watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (18.03.10)

Started by White Noise, March 17, 2010, 09:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/03/17/i-won-t-get-sent-off-like-didier-drogba-vows-fulham-frontman-bobby-zamora-82029-26055776/

I won't get sent-off like Didier Drogba, vows Fulham frontman Bobby Zamora

Mar 17 2010

By Jacob Murtagh

BOBBY Zamora insists he won't rise to the Italian bait like Chelsea's Didier Drogba.

The Blues striker saw red for a clash with Thiago Motta as they crashed out of the Champions League to Inter Milan on Wednesday night.

But Fulham frontman Zamora insists he won't crack under pressure as the Whites attempt to overturn a 3-1 deficit in tomorrow night's Europa League last-16 showdown with Juventus.

He said: "The one thing I know is [Fabio] Cannavaro doesn't want to run the channels. He's a bit older now, and wants to fight, pull and push you.

"Italian defenders are very hands-on, which you saw in the Chelsea v Inter game. The closest thing to playing against an Italian side is against Ricardo Carvalho.

"He's not overly strong or quick, but knows when to foul at the right times. They are very clever at it, it's an art in its own.

"I'm sure they'll be trying to frustrate us, but the gaffer has said to us to keep our head and stay calm."

White Noise

We Can Do It

Wednesday 17th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Roy Hodgson's Team return to the Cottage on Thursday night for their UEFA Europa League showdown with Juventus and as the players arrived for training on Wednesday morning, goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer spoke of his belief that Fulham can cause a major upset on home soil tomorrow night.

"The game is there to be won," said Schwarzer. "There's a lot to play for in the second leg. We know Juventus are a very good side and we'll have to be on top form if we're going to go through.

"It's all about having the self-belief that you can go and win the game. We're more than capable of doing that. The style of play and the type of pressure that we can apply at home is something that can work very much in our favour.

"It's our job now to make life very difficult for them and who knows, if we put them under enough pressure and perform well on the night, there's every chance that we can cause an upset."

Schwarzer believes the unique atmosphere that will undoubtedly be generated at the Cottage on Thursday night, married with a high octane performance on the pitch, could provide the recipe for success against Juventus, as the Australian international keeper explains.

"The Italian teams are not used to playing in this type of stadium, they're not used to the type of 'in-your-face' football and pressure that we can create - and also the support that we have at home. Hopefully it's all going to work to our advantage but we can't underestimate how good a side they are and the kind of quality players they have in their side.

"We've played them already, we know what to expect from them and we know about their players the qualities of those players. I think we showed them enough respect in the first leg. We need to go out there and play our game and try to go into the game with the most amount of confidence and get the result we need.

"Beating Juventus would be huge, not only for me personally but for the Club and most importantly, the fans. It's never happened before in the Club's history. I enjoy playing European football and I want to continue and I think that we're good enough to go further in the competition."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/SchwarzerJuveHomePreview.aspx#ixzz0iTLiBKCg

White Noise

Nothing To Lose

Fulham FC News

Fulham are faced with the task of overturning a 3-1 score at Craven Cottage on Thursday night in the UEFA Europa League and Roy Hodgson's Team will be hoping to capitalise on the experience gained almost a week ago in Turin, as Whites midfielder Simon Davies explained on Wednesday morning.   

"They [Juventus] were very organised, very strong defensively and they built from there really," said Davies. "They weren't afraid to knock the ball around the back four and they picked their moments to go forward. 

"It was still very disappointing for us to concede two goals from corners, which we don't normally concede. Obviously they're a top team and we were disappointed with how it went. We hope we can give a better showing on Thursday.

"We've looked at the game again; when you go away you expect to concede a little bit of possession. But Mark Schwarzer didn't have too much to do when we looked back on it. 

"The goals that we gave away really set us on the back foot and made everything look a lot worse than it actually was. The goal right before half-time was especially disappointing, that goal was really frustrating for all concerned. It took the wind out of our sails just as we were getting back into the game.

"When you go two-goals down away against a team like that, you're faced with an uphill task but we bounced back, got a fortunate goal and got back into the game. You could see the game was turning and we were coming more into it. It was a frustrating night all round but we've got another chance now and it's by no means above us to score two goals at home. We're all looking forward to it and we'll try and make it a memorable occasion."

