Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (28/03/10)

Started by WhiteJC, March 28, 2010, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6551
Trotta hat-trick downs Cardiff
by Dan on March 27, 2010

It looks like Marcello Trotta can't stop scoring at the moment. His name was on the lips of Fulham fans after his starring performance for the Under-18s in their FA Youth Cup defeat by Aston Villa a few weeks ago and the young Italian produced another fine performance to see off Cardiff City at Motspur Park today.

Trotta scored a hat-trick as Gary Brazil's youngsters secured a thrilling 3-2 over Cardiff – and his late third proved to be vital. It would be churlish not to mention two terrific goal-line clearances from the excellent captain Aaron Pierre as the youngsters continued an impressive season with a win.

FULHAM UNDER 18s: Bettinelli; Pritchard, Marquez-Sanchez, Pierre, Maloney; Dean, Frei, Harris, Reece; Payne, Trotta.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1261127/Hull-2-Fulham-0-Jimmy-Bullard-laugh-puts-boot-Cottagers.html
Hull 2 Fulham 0: Jimmy Bullard has the last laugh as he puts the boot into Cottagers

Roy Hodgson portrayed it as 'the last laugh' of an alleged footballing mercenary.

But, while his comments on Hull hero - and Fulham old boy - Jimmy Bullard were spicy enough, they may not prove as controversial as his decision to rest key players, making it easier for Hull to claw back ground on fellow relegation candidates West Ham.

Bullard, 31, leapt for joy like a youngster who had just scored his first goal in the big-time. His first-half penalty put Hull firmly on the road to a victory secured by Craig Fagan's header soon after the break.
The remarkable spring that powered Bullard's celebratory jumps for joy may well have originated in the resentment he felt at not being offered a sufficiently secure future at Craven Cottage last season.

Some might even call yesterday's match-winning contribution an act of revenge.

Hodgson said: 'Fulham fans loved Jimmy Bullard and weren't happy when he refused to sign a new contract and went to Hull for an awful lot more money. I don't think he came up here to better his football experience. But Bullard had the last laugh when he scored the penalty goal.'

Jubilant Iain Dowie, Hull's replacement for sacked manager Phil Brown, said: 'It was a pressure penalty.'

Bullard was even confident enough to goad Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer before outwitting him.

The full significance of the moment will only be known in a few weeks' time.

But critical acclaim came early, and Bullard received a standing ovation when he was substituted five minutes from the end. Hodgson's selection policy will be less popular.
Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Bobby Zamora all failed to play, even though Hodgson admitted afterwards that they had been fit enough to do so.

The latter was said to have been suffering from a stomach complaint earlier in the week, though he could not have been feeling quite as sick as West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola when he heard about Fulham's line-up.

When it was suggested that Zola would be angry with him, Hodgson replied: 'I don't agree with you. Zamora's place was taken by Clint Dempsey, who scored a wonder-goal against Juventus. I don't think anyone would expect us to have been able to achieve what we have this season by using only 11 players.
'I had confidence in the players I put in the team. When these decisions come off you congratulate yourself. When they don't, people try to criticise.'

Hull showed an admirable new fighting spirit under Dowie, who said: 'They showed guts, desire and hunger.Jimmy Bullard wants the ball everywhere.'

Dowie milked the applause everywhere, too. He punched the air and saluted all sides of the stadium as he courted a delighted crowd, still jubilant after hearing the West Ham result.
The game had been action-packed. In the 16th minute, Bullard's searching pass found Jozy Altidore, who managed to turn despite close attention from Chris Smalling.
The future Manchester United defender showed a woeful lack of strength under pressure and could only bring down Altidore to prevent the City marksman from pulling the trigger.

Bullard punished him anyway. Fulham had their moments but, three minutes after the break, Fagan's looping header completely fooled Schwarzer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1261127/Hull-2-Fulham-0-Jimmy-Bullard-laugh-puts-boot-Cottagers.html#ixzz0jSbpfZPO

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6560
Bullard boosts Hull's survival hopes
by Dan on March 27, 2010

It was all rather tiresomely predictable at the KC Stadium today. Roy Hodgson rotated his side with Wolfsburg in mind and Fulham were their usual sloppy, slow selves away from home. It's particularly galling not to have picked up any points from three meetings with an infuriatingly average Hull City side. More frustrating than the fact that Jimmy Bullard stepped up to convert a first-half penalty, carelessly conceded by Chris Smalling, was the realisation that Hull didn't really have to play well to record a much-needed three points.

