watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Remaining league games

Started by The Swan, March 29, 2010, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

We have four home league games and three away.
We won't get anything from our away games Liverpool, Everton , Arsenal.
So we must win our four home games against Wigan, Stoke, Wolves, West Ham.
12 points will give us 50 points and maybe a top 10 finish.
The Swan

ScalleysDad

Roy has set the standard by playing the finge players in a winnable game that they contrived to lose. True enough he sounded miffed about it all but if he is going to rest the key players its the same old squad players that will filling in. Wigan slot neatly between the Wolfsburg games so expect similar changes for sunday and possibly a similar outcome. Their key players are better than our fringe players but a battling draw would be progress. Then the Anfield trip follows the expedition to Germany and that team will probably be dictated by the result. If we are progressing expect the same changes, if we are not expect some rest leave to prepare for Stoke who might have gained another place above us by then. As you say very unlikely to gain much away from home but 4 points, all draws, at home might be it. Stoke will tread all over us, Wolves have clicked and will want the double and Spam might just need the points. As Hull proved when we play a team "up for it" we often adopt the 'after you sir' approach. I really hope the whole ride does'nt fizzle out in tired legs, injuries and desperate measures............ like playing Smalling for instance. His development and game time is not our problem.
We should know how its going to go by about 9.45 on Thursday night. Met a german rep last week and he reckons we will need a Juve esque performance in the first leg as it will be a seige over there.............. durch vorsprung technic !

Jimpav

Bit of a sweeping statement to say we will get nothing from our away games. Hull wasn't to clever but anything can happen in football. Wouldn't be surprised if we took a point from any of those matches or took all 3 from Arsenal if they progress to CL final.

ScalleysDad

Perhaps part sweeping statement part pragmatism. If we progress in Europe, wow what a statement, we will have team selection issues all the way to the end of the season. Its not like Hull was an isolated away performance either but what it did show clearly was the lack of depth. Murph, BZ, Duff et all out of the Merseyside trips, based on Roys recent thinking, and we ain't going to score a goal. European final and 15th ?
Does Okakaka remind of you of the "Barndoor BZ" days of last season ? I hope he takes much less time to find the net..............

HatterDon

We'll get at least 8 points from those four home matches, and be happy with 46 points and a 12th place finish.

25 years from now, nobody will give a crap about our away record or our league placement in 2009-2010, but EVERYBODY will talk about how we came from 4-1 down to defeat the Legendary Juventus before a full house of fanatical supporters. And, if I'm with it enough to remember my own name at that point, I'll still be proud of it then.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Steve_orino

Agreed, our placement this year will be but a footnote considering what we have acheived and what we possibly could acheive in the Europa. 

I'd prefer a Top 10 finish too but our League postion will not define this year.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Lighthouse

Thats the point isn't it really. We finish in the Prem and reach the quarter finals of two major cup competitions and have shown we can compete in Europe. So whatever happens from now on we have had a pretty good season to compare with the best. Sure it would be nice to finish well but I will be happy to take three points and be pretty sure we are safe from the drop.

Although I see no reason why ten points isn't more than possible. But please lets us not talk of away games again. We don't want them and we don't like em. Ban the away game is what I say. Who is with me? I know the team are.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BestOfBrede

There might be the added problem of World cup hopefuls not wishing to get injured, as well!!