Davies can unquestionably speak from experience when it comes to the subject of important Fulham games. Whilst the significance of Thursday evening's encounter cannot be understated, it's a far cry from those stress-filled scenes at Fratton Park on the final day of the season almost two years ago.

"That game against Portsmouth had so much riding on it," Davies said. "Defeat would have meant so much.  This is a game where it's all to play for and if we lose, we've had a great run in the cup and we can look back and be proud of our achievements. If we win it takes us to the next level and we'll be on the verge of something really special.

"In comparison we've got nothing to lose and we can concentrate on putting on a good performance. When the crowd is on song at the Cottage, they really get us going and any team will find it tough. We've managed to win a few games against the big boys at home over the past few years.

"Getting to the Quarter-Finals would be massive, from being nearly dead and buried in the league two years ago to being one game away from the Quarter-Finals of the Europa League is unbelievable."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/DaviesJuveHomePreview.aspx#ixzz0iTM25xQ7

White Noise

Ready For Juve

Photos from Fulham's Motspur Park Training Ground as the Whites prepare for Thursday's UEFA Europa League match against Juventus.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/Pre-JuventusTrainingPhotos.aspx

White Noise

Europa Team News

Fulham FC News 

Roy Hodgson confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that Fulham will be without a host of First Team players for Thursday night's Europa League clash with Juventus at the Cottage.

"We've got a lot of players missing," confirmed Hodgson. "Nine players are missing from the original First Team and 12 if we include the players that are training with us at the moment.

"The three major injuries and illnesses are Johnson, Pantsil and Elm. Murphy and Greening are suspended. Then we have Okaka, Andranik, Shorey, Milsom, Brown and Stoor unavailable because they weren't put on the original list back in September.

"Then we have Matthew Briggs unavailable because he was loaned out in January. Although he's a B list player he's not allowed to be put back on again.

"For a small squad like ours to be missing twelve players, who could possibly be taking part in the game is an awful lot, but luckily we've still got 18 players left who I hope can do the job for us."

After sustaining a chest injury against Manchester United last weekend, Brede Hangeland returned to training earlier than expected on Wednesday morning. However the defender will face a late fitness test ahead of Fulham's European showdown against Juventus, as Hodgson explained.

"Brede trained on Wednesday morning after taking a severe blow to his chest against Manchester United. He's recovered certainly much quicker than we expected but a decision will be made tomorrow [Thursday].

"On Thursday we'll see the reaction after today's training and what another 24 hours has done to allow the injury to settle. Luckily I have a very good player who can replace him in Chris Smalling, who is another top class centre back."

Hangeland's fellow Norwegian international, Bjorn Helge Riise, has certainly suffered his fair share of pain in recent days. The midfielder, who Hodgson described as an 'iron man' on Wednesday, is likely to make the bench on Thursday night despite spending the past few days in hospital.

"Bjorn Helge Riise trained for the first time today [Wednesday]. He was seriously ill. He was ill the day before the game against Juventus in Torino and spent two and a half days in hospital being fed intravenously.

"He's an iron man really, because to get out of the hospital yesterday morning and get treatment yesterday afternoon and then come in for training this morning, albeit a very light session, is very surprising.

"With our situation and shortage of players I'm sure he'll be on the bench. In a better world, with more players at my disposal, we wouldn't have chanced him on the bench. It's either him or a 16-year-old or 17-year-old no one has heard of, so his competition wasn't very great."

Although Hodgson will be without a host of First Team players on Thursday night, the Manager clearly believes his Team are capable of producing a performance that will merit the Club a berth in the Quarter-Finals of the UEFA Europa League.

"We've had a good few days now to recover, train and prepare so I think we'll be very lively on Thursday night. I think the players will be well prepared and very enthusiastic about the task they face.

"We've got to try and win the game but we've careful we don't open ourselves up too much to the counter attack. If you go a further goal down it makes the task much harder so it's a balancing act.

