more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (21/12/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 21, 2011, 08:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Matchday Home Shirt Offer

Martin Jol's team take on the current Barclays Premier League champions, Manchester United, at Craven Cottage this evening and the Club are offering a superb matchday retail offer on the official FFC Home Shirt.

Supporters attending tonight's game will receive 20% off the Club's official Home Shirt before and after this evening's game in SW6.

Head down to the Club shop on the Fulham Road or visit the Stadium Store today and take advantage of Fulham's outstanding retail offer.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/December/ChristmasShirtOffer.aspx?#ixzz1hAlq3LFC

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Manchester United

Manchester United travel to Fulham on Wednesday evening, looking for a vital three points which will keep the pressure on league leaders Manchester City.

United were in West London as recently as Sunday, when they saw off Queens Park Rangers thanks to goals from Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick. It was one of the best attacking displays from the Reds for some time, and if United can maintain the fluidity and tempo that they played with on Sunday, then three points is within their reach.

The success at Loftus Road kept United's unbeaten away record intact with six wins from a possible eight. Draws at Stoke and Liverpool are the only blemishes on an impressive record, with the Red Devils only conceding three goals on their travels.

United take on Martin Jol's men in superb league form, having won six out of a possible seven games since derby day, with Newcastle being the only side to avoid defeat against the champions. Even then though, they were extremely fortunate to take anything from the game, after being awarded an extremely dubious penalty which Demba Ba converted.

Fulham head into Wednesday's encounter on the back of a routine home win over Bolton, with goals from Clint Dempsey and Bryan Ruiz securing a 2-0 victory. Prior to that, they had only lost once in four, with notable results against Arsenal and Liverpool, including a memorable 1-0 victory over the red half of Merseyside. American international Dempsey pounced on a Pepe Reina mistake to earn the Cottagers a shock win.

The Reds have endured some difficult times at Craven Cottage in recent seasons. Indeed, on their last three visits to West London, they have lost twice and drawn once, with a desperate 3-0 defeat the lowest point. Last season, United looked set return from the Cottage with all three points as Nani stood over a penalty in the 86th minute with the Reds 2-1 up. However, it was saved and in the 90th minute Brede Hangeland powered in a header to earn Fulham a 2-2 draw.

Team Selection Thoughts

Sir Alex Ferguson named an unchanged side on Sunday for the game at QPR, and it will be interesting to see whether he sticks with a winning formula or decides to freshen things up, bearing in mind the amount of games in the coming weeks.

David De Gea has looked more assured and settled between the sticks recently, although Anders Lindegaard could be handed a start for rotational purposes.

The back four is likely to be the same as Sunday, with Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans in the centre of defence. Ferdinand was in brilliant form against the R's, stepping out of the defence with the ball, and making perfectly timed interceptions. With Nemanja Vidic out, Ferdinand's fitness will be central to any success United have this season. Chris Smalling, making a return to Craven Cottage should start at right back with Patrice Evra at left back. The Frenchman was out of sorts in the first half, but looked more assured in the second, as the Reds eased to victory.

In midfield, the pairing of Carrick and Jones looks more and more dynamic every time they play together, culminating in a dominant display at the weekend. Carrick's positional sense discipline allows Jones to maraud forward, and the former Blackburn star would have scored had it not been for the post and Radek Cerny. Carrick netted for the first time in 70 games and has improved no end this season, going some way to quell cries for a new midfielder in January.

On the wings, Nani and Antonio Valencia should keep starting berths, after the pair terrorised QPR's fullbacks all game long. Valencia is starting to return to the form which saw him and Wayne Rooney strike up a devastating partnership in his first season, and the Ecuadorian added another assist to the three he provided against Wolves, clipping in a perfect cross for Rooney to glance home.

The Red Devils have been boosted by the return of Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez, giving United's attack a much more potent look. Wayne Rooney played magnificently on Sunday and the question is who will partner him. Danny Welbeck's movement caused problems for the opposition at the weekend and Ferguson may opt to go with him again on Wednesday night, safe in the knowledge that Berbatov and Hernandez can step off the bench if things aren't going to plan.

