more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (05/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 05, 2012, 06:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol: No Liverpool contact over Dempsey
Liverpool transfer news: Fulham forward Clint Dempsey will be offered a deal to stay at Craven Cottage

Fulham manager Martin Jol insists Liverpool haven't made an approach for Clint Dempsey, according to the Fulham Chronicle.

The 29-year-old USA international forward has been heavily linked with a move away from Craven Cottage this summer, as the in-demand star enters the final 12 months of his contract.

Speculation about Dempsey's long-term future has been rife in recent weeks, and after Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner spoke of his admiration for the Cottagers ace earlier this week, further reports surfaced linking him with a summer switch to Anfield.

However, Jol is adamant that there has been no contact with Reds boss Kenny Dalglish, who is expected to be busy in the transfer market again this summer.

"We talked to him and hopefully he will sign the contract to keep him here for the next three years," explained the Fulham boss.

"If not, then he's still our player because there's not one club who has made an approach for him.

"Of course, it's nice that people are positive about him. I'm very positive about a lot of Liverpool players but that doesn't mean I can afford to buy them."

Liverpool are in Wembley action again this weekend when they take on Chelsea in tomorrow's FA Cup final, while Fulham host Sunderland in the Premier League the following day.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/jol-no-liverpool-contact-over-dempsey?

WhiteJC

Squad sheets: Fulham v Sunderland

Both Fulham and Sunderland will be looking for the three points that would virtually guarantee a top-10 finish but the form of these teams could not be more different. The hosts have taken 13 points from their last six Premier League games, including a first ever win at Anfield in midweek. By contrast, Martin O'Neill's side have not had a victory since 24 March and are playing very much like a side with one eye on their summer holidays. For the visitors, John O'Shea and Nicklas Bendtner face late fitness tests on their respective injuries. Rich Flower

Venue Craven Cottage, Sunday 2pm

Tickets £30-40 (0843 208 1234 )

Last season Fulham 0 Sunderland 0

Referee Martin Atkinson

This season's matches 25 Y86, R9, 3.80 cards per game

Odds Fulham 10-11 Sunderland 18-5 Draw 13-5

Fulham v Sunderland: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Photograph: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Stockdale, Baird, Orlando Sá, Kasami, Senderos, Gecov, Etuhu, Frei, Briggs, Kacaniklic, Trotta, Halliche

Doubtful Kelly (wrist)

Injured Davies (hip, Aug), Etheridge (wrist, Aug), Grygera (knee, Aug), Johnson (groin, Aug), Ruiz (foot, Aug), Sidwell (hernia, Aug)

Suspended None

Form guide WLWDWW

Disciplinary record Y52 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 16

Sunderland

Subs from Mignolet, Westwood, Ji, Bridge, Kilgallon, Kyrgiakos, Vaughan, Meyler, Campbell, Lynch, Bramble

Doubtful Bendtner (foot), Bramble (calf), O'Shea (foot)

Injured Brown (knee, Aug), Larsson (groin, Aug), Richardson (groin, Aug), Wickham (ankle, unknown)

Suspended None

Form guide DDDLDD

Disciplinary record Y58 R3

Leading scorer Bendtner 8

Match pointers

• The last three league games between these sides at Craven Cottage have produced a total of just one goal

• If selected, Phil Bardsley will be making his 150th appearance in the top flight

• If Fulham win their last two games they will set their highest ever Premier League points total, beating their previous best of 53 set in 2008-09

• Sunderland have blocked more opposition shots (174) than any other side

• Fulham are the only team in the division not to have had a player sent off this season – although Jack Rodwell's red card for Everton against Liverpool has been rescinded

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/04/squad-sheets-fulham-sunderland?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sunderland: Match Preview

Fulham v Sunderland; Craven Cottage; Premier League; Sunday 6 May 2012, 14:00 KO

Team News

Fulham will have Martin Jol back in the dugout to instruct them against Sunderland on Sunday. Jol missed games against Everton and Liverpool because of a chest infection.

Striker Andy Johnson is a doubt for the Cottagers, after suffering a recurrence of a thigh problem.

Meanwhile, Martin O'Neill has more to worry about as Nicklas Bendtner and John O'Shea are major doubts, because of foot injuries that both players picked up during training this week.