"If you look at the way we played, and the way they played, it was a pretty much even contest in Turin and that's what gives us the heart - if we can make it another even contest between the two teams maybe this time the great goal will be on our side and not their side."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/EuropaTeamNews.aspx#ixzz0iTSh1ltG

White Noise

Milsom Signs Extension

Fulham FC News

Fulham midfielder Robert Milsom has signed a one-year contract extension that will keep the player at the Club until June 2011.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/MilsomSignsExtension.aspx#ixzz0iTSw3yrT

White Noise

Fulham v Juventus

UEFA Europa League

Thursday 18 March

Kick-Off 18:00 GMT

Fulham take on Juventus Thursday 18th March (Kick-Off 6pm) and tickets for this UEFA Europa League home match are now SOLD OUT.

Your support on Thursday will be crucial in supporting Roy and the first team squad in their quest to reach the Quarter-Final of the competition.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/EuropaLast16Home.aspx#ixzz0iTTDEzLb

White Noise

Juventus Travel Advice

Fulham FC News

Fulham fans are reminded to leave plenty of time if they are coming to Thursday evening's game against Juventus at Craven Cottage.

With the match kicking-off at 6pm supporters are advised to allow additional travel time due to rush hour traffic. Furthermore, supporters are warned to expect heavier traffic and possible hold-ups around Putney Bridge, Putney High Street and Putney Bridge Road.

Tickets for this game have sold out and supporters collecting tickets on the day are reminded that the Craven Cottage Ticket Office will be open from 9am for collections.

To avoid congestion at the turnstiles and the possibility of missing any of the great action, supporters are kindly asked to arrive at the stadium one hour before kick-off on Thursday evening.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/JuventusArriveEarly.aspx#ixzz0iTTXsTkc

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/danny-murphy/article/4202/

Beckham injury leaves a huge hole

Tue Mar 16 04:45PM

David Beckham will be missed a lot at the World Cup. His presence and ability on the pitch will be missed but also he is a great character and an inspiration to many people off the pitch. From a football point of view, he always has the ability to turn the match in the big games. I feel really sorry for him.  I missed the 2002 World Cup myself through injury so I can understand to an extent.

To miss a World Cup because of injury is terrible. It is the one thing in my career I look back on and think 'What if?'. I've had some ups and downs and that was certainly one of the biggest downs. You start watching the tournament and you realise you should have been involved. You realise the importance of the competition to the nation and that you have missed out because of injury.

It is really difficult. You know maybe the next time it comes round you won't be able to go. I think Becks can take comfort from the fact that he has played three World Cups already and been fantastic so he has those memories. He has more caps than any outfield player and has contributed immensely over the years. To play consistently for your country as he did deserves huge credit. He has been brilliant in my eyes.

However, I think taking David to the World Cup as part of the staff, as has been suggested in the media, would be wrong. I think he is a player so once he is out of it through injury he should stay out and the other guys need to regroup and move on. The focus needs to remain on what is important, i.e. the games ahead. I think it would detract from the main focus. Even though he has great experience and he would help I think the media element alone would be very difficult to manage.

It will be a huge hole to try and fill. When it comes to thinking about who will go in his place, it will be difficult and I don't think someone will slot straight in. There are a few places in the squad in up for grabs as a result. I think Aaron Lennon, if he is fit and has played matches, could fit into the squad well.  I've played with him and against him many times and he can turn matches. He is a wonderful player but only if he can get fit.

Theo Walcott and Shaun Wright-Phillips are also in the mix. I think two of those three will definitely go. Maybe all three because Theo can play up front as well, but if there were injuries to any of those then I would look at someone like James Milner who is very versatile and can play in a number of positions.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/03/17/1836860/vincenzo-iaquinta-juventus-must-be-careful-against-fulham

Vincenzo Iaquinta: Juventus Must Be Careful Against Fulham

Iaquinta is hoping to enjoy a slice of Europa League action as he calls for attention...

By Salvatore Landolina

Mar 17, 2010 11:24:00 AM

Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta has taken a cautious approach to Thursday's clash against Fulham in the Europa League.

Finishing the job they started last week in Turin is the order from Alberto Zaccheroni, but Iaquinta knows Craven Cottage will be hard to conquer.

"We have to play with concentraction and caution. It will not be easy because they will throw everything into the box," he told Il Corriere Dello Sport.

"We cannot relax or play for a draw."

Iaquinta is ready to play in London, but following his long injury spell, coach Alberto Zaccheroni may have his doubts on whether to play him.

"I don't know if I will play as the coach has not said anything yet," he added.