Opposition View

Here, at Stretford End Arising we spoke to members of Friends Of Fulham and asked their thoughts on the upcoming game and more:

Wednesday's Match

Man United have taken one point at Fulham in the last three seasons. I think that we will take a point on Wednesday. Although Jol likes his 4-2-3-1 and Johnson led it beautifully Saturday, I think he may bring Zamora in, since the matchups favour us with our big guy in there. I would love it if he played a 4-2-2 with Johnson and Zamora. The last time he did we put six past QPR. I think Jol will be looking to exploit the fact that you have England's centre back pairing for the next 5-8 years playing at right back and centre mid. United are weakened at centre back with injuries, but I appreciate that your other choices at centre midfield and right back are not as good.

2011-12 Season

I think Fulham have underperformed — especially in front of goal. A few weeks ago, I would have turned cartwheels if promised 16th or 17th, but things are looking up. We have to take care of business better at the Cottage, and I'm looking for that to start on Wednesday. When we were 15th, Jol said we should finish in the top 10. After we beat Bolton, he said we could finish in the top SIX. I guess if we beat you guys on Wednesday, he'll be saying we can win SerieA and LaLiga at the same time. Me, I'll be happy with 10th and a trip to Wembley.

The Manager

I like Jol. He says what he means and often has a little joke (see. I hope Bobby likes me now). He is definitely the right manager for Fulham, but is currently having a bit of a power battle with certain players. He is the future, and the senior players are not, so no doubt he will come out on top. As for his brand of football – he is Dutch and likes to get the ball down. A more attacking version of Hodgson's style, which is gradually coming together.

Bryan Ruiz

Like any new foreign player, it has taken time for him to adapt to the Premier League, but slowly the performances are improving, there is no doubt that given the opportunity, he can finish and I think he will continue to improve, but feel we may have to wait a while longer to see his full ability. As to living up to expectation, I was not sure what to expect, but £10.5m IS a lot for us to spend on one player, so hopefully he becomes the player Jol believes he is and does not turn out to be another Marlet, which on current form is most unlikely.

Moussa Dembele

Unfortunately Fulham will struggle to keep hold of Dembele. He will be gone in the summer, probably to spurs where he will become one of the best players in the league. I would love to get him to sign a contract extension, but with him making eyes at Spurs, we have no chance. Hopefully we will get £10m+ for him, because he is really worth it.

Youth Prospects

Kerim Frei is very talented and ready to step into Dembele's shoes when he goes. That he has overtaken Duff in terms of preference speaks volumes about his ability. Briggs at left back is also a prospect, although his defending could do with some work. We have quite a few youngsters who are looking good below the first team so will be interesting to see if they break through.

Michael Jackson Statue

The initial reaction to the statue was bit like a bereavement. At first, disbelief. Then anger. Then resignation.

But even with the statue, our Chairman has been brilliant for this club, and if he wants a weird action figure in a corner of the ground, why not? We label our funny-peculiar, believe-it-or-not history "Fulhamish". The statue isn't Fulham, but it is very Fulhamish.

Three Key Battles

Brede Hangeland vs. Wayne Rooney

Since Rooney scored his first goal for eight games against Wolves, he has looked more threatening, purposeful and energetic. The striker was involved in everything against QPR and caused their defence problems all game. On Wednesday night, Hangeland will have his work cut out to stop Rooney, as he often drops deep and creates the problem of whether to follow him or not. If Rooney can get on the ball and create openings then United can expect goals.

Clint Dempsey vs. Phil Jones

Dempsey is Fulham's highest scorer this season, and like Rooney, he will drop off into space and look to thread balls through for the likes of Johnson and Ruiz. Jones will have to be wary of this threat and although he likes to drive forward, neglecting his defensive duties, will allow Fulham to pose problems. Dempsey is also great in the air, so Ferdinand and Evans will have to watch his runs from deep.

Antonio Valencia vs. John Arne Riise

Valencia carried on his good form on Sunday after making three goals against Wolves, and if selected, will be key in the Red Devils creating chances. His pace and directness will ensure Riise can't get forward and leave the wing exposed, otherwise Valencia will profit. Should United get the ball wide early, then Valencia can take Riise on and whip dangerous balls in for Rooney and others, who will be benefit from the Ecuadorian's quality.

