what he can do. But firstly we need to keep him fit, for then if a player can work hard for the team it is easier for him to fit into the team's style."

It means extra competition for the place up front and, if Ruiz can deliver, it will leave Bobby Zamora, wanted by QPR, and Andy Johnson even more in the cold.

Jol predicted Dempsey will score 20 goals, saying: "He could reach that target if he were selfish enough."

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/291176/Martin-Jol-tips-star-Bryan-Ruiz-to-dazzle-Manchester-United?

WhiteJC

Jol - Ruiz is getting better
Fulham attacker starting to show his worth following summer move

Bryan Ruiz: Fulham attacker is starting to display his true worth after a difficult settling-in period

Martin Jol is confident Bryan Ruiz will become an important player for Fulham now that the attacker has been building up his fitness.

The Costa Rica international has taken time to adapt to the demands of the Premier League since his £10.6million move from FC Twente in the summer.

However, the 26-year-old is now beginning to demonstrate his ability and scored an exquisite goal in Fulham's 2-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers last weekend.

"Ruiz will be an important player for us," said Fulham boss Jol ahead of Wednesday night's match with Manchester United.
Make the difference

"If you talk about the season after next season it would be a bit late. Hopefully he can show his productivity in the next couple of months.

"I think he's got the same [skill] as [Moussa] Dembele, but I won't say that he's a crowd pleaser because I don't think that they care about pleasing the crowd.

"I think he will please himself if he plays well and he knows that he can play well.

"He was very disappointed that he couldn't show that in the first couple of months here but he's happy that he is here and he can show the people.

"For me it's important if you look at his fitness. We make assessments every week and he's getting better and better and he's in the top three with his stats so that is good for him.

"Hopefully he can stay fit because that is the main thing. If a player is fit he can work for the team and he can make the difference."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7389749/?

WhiteJC

Win tickets to see Chelsea or Fulham in the FA Cup third round
Goal.com are giving you the chance to see either the Blues play at home to Portsmouth or Fulham host Charlton. Just answer the question below and you could win two tickets

We've teamed up with Budweiser, lead partner for The FA Cup, to give football fans the
chance to win third round FA Cup tickets. We have a pair of tickets available for each of the two ties taking place on the weekend of January 7/8:

Chelsea v Portsmouth
Fulham v Charlton

To be in with a chance of winning, simply email your answer to the following question to
[email protected] along with your name, age, postal address, contact telephone number and match choice:

Which of these players has played for both Chelsea and Fulham?

a) Damien Duff
b) Didier Drogba
c) Danny Murphy

Competition closes at 12pm on 3 January 2012

Competition is open to over 18s and UK residents only

For further information about The FA Cup with Budweiser and chances to win more
tickets and official FA Cup match balls visit www.facebook.com/budweiseruk

www.drinkaware.co.uk

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2011/12/21/2812290/win-tickets-to-see-chelsea-or-fulham-in-the-fa-cup-third?

WhiteJC

Duo still out for Cottagers

Midfield duo Steve Sidwell and Simon Davies will miss Fulham's visit of Manchester United but Bobby Zamora should return to the fold.

Sidwell continues to miss out after a hernia operation and Davies has a back complaint, while goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and Zdenek Grygera are longer term absentees with respective spine and knee problems.

However, the return of 30-year-old England international striker, Zamora, will be a boost after he missed Saturday's 2-0 defeat of Bolton with a medial ligament injury in his left knee.

Zamora's anticipated involvement comes as speculation over his future at Craven Cottage intensifies following reports of a falling out between him and manager Martin Jol.

Jol again had to speak out to deny that the forward was forced to train with his reserve team earlier in the week and he is adamant that there is 'no rift'.

"No, there is no reserves yesterday (Monday) because we have a game today," Jol said.

"We always train with a rest group (those not involved in the match against Bolton) so Aaron Hughes was there, [Pajtim] Kasami, [Marcel] Gecov.

"All the players who were not involved in the game. That is the normal thing to give theme extra loading.

"I don't know what they are on about and it was not with the reserve team coaches.

"There is no rift, Bobby is Bobby.

"He was fine on Monday, he trained with all the players who didn't start.

"Those 14 did a session to load them, and he was fine."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/duo-still-out-for-cottagers-1357329.html?#.TvHRR5gcIds

WhiteJC

Sir Alex's respect for Jol

Sir Alex is a confirmed admirer of Martin Jol after trying to land the Fulham boss as his assistant manager.

The United chief pits his wits against the Dutchman on Wednesday night at Craven Cottage but, if things had panned out differently during the 2003/2004 season, Jol could easily have been on the Reds' bench instead.