"It's clear that, after so many months, I miss the pitch, but these stints that I have been playing helped me."

Juventus lead the tie 3-1 going into the Craven Cottage clash.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/18/fulham-juventus-bobby-zamora-europa-league

Bobby Zamora calls for calm as Fulham plan to oust Juventus

• Zamora prepared for Italians' strong-arm tactics

• Hodgson plays down talk of English superiority

David Hytner The Guardian, Thursday 18 March 2010

It is one thing to be prepared for the close attention of an Italian team's defenders but quite another to deal with it in the prickly heat of a European knockout tie. Ask Didier Drogba, the Chelsea striker, who was sent off against Internazionale on Tuesday night.

Bobby Zamora talked the talk yesterday, on the eve of one of Fulham's biggest matches – the second leg of the Europa League last-16 tie with Juventus, in which the Italians are 3-1 up from the first leg. The striker, though, must be cool if his team are to fashion another remarkable result under Roy Hodgson.

"Italian defenders are definitely more hands‑on," said Zamora, who will face the Juventus centre-half Fabio Cannavaro. "I'm sure you watched the Chelsea-Inter game the other night. It is exactly that. The closest thing we have in England to playing against an Italian side is probably when you play against [Chelsea's] Ricardo Carvalho. He's a very clever player, not overly strong or overly quick but he knows when to foul at the right times. I suppose they are very clever at it. A lot of their game is very tactical. It's an art form in itself."

Zamora first encountered Serie A opposition when he played for West Ham against Palermo in the Uefa Cup three seasons ago and this season Fulham played Roma in their group. Hodgson's team had three players sent off over the two games.

"I'm sure that Juve will be doing exactly the same to us as what Inter did to Chelsea, trying to frustrate us and kill time and so on," said Zamora. "But the gaffer has said that we've got to keep our heads, stay calm and get on to the referee if needed."

Fulham have made ripples across Europe with their progress this season. They put an end to Basle's unbeaten home run to emerge from a difficult group and in the first knockout round they beat the holders, Shakhtar Donetsk. In the Premier League they have beaten Manchester United and Liverpool, but Zamora said a win against Juventus might top the lot.

Juventus are, in terms of European games played, the most experienced team left in the Europa League while Fulham are the least. The London club have never made it so far in a European competition.

The fixture is set to renew the focus on Anglo-Italian rivalry. When Manchester United beat Milan 7‑2 on aggregate in the Champions League, it was held as evidence of the Premier League's superiority over Serie A. But Fiorentina beat Liverpool home and away in the group stage and Roma took four points from Fulham in the Europa League. Then there was Inter's stunning defeat of Chelsea.

"Why should the Inter result be a surprise?" asked Hodgson. "It bothers me that we are getting so enamoured with what we do here on this island that, all of a sudden, we believe we are invincible. The unfortunate thing when you start to compare leagues is that you compare the very top teams but what you never compare is, for example, Chievo against Sunderland. Maybe to really discuss how good a league is, you might have to start analysing some of those teams. I don't like glibness, it is very dangerous. For me, football is full of surprises."

Fulham (4-4-2, probable): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Davies, Baird, Etuhu, Gera; Dempsey, Zamora

Juventus (4-3-1-2, probable): Chimenti; Grygera, Zebina, Cannavaro, Grosso; Sissoko, Poulsen, Melo; Diego; Trezeguet, Del Piero

White Noise

http://www.juventus.com/site/eng/NEWS_newschampionsleague_FFED4325393441FBA87A8F5187730F3F.asp

17 March 2010

Fine-tuning at Craven Cottage

Juventus had their fine-tuning session at 19:00hrs at Craven Cottage, Fulham's stadium, a stadium of a capacity of 25,000 places, quoted by The Times in 2009 as one of the ten most beautiful stadiums in the world. At the start of the session Zaccheroni spoke to the team, before starting the session. The first part of the training saw the bianconeri busy with a handsball match, then a ix of hand work and footwork with great intensity on a reduced field. After athletic work, the second part of the session was mostly concentrated on tactics, with the coach busy ironing out the final details in view of tomorrow's match.