Midfielder Craig Gardner is available again for Sunderland, after serving a one-match ban, but Titus Bramble is more likely to miss out since he is not fully fit.Jol plots winning return

Martin Jol hopes that his return will be accompanied by a Fulham win.

"I'm feeling much better but it took longer (to recover) than I thought," he told reporters in his pre-match press conference.

The Dutchman is urging his players to build on Tuesday's unexpected win at Anfield and eventually overcome the 50 point mark.

"We want to end the season in the top ten and hopefully, because we do well at home, we can get the 50 points we want this weekend. I think we're in a fantastic position to get even more points on the board."

At the moment, Fulham rests in ninth position with 49 points, and a win will propel them above Liverpool.

"If we can get six points from our last two games we would finish on 55 points. This season we've played in Europe so to finish with 50 points or more would be fantastic," he added.

Sunderland are trailing Fulham in 11th place with 45 points. With only 4 points and West Brom between them, they will try to close the gap on Fulham.

While Jol was stating his reasons for winning the game, O'Neill was outlining his own, urging his players to gather some late-season momentum.

"Momentum at the end of the season doesn't necessarily account for next year, but it's better to head off having won the last couple of games than having lost them," the Black Cats boss told reporters.

Sunderland have drawn five of their last six games, but a finish in the top ten would be moral-boosting for the club.

"Maybe 25 years ago this game would be considered an end-of-season event, but having so much money at stake for each position attaches a great deal of importance to the games," O'Neill added.

Sunderland scored only once in seven games against Fulham, who are showing really good form, and O'Neill expects it to be a really hard test.

"Craven Cottage is a great ground with its own history - is absolutely fantastic. I am hoping it will be a decent game and that we will go there and be as competitive as we possibly can be."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-v-sunderland-match-preview?

WhiteJC

Jol reiterates Dempsey desire
Fulham boss wants coveted American to stay at Craven Cottage

Clint Dempsey: Martin Jol would like to keep hold of the free-scoring ace

Fulham manager Martin Jol remains hopeful Clint Dempsey will sign a new deal at Craven Cottage despite speculation linking the American with Liverpool.

The 29-year-old has scored 22 goals this season and is one of the main reasons the west Londoners are sitting ninth in the Premier League.

Such form, coupled with the fact his contract expires next summer, has seen Dempsey linked with a number of clubs from across Europe.

Liverpool have been mooted as a potential destination and such speculation was stoked by Reds chairman Tom Werner, who on Thursday expressed his admiration for the United States international.

However, Jol insists he has no intention of letting the attacking midfielder leave and hopes to instead sign him up to a new deal.

"As you know we talked to him and hopefully he will sign a contract to keep him here for the next three years," the Dutchman said, speaking ahead of Sunday's clash with Sunderland.
"If not, he's still our player because there is no club that has made an approach for him. Of course it's nice if they are positive about him.

"I'm very positive about a few Liverpool players because I like them a lot but it doesn't mean we can afford to buy them."

Asked if Werner's comments bothered him, Jol added: "If a manager does that it's different because it's a tap-up but if it's an owner, he probably doesn't know about the rules and agreements. I'm not bothered about it."

Pogrebnyak hope

Dempsey is one of a number of players Fulham are currently in negotiations with and Jol revealed that in the "next week or so" they hope to finalise a deal with Pavel Pogrebnyak to keep him past the summer.

The Russia international's arrival from Stuttgart during the January transfer window coincided with an upturn in fortunes by the banks of Thames.

The Cottagers' impressive run has catapulted them up the table and saw them secure a first league win at Anfield on Tuesday, with Martin Skrtel's own goal proving decisive.

Jol missed the 1-0 win against Liverpool with a chest infection that also ruled him out of last weekend's defeat at Everton, but, while sounding hoarse, insists he is feeling better.

"It took a bit longer than I thought," he said.

"I had quite an infection in my chest and was not allowed to travel. It was quite contagious as well but I feel better now.

"Tuesday night I had my computer and television so I had two screens and I saw the match. I kept in touch with the staff and players.