"I knew Martin and actually spoke to him when Carlos Queiroz left the club," Sir Alex told MUTV's Matchday Live programme.

"I spoke to him about joining us as assistant manager. Whilst I was talking with him, I had a phone-call from Carlos and realised he wasn't happy at Real Madrid so I made moves to bring him back at the end of that season.

"It was unfortunate for Martin but it never stopped his career progressing. He did very well as a coach in Holland and then came to Tottenham. I think he's a terrific manager and his record is good. He's had great experience gathered at Hamburg and Ajax."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2011/Dec/sir-alex-ferguson-previews-fulham.aspx?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Manchester United: Can United Smash Their Cottage Hoodoo?

Craving a win at the Cottage to maintain the heat on Manchester City, United supporters traditionally savour a day out in SW6 despite an inauspicious record against Fulham.

Manchester United seek their first league win at Fulham since 2008, but despite a mixed record at Craven Cottage much joy can be had at the ground's quirks.

Craven Cottage may boast English football's most curious juxtaposition. It is not a stadium, but a ground, and it's one of the last bastions of proper football grounds in the over-sanitised Premier League. The walk through Fulham Palace Gardens and Bishop's Park past the Thames becomes a picturesque cacophony of boisterous supporters, heavily tanked up on lager. And then at the ground itself supporters are close to the pitch, players get changed in the cottage, and it is evident that this is a sanctuary which hasn't been plasticised. Yet.

And then there's the clincher: it's inhabited by detached modern football enthusiasts who've got no soul and sure as hell ain't a soldier. That's not to say the earthy supporters who followed Fulham prior to the marquee arrivals of Ray Wilkins and Kevin Keegan in the late 90s, which instigated the club's rise, don't attend. They're just vastly outnumbered by tourists and nu-fans who ensure that the match-going experience is sapped, rather than diluted.

I've visited the Cottage five times and witnessed United win once, draw once and lose twice, as well as attending Everton's scoreless draw last season with a Scouse mate. But not once can I recall any banter exchanged between visiting supporters and the mild-mannered ranks beside us. There's no chance of that with traveling Evertonians either, who astonishingly sit at away games despite boasting vast numbers.

The surreal scenario is augmented by the Putney Road End also hosting a neutral section, which epitomises Fulham's attitude towards football. Those who saw Alan Mullery's goal of the season against Leicester or witnessed George Best and Rodney Marsh's maverick displays have been pushed aside in favour of tourists. Via Seat Wave, you could buy a ticket for Wednesday night's game for £55, because it's Manchester United. Add postage and packaging and you're asked to stump up a grand total of £67. The £49 face value for an away supporter is steep enough.

Of course, people will buy them because that's what football has become. Craven Cottage does a fantastic impression of a rugby fixture because it encourages supporters – home, away and neutrals – to mix amidst a benign atmosphere. Mohamed Al-Fayed pronounced that those who loathe his tacky arcade bust of Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage 'can go to hell'. We'll see you there.

Last season after United snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat via Nani's tame penalty at 2-1 and Brede Hangeland's equaliser, we boozily began the one-and-a-half mile walk back to the car. What we were about to overhear was a growing motif of the Whites' support. Admittedly, the son's idiocy ('justice was done when Stockdale saved that penalty' – it was a penalty) triggered proceedings, to which my Old Man merely offered that he 'didn't agree'. Opinion made, yet the boy's mother countered that 'He shouldn't be walking on my Fulham footpath.'

Those sardonic "Thursday nights, Channel Five" efforts already have a retort in the guise of "Thursday night in Amsterdam".
How can you not bite at such a preposterous comment? Due to the alcohol-induced political incorrectness of what was said, I'll not divulge, but that is what Fulham is – a hive of Tarquins & Tamaras. And as a visitor, you're self-dependent on having a lark.

Irrespective of the curious case of the Cottagers and United's mixed record there lately, I've not had a bad day in West London. The atmosphere is always superb amongst Reds and the evening kick-off this year is an added bonus, on top of the guarantee that it is the second part to the Christmas jolly, after the weekend's raucous visit to Loftus Road for the first time in almost eight years.

Six days before Christmas in 2009 we were at Fulham, merry and armed with hip flasks (it had been snowing) and drinking early watching Liverpool get beat by Portsmouth 2-0. And then the match started. A defensively-decimated United lost 3-0 with a defence of Fletcher-De Laet-Carrick, with Patrice Evra on the wing and Fabio on the bench. Tinkerbell strikes! And still the traveling hordes hollered defiantly whereas the T&Ts maintained silence.

Expectations have been lowered in recent weeks and there's a determination to enjoy this season in spite of what the club has become under the Glazer family. Ideally, they'd like Old Trafford to resemble Fulham's touristic makeup, evidenced by the heinous half-and-half scarves sold and bought outside of Old Trafford.