White Noise

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/163639/I-am-hungry-for-Italian-take-away-/

I AM HUNGRY FOR ITALIAN TAKE-AWAY 

Zamora has had perfect response to terrace critics this season

Thursday March 18,2010

By Frank Weichula 

BOBBY ZAMORA aims to turn world and European football aristocracy on its head tonight by toppling Juventus to achieve further self-vindication against the very Fulham fans who used to jeer him.

You could certainly forgive Fulham's 15-goal top scorer for milking the moment if he helps his team make history by overturning a 3-1 first-leg deficit and propelling Roy Hodgson's side into a European quarter-final for the first time.

Not only would Zamora have got the better of Italy's World Cup-winning captain and Juventus centre-back Fabio Cannavaro in this Europa League tie, he would have provided further compelling evidence of his quality and given the perfect answer to his critics.

Last season, Zamora was barracked by some Fulham fans after scoring just four goals, only two in the Premier League, in 41 matches overall - and was heckled by some supporters earlier this season before responding with his best top-flight goals return.

Zamora, whose form has seen him mentioned in possible England despatches, said: "I suppose there has been a bit of tit for tat. Some fans have given me a bit of abuse and I suppose I told them in a few terms. I've probably turned a few people and, I suppose, just rubbed their noses in it. It's nice to go out and score a goal and go out and enjoy it.

"They've had their go and I've had mine and we just have to move on. I've silenced the one or two people who have aimed it at me.

"Now it has been swept under the carpet and I'm just looking to continue to do well, scoring goals and try to push on with the club.

"My success isn't down to that [fans flak]. It's down to the hard work from the team itself and all the staff at the club. With strikers, when you do get one or two goals, it pushes you on.

"Last year was a tough season in terms of not scoring goals. But in terms of assists and setting people up for shots and putting people through one-on-one with goalkeepers, it was OK.

"A lot of people don't see that, they just see stats - games and goals - but there's so much more to football. Knowing that the guys, the gaffer and everybody was behind me, was a massive encouragement for me.

"Yes, I feel confident. If I don't score, I feel I can set somebody else up for a chance and that's my job."

Now the Fulham faithful sing Zamora's name with genuine affection instead of deprecation. And they will cheer him to the rafters if he can end his five-match goal drought and mastermind a dramatic triumph.

Fulham play just their 28th European match against the past masters of the Continent, who are preparing for an incredible 342nd Euro tie.

After the buffeting Chelsea striker Didier Drogba got from Inter Milan's defenders on Tuesday, which eventually led to his late dismissal for retaliating, Zamora is well aware of the challenge from Italy's most capped player, Cannavaro, 36, and co.

But he is confidence personified up against the former World Player of the Year. "I enjoyed the game out there in Italy, I thought I held the ball up very well," said Zamora.

"He [Cannavaro] doesn't want to be running in the channels; he's a bit older now, he wants to fight, he wants to pull, he wants to push you. So I'm sure I'll try and make him run in them channels and turn him the other way.

"Are Italian defenders more hands on? Definitely. The closest thing to playing against Italian sides is probably playing against Ricardo Carvalho of Chelsea. He's a very clever player, not overly strong or overly quick but knows when to foul at the right time.

"I suppose they are very clever at it. A lot of their game is very tactical, it's an art in its own. I'm sure they'll be doing exactly the same to us as what Inter did to Chelsea, trying to frustrate and kill time. But the gaffer has said to us that we've got to keep our heads, get on to the referee and make sure he knows they're trying to waste time and keep your eyes peeled."

Fulham (4-4-2) Probable: Schwarzer; Kelly, ­Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Duff, Baird, Etuhu, ­Davies; Dempsey; Zamora.

Kick-off: 6pm. TV: ESPN, 5:30pm.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6033709,00.html

Zamora accepts England fight

Fulham striker hails striking quality

Last updated: 18th March 2010   

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora accepts he is well down the pecking order for a place in Fabio Capello's England squad.

The Cottagers forward has enjoyed the most productive season of his career, bagging 15 goals to see calls from some quarters for him to be given a chance to shine on the international stage.

Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch, Emile Heskey and Jermain Defoe appear to be Capello's preferred quartet, with Carlton Cole and Gabriel Agbonlahor waiting in the wings.

Sunderland striker Darren Bent was given a chance in the friendly against Brazil, meaning Zamora knows the competition is fierce for an unlikely ticket on the plane to South Africa this summer.