"We had to celebrate at home instead of at the stadium. I was on antibiotics so I couldn't drink."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7731261/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol plays down speculation linking Fulham's Clint Dempsey with Liverpool transfer

Fulham manager Martin Jol today dismissed speculation linking Clint Dempsey with a move to Liverpool and remains hopeful the American will sign a new deal at Craven Cottage.

The 29-year-old has scored 22 goals this season and is one of the main reasons the west Londoners are sitting ninth in the Barclays Premier League.

Such form, coupled with the fact his contract expires next summer, has seen Dempsey linked with a number of clubs from across Europe.

Liverpool have been mooted as a potential destination and such speculation was stoked by Reds chairman Tom Werner, who yesterday expressed his admiration for the United States international.

However, Jol insists he has no intention of letting the attacking midfielder leave and hopes to instead sign him up to a new deal.

"As you know we talked to him and hopefully he will sign a contract to keep him here for the next three years," the Dutchman said, speaking ahead of Sunday's clash with Sunderland.

"If not, he's still our player because there is no club that has made an approach for him. Of course it's nice if they are positive about him.

"I'm very positive about a few Liverpool players because I like them a lot but it doesn't mean we can afford to buy them."

Asked if Werner's comments bothered him, Jol added: "If a manager does that it's different because it's a tap-up but if it's an owner, he probably doesn't know about the rules and agreements. I'm not bothered about it."

Dempsey is one of a number of players Fulham are currently in negotiations with and Jol revealed that in the "next week or so" they hope to finalise a deal with Pavel Pogrebnyak to keep him past the summer.

The Russia international's arrival from Stuttgart during the January transfer window coincided with an upturn in fortunes by the banks of Thames.

The Cottagers' impressive run has catapulted them up the table and saw them secure a first league win at Anfield on Tuesday, with Martin Skrtel's own goal proving decisive.

Jol missed the 1-0 win against Liverpool with a chest infection that also ruled him out of last weekend's defeat at Everton, but, while sounding hoarse, insists he is feeling better.

"It took a bit longer than I thought," he said.

"I had quite an infection in my chest and was not allowed to travel. It was quite contagious as well but I feel better now.

"Tuesday night I had my computer and television so I had two screens and I saw the match. I kept in touch with the staff and players.

"We had to celebrate at home instead of at the stadium. I was on antibiotics so I couldn't drink."

The victory came hours after former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson was unveiled as the new England boss.

Reports today emanated suggesting Hodgson wants to bring the Whites' head of coaching, Ray Lewington, in as part of his backroom staff, initially to help at Euro 2012.

On the speculation, Jol said: "We haven't (got any news on that) but, as you know, he worked with Ray before when he was at this club.

"I imagine they built a very good combination so it is not unthinkable that he will ask him to do something at the European Championship.

"It would be great for the club and for Ray to do a tournament.

"It is not a couple of years, it is a couple of weeks and I think he would love to do it and for us it wouldn't be a problem for us."

Asked whether his stance would change if it was a longer-term role, he added: "We haven't heard of it so I can't tell you.

"If they do get in touch with us, we would be positive about it if it was a few weeks.

"If it was longer, then you get a different conversation."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/martin-jol-plays-down-speculation-linking-fulhams-clint-dempsey-with-liverpool-transfer-7715553.html?

WhiteJC

Lewington Announcement

Fulham FC can confirm, that following an approach from The Football Association, Ray Lewington will join the recently appointed England Manager, Roy Hodgson as his assistant.

Ray will join the England camp at the end of the current Premier League season, and remain with them for the duration of this summer's European competition.

We wish Ray, Roy and of course the England Team every success.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/LewingtonAnnouncement.aspx?#ixzz1tyCi6WAj

WhiteJC

Come in No 2: Lewington joins Hodgson for England's Euro 2012 campaign

Roy Hodgson has secured the services of Ray Lewington as his assistant for this summer's European Championship.

The new England manager formed a successful partnership with Fulham over three years, guiding them to an unlikely Europa League final in 2010, and Sportsmail revealed this week that Lewington was top of the FA's list to join Hodgson.

Fulham chairman Mohammed Al Fayed agreed to release the 55-year-old for the Euros, although Lewington will remain head of youth development at Fulham.

All smiles: Lewington will join England's coaching staff for Euro 2012

Steve McClaren had a similar arrangement when he was assistant to England boss Sven Goran Eriksson while remaining manager of Middlesbrough.