Yet a resistance will always lurk, however dwindling it may be. United may go out to City at the first hurdle of the FA Cup, but the atmosphere will be electric, tickets will hopefully fall into the right hands and it's a rare occasion when the FA Cup feels special and important. The football too was excellent for a second successive week on Sunday.

The Europa League is a punishment, but the Reds have drawn Ajax and everyone is as keen to go to Amsterdam as Samuel L Jackson. Amusingly, those sardonic 'Thursday nights, Channel Five' efforts already have a retort in the guise of 'Thursday night in Amsterdam'. Stacey Giggs too would have been delighted to hear that her husband's terrace chant (to the tune of Joy Division's masterpiece) was rejigged to 'Giggs is going to Amsterdam'. Imagine Fulham fans in Amsterdam.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/fulham-v-manchester-united-can-united-smash-their-cottage-hoodoo/?

WhiteJC

REDS FACE TRICKY FULHAM TIE

Manchester United faces a stern test at Craven Cottage on Wednesday night, but this time it is a midfielder that Sir Alex Ferguson is lacking. Two seasons ago United's December fixture at Fulham ended in a disastrous 3-0 defeat after Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher were forced into emergency roles in United's back four. There is no such task facing Carrick and co. on Wednesday, but Ferguson is instead without a plethora of key central midfield players for the trip south.

In the second of a London double-header this week, United aims to keep pace with rivals Manchester City at the head of the Premier League. Ferguson's side briefly led the title race on Sunday and will return to first place in the unlikely event that the Blues slip to defeat against Stoke City, and United win at Craven Cottage. And while Ferguson will include fit-again Javier Hernández and Dimitar Berbatov in his squad, key players Anderson, Fletcher, Tom Cleverley and Nemanja Vidić miss the trip.

United won comfortably at Loftus Road on Saturday, and with Fulham's form mixed in recent week's Ferguson's men will be confident of securing a first Premier League victory at the Cottage since March 2008. Indeed, Ferguson may well select an unchanged side for the fixture. But it is the heavy defeat two years ago, in which Wayne Rooney saw red and United shipped three, that Carrick remembers vividly.

"I remember the game two years ago, though not that well!" says the Geordie midfielder, who has returned to form in recent weeks.

"It was just one of those situations: we had no defenders left so me and Fletch played at centre-half. "I'd played there for two or three matches before that and we'd won, but that was probably one game too many. It wasn't a great day for us.

"Fulham have had an up-and-down time this season, but they beat QPR 6-0 at their place and have had some other good results. We know they're a strong team: they're well organised and Craven Cottage is a tough place to visit, but it's a good, old-fashioned football ground and we look forward to going there."

Carrick will again provide the fulcrum around which Ferguson will build his central midfield. The Geordie has suffered intermittent form over the past two years, including two traumatising losses to Barcelona in the Champions League. But the 30-year-old's revival in recent weeks has provided some confidence at a time of severely depleted midfield resources.

While United is slowly coming through the rash of injuries in recent weeks, Ferguson has once again included youngsters Larnell Cole, Ezikiel Fryers and Ben Amos in the party. Federico Macheda also traveled south with the squad, although is still likely to leave on loan after the Christmas programme. Paul Pogba was seemingly left in Manchester despite encouraging words this week about the Frenchman's future at Old Trafford.

Patrice Evra will again captain United, having been vindicated late Tuesday night, when the Football Association handed down at eight-match ban to Luis Suarez for using abusive and racist language in United's fixture with Liverpool in September. With the weight now off his shoulders United fans will hope for better performances from the 30-year-old, whose form has dipped in recent months.
Meanwhile, former Fulham player Chris Smalling, who has impressed since a £12 million transfer to Old Trafford in 2010, returns to his old stomping ground, grateful for the break received in professional football. Four years ago Smalling was with semi-pro Mainstone United in the Isthmian League, before transferring to Fulham.

"I see my time there as a big two years," Smalling told ManUtd.com.
"My first year was about finding my feet and the second was about showcasing what I can do. Without Roy Hodgson giving me my chance there I wouldn't be here so it's a time I look upon fondly. It'll be nice to go back and see a few of the players and play back at the Cottage.

"The players always look forward to this time of year with plenty of games. We're used to the demands and it's a big opportunity to pick up a lot of points – we want to get maximum points. Christmas can be a hindrance on some and can sometimes make or break you in terms of kicking on, but this is a period where we really need to kick on and show everybody we mean business."