List
Zamora said: "There are so many good English strikers.

"It would be lovely to (go to the World Cup), but there are a lot of good strikers and there are only a few places.

"He (Capello) has got his list and where I am in it I don't know, but at the minute it is not in there."

Zamora's current focus is on helping Fulham overturn their 3-1 first-leg deficit in their Europa League last-16 clash at Craven Cottage on Thursday night.

Huge game
A sell-out of over 25,000 will cheer the home side on and the forward is ready to deliver in what he admits will be one of the biggest games of his career.

"It would be massive if we went through," admitted Zamora.

"It's a huge game and we want to go further. We want to be at our best and winning that game will push us in the right direction.

"I suppose it is one of the biggest games of my life. There's so much riding on it and we are all desperate to perform."

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/8572063.stm

Fulham reject Maidstone cash plea over Chris Smalling 

Smalling has made 13 appearances for Fulham in all competitions

Maidstone United have abandoned hope of receiving further compensation from Fulham for defender Chris Smalling after his move to Manchester United.

The 20-year-old joined the Cottagers in 2008 and has now agreed a summer move to Old Trafford for an undisclosed fee.

Stones chairman Paul Bowden-Brown told BBC Radio Kent: "I appealed to Fulham owner Mohammed Al-Fayed and their chief executive but without success."

Smalling's move to Man Utd has already triggered a compensation agreement.

"We agreed with Fulham that for every 10 first-team appearances Chris made, Maidstone would receive £10,000," Bowden-Brown added.

"There was no sell-on clause because Chris was a schoolboy while he was with us and could not have played for England Schoolboys had he been on contract.

There will be no further payment of any sort coming to Maidstone

Paul Bowden-Brown

"I wrote to Al-Fayed and their chief executive, as did many of our supporters, pointing out our circumstances.

"They responded by saying that Chris had been a rough diamond when they signed him and that their manager Roy Hodgson had developed him.

"There will be no further payment of any sort coming to Maidstone."

The cash-strapped Stones have been unable to pay their players since 5 December and have deferred paying any wages until the end of the season.

Maidstone are seeking to establish a ground of their own in the town, they presently lodge with Ashford Town after leaving Sittingbourne last season.

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8573049.stm

Fulham    v    Juventus (agg 1 - 3)

Thursday, 18 March 2010

Europa League

Home Team Score Away Team Time
Fulham v  Juventus 18:00
(agg 1-3)

FULHAMJUVENTUSPossession
Fulham 50% Juventus 50% Attempts on target
Fulham 0 Juventus 0 Attempts off target
Fulham 0 Juventus 0 Corners
Fulham 0 Juventus 0 Fouls
Fulham 0 Juventus 0
Uefa Europa League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Thursday 18 March Kick-off: 1800 GMT Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live and ESPN

TEAM NEWS

Fulham will give Brede Hangeland a late fitness test to see whether he has recovered enough from a chest injury.

Hangeland may have to sit out along with Andy Johnson and John Pantsil, who are both sidelined with knee injuries.

Danny Murphy and Jonathan Greening are suspended, David Elm is ill, but Bjorn Helge Riise returns after overcoming a stomach bug he picked up in Turin.

Juve are missing Gianluigi Buffon and Alex Manninger, so Antonio Chimenti or Carlo Pinsogliois will play in goal.

Manninger has a thigh injury, while Buffon has already been out for a month with a similar injury.

Defender Jose Martin Caceres has an abdominal problem and is also out.

While Juve's aggregate lead will make them favourites, Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is adamant that Dickson Etuhu's away goal in Turin has provided his side with glimmer of hope.

And Hodgson's reason for optimism was further enhanced after Alberto Zaccheroni's Juve side squandered a three-goal lead in their 3-3 draw with Siena at the weekend.

"It's not impossible. We're not out of it for sure," said Hodgson.

"I've seen stranger things happen in my career, so I am sure the players will be doing their very best to turn the game around in the second leg."

It is very important that we don't allow our season, which has been quite fantastic, just to slip away

Roy Hodgson
Fulham have exceeded the expectations of many this season, with the Craven Cottage outfit still in the hunt for two pieces of silverware and a top-half Premier League finish.