A statement issued by the FA read: 'The FA and Fulham Football Club can confirm that Ray Lewington will join Roy Hodgson's England coaching staff at the end of the Premier League season to work with the team during the European Championship.'

Hodgson said: 'I'm delighted that Fulham have agreed to Ray joining the England coaching staff for the summer. I know Ray well and enjoyed working with him at Craven Cottage.

Getting his team in place: Hodgson is finalising the rest of his backroom team after confirming Lewington

'He's a very good coach and the players will I'm sure enjoy working with him.

'We're currently finalising the rest of the coaching staff but it's great to have Ray confirmed.

'I'd like to thank Fulham for agreeing to this.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2139707/Ray-Lewington-joins-Roy-Hodgsons-England-Euro-2012.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's Lewington joins Hodgson for EUROs

England manager Roy Hodgson will be joined by Fulham coach Ray Lewington for the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, the Football Association confirmed Friday.

Lewington had been tipped to join former Craven Cottage coach Hodgson during the summer and now Fulham and the FA have agreed a deal for them to renew a working relationship they had at club level.

A statement issued by the FA read: "The FA and Fulham Football Club can confirm that Ray Lewington will join Roy Hodgson's England coaching staff at the end of the Premier League season to work with the team during the European Championship."

Hodgson said: "I'm delighted that Fulham have agreed to Ray joining the England coaching staff for the summer. I know Ray well and enjoyed working with him at Craven Cottage. He's a very good coach and the players will I'm sure enjoy working with him. We're currently finalising the rest of the coaching staff but it's great to have Ray confirmed. I'd like to thank Fulham for agreeing to this."

The FA and Fulham Football Club can confirm that Ray Lewington will join Roy Hodgson's England coaching staff at the end of the Premier League season to work with the team during the European Championship.
The Football Association statement

Lewington will return to Fulham in time for next season. Earlier Friday, former England coach Fabio Capello warned Hodgson he will struggle to create a "winning mentality" in the short window before he leads England into the UEFA EURO 2012.

West Bromwich Albion manager Hodgson was confirmed as the successor to Capello on Tuesday, with England's opening game of the European Championships against France on 11 June just under six weeks away. Although Hodgson has experience of international management having already taken Switzerland to the 1994 FIFA World Cup™, Capello believes the 64-year-old will find his new assignment with England difficult.

"As a club manager, you are a manager. As a national team manager, you are a selector," Capello told The Times newspaper. "You cannot work with and get the best out of the players all of the time because some are injured, some are not in a top moment, some are unhappy with their club's position, some have a problem with their manager. It's not a normal job. It's difficult to create something. You can't do something in a short space of time."

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1625756.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL ISSUES CLINT DEMPSEY HANDS-OFF WARNING

MARTIN JOL yesterday issued a hands-off warning to Liverpool over Fulham's USA striker Clint Dempsey.

Tom Werner – the chairman of the Reds – and their owners, the Fenway Sports Group, said this week that "any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad."

But Fulham manager Jol says Liverpool should forget any plans to go for the forward.

Jol said: "If a manager does that it's different because it's a tap-up. But if it's an owner, he probably doesn't know about the rules. I'm not bothered about it.

"It's nice if Liverpool are positive about him.

"I'm fairly positive about a few Liverpool players, but it doesn't mean we can afford to buy them."

Dempsey has one year left on his Craven Cottage contract and Jol wants to make the 22-goal man an offer he can't refuse.

"Hopefully he will sign a contract for the next three years," he said.

"If not, he's still our player, because no club has made an approach for him.

"He scores goals, which is unusual for a wide player. Usually they provide assists but Clint does both.

"When I first came people told me, 'He's not a No.9'.

"But I played him as a No.9 and he still scored goals. We've even played him in midfield so he's very versatile."

Fulham face Sunderland tomorrow, in their last home game of the season.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/249603/Martin-Jol-issues-Clint-Dempsey-hands-off-warning/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool to buy Dempsey to banish Carroll

Is Fulham forward Clint Dempsey going to be the one who ends Andy Carroll's Liverpool career.

The news from Anfield seems to be that time has indeed run out for Carroll, one of the costliest footballer's of all time, and several replacements are being lined up.

