watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey to Liverpool?

Started by Mr Fulham, May 07, 2012, 03:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

The American media profile of the Liverpool owners could be an attraction.

He won't get Champions League football but the sponsorship implications in the USA would be enormous.

Must depend on where Clint's priorities are.

Alan_C

I would rather he stayed but if Clint wants champions league football then I wouldn't begrudge him a move. We need to get full value out of any deal.

Realistically he wouldn't get into the midfield of the top four clubs in this country so his options are France or Germany in my mind.

Liverpool are deluded if he think they will be in the champions league during the remainder of Clints career. Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, That Lot and possibly Spurs are going to be fighting out the tops four places until one goes skint.

Clint has had an outstanding season for us playing predominantly in his ideal position of an advanced midfielder. He has been an outstanding player for Fulham but isn't irreplaceable and to be fair is unlikely to repeat his goal scoring exploits again.

mccscratch

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 07, 2012, 04:43:31 PM
Quote from: mccscratch on May 07, 2012, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: Sector9 on May 07, 2012, 04:25:03 PM
Plus he is on like 75k a week...

I would rather alter our wage structure to allow both Clint and Moose to earn 75k a week... and try to keep them and make 1 run at a CL place next season... people may think I am delusional but with 1 more high quality striker... we may be able to pull a Newcastle like effort off...

That is the road to bankruptcy.

As soon as you start paying certain players £75k a week, there is massive wage inflation both with new contracts for existing players and with the players coming in.

Clint is on 40k a week now... Moussa likely on 25k.... the club can simply have a clause that states that you must be with the club longer than 5 years to earn a salary over 50k per week..... nips it in the bud easy.... bump Clint to a number that keeps him with us and bump Dembele to 50
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Burt on May 07, 2012, 03:46:13 PM
Why would he want to jump ship to that bunch of under-achievers for?

Errr...money?

SoCalJoe

As long as the Gooners don't choke away 3rd place, Arse seems the most likely Prem destination. However, money talks and John Henry isn't afraid to splash it, and Clint has to know that this is his last chance to a get big payday.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

MJG

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 07, 2012, 04:43:31 PM
Quote from: mccscratch on May 07, 2012, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: Sector9 on May 07, 2012, 04:25:03 PM
Plus he is on like 75k a week...

I would rather alter our wage structure to allow both Clint and Moose to earn 75k a week... and try to keep them and make 1 run at a CL place next season... people may think I am delusional but with 1 more high quality striker... we may be able to pull a Newcastle like effort off...

That is the road to bankruptcy.

As soon as you start paying certain players £75k a week, there is massive wage inflation both with new contracts for existing players and with the players coming in.
could not agree more. We have a structure and if as we progress income wise we can add mire to the wages that's fine. But we do not want to live the dream with what could be a dangerous route.

PaulUMD

Clint is only leaving for a CL team.  Pool are not. 

Strap yourselves in for a lot of made up media over the next few weeks.

finnster01

Kuyt is 6/4 on Feyenoord, Ajax at 6/1 (will never happen), Hamburg is 10/1, the closest English teams are Sunderland and Newcastle at 20/1
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

mccscratch

Quote from: PaulUMD on May 07, 2012, 05:45:16 PM
Clint is only leaving for a CL team.  Pool are not. 

Strap yourselves in for a lot of made up media over the next few weeks.

So now that most are set... and knowing that Clint would not leave to a lesser league unless maybe France...

Germany
Schalke, Dortmund, Bayern Munich... Schalke the most likely, Bayern the least

Spain
Valencia, Malaga, Real Madrid, Barcelona... Valencia the most likely, Real and Barca the least

Italy
Udiense, Juve, AC Milan.... Juve the most likely AC the least

France
PSG, Lille, Montpellier.... PSG the most likely Montpellier the least...

England
Arsenal, Man City, Man U, then either Newcastle, Spurs or Chelsea... Arsenal the most likely, Man U the least....

So if Clint is really saying he will not leave unless for CL football... his options are limited either via who will pay for him that is in and where would he be a sure fire starter in CL games....
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

fulhaman

Dirk Kuyt is terrible I have seen liverpool a lot this season and he doesn't inspire me. Nowhere near Clint quality

Bassey the warrior

I don't believe it. I rate Kuyt but he is exactly the same as Duff so I don't think we need him here. He is also getting on a bit. Although he's never been super quick without his pace he will be a much inferior player.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on May 07, 2012, 03:31:49 PM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 07, 2012, 03:26:53 PM
Which French sources?

How much do I want get topical and suggest Hollandaise...  Get Coat gif

The little Italian place just down from Putney Station does a very good Eggs Benedict. Just saying

oh and Demps to PSG if RVP stays at Arsenal. A bloke on the train was talkng about it and sounded so sure I broke into a sweat.

TheDaddy

Quote from: Mr Fulham on May 07, 2012, 03:15:58 PM
According to french sources, Dempsey is on his way to Liverpool with Dirk Kuyt coming to Fulham as makeweight for the deal.
SPELLING MISTAKE should read french scousers..
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Basil

The thing about Dempsey going is that as much as Liverpool is not where we would like him to end up they have the massive advantage of paying huge transfer fees and once (or indeed if, and I hope he doesn't) Clint leaves we need to be bringing in quality and we have more chance of doing this with £10 million  of Liverpool's money than £7 million of Arsenal's cash. If he wants to go then all we should care about getting top £££ for him. Same is true of Mousa obviously.

As a footnote I trust Jol to invest this cash so exciting summer if they stay or not.

valdeingruo

I like Kuyt of old and we seem to bring out the best in "out to the pasture" players. Look at our current squad and say that we dont. As stated we have players in that postition and it doesnt make sense. It would break my heart to see Clint go to what that place has become. If he fits into our wage budget and things go that way then yes bring Kuyt in, but not for Clint.  I am curious as to whom Jol will let leave and bring in over the window.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

sacffc

I don't think there's any way Dempsey's going to Liverpool.  I can imagine the wheels turning in the minds of the British press -- let's ask the American owner about the American player who used to play in his town.  When he says something complimentary -- bingo, we have a headline.  The fact is that Liverpool may well finish behind Fulham in the standings, so Dempsey's stated objective of Champions League football would only be marginally more likely at Liverpool at best.   I don't think there's any way he would uproot his family to go there.  That's not to say that he won't leave, because there are other clubs with lots of money.  Just not Liverpool.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?