Main Menu

Why Are U.S. Fans Lukewarm On Dempsey?

Started by White Noise, January 27, 2010, 02:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/01/26/clint-dempsey/

Fulham's Clint Dempsey Will Be Back to Win Over Doubters in the USA

26/1/2010 12:01 AM GMT By Jason Mellor

An almost audible sigh of relief could be heard from Fulham when it emerged that Clint Dempsey's knee injury is nowhere near as bad as first feared.

Yet conversely, large sections of US fans met the welcome news with what could at best could be described as apathy.

One of Bob Bradley's main weapons in the bid to scupper England's World Cup hopes this summer will be primed and ready for action after all. The answer from the stands from so many who hold their nation's footballing exploits so dear? A resounding so what?

It appeared Dempsey's Premier League season and World Cup dreams had been left shattered when the forward suffered the injury at Blackburn earlier this month.

Yet subsequent scans revealed far less damage than at first thought, and the Texan hopes to be back in action in the next month or so. If ever there was a good time to suffer this type of injury, then this was it.

Dempsey can enjoy the benefits of a restorative six-week break and return refreshed for the final quarter of the season to ensure he's fully back up to speed in plenty of time for the big South African jamboree.

Had Wayne Rooney or a similarly prominent member of of Fabio Capello's England squad enjoyed a similar inury escape, the celebrations at disaster being duly averted by the USA's first World Cup opponents in Rustenburg on June 12 would have raged long and hard for weeks.

Yet despite Dempsey's clear importance to the USA national effort, a significant section of fans have been, at best, lukewarm in their reaction. Not that Bradley will be swayed by their cynicism.

Echoing the sentiments of Fulham manager Roy Hodgson, Bradley insisted: "The news about Clint's injury is positive, especially given the fact that he'll not require surgery. We're confident he'll be ready to be an important part of our team during the World Cup. He's a player we can count on."

Dempsey suffers somewhat from a problem with perception from US fans who see him regularly standing out in for Fulham on TV highlight packages, and yet feel he never quite reaches those same heights when he pulls on the national jersey.

Admittedly, the 26-year-old did endure an eight-game, 10-month goal drought which saw the criticism reach its peak until he rectified that in last year's memorable Confederations Cup campaign.

In his defence, he played a big part in the march to the finals of that particular competition, and his goal against El Salvador in September helped to clinch a sixth straight World Cup Finals' appearance.

And yet the forward still seems to be the fans' scapegoat when things aren't going well. Some point at the way his body language can start to look on the negative side as frustration sets in when the going gets tough, and that his work-rate soon drops when the situation calls for it to be upped.

They are accusations which would be met by more than a raised eyebrow by the majority of Fulham fans, who have seen Dempsey regularly excel this season, weighing in with seven goals into the process.

The at times harsh criticism hasn't deterred Bradley from making a player with 17 goals in 59 international appearances one of the first names on his team sheet. He simply refuses to accept that Dempsey is somehow more committed to club rather than country.

Imminent friendlies against El Salvador and Holland may just come a little too soon for the forward to take his latest shot at proving his international critics wrong. But with his knee healing well, he will be afforded every opportunity to put the record straight once and for all in South Africa. And England had better watch out.

mccscratch

Honestly...what many of my ignorant Yank chums do not grasp... many times Clint is in the right place and the rest if the MF is in the wrong place... Clint has learned under Roy how to defend in numbers... the other US players often just run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of keeping shape like Clint has learned to do... Clint is not effective on the US Nats because he is not surrounded by the same quality and system following players... Clint still scores goals out of nowhere for the US as evident in the Confed Cup but the US fans see a player like Stuart Holden as a better rightside of MF option (Stuart does cross better) and then have Clint up top with Altidore (or Davies if he makes it back in time)... Clint is miles ahead of many of the other players (save Donovan and perhaps Michael Bradley) in his understanding of the offensive game and defensive responsibilities.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

LBNo11

...I doubt many Fulham fans from the USA have negative feelings towards Dempsey as they see regularly what he can do. The problem is similar to John Barnes for Liverpool was a fantastic player - stick him in an England shirt and he was mediocre at best.

The point is that that club play different tactics to country.

Out of interest, how many in the US squad play in the premiership regularly..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mccscratch

US Nat players in the prem (currently)

Landon Donovan (sort of starts)
Jon Spector (sort of starts)
Tim Howard
Clint Dempsey
Stuart Holden (just signed with Bolton)
Brad Guzan (backs up BF @ Villa)

RidgeRider

I think it is just Altidore (recent) Dempsey and Howard. The dude at Westham plays some...can't recall his name, and now Donovan, but he is so recent not sure he really counts yet.