However, for manager Kenny Dalglish, Fulham's Dempsey might be the one.

The American has scored 22 goals in all competitions for Craven Cottage,.

The Anfield club's co-owner Tom Werner was quoted as saying in The Daily Mail: "We never talk publicly about our transfer targets, however, any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey playing on their squad."

Dalglish will be given funds to strengthen his squad after a disastrous league campaign that has seen Liverpool risk dropping out of the top 10.

Liverpool play Chelsea in the FA Cup final on Saturday having beaten Cardiff on penalties to win the Carling Cup at Wembley in February.

Among the club's other transfer targets is Montpellier's Moroccan international Younes Belhanda, another player also on Arsenal's radar.

Liverpool could face competition for Dempsey's signature from Arsenal as well.

Liverpool, Chelsea misfits eye FA Cup glory

The FA Cup final could witness a battle of the misfits on Saturday as Andy Carroll and Fernando Torres look for Wembley redemption after enduring seasons to forget at Liverpool and Chelsea.

Carroll and Torres became entwined in one of the most dramatic transfer deals in history last year, when Torres's £50 million ($80m) exit from Liverpool to Chelsea triggered Carroll's £35 million departure from Newcastle United to Anfield.

Yet the dizzying price tags have appeared to weigh heavily on both strikers ever since that frenzied finale to the transfer window, with both suffering protracted scoring slumps with their new clubs.

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/football/liverpool-to-buy-dempsey-to-banish-carroll-2012-05-04-1.457162

WhiteJC

Fulham boss unconcered by Liverpool chairman's comments about talisman

Martin Jol is hoping to keep star player Clint Dempsey

Fulham boss Martin Jol has rebuffed rumours linking star player Clint Dempsey with a move to Liverpool, insisting that talks were ongoing over a new contract.

The Whites talisman has scored 22 goals in 44 games this campaign and has been linked with a move to a bigger club.

Dempsey's current deal expires at the end of next season and the Reds are a number of clubs thought to be keen on the American.

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner said that any team would be lucky to have Clint Dempsey in their squad but the Fulham boss was unconcerned by these comments.

"If a manager does that it's different because it's a tap-up but if it's an owner, he probably doesn't know about the rules and agreements. I'm not bothered about it," Jol added.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_unconcered_by_liverpool_chairman_s_comments_about_talisman_1_1369659?

WhiteJC

Fulham coach Ray Lewington to join England staff

Roy Hodgson has picked one of his coaches for Euro 2012

New England manager Roy Hodgson has made his first appointment to his back room staff ahead of the European Championships in the summer.

Fulham assistant coach Ray Lewington will join the coaching staff for Euro 2012.

"I'm delighted that Fulham have agreed to Ray joining the England coaching staff for the summer. I know Ray well and enjoyed working with him at Craven Cottage," Hodgson said.

"He's a very good coach and the players will I'm sure enjoy working with him.

"We're currently finalising the rest of the coaching staff but it's great to have Ray confirmed.

"I'd like to thank Fulham for agreeing to this."

Lewington has managed the Whites, Brentford, Crystal Palace and Watford and worked with Hodgson during his time at Craven Cottage.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_coach_ray_lewington_to_join_england_staff_1_1369660?

WhiteJC

FM Preview: Fulham v Sunderland 06 May 2012

The game between Fulham and Sunderland in the Premier League on 6th May 2012 at 14:00 takes centre stage for FootyMad's preview analysis.

Fulham prepare to entertain Sunderland at Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon,

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Craven Cottage was just last season, in December 2010, when they played out a goalless draw in a Premier League match.

Recent encounters between the teams
Season   Date   Team   Result   Team   Comp
2011/2012   Sat 19 Nov   Sunderland   0 - 0   Fulham   Premier League
2010/2011   Sat 30 Apr   Sunderland   0 - 3   Fulham   Premier League
2010/2011   Sat 11 Dec   Fulham   0-0   Sunderland   Premier League
2009/2010   Sun 28 Feb   Sunderland   0 - 0   Fulham   Premier League
2009/2010   Sun 06 Dec   Fulham   1 - 0   Sunderland   Premier League
2008/2009   Tue 27 Jan   Sunderland   1 - 0   Fulham   Premier League
2008/2009   Sat 18 Oct   Fulham   0 - 0   Sunderland   Premier League

Recent respective form guides
Fulham have lost just once in their last six home games, winning four and drawing the other one. A total of 12 goals have been scored by the Cottagers in those games, with 7 conceded.