That's not to say they didn't play better than Fulham. Iain Dowie had obviously drummed the need for three points into his players and they looked a busy, dogged insurgency: confident in the belief that they could continue an impressive home record against such poor travellers as the Whites. Hodgson's rejigging of his side, that saw Nicky Shorey puzzlingly pressed into service in the unfamiliar position of right-back when Fredrik Stoor was on the bench, and Clint Dempsey preferred to Erik Nevland and Stefano Okaka as the starting centre-forward, probably worked in Hull's favour even if the home side were gifted the opening goal.

The penalty came after both teams had tried to impose themselves on the game. City, with Jozy Altidore a persistent irritant up front, won a corner inside the opening minute and Fulham had the first sight of goal when Boaz Myhill parried a shot from Zoltan Gera. Smalling, playing in place of the rested Aaron Hughes, was caught the wrong side of Altidore from a floated Bullard cross and in desperation tried to halt the American's run. It was a clumsy moment of manhandling, continuing a worrying trend of errors that seem to have crept in as the season has gone on, and Chris Foy had little alternative but to award the penalty, which Bullard – inevitably – dispatched with glee.

The first half was strange because, whilst Hull had much of the ball and more of the urgency, Fulham carved out the better chances. Myhill was called into action to repel a Gera free-kick and the Hungarian beat the Hull goalkeeper twice before the break. The first time saw his volley from close range miraculously cleared off the line by George Boateng and the second, a more timid poke towards goal, was cleared by Steven Mouyokolo, who hurt himself in the process.

Cards were brandished here and there by a fussy Foy and Fulham had Mark Schwarzer to thank for not falling further behind. The Australian goalkeeper made a sprawling save from a Bullard free-kick and had to be alert to push away a Dean Marney from the subsequent corner. You felt that, with Fulham still looking dangerous on the break, whilst it was 1-0 Hodgson's side still had a chance. That hope evaporated barely five minutes into the second period when Marney's deep left-wing cross encouraged Craig Fagan to climb with intent at the far post and his header looped over a stranded Schwarzer into the far corner.

That second changed both the complexion of the contest and the atmosphere inside the stadium. Hull charged for the throat, with Schwarzer alert to the danger presented by an Altidore cross that was destined for Richard Garcia. Hodgson's substitutions steadied a ship that had already sunk (if such a feat is possible) with the visitors seeing a lot more of the ball once Jonathan Greening replaced Kagisho Dikgacoi. Stefano Okaka was a more physical presence up front, although the Italian might have done better that shoot meekly at Myhill just before the hour.

The on-loan Roma forward caused moments of concern in the Hull defence but the home side were largely comfortable and can turn their attentions towards moving out of the relegation as a result of Dowie's first win. Fulham can only hope that their tepid performance isn't repeated on Thursday against Wolfsburg, who won 2-0 at Mainz today. Fortunately, the first leg's at the Cottage.

HULL CITY (4-4-2): Myhill; McShane, Kilbane, Sonko, Mouyokolo; Boateng, Bullard (Olofinjana 85), Marney, Garcia; Altidore (Vennegoor of Hesselink 78), Fagan. Subs (not used): Duke, Mendy, Barmby, Cairney.

BOOKED: Kilbane, Altidore.

GOALS: Bullard (pen 16), Fagan (48).

FULHAM (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Shorey, Konchesky, Smalling, Hangeland; Baird, Dikgacoi (Greening 58), Riise (Okaka 53), Davies; Gera; Dempsey. Subs (not used): Zuberbuhler, Stoor, Hughes, Etuhu, Nevland.

BOOKED: Davies, Dikgacoi, Gera, Shorey.

REFEREE: Chris Foy (Merseyside).

ATTENDANCE: 24,361

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11714_6058073,00.html
Hodgson defends selection
Cottagers boss understands boos for Bullard

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson angrily dismissed suggestions that he will have infuriated fellow Premier League managers by fielding a weakened side in Saturday's defeat at Hull City.

The Tigers boosted their hopes of Premier League survival at the KC Stadium as Jimmy Bullard scored a penalty against his former club and Craig Fagan netted with a header.

With a Europa League quarter-final against Wolfsburg looming, Hodgson rested Bobby Zamora, Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Aaron Hughes in what has been a marathon season for his side.

But the Fulham boss does not think he will have risked the wrath of West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola, whose side are fighting for survival alongside Hull, by recalling the likes of Kagisho Dikgacoi and Clint Dempsey.

Hodgson said: "I had confidence in the players I put in the team, players like Dikgacoi and Dempsey needed more football. They got injured in January."

Asked if Zola will be cross, he added: "No, I don't think so. I think what most managers should be saying is how well we have done to keep playing the same players week after week.

More money
"We played seven matches in 21 days in February. We have played eight in 24 days in March and we have got another seven or eight in 26 days in April.

"I do not think it is fair for anybody to suggest that we can do that with 11 players.