Fulham, currently 10th in the Premier League, face Tottenham in their FA Cup quarter-final replay next Wednesday and Hodgson admitted club's season could be defined over the next seven days.

"My concern is that, having done so well, it will impact upon us if we go out of any of the competitions," said Hodgson.

"It is very important that doesn't happen and we don't allow our season, which has been quite fantastic, just to slip away."

Juventus midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic insisted the Italian side will take nothing for granted against Fulham, especially with the West London side playing at home.

"It'll be very hard over there because it's a small ground," said Salihamidzic.

"They play with a great tempo at home and we'll have to be very careful.

"But if we put them under pressure, the sort of pressure we did in the first leg, it will be really hard for them to play well."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Baird, Kelly, Hangeland, Konchesky, Hughes, Smalling, Gera, Duff, Davies, Etuhu, Riise, Dikgacoi, Nevland, Zamora, Dempsey.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3253323,00.html

Fulham v Juve preview

Cottagers battling to overcome first leg deficit

Last updated: 18th March 2010   

Fulham have it all to do to maintain their European adventure against Italian giants Juventus at Craven Cottage.

Roy Hodgson's men went down 3-1 to the Old Lady in the first leg of their last-16 Europa League clash.

Fulham's form failed to improve at the weekend after they suffered a 3-0 defeat to Manchester United, although Juventus squandered a three-goal lead at home to bottom side Siena on Sunday.

Cottagers news
Star defender Brede Hangeland is a doubt to feature with the chest injury that forced him out of their defeat at Old Trafford. United-bound Chris Smalling could start if Hangeland misses out.

Captain Danny Murphy and fellow midfielder Jonathan Greening are suspended while John Pantsil (knee) and David Elm (illness) are both injured.

Bobby Zamora is sure to lead the line and he could partner Clint Dempsey with Andy Johnson (knee) still out on the sidelines injured.

Hodgson is relishing the opportunity of taking the Cottagers to a new high in their history by eliminating Juve.

"I think it's fairly obvious that if we were able to knock out a team like Juventus it would be a massive achievement," said the 62-year-old. "I'm sure that it would be a massive feather in Fulham's cap."

Juve news
Juve manager Alberto Zaccheroni has injury problems of his own to contend with, especially who to select between the sticks.

Zaccheroni has Antonio Chimenti and Carlo Pinsoglio to choose from as he is also without first and second choices Gianluigi Buffon and Alex Manninger.

Veteran Alessandro Del Piero is expected to face the Cottagers after scoring twice in Juve's disappointing 3-3 draw with Siena.

Giorgio Chiellini, Martin Caceres, Claudio Marchisio, Amauri and Michele Paolucci are all injured while the man who scored Juve's opener last week - Nicola Legrottaglie - is suspended.

Fulham 11/8, Juventus 15/8, Draw 12/5

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/126855/Bobby-Zamora-vows-to-keep-cool-against-Italian-giants-Juventus/

BOBBY ZAMORA VOWS TO KEEP COOL AGAINST ITALIAN GIANTS JUVENTUS

18th March 2010

By Danny Fullbrook

BOBBY ZAMORA insists he will keep his head tonight to shoot Fulham into the history books – and not do a Didier Drogba.

Fulham have to overcome a 3-1 deficit against Italian giants Juventus to reach the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

Roy Hodgson's side expect Juve to use every trick in the book to unsettle them.

It is exactly what Inter Milan did to Chelsea, with Drogba eventually ­blowing his fuse and getting sent off for a frustrated stamp on Thiago Motta.

But Zamora is adamant he can handle the pressure and attention he will get from the Italian defence.

The Fulham striker admits this is the biggest game of his life and is ­desperate to add to the 15 goals he has already scored this season.

He said: "I'm sure they'll be doing ­exactly the same to us what Inter did to Chelsea, trying to frustrate and trying to kill time.

"But the gaffer has said to us that we've got to keep our heads, get on to the referee and make sure he knows that they're trying to waste time, and keep your eyes peeled.

"We can't do what Chelsea did. Italians are much more hands on. The closest thing to playing against Italian sides is probably playing against Ricardo ­Carvalho at Chelsea.

"He's a very clever player, not overly strong or overly quick but knows when to foul at the right time. I suppose they are very clever at it.

