watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not Back From The Match Yet

Started by White Noise, March 18, 2010, 10:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

What an unbelievable experience! And yet it wasn't. It looked on the cards all the way through. Walking through the park everyone was sounding positive and our fans never once lost that sense - even when their goal went in. Yet again I missed the early goal but everyone said it was a soft one. In any normal and rational circumstance needing 4 goals against one of the greatest teams on the planet would initiate deep depression and much moaning on all sides. Not a bit of it. It barely registered. There was a sense that once Fulham settled into their stride it would start to get lively. And so it proved. We were getting forward plenty and Konch was particularly adventurous with his attacking runs. Gera seemed to be everywhere and the Italians didn't like us running at them and did not look comfortable when crosses came in. We looked to be struggling to get our range right and I was sure Konch had over hit his cross to Bobby. Some how Mr Zamora not only got to it but did one of his great chest controlling moves and then wacked the thing in before you could shout. A sublime piece of football that summed up the confidence and dominance of the man pretty much all match. The Italians had nothing on him and he was not the least intimated by them. If you were to liken Bobby to a boxer he used real ring craft tonight and out thought and out tricked the Italians at every turn. With one goal back the crowd really picked up the singing and it never let up from there. I was in The Putney End and it was a lively as I have known it and pretty much Fulham throughout. Gera did look like he would get into a good position and was trying everything to wrong foot their defence. When his goal came it was the logical conclusion of consistent pressure and our players celebrated with an air of those who know the momentum is with them. Everyone was really bouyed up at half time and it looked like only the Italians left their seats. When we resumed Baird and Etuhu continued to control the middle of the pitch despite my dismay at seeing them paired. Baird took his game on another step and played with real confidence and assuredness. Etuhu still misplaced the odd pass but it only ceded momentum very briefly. Hangeland was dealing quitely with anything that cane in at head height as the Italians became more reliant on speculative shots and crosses. The red card in the first half had made the Italians change their shape and they looked much more hurried at the back. When the handball came we all looked at each other to ask who the hell would take it. When Gera stepped up no-one could remember the last one he had taken. Maybe at Hungarian military school? He finished perfectly and the place went potty. My vocal chords were feeling the strain from insane yelling but it was clear they would have more to do. I would like to say it was a real high tension, ebb and flow sort of game after that but in truth there was only really one team in it. When Kelly came off to a standing ovation on all sides the pink booted one seemed like an inspired substitution. Does Clint Dempsey score any boring, meaningless goals? If so, I can't remember them. He enters the field of play with the swagger and presence of a class act and he definitely lived up to it tonight. Situated, as I was, at the back of the opposite end of the stadium his shot looked like an overcooked cross and I was swearing before I saw the reaction of the fans in the Hammersmith end. That did it. Bedlam. Every Fulham song imaginable was trotted out and, in particular, a rather appropriate one about a certain player being made to look shite. I really thought we would score again. Total suspension of disbelief. If Schwarzer had come up for a corner and bicycle kicked one in from outside the box it would not have seemed out of place. In truth Mark had been doing stretching exercises from about the 70th minute so lacking was his workload. Simon Davies was close to his old super self and got caught up in the euphoria to the extent that he swapped shirts with Del Piero - I am sure the Italian is very proud. The quality of our football was fantastic throughout and if our players are suffering from exhaustion you could not tell. When Fulham play like this there is not a player out there you would swap. Roy Hodgson is the master of this type of football and having masterminded the defeat of both the champions and now the favourites you would have to be a mug to bet against Fulham being in Hamburg on 12th May. I have never heard Craven Cottage so loud and the players seemed ecstatic as they came to applaud the fans. We are not fluking these games. We are not through to the last 8 because we have been lucky. The polar opposite in fact. This team can achieve whatever it wants to. Quite how the players get themselves up for Citeh I don't know. And I don't care. Go on Mancini you dodgy little dwarf, have a 7-0 on us. You didn't call this game right though did you?  What a tremendous night! God bless MAF you have earnt this. Be sure of one thing folks this is the start of something really good for Fulham, not the end. Football - bloody hell!

finnster01

Outstanding read WN. Thanks for punching all that out.

