watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Landon Donovan Not getting his loan extended

Started by finnster01, March 05, 2010, 10:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

I'll put my cards on the table and state straight out that I thought LD was an over-rated, fizzy-league-at-best, egotistical loud-mouth when he first came to the Toffees.
Unfortunately, my opinion about him being over-rated still stands as far as the US media is concerned, but my opinion of his abilities has changed in the last 10 weeks.

I have seen his games for Everton (I love to prove myself right when watching these games), and found my own belief in his ability very wanting. He has shown the English football fans he HAS the ability to survive in the toughest domestic league in the world, and I applaud him for that.

Now down to the discussion about his loan spell ending. I understand that loan contracts are contracts, and they have to be abided by in most circumstances, but I also believe the MLS have the need to produce and provide players for the US push at this years WC.

The best place LD could be for the next 2 months is at Everton. Not only will he get great coaching, but he will get more experience playing against the same players he will meet in SA.  I believe the MLS have the power to extend this but, as per my usual thoughts of the MLS suits, they have little interest in the USMNT doing well compared to holding onto and controlling their own assets. It's unfortunate that LDs coach is Arena as well, as BA has little reason to fight for Bradley's men to be best prepared, following his dismissal after the 2006 WC.

HatterDon

Quote from: Logicalman on March 15, 2010, 09:46:35 AM
I'll put my cards on the table and state straight out that I thought LD was an over-rated, fizzy-league-at-best, egotistical loud-mouth when he first came to the Toffees.
Unfortunately, my opinion about him being over-rated still stands as far as the US media is concerned, but my opinion of his abilities has changed in the last 10 weeks.

I have seen his games for Everton (I love to prove myself right when watching these games), and found my own belief in his ability very wanting. He has shown the English football fans he HAS the ability to survive in the toughest domestic league in the world, and I applaud him for that.

Now down to the discussion about his loan spell ending. I understand that loan contracts are contracts, and they have to be abided by in most circumstances, but I also believe the MLS have the need to produce and provide players for the US push at this years WC.

The best place LD could be for the next 2 months is at Everton. Not only will he get great coaching, but he will get more experience playing against the same players he will meet in SA.  I believe the MLS have the power to extend this but, as per my usual thoughts of the MLS suits, they have little interest in the USMNT doing well compared to holding onto and controlling their own assets. It's unfortunate that LDs coach is Arena as well, as BA has little reason to fight for Bradley's men to be best prepared, following his dismissal after the 2006 WC.

Well, I have a couple of quibbles to that heart-rending and heart-warming mea culpa, Mr. Logicalman.

1. How can Donovan be "over-rated by American fans?" Those folks rate him as the best player in MLS and the best American player currently. There's sound arguments in favor of both those positions, as well as some sound points counter to that. It's not unreasonable, however. I don't know any Americans who believe that Donovan is as good as -- or better than -- Messi or Rooney or Ronaldihno. THAT would be over-rated. The whole "Americans over-rate Donovan" thing came about as the result of the "in the know" certainty that he was a three-time failure in Germany and couldn't play in Europe. Our own Licker Bill was certain that Donovan's impact at Everton would be as a sub on two or three occasions.

2. There is no way that Arena would do anything to damage the US chances in WC2010. It certainly does nobody associated with the MLS [which wouldn't exist without the WC tournement] or with the Galaxy any good for the US to perform poorly in South Africa [which we will] and have it be the fault of the MLS [which it won't].
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

Quote from: HatterDon on March 15, 2010, 01:58:26 PM

Well, I have a couple of quibbles to that heart-rending and heart-warming mea culpa, Mr. Logicalman.

1. How can Donovan be "over-rated by American fans?" Those folks rate him as the best player in MLS and the best American player currently. There's sound arguments in favor of both those positions, as well as some sound points counter to that. It's not unreasonable, however. I don't know any Americans who believe that Donovan is as good as -- or better than -- Messi or Rooney or Ronaldihno. THAT would be over-rated. The whole "Americans over-rate Donovan" thing came about as the result of the "in the know" certainty that he was a three-time failure in Germany and couldn't play in Europe. Our own Licker Bill was certain that Donovan's impact at Everton would be as a sub on two or three occasions.

2. There is no way that Arena would do anything to damage the US chances in WC2010. It certainly does nobody associated with the MLS [which wouldn't exist without the WC tournement] or with the Galaxy any good for the US to perform poorly in South Africa [which we will] and have it be the fault of the MLS [which it won't].