In complete contrast to Fulham, Sunderland are having a torrid time on their travels, collecting just 4 draws from the last six contests. While the Black Cats have hit 5 goals, 11 have hit the back of the wrong net.

Fulham's 49 points from 36 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 9th position.

Sunderland see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 45 points from their 36 games played so far,
Current overall team form
Team   P   W   D   L   F   A   P
Fulham   6   4   1   1   9   7   13
Sunderland   6   0   5   1   5   9   5

FootyMad's prediction ...
Fulham may be coming up against a decent side in Sunderland, but we do believe that its going to result in a narrow home win for the Cottagers. Home Win

Sequence statistics
Team   Sequences
Fulham   Unbeaten in the last 3 home games.
Not drawn a match in their last 3 .
Sunderland   Not won in previous 7 away matches.
Drawn each of the last 3 games.
No win in the 7 most recent games.

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_fulham_v_sunderland_06_may_2012_743199/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Why Roy Hodgson's right for England
by DAN on MAY 5, 2012

The England manager's job is one of those jobs that everyone thinks they can do. What's great about football is that it brings people together – and everyone has an opinion. The rise of the internet and an insatiable appetite for comment that has existed since tabloid football hacks lowered the standard of punditry to the gutter means that almost everyone who wants to do can now broadcast their view. The commentariat have been out in force over the past week decrying the decision to appoint Roy Hodgson, who needs no introduction to regular readers of these pages, as Fabio Capello's successor – thereby derailing the Harry-for-England bandwagon. They are wrong, though, and here's why.

Roy Hodgson's international record made him the stand-out English candidate. Once the Football Association bowed to the jingoistic urges of the country and went public with their desire to name an Englishman as the next national team coach, there was a shortage of credible names in the frame. Newcomers to international management quickly get found out (something England fans don't need reminding about after seeing how swiftly the likes of Keegan, McLaren and Capello himself got into difficulty). The eve of a major tournament, with organisational uncertainty having been wafting around the corridors of Soho Square for a while, is no time for a novice. Hodgson's experience of making unfashionable nations better sides in double quick time means he fits the bill.

Take, for instance, his remarkable success with Switzerland. Hodgson took the national team to the 1994 World Cup, their first championship finals since since 1966, qualifying from a group that included Portugal and Italy, taking four points off Arrigo Sachi's Azzuri (who went on to reach the final of the tournament, remember) in the process. He wasn't finished there. Once they got to the States, the Swiss reached the last sixteen, where they were unfortunate to be eliminated by Spain on penalties. They eased to qualification for Euro '96, with Hodgson leaving before the finals in England to take over permanently at Internazionale, and were ranked the third best side in the world. More than a decade later, he almost guided Finland to Euro 2008 and masterminded their rise to a record-high 33rd place in FIFA's international rankings.

Unusually for an English coach, Hodgson cut his teeth on the continent and won't be flummoxed by facing the different tactical approaches of foreign nations. He's managed sixteen different sides in eight countries winning six league titles. He revels in the tactical minutiae of football, having been a regular member of UEFA's Technical Support Group and wrote many of the coaching manuals that have helped some of Europe's best young minds get to grips with how you set up a winning side. Hodgson's thoughtful approach to management won't endear him to bloke who things you should bash in the box, but it is more likely to bring reward that a mere motivator. Of course, his thoughts on formations and how to win tight games – cribbed directly from UEFA's website – flew right over the heads of the Daily Mail's readers.

Hodgson's also a realist. Like the very best father figures, he'll sit you down and explain patiently why it's best not to get too carried away, which is something we should be doing about this time of year every time England reach a major tournament. For all the bluster about the golden generation, we've not reached a quarter final since 2006. It's about time people realised that we're no longer a leading light of the world game. The Football Association deserve credit for making a considered, long-term appointment that, should their internal structures be reformed correctly, could deliver a lasting legacy beyond the senior England side. Hodgson loves nothing more than coaxing a little extra out of talented players on the training field. With Burton finally close to completion, you can imagine him spending hours passing on tips to the country's best youngsters. He'll wholeheartedly endorse Trevor Brooking's blueprint for youth development.