I am no expert on the USNMT, should be ashamed of that fact but I don't really follow them closely other than to watch the odd match.

The Dempsey debate continues. I think it is fueled a lot cause John Harkes harps on him  endlessly. Not sure how large the stick is that is up Harkes backside, but he doesn't like Dempsey.

mccscratch

Sorry missed Altidore on my cut and paste (since I am posting at work I type up replies on my email screen and then cut and paste fast, hahaha)

Harkes hates Dempsey and I can only assume he and Harkes had a run in at some time... he just bags on Dempsey all game.. very transparent

LBNo11

...so, as you pointed out so well in your earlier post mccscratch, the rest of the US team play US style soccer whilst Dempsey tries to play the game how he sees it from a premiership standard...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Logicalman

Another significant reason might be that - in general - the US fans' tend to follow their own MSL players and (almost) ignore those playing abroad, until it's time for the World Cup/ Gold Cup or any other glittering-ware they can enter for.
The media in the US are - quite significantly - to blame for this, with little air-time given to their national squad - especially those playing overseas. The hype about Donovan this past year was tremendous, and Clint got very little, by comparison.

In respect of game play, this has been a thorn in the side of the USMT for many years. It is a catch-22 situation, whereby players who remain in the MLS can rarely be of a standard that would impact on such competitions as the World Cup, and so such players need to be exposed in the Prem, and other European leagues, so they can understand what they will be up against. The catch in all this, is that such overseas players are trained in game play that is effective in Europe, etc, but the USMT coach is not, and so tactics, etc are based - almost exclusively - on the MLS game.

The simple way to rectify this situation would be to engage a European coach for the USMT, but that would be like admitting other countries are better, and that's not something many of the US fans can stomach either.

scotty

It's astounding how one of our most creative, hardworking, talented players EVER gets so little support at times. I believe these Lukewarm fans are just causal fans who can't see how tactics and overall team talent effect a persons performance. The man is 26, has 60caps and is tied for 8th most goals. Who needs him, eh?

I wouldn't be surprised if the US didn't make it out of the group without Clint, especially after Algeria beat the Ivory Coast. US fans should still be exhaling from a long sigh of relief. I know I am.

finnster01

Interesting point. As a "permanent" New Yorker to be, I was taken back with the lack of knowledge of Dempsey amongst so called "soccer fans" here in NY. Maybe because he's from Texas, but for one of only a handful of current players to make it in the biggest league in the world you would think they would care more. I didn't hear much "dislike" as such, but just a lack of general knowledge on him and his Fulham story.

I was a bit discouraged about that, especially since he is every bit the "American Dream" young kid trying to break into the team, does it, then loses it, then works his arse off and gets it back and plays the best football of his life. They make Hollywood movies for a lot less than that
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FulhamGK

All my truely knowledgeable football friends here are right in line with my thinking.  If Duece was out for the Cup, we would not do ANYTHING.  And, NONE of them are Fulham supporters.  They just know the game.  The people that I've run into that tend to think that he doesn't put the effort in with the Nats are not ex-players or coaches.  They just don't know any better.

And, I'll go back to the fact that I believe a lot of Clint's frustration is playing with a side that doesn't know what they are supposed to be doing.  Look at the Honduras friendly, the only person that looked like they knew what they were supposed to do was Perkins.  Being a GK though, you should ALWAYS know your job is to keep the ball out of the net!  Everyone else looked LOST.

Comparing Fulham organization to the USMNT organization is like comparing my college team to the team I played on at 8 years old  :-X
Don't mess with Texas!

The Rock

I like Dempsey just fine. Though, seeing the world through Fulhaspecs if you will, didn't really know about Dempsey before he arrived. I haven't a clue whether Americans have any basis for how he's been if they aren't following week in and week out.

HatterDon

While Donovan is our most talented player, I think Clint is our best. Many USMNT fans don't really know all that much about the game, and they're easily led by ESPN's main color announcer -- John Harkes -- who has a severe case of the hates for our boy.

The disdain is so great that he didn't even finish in the top 3 for US player of the year, despite being the only American outfield player regularly starting in a top-drawer European league.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

boxhockcycsock

That journalist surely cannot speak for all of America when he writes that article. I am on board with Clint and was ecstatic when I heard of the tameness of his injury. He has a tremendous work rate and talent, but as with anybody, Clint struggles for consistency. To claim that he doesn't try is an outrageous claim of someone hoping to sew antipathy against the lad.
Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.

boxhockcycsock

Quote from: HatterDon on January 27, 2010, 11:35:49 PM
While Donovan is our most talented player, I think Clint is our best. Many USMNT fans don't really know all that much about the game, and they're easily led by ESPN's main color announcer -- John Harkes -- who has a severe case of the hates for our boy.