Sorry to miss out watching the historic moment live and only on the telly. The word jealous does not even begin to describe it. :54: :54:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SheffieldWhite

WN, what a super post exposing all your critical judgement supercharged with emotion. Like you I will enjoy tonight. Sleep well, eventually.

Crita

Quote from: finnster01 on March 18, 2010, 11:05:31 PM
Outstanding read WN. Thanks for punching all that out.

Sorry to miss out watching the historic moment live and only on the telly. The word jealous does need even begin to describe it. :54: :54:

My thoughts exactly. I had to settle for watching it at 5am over here in Australia. Didn't stop jumping off the lounge and fist pumping when Dempsey scored  :55:

I made a deal with my wife at the start of the season - if Fulham make the final in Hamburg, I'll be there! Who cares how much it costs, I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Jimpav

Thanks White Noise. Am epic post for an epic game. I practically blacked out with excitement during the match so it's good to have a in depth report. Amazing.

Steve_orino

Mr. WN, rarely do we read prose from yourself - you should do it more often!

I nearly wept at your recounting of the game...an absolute classic!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Tom

Fulham for life!

Whiteroom

What a post! Thank you. I too was sitting in the Putney end, and it was completely unbelievable. What a time to be a Fulham fan, we thoroughly deserve this, and we are incredibly lucky to have what can only be described as a genius managing us. I have hardly stopped smiling since that fourth goal. it was momentous.

NogoodBoyo

There is only ONE WHITE NOISE?  There's ONLY ONE WHI_ITE NOISE!   One WHI-ITE NOISE......
Finn is moaning about missing it live.  I'm moaning about missing it on television.  But, I've found out that Italian football obsessed GOL TV is airing the replay between 1 and 3am.
So, my night's going to consist of a couple of episodes of Prison Break followed by European Cup football highlights, then the game in full.  Maybe 2 hours of sleep, another read of White Noise's report, then out to work at 6.30am.
Nogood "no tinitis when White Noise and Fulham are on song together, isit" Boyo

Tktd

Did you notice that Mancini was at the game! ha ha - to have us down to lose having already been 3-1 down he probably thought it was a dead cert - when the scored another goal in 2 mins he probably put a bet on it, I wonder what he's thinking now though - we completely dominated them and won 4-1! For Italians Juve are their time honored traditional team - no matter how badly they play they'll always get respect due to their history... for us to beat them will have made italians the world over stand up and take notice!

GoldCoastWhite

Brilliant stuff Noisy - I can almost hear the crowd as I'm reading your post.  :045: :047:

aconnecticutyankee

Thanks WN for the flavor of what it was to be there. I was crazed just watching it on Gol TV...

LRCN

I bet WN is still in fulham. probably conked out on a bench in nothing but his fulham scarf surrounded by empty bottles.

MrCheviot

"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

SuffolkWhite

Well done WN, thanks for that, brilliant description.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

JBH

Great Post, I have only ever shed a tear at a football match and that was when we secured promotion to the Premiership at the Cottage wishing my Dad who had passed away recently before the game could have been there to see it.

Well last night I shed a few more, It was an amazing feeling that I will never forget, saying that I was proud of everyone asscoiated with FFC last night is an understatement.

COYW lets go all the way to Hamburg on May 12th  

KCat

Bloody Hell  White Noise .........................Just Bloody - Hell  !!!!!

The Equalizer

Best match report ever! I was going to knock up my own match report this morning, but having read that, it would be inappropriate because I have nothing more to add. Well done mate and well done Fulham.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

White Noise

Thanks chaps. Lots of people around London talking about Fulham today - on the trains and in the bars. The miracle of Craven Cottage has really caught the public imagination.