watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Without Konch and Pantsil our attack has been poor

Started by RidgeRider, January 27, 2010, 01:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

I have to say that since these two have been out, our attack has been uninspiring.

It is clear to me now with their ability to attack on the wings, they were a huge part of our ability to score, given it gave us so many options. I think we will continue to struggle with the Kelly/Kallio and yesterdays Hughes/Baird combinations.

Anyone have a say?

Jimpav

I agree, especially Pantsil.

We got the ball in the box maybe three times last night. By all accounts that is poor.

Let's hope that Pantsil can emulate BZ's Lazarusesque recovery.

timmyg

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 27, 2010, 01:42:29 PM
I have to say that since these two have been out, our attack has been uninspiring.

It is clear to me now with their ability to attack on the wings, they were a huge part of our ability to score, given it gave us so many options. I think we will continue to struggle with the Kelly/Kallio and yesterdays Hughes/Baird combinations.

Anyone have a say?

I'm a big chalkboard guy, and the positioning of Kallio/Baird/Hughes/Kelly is a good 10 yards more defensively than PK and JP. It effects not just our ability to score, but our ability to pass, dictate tempo, and keep clean sheets.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

scotty

Since JP's injury we have conceded 9 league goals (3 full games, and just over 20 minutes of the scum). And not one clean sheet.

Before that it took 12 matches for us to give up 9 goals...and we had 5 clean sheets in that run.

I know this topic was about our attack but....WOW!

NogoodBoyo

Most intelligent thread of the day!  :o
I got stuck on the poor performance of our :o wide midfield players (Dufferiiise) - when you all could well be right.  The problem lay one line back.
I was impressed with both Baird and Hughes in their new full-back positions, but I was only looking at their defensive performances (well, Ok, their throw-ins too).
I don't remember either of them them getting past the Spurs penalty box - barely past the half-way line even. 
Nogood "riding the ridges when it's plain to see the problem, isit" Boyo

NogoodBoyo

And then I found that Ridge done rode Hanger Lane:

"Fulham looked particularly troubled on the flanks, where Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird were made into reluctant full-backs who could not get forward enough to aid sporadic attacks.

"I thought Bairdy and Hughsey did well, but obviously they are not the kind of attacking full-backs that Konch [Paul Konchesky] and Johnny P [Pantsil] are, so that mostly affected our attacking," Hangeland said