Summary

Fulham at Craven Cottage has always proved a tricky fixture down the years and I expect Wednesday night to be no different. The pitch is cramped and the fans are right on top of the players, creating a unique atmosphere. However, United have been playing with freedom and pace recently, and I expect them to win, albeit narrowly.

http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011/12/21/match-preview-fulham-vs-manchester-united/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+StretfordEndArisingcom+%28Stretford+End+Arising+-+Blog%29

WhiteJC

Redknapp admits admiration for Fulham star

Harry Redknapp has distanced himself from a bid for Nikolay Mihaylov - but admits he was keen on Bryan Ruiz before Fulham snapped him up.

Spurs have been linked with a move for Twente goalkeeper Mihaylov, who is rated as one of the best goalkeeping prospects in Holland.

The 23-year-old is said to be open to a move to England but Redknapp says he is not as keen as others suggest.

Intriguingly, Redknapp also claims he was in for Ruiz, having made a trip to watch him in action last season while he was at Twente.

"I don't know the lad (Mihaylov) but we played against him in the Champions League last year," said Redknapp. "I went out to watch Twente last season but it was Bryan Ruiz I was interested in."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1395/91/redknapp-admits-admiration-fulham-star?

WhiteJC

Fulham year in review 2011: Mark Hughes walks out, Martin Jol arrives and an ongoing battle to avoid the drop
Fulham's year in review for 2011 when Mark Hughes walked out after just 12 months in charge, Martin Jol replaced him and the club struggled to drag themselves away from the relegation zone.

How will 2011 be remembered by Fulham?
It started with fears of relegation...and ended with fears of relegation. Fulham, in between, achieved a high enough league position – 8th - to make it into Europe. It's a funny old game.

They also changed managers with Mark Hughes walking out after deciding to exploit and escape clause in his contract and worrying about the club's ambition and his successor Martin Jol (who Fulham wanted before they appointed Jol in the first place) then being given more than £10m to spend on striker Bryan Ruiz. A strange sequence of events.

Hughes is a good manager and his departure was a huge blow but there his concern that, like Chelsea, Fulham were dependent on a core of thirty-somethings that he feared he wouldn't have the money to replace them. He also knew that he was close to losing his job in January – an away victory at Stoke was vital – and didn't want a repeat of that.

Club owner Mohamed Fayed is a huge admirer of Jol but he has had his problems with some players while trying to alter the style of play and bring in fresh blood.

Fulham are now out of Europe which may be a relief to Jol – and a frustration to Fayed – and should climb the table again.

Supporters were furious with Hughes and also suspected he wouldn't stick around for long but there have been concerns over Jol with whispers that he is not the most organised of managers.

Still Fulham are far too good to go down which is a testimony to Fayed, chief executive Alistair McIntosh – who runs a tight ship – and both Hughes and Jol and also, of course, the legacy left by Roy Hodgson.

Highlights
• There have been some great displays but probably the 4-0 humiliation of Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup.
Lowlights
• Mark Hughes walk-out was a huge blow but Fulham had Martin Jol conveniently waiting in the wings

Hero: Clint Dempsey
One of the most under-rated players in the Premier League and also one of the most exciting.

Villain: Mark Hughes
One of the best managers Fulham have ever had which is why his departure upset fans so much

What does 2012 hold?
Another year of consolidation for Fulham who will be desperate to preserve their Premier League status and, in truth, should do so comfortably. They are strong enough and have a huge attacking threat. Mohamed Fayed craves another cup run so the FA Cup will be important to him and there is pressure on Martin Jol to push for honours even if Fulham to realise they are punching above their weight.

It's time to finally find a long-term replacement for Danny Murphy, and that will become a priority, while it's likely that Andrew Johnson and Bobby Zamora will go with the latter having fallen out with Jol.

That will be another big test for Fulham as Zamora has been their talisman for the past three years and is hugely important.

The club has ambitious plans to revamp and expand its Craven Cottage home and will be desperate to stay in the top-flight to make sure that is possible. There is also the financial pressure to try and drive up income – but then, having sold Harrods, Fayed is no longer thinking about selling Fulham.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8970062/Fulham-year-in-review-2011-Mark-Hughes-walks-out-Martin-Jol-arrives-and-an-ongoing-battle-to-avoid-the-drop.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham star knows it will be a tough task against Manchester United

Mark Schwarzer appreciates the challenge ahead of the Whites

Fulham star Mark Schwarzer knows his team-mates face a tough task against Manchester United tonight.