"I think that the players who have come into the team, Dempsey for Zamora, Dikgacoi for Murphy and (Chris) Smalling for Hughes, I think I am entitled to say that those players are more than capable of playing at this level."

He added: "I do not think that we have done anything that anyone could expect us to do otherwise."

Meanwhile, Hodgson was not surprised that Bullard, who left Craven Cottage in 2009, was a target for the Fulham boo-boys.

"They weren't very happy when he refused to sign a new contract with Fulham and went to Hull for an awful lot more money," he said.

"So I don't think I can really criticise them for that. He knew what he was doing, he wanted the contract that was on offer here (the KC Stadium). He was not prepared to accept the contract offer that we were prepared to offer."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/royhullreaction.aspx
Hull Reaction
Saturday 27th March 2010

Following Fulham's 2-0 defeat to Hull City at the KC Stadium on Saturday, Roy Hodgson gave his reaction to the day's events during his post-match press conference.

"I thought both goals were poor defensively," said Hodgson. "I was very disappointed with the way we conceded the two goals today. We found ourselves a goal down and that was the perfect start for Hull. We paid a high price for conceding such a bad first goal.

"They were very determined to work hard, chase and fight today and they did extremely well. We would have needed something special in the second half to get back on level terms and we made that much more difficult for ourselves when they scored the second.

"We're better defensively than that and with the two chances that were cleared off the line the luck didn't go our way today, it went Hull's way, which is often the case when a team is scrapping at the bottom, fighting for their lives, and playing with such grit and determination. That little bit of luck goes to that team."

Hodgson made six changes to his starting eleven for Saturday's game following Fulham's FA Cup clash earlier in the week and highlighted the demands placed on his squad this season due to the Club's success on the domestic and European fronts. 

"If you win the game making changes then you congratulate yourself on the squad system," Hodgson explained. "If the team that gets a chance doesn't win the game then of course people say, 'had the other players played they'd of won'.

"I'm not certain with the two goals we conceded today we'd of been capable of scoring three goals here whatever team we'd of played. The pitch is not easy and I don't think there were that many serious goal chances in the game to be perfectly honest.

"We played seven matches in 27 days in February. We played eight in 24 days in March and we've got another seven or eight in 25 or 26 days in April. I don't think it's fair for anyone to suggest that we can do that with 11 players."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6058222,00.html
Hodgson's helping hand
Selection left Cottagers there for the taking, says Merse

Hull City 2-0 Fulham
Soccer Saturday analysis

Paul Merson watched Hull hlland Iain Dowie his first win in charge - but felt Roy Hodgson gave his opposite number a helping hand.

A goal in either half from Jimmy Bullard and Craig Fagan gave the Tigers their first win in six Premier League attempts, that saw them move level on points with West Ham in the relegation battle, although they remain in the bottom three.

But while there were celebrations all around at the KC Stadium, Merson believes Hodgson contributed to his side's downfall by selecting his starting side with more than one eye on the upcoming Europa Cup tie with Wolfsburg.

"I'd say the only fluke about it was the team that Fulham picked," he told Soccer Saturday.

"That was the result, them leaving out there three best players by a country mile to be fair - (Bobby) Zamora, (Damien) Duff and (Danny) Murphy - I bet Iain couldn't believe his luck when that team sheet came through.

"Hull were comfortable, very comfortable. Boaz Myhill never had a save to make to be fair. Without Zamora Fulham were never going to be a threat. I do like Clint Dempsey and Zoltan Gera but they were a bit lightweight up front without Zamora's presence.

"It was a great result for Hull City - but I am sure there will be a lot of talking about Fulham's team."

Dowie had called for passion and commitment before the game and although Merson expected more from them from kick-off, Hull did get the crucial breakthrough.

And again they had some assistance from their guests, this time in the shape of Chris Smalling, whose clumsy challenge on Jozy Altidore allowed Bullard to blast home a penalty against his former club.

Struggling
"Hull didn't start great," said Merson. "I thought they'd really go at them strongly, with a really big temp to get the crowd buzzing but they didn't really do that. But then, all of a sudden they got a penalty.

"The lad Smalling is struggling. I've watched him since he signed for Man United and he's been absolutely struggling badly. It was a bad decision; he didn't have to dive in, he tried to get on the other side of Altidore but got the wrong side and brought him down - and he was lucky he never got sent off.

"To be fair to Jimmy Bullard he can take a penalty! The keeper went the right way, but it was straight into the top corner and two goalkeepers wouldn't have saved it."

"Then they kicked off the second half, the ball comes in from Dean Marney and it's a great header from Fagan, absolutely outstanding. He's drifting back, but nods it the other way back over the keeper for 2-0 and that has just settled Hull.