There's been criticism of Hodgson's brand of football but it's remarkably simplistic. If England try to transfer the frenzied pace of the Premier League on the international stage or copy the Barcelona model, they'll come home with their tails between their legs. I'm sick of poorly organised, defensively-suspect England sides being a perennial disappointment. Hodgson, whom the nation woke up to in a big way when he was a BBC pundit at the World Cup shortly after masterminding Fulham's fine run to Hamburg, will drill defensive shape into even the most disbelieving prima donna and he'll quickly dispense with those who don't toe the line. Ask Jimmy Bullard.

What's worried me has been the almost casual casting aside of his club record by supposedly serious journalists. Gabriele Marcotti, who was featuring on Talksport's phone-ins for years, before suddenly being promoted as the cultured continental thinker who could tell the English how to do things better ventured this laughable assertion about Hodgson's Fulham side when asked for a comment by the Beeb:

Personally, my reservations would be about his ability to judge players from a distance. At Fulham, with the exception of Brede Hangeland, they were mainly players he'd inherited. It was almost like they did well despite his signings.

It's almost comical that the Times' signature football columnist doesn't know that Hodgson reshaped a doomed Fulham side after pulling off the most miraculous of escapes from relegation. The players he didn't inherit included Mark Schwarzer, Stephen Kelly, Damien Duff, Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora, all of whom played pivotal roles in the European run that convinced the country of his birth to give this throwback to football's good old days a second look. For Mr. Marcotti's benefit and everyone else's enjoyment, here's a look at Hodgson's best bits from Craven Cottage, with thanks to the brilliant Billy Murphy from Acquiesce Productions:

I'm afraid I can't end without mentioning the disgraceful front page splash of the newspaper that shall not be named. For a company that had just been savaged by a legislative enquiry into serious wrong-doing, it was a staggeringly depressing error of judgement to run a front page mocking a good man's speech impediment. In the 21st century, it smacked of the bore at the bar who goes for the cheap laugh and misses with predictable regularity. Not only that, but it's this particular red top that always implores us to get behind the boys. They got off to a great start.

The press and the public might have wanted Harry, whose limitations have been laid bare for all to see in the last few months at White Hart Lane. If Hodgson's given a chance, they might just be grateful that the FA were brave. What's more, people have finally realised that you need a Craven Cottage connection to take England to success in international tournaments. For George Cohen and Bobby Robson, read Roy Hodgson. He'll even have Ray Lewington at his side for good measure. At a stroke, my interest in England has been revived. These four years should be fun.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/05/why-roy-hodgsons-right-for-england/?

WhiteJC

Fulham star offered new deal

FULHAM have opened talks with defender Stephen Kelly over a new deal at Craven Cottage.

The Irish international has made 33 appearances for the Whites this season but his contract is due to expire next month.

However, boss Martin Jol is hopeful of keeping the full-back in SW6.

He said: "We want to keep him and he wants to stay here. I always miss him when he's not there.

"It's only a matter of a longer-term or a one-year [deal]. We are tending to think to keep Stephen for more than one year."

Jol revealed Fulham are still locked in negotiations with skipper Danny Murphy and striker Andy Johnson, who are also out of contract in the summer.

Murphy has been linked with a coaching role at west London rivals QPR, while Johnson is expected to quit the Cottage for pastures new.

However, Jol has not given up hope of keeping the duo at the club.

He added: "We are talking to Danny and have already spoken to Andy. They are free agents but I feel we want to keep the players who did well."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2012/05/05/fulham-star-offered-new-deal-82029-30903735/?#ixzz1tysfxDqb

WhiteJC

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill plans to enjoy a three-point return from Fulham

Sunderland's manager Martin O'Neill loves Craven Cottage - and would love to win there!

MARTIN O'Neill plans to enjoy his day in London tomorrow – but will only be happy if he leaves the capital with all three points in the bag.

The Sunderland manager has confessed he loves going to Fulham's Craven Cottage because of its history and tradition.

"It's a great ground," he said. "Very picturesque.