"A lot of their game is very tactical, it's an art in its own.

"I enjoyed the first game against Juve. I thought I held it up very well.

"Fabio Cannavaro doesn't want to be running in the channels, he's a bit older now, he wants to fight, he wants to pull, he wants to push you, so I am sure I'll try and make him run in the channels and turn him the other way."

Fulham boss Hodgson has managed extensively in ­Italy and has told his players to keep their cool as they hunt the goals to turn the tie around.

He said: "We saw that ­Inter stood up physically to Chelsea and Juve can do the same.

"I have spoken to my­ ­players about being careful.

"Italian teams know when to foul, how to frustrate ­players and how to provoke.

"We have refs with ­common sense in this ­country and are used to ­protesting, but that does not always happen in Europe and we have to be careful."

Hodgson nearly sold Zamora to Hull last summer but always believed he would come good in the end.

He added: "Last year he was unlucky and had a poor goalscoring record.

"But I was always ­confident that he would be able to produce what he is ­doing. Confidence is a big thing for strikers."

Zamora, 29, has had a ­controversial season having clashed with Fulham fans after they gave him stick over his lack of goals. He added: "I suppose there's been a bit of tit for tat. Some fans have given me a bit of abuse and I suppose I told them in a few terms.

"I have probably turned a few people and, I ­suppose, just rubbed their noses in it."

But Fulham could struggle with Danny Murphy and Jonathan Greening both suspended, while Brede Hangeland faces a fitness test this morning.

White Noise

We'll Give It Our All

Thursday 18th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Bobby Zamora summed up the mood in the Fulham camp on Wednesday evening when he was asked if Roy Hodgson's Team could overturn Juventus' first leg lead at the Cottage on Thursday night.

"Definitely," responded Zamora emphatically ahead of Thursday's European encounter. "At home we're a very good Team so I see no reason why not. We've beaten the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool at home this season.

"We're confident we can beat them [Juventus] in normal time. We're going to go out and give it our all. There's no reason why we can't do it against Juventus. It's a massive game for me, the players and the Club.

"It'll have to be a good performance but we're capable of that and we believe it as well. We've got be clever with the quality of players they have. If we can get an early goal then the tie is all to fight for."

Zamora is desperate to keep Fulham's European adventure alive, especially after memorable victories over Basel in Switzerland and Shakhtar Dnoetsk in the Ukraine, and a win against Juventus on Thursday would most certainly be considered a career high for the striker.

"In the earlier rounds we perhaps saw it as something to take our minds off the Premier League because there's so much pressure week-in, week-out, with every game making sure that you stay in the division next year.

"In the last few games it's really gone down to the wire and it's meant so much to us. We want to go and win against Juventus. It's purely about getting through to the next round – if I don't score but set someone up or drag the centre half away and we score those two vital goals then I'll be chuffed.

"For the Club there is so much riding on it and we're desperate to go out there and perform. It's been a good two years for myself and the Club – it's been brilliant. We're so close to the finish line now we've got to dig in and give it our all."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/ZamoraonJuventus.aspx#ixzz0iWh1imxu

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/03/18/1838300/manchester-city-boss-roberto-mancini-tips-juventus-to

Manchester City Boss Roberto Mancini Tips Juventus To Complete England-Italy Double Against Fulham

Serie A is well capable of holding its own against the Premier League, says 'Mancio'.

By Vince Masiello

Mar 18, 2010 10:12:00 AM

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is confident that another English side will fall at the hands of Italian opposition tonight to prove that Serie A is still alive and kicking.

Mancini believes that Juventus will be too much to handle for Premier League outfit Fulham, who trail 3-1 from the first leg of their Europa League last 16 tie, further dispelling persistent talk of Calcio's alleged decline after Inter knocked Chelsea out of the Champions League on Tuesday.

"Juve are, by far, stronger than Fulham and can't lose," the tactician told Tuttosport newspaper.

"They will progress. They will have to beware of the atmosphere, but [Alberto] Zaccheroni knows how to prepare the team for this clash.

"There is not much difference between the Premier League and Serie A. Who says that Italian teams are bound to be dominated by English sides?

"Take a look at Inter the other night. After a very balanced first half, the Nerazzurri absolutely justified their qualification to the next round. And I was not surprised..."