Good point made Mr D.
The problem, as I see it, is that the over-rated tag is applied because the American fans believe he is the best MLS player, and as such, believe he is thus a world class player, with the ability to play anywhere and succeed. As I admitted, he has made much more of an impact at Everton than I would have believed, and that, perhaps, has justified some of the expectations about him, but this hype about him being so good, doesn't do a player that good. There are so many examples, in the English game, of the same thing happening to players. One's that get called up for the national team, and suddenly believe they ARE the bees knees and are worth a lot more than they truly are (even at Fulham). As you made the comparison to Messi & co, I would counter that there are a majority of MLS fans who would be unable to name a full team of current world cup players (outside of the MLS players), and as such, those that are dedicated to the sport only understand the true standing of Donovan on the world stage.

Again, for the second point, I would argue a simple fact: Where would world cup preparations be better for the USMNT players? MLS or Prem? Ignoring the contractual side of things, where would Donovan be better to play his football in the run up to the World Cup? I would argue that the English Prem would be the best place, for two main reasons: 1. The standard of play is much higher than in the MLS and 2. He will be playing against some of the players he is likely to meet in the world cup, and playing against them is vastly better than watching videos of them.
Therefore, I would conclude that he is better off playing the remaining 2 months or so, in the Prem, but the MLS and Arena are adamant that he returns this week to a league that may, or may not, actually kick off on time. At the very least they could have extended his loan until they actually KNEW there was a league to play, but no, rules are rules, contracts are contracts, and it doesn't really matter what's best for the National Team overall.

As said, that's my personal opinion, and everyone will have their own.

HatterDon

Oh, I fully agree that for the benefit of the USMNT it would be best for Donovan to stay in England. I'm trying real hard, however, and I can't think of any other USMNT hopeful who could start in the Prem that doesn't already have a starting gig elsewhere in Europe -- and that only takes in Michael Bradley and Steve Cherundolo. It would NOT, however, be the best thing for the MLS or for The Galaxy for Donovan to stay, and they're the ones paying his salary.

I think Donovan made a significant mistake signing that four year contract. Like most American soccer fans who are aware of the world game, I thought he limited himself needlessly in becoming the quintessential big fish in a small pond. I DO believe, however, that he's best suited to La Liga. Having said that, I don't know if there's any other Premiership manager who could have gotten as much out of Donovan as did Moyes. Over the years, the only other Premiership manager who had enough faith in American players to give them a significant role in his side right at the beginning of their tenure was Cookie Coleman. Must be a gaelic thing.

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on March 17, 2010, 01:55:20 PM
Oh, I fully agree that for the benefit of the USMNT it would be best for Donovan to stay in England. I'm trying real hard, however, and I can't think of any other USMNT hopeful who could start in the Prem that doesn't already have a starting gig elsewhere in Europe -- and that only takes in Michael Bradley and Steve Cherundolo. It would NOT, however, be the best thing for the MLS or for The Galaxy for Donovan to stay, and they're the ones paying his salary.

I think Donovan made a significant mistake signing that four year contract. Like most American soccer fans who are aware of the world game, I thought he limited himself needlessly in becoming the quintessential big fish in a small pond. I DO believe, however, that he's best suited to La Liga. Having said that, I don't know if there's any other Premiership manager who could have gotten as much out of Donovan as did Moyes. Over the years, the only other Premiership manager who had enough faith in American players to give them a significant role in his side right at the beginning of their tenure was Cookie Coleman. Must be a gaelic thing.
Mr Hatter,

You do know we need a bit of creativity to take over from the smurph. Looks like Landon wouldn't be such an outlandish replacement if you ask me...

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on March 17, 2010, 02:08:05 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on March 17, 2010, 01:55:20 PM

Mr Hatter,

You do know we need a bit of creativity to take over from the smurph. Looks like Landon wouldn't be such an outlandish replacement if you ask me...

I'm certainly not going to disagree with you, but I am NEVER going to suggest that on any Fulham site. Whenever any of us suggests an American player it results in a cascade of posts trashing us. Since nothing we can say can affect anyone's thinking -- including the board's -- we just give up.

I will say that his performance @ Everton and his long-term contract means that we're never going to be able to afford him. The time to have made the move for him or for Gladbach's Michael Bradley was LAST summer.

Ag

Landon's more of a wing player, imo.  I don't think he's big enough or physical enough to play central mid for Roy's Fulham.  Plus you somewhat negate one of his better assets, his pace.

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on March 17, 2010, 02:08:05 PM
Mr Hatter,

Not too sure he would replace Smurf's position, more likely Geras in my mind.