"I enjoyed going there as a player, I enjoyed going there as a manager and I'm looking forward to being there tomorrow.

"It's an attractive fixture for us, but we're about the serious business of trying to win a football match we need to win to get into the top half of the table.

"We want to go there and give them a good game.

"But most of all, we want to be as competitive as we can possibly be and get the three points.

"It would be nice for us to win a game again because we've gone close several times now without getting over the finishing line.

"And with games running out, we want this to be a good weekend for ourselves and our fans and most of all, we want to come back with the victory."

O'Neill appreciates that will not be an easy task, especially with Fulham producing such a strong finish to the season and having such formidable home form.

Should Fulham beat Sunderland this weekend in their last game at Craven Cottage this season, they will have won 10 out of their 19 league games on home soil.

"Their form at home has been fantastic this season as it has been for several years and that will be the order of the day tomorrow I'm sure," said O'Neill.

"They seem to just raise their game a couple of gears when they are at Craven Cottage.

"No one is disputing Fulham are capable of beating us, but we want to go into the final game against Manchester United next weekend on a bit of a high – and that means winning this weekend.

"We want to finish the season well, look forward to a bit of a break and then come back with renewed determination.

"And in order for us to be in a positive frame of mind, we need to pick up as many points as possible from these remaining two games.

"We want to finish the season positively and that's what will be uppermost in our minds against Fulham this weekend."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-boss-martin-o-neill-plans-to-enjoy-a-three-point-return-from-fulham-1-4519070

WhiteJC

Fulham - Sunderland Preview: Cottagers chase top-eight finish as Black Cats aim to end six-game winless streak
Martin Jol will be hoping that his players can build on their 1-0 win at Liverpool by beating Martin O'Neill's men, who struggle to take maximum points from the Stadium of Light

PROBABLE LINEUPS

FULHAM
Schwarzer
Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly, J-A Riise
Frei, Murphy, Dembele, Duff
Dempsey
Pogrebnyak

SUNDERLAND
Gordon
Bardsley, O'Shea, Turner, Bridge
McClean, Cattermole, Colback, Sessegnon
Campbell, Bendtner

Fulham boss Martin Jol is unlikely to make too many changes from the side which delivered the Cottagers their first-ever victory at Anfield in midweek. The only change could be to bring Kerim Frei into the line-up in place of their other promising youngster, Alex Kacaniklic.

Pavel Pogrebnyak is again expected to lead the line with Clint Dempsey playing just off of the Russian forward. As for injuries, Zdenek Grygera (knee), Steve Sidwell (groin) and Bryan Ruiz (metatarsal) have all been ruled out of action until next season.

Martin O'Neill could hand on-loan Wayne Bridge a place in his starting line-up, meaning a reshuffle at the back, with John O'Shea moving into a centre-back position and Matthew Kilgallon dropping to the bench.

Titus Bramble is close to a return to action following a spell out with an Achilles injury and could make the bench. Wes Brown (knee), Connor Wickham (ankle), Sebastian Larsson and Kieran Richardson (both groin) all remain sidelined.

DID YOU KNOW?
Fulham sit third in the current Premier League form table, having won four, drawn one and lost one of their last six matches.

Clint Dempsey (pictured right) is the Cottagers' top scorer this season with 16 league goals so far. Dempsey can be backed at 5.50 with 188Bet to score the first goal in this match.

The reverse fixture earlier in the season at the Stadium of Light finished goalless, although the Black Cats hit the woodwork twice in the match.

The last seven matches between the two teams have only produced five goals in total; this run of games has included four goalless draws.

Sunderland have only been leading on one occasion in their last 13 league matches - against QPR.

The Black Cats' midfielder Lee Cattermole is one of three Premier League players to have received 10 yellow cards this season. The other two are Arsenal's Alex Song and Blackburn's Jason Lowe.

Martin O'Neill has lost just six of his 22 matches in charge of Sunderland but, having started his reign with a run of five wins in six games, he has now seen his team win just twice in their last 12 matches.

Sunderland currently sit 11th in the table and are targeting a top-10 finish; O'Neill has only ever finished in the bottom half of the table once in his eight seasons as a Premier League manager.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/60467/fulham-vs-sunderland/preview