"Fagan was absolutely outstanding today - it must have been the best he's played for Hull."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6566
Angry Hodgson
by Dan on March 27, 2010

All those who might doubt whether the Fulham manager has the necessary steel to get the best of players (or has thought that he's just too nice), should watch this interview.

BBC Sport - Football - Hodgson defends decision to rest players

Roy seemed to a get little irritated with the Beeb interviewer today – and it seems to fit with the perception that he's been a little angrier of late (witness kicking things in frustration at White Hart Lane in the week).

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6563

Roy stands by selection
by Dan on March 27, 2010

Roy Hodgson insists he was right to rest players for Fulham's game at Hull this afternoon, even though his side slumped to a 2-0 defeat at the KC Stadium.

The Fulham manager was angry at suggestions he might have infuriated other managers as the Premier League strugglers grabbed a valuable three points, saying he believed the side he put out were able to win at Hull, even if he had an eye on Thursday's Europa League quarter final first leg at Wolfsburg.

I had confidence in the players I put in the team, players like Dikgacoi and Dempsey needed more football. They got injured in January.

He was forthright in dismissing concerns that under-pressure managers like West Ham's Gianfranco Zola would have been dismayed by his selection.

No, I don't think so. I think what most managers should be saying is how well we have done to keep playing the same players week after week.

We played seven matches in 21 days in February. We have played eight in 24 days in March and we have got another seven or eight in 26 days in April. I do not think it is fair for anybody to suggest that we can do that with 11 players.

I think that the players who have come into the team, Dempsey for Zamora, Dikgacoi for Murphy and Smalling for Hughes, I think I am entitled to say that those players are more than capable of playing at this level. I do not think that we have done anything that anyone could expect us to do otherwise.

Hodgson said he understood why Jimmy Bullard, who set Hull on the way to victory with a first-half penalty, was booed by the travelling fans.

They weren't very happy when he refused to sign a new contract with Fulham and went to Hull for an awful lot more money. So I don't think I can really criticise them for that. He knew what he was doing, he wanted the contract that was on offer here. He was not prepared to accept the contract offer that we were prepared to offer.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=6568
Why did go wrong today?
by Dan on March 27, 2010

Timmy's produced a pretty good assessment of how it went wrong for Fulham today and what might have troubled Roy Hodgson this afternoon.

He also offers up an interesting stat: Duff, Zamora, and Murphy who account for 19 of Fulham's 33 league goals. That's a lot.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hodgson-defends-team-selection-hull-defeat-730251
Fulham boss Hodgson defends team selection for Hull defeat
28.03.10 | tribalfootball.com
Fulham boss Roy Hodgson defended his selection for defeat at Hull City.

The Fulham side showed six changes from the FA Cup defeat by Tottenham in midweek, and boss Roy Hodgson admitted afterwards he had rested Bobby Zamora, Damien Duff and Danny Murphy ahead of Thursday's Europa League quarter-final against Wolfsburg.

Hodgson, though, did not feel any of Hull's fellow strugglers could have cause for complaint.

He said: "What most managers should be saying is how well we've done to keep playing the same players week after week. I don't think it's fair for anybody to suggest we can (cope with the number of fixtures) with 11 players.

"The players who've come into the team, I think I'm entitled to say those players are more than capable of playing at this level - (Chris) Smalling's a £10million Manchester United player, (Kagisho) Dikgacoi plays for South Africa and Clint Dempsey is the star of the USA team. So I didn't think we've done anything other than what anyone could expect us to do.

"I don't think today the situation was any more complicated than we paid a high price for conceding such a bad first goal then, in the second half, when we looked like maybe we could take the game to Hull, we conceded another very poor second goal, which gave Hull something to hold onto, and they did that exceptionally well."

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/03/27/fulham-crash-to-defeat-at-hull-82029-26123134/
Fulham crash to defeat at Hull
Mar 27 2010 By Jacob Murtagh

Hull City 2-0 Fulham

FULHAM'S poor away form continued as they slumped to defeat at Hull City.

Jimmy Bullard came back to haunt his former club with the opener from the penalty spot on 16 minutes after Jose Altidore was hauled down by Chris Smalling.

Craig Fagan wrapped up the points for the hosts three minutes after the interval when he headed Dean Marney's cross past Mark Schwarzer.

Mr Fulham

http://www.footballpress.net/?action=read&idsel=56921

Fulham, Schalke 04, Auxerre and Paris Saint-Germain are interested in French midfielder Yves Desmarets (30), who plays in Portugal with Vitoria Guimaraes and whose contract runs out at the end of the season.

Tom

Thank you WhiteJC for taking over for White Noise while he is gone. I need my fix of Fulham news everyday!
Fulham for life!