The Whites surprised everyone by beating the Red Devils 3-0 last season but the Australian goalkeeper knows it will be difficult to repeat.

"We know how good United are," Schwarzer said. "They're a very good side and nothing can be taken for granted tonight.

"You've got to be on your best when you're playing against them as we were against Liverpool a couple of weeks ago"

Schwarzer is currently sidelined with a back injury and revealed that he leaves understudy David Stockdale to do his own thing in the build up to a game.

"David Stockdale has been around for a while now. He has his own routine and I let him get on with it," he added.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_knows_it_will_be_a_tough_task_against_manchester_united_1_1159358?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Manchester United Match Preview: It Could Be Trouble At The Cottage

Manchester United will be looking to end 2011 on a high-note by winning their final Premier League game at Craven Cottage tonight against Martin Jol's tricky Fulham side.

Whilst the media and virtually every football fan in the country made a big deal (and rightly so) about United crashing out of the Champions League, it's almost been forgotten that Fulham had a European exit of their own this month.

Fulham of course had a great run in the Europa League two seasons ago when they reached the final of the competition in Hamburg falling to defeat in extra time to a Athletico Madrid side featuring David De Gea and old United star Diego Forlan.

Despite being 2-0 up at home against Odense with 36 minutes to go in their final group match which they needed to win to go through, the Danes fought back and got an equaliser in the last minute cruelly sending Jol's side out in disappointing fashion.

So what can we expect from the game. What will be the key battles on the pitch?

Jonny Evans v Bobby Zamora

After failing to convince up front for England against Sweden on his second appearance for his country, Bobby Zamora really does need to impress Fabio Capello against the top sides if he is to have any chance of breaking into his Euro 2012 squad.

On his day the former Spurs forward has the pace, power and strength to hurt United. It will be a big test for Jonny Evans to keep him quiet but after a good showing for the youngster against QPR he'll go into the game in confident mood.

Michael Carrick v Danny Murphy

It's been some turn around for Michael Carrick who at the start of the season couldn't get a look-in to United's starting line-up. Due to midfield injuries he's grabbed his chance and has put in some excellent performances as of late.

Danny Murphy may have lost what pace he had over the last 18 months, but he is still a big-game player for Fulham. The man who has hit three Premier League winners against United cannot be written off and has the vision to break open any defence.

Nani v Jon Arne Riise

Utter the name Jon Arne Riise to a United fan and they instantly recall the Norwegian's scorching 25-yard free-kick for Liverpool that flew past Fabien Barthez at Anfield that sent United's arch rivals on their way to a 3-1 win back in November 2001

The full-back's looked in good form since returning to England after three years in Italy with Roma but is not as quick as he used to be and that should play into the hands of Nani who looks to be returning back to the scintillating form he was in at the start of the season.

---

In terms of a prediction for the game tonight, as I stated earlier on in a predictions article, at the start of the month, I believe it will be a tough game for United and can see the game ending in a 1-1 draw which would be a tremendous point for Jol's side to see the year out on.

Fulham are a tricky side to beat at Craven Cottage and with their record of playing well against United at home, it may be a frustrating evening for United who could end the night four points behind Manchester City who it should be noted drew at Fulham earlier in the season.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2011/12/21/fulham-v-manchester-united-match-preview-it-could-be-trouble.html

WhiteJC

Fulham rival Galatasaray for Manchester United striker Berbatov

According to reports Fulham are chasing Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The Sun claims ex-Tottenham Hotspur boss Martin Jol is keen to hook up again with his former hitman at White Hart Lane.

The 30-year-old's only goals came at Aldershot in the Carling Cup and against Benfica in the Champions League, leaving Fergie a big decision to make.

Fulham have enquired about taking the Bulgarian to Craven Cottage on loan.

However, it seems Turkish outfit Galatasaray are also keen.

The Bulgarian will be a free agent in May but United have the option of extending his contract.

http://www.click-manchester.com/sport/manchester-united/1214957-fulham-rival-galatasaray-for-manchester-united-striker-berbatov.html?