The disdain is so great that he didn't even finish in the top 3 for US player of the year, despite being the only American outfield player regularly starting in a top-drawer European league.
That is definitely true that ESPN doesn't exactly have 'unbiased' commentary. That is why FSC is such a pleasure to watch (along with Max Bretos' very funny catch-phrases!).

Donovan definitely beats Clint with pace and surgical strikes, but Clint has so much technique and creativity. I think that they equal each other in talent, but in different areas. They pair very well, which is why I was so thrilled to hear that Clint will heal in time for WC2010!  ;D
He scores with his left...He scores with his right...
Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.

YankeeJim

To people who don't understand the game, a lot of Clint is lost on them. Also, I think mccscratch hit the nail on the head to some degree. Why fly thousnds of miles to play a meaningless friendly against the ankle biters of CONCACAF who play much like MLS, styled like Bolton against Stoke.

A good parralell would be Beckman with the Galaxy. How does a guy who can play in Spain & with the English Nats and contribute be such a load of crap in MLS? It's hard to pass a good through ball if the reciever hasn't a clue as to what you plan to do or what to do with the ball if he happens to stumble onto it.

I think, health permitting, Demps & Donovan will surprise a lot of folks in SA. I suggest you English get Smalling up to snuff so that you can get Terry off the pitch. ;D
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

timmyg

I disagree with the beckham parallel. That man is an empty suit that wanted a quick million. and when things didn't go to plan he PAID to leave LA.

Although Bellamy is a mug, I think his situation with Wales is similar -- They're beyond it.

And so ignorant yank fans think Dempsey sucks.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

BarryP

Two words explain why many fans of the USMNT don't understand Clint's importance to the team - Landon Donovan.

I am not knocking LD but he has been painted as the face of US soccer for so long that I think too many people expect a "good soccer player" to play the way Donovan does.  If you have been told over and over that Donovan is the best outfield player the US has ever produced and you don't follow soccer other than the USMNT it would be easy to believe that if you are not playing the game the way Donovan does you are not playing it correctly. 

My fellow Americans tendency to value athleticism over skill has created some perception problems for Dempsey with USMNT fans. Dempsey and Donvan are far from the same types of players and if you try to compare them it is difficult to do.  Donovan is a high motor, high work rate, pacey player that seems to never stop running and never stop working.  I believe his fitness levels are better than any US player I have ever watched before.  Dempsey's game is more about working in tight spaces, creating opportunities with his technical skills and recognizing opportunities to put himself into good positions for other players to find him.  He closes down well and plays his position intelligently but he does not now nor has he ever shown the work rate that Dononvan has throughout his playing time with the USMNT. I think Donovan and Dempsey both do a good job of using their natural abilities to perform at a high level but if you can't appreciate that their skill sets are entirely different you will sell one of them short.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Logicalman

Barry,
I think you still sell Demps short when talking of he and LD in the same way. I have not liked LD since I first saw him play, imho he is a Prima Donna, though should he have managed to break into the Prem years ago, it might have been different. He does run a lot, and work hard, but for all that, he still cannot match Demps for pure skill on both ball control and, as you mention, working in tight spaces.

LD is a product of the MLS-machine. I do hope he does well with the Toffees, and he stays through the tougher times without running back to the comfort of his MLS protectors.

Demps on the other hand, is a product of someone with natural skill and vision. He has never needed the media hype - in fact he almost turns away from it which also adds to the reasons why the main US fan  contingent might not have him in mind so much, and had preferred to let his game-play do his talking.

I may be slated for this, but I firmly believe that if Demps carries on the way he does, he will be up there in the McGod lore for Fulham faithfull in time, and then the US fans will finally understand the difference between real game skills, and show skills.

Logicalman

Quote from: timmyg on January 28, 2010, 03:14:37 AM
I disagree with the beckham parallel. That man is an empty suit that wanted a quick million. and when things didn't go to plan he PAID to leave LA.

Although Bellamy is a mug, I think his situation with Wales is similar -- They're beyond it.

And so ignorant yank fans think Dempsey sucks.

I think the Beckham media machine is exactly what the MLS wanted, and got. It was never about ability to play football, it was all to do with generating cash for the MLS masters. Both sides got what they wanted, though I would say that Becks got less than the MLS inasmuch that he was slated on both sides of the pond for his mercenary conduct, and once he realized that, he was off again asap.