Meanwhile, Fulham manager Martin Jol welcomes back Bobby Zamora after the striker missed the win over Bolton Wanderers last weekend with injury. However, former Red Simon Davies will miss the game, as will Steve Sidwell, Zdenek Grygera and goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer. Jol's side has scored just 18 goals in 16 league matches this season – six in one match – highlighting the Zamora's importance.

Despite dropping out of the Champions League, and the Reds intermittent form since defeat to City in September, United's 39 points from 16 matches is five better that at the same point last season. Ferguson's side has won three additional games and scored more goals to boot. Few will bet against United adding to the tally on Wednesday.

Match Facts
Fulham versus Manchester United, Premier League, Craven Cottage, Wednesday 21 December 2011, 8pm.
Likely Line-ups
Fulham (4-4-2): Stockdale; Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, JA Riise; Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Dembele; Zamora, Ruiz. Subs from: Etheridge, Kelly, Hughes, Gecov, Duff, Frei, Sa, Johnson, Briggs, Somogyi, Kasami.

United (4-4-1-1): De Gea; Smalling, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Nani, Jones, Carrick, Young; Rooney; Welbeck. Subs from: Lindegaard, Fryers, Park, Pogba, Valencia, Cole, Diouf, Giggs, Macheda, Berbatov.

Form
Fulham: DLWLDW
United: DLWLWW

Performance stats
Rooney and Carrick were on target as United beat QPR 2-0 on Sunday at Loftus Road. Rooney's strike was his 12th goal of the season, a return from 66 efforts at goal;
Meanwhile, Carrick's goal was his first of the Premier League season, and came from an all-action performance in which the midfielder covered more ground than any other United player with 5.78 miles;
Despite United's upturn in results, Ferguson's side now has only two two players in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index' top twenty – Rooney and Nani;
Despite criticisms that he is no longer the player he once was, Rio Ferdinand has done more than any other United player defensively with 57 across tackles, blocks, interceptions and clearances. That's one every 17 minutes 59 seconds;
Carrick is the next United player in the ranks for most frequent defensive contributions with one every 18 minutes 38 seconds;

Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz scored within two minutes of each other to seal a 2-0 win over Bolton in Fulham's last Premier League outing;
Fulham out-ran Bolton with 62.18 miles to 61.48 in the game, with striker Bryain Ruiz covering the most ground with 6.4 miles followed by fellow scorer Demsey with 6.24 miles;
The pair were rewarded for a goal and an assist each in that game by moving up in the Index. Ruiz climbed 47 places and Dempsey 30;
Dempsey's goal was his fifth in the Premier League from 59 shots at goal, the fourth highest shots total of any player at one every 29 minutes 12 seconds.

Officials
Referee: Mark Halsey (Welwyn Garden City)
Assistants: R Ganfield, D C Richards
Fourth Official: P Walton

http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/latest/reds-face-tricky-fulham-tie/?

WhiteJC

MCLEISH'S STRIKER TARGET IS A NON STARTER

Aston Villa are looking to strengthen their forward line with a move for Fulham's Bobby Zamora, according to the Mirror.

Villa boss Alex McLeish is aware that he can't just rely on the goalscoring of current striker Darren Bent and has identified Zamora, 30, as a January target.

Fulham left Zamora out of the squad that fell to defeat at Swansea City over the weekend as speculation grows that manager Martin Jol isn't the player's biggest fan.

Zamora has scored five times in 22 outings for Fulham this season.

How likely is this to actually happen?  Zamora is a realist and has resisted making a move away from The Cottage up until now as he clearly knows he's at a club that suits him well. Fulham are having another unremarkable season, but it's difficult to see Bobby bailing.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/12/premiership/mcleishs-striker-target-is-a-non-starter?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29

WhiteJC

Bet on Bryan

Martin Jol's team host champions Manchester United at Craven Cottage tonight (KO 8pm) and our official online and in-stadia betting partner, Bet Butler, are offering odds of 5/1 for Fulham to claim maximum points this evening.

Fulham have enjoyed a great deal of success against Manchester United in SW6 in recent years, having claimed 7 points from their last three home League meetings against Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

Last weekend Fulham claimed maximum points against Bolton Wanderers at the Cottage, with Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz grabbing the goals. Both players are rated at 9/1 to score the opening goal of the game this evening.

Odds of 33/1 are available on Fulham achieving the same 2-0 scoreline from the 2008/09 season whilst a repeat of the Team's 3-0 victory from 2009/10 campaign is rated at 80/1.

For all the latest Fulham odds or to open an account with Bet Butler please visit our website at www.betbutler.co.uk and follow us on Twitter for all the latest Fulham betting news plus chances to win match day tickets and signed shirts @thebetbutler.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/BetButlerUnitedPreview.aspx?#ixzz1hAkbxN00