News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Meet The New Cardiff. Same As The Old Cardiff?

Started by White Noise, May 09, 2012, 03:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city/cardiff-city-fc/2012/05/08/the-full-story-cardiff-city-set-for-new-red-kit-and-club-emblem-91466-30926656/

The full story: Cardiff City set for new red kit and club emblem

By Paul Abbandonato, Head of Sport

May 8 2012

Comments (68)

Recommend (27)

How Cardiff City's new kit could look if the proposals go ahead

CARDIFF CITY are set to play in a new red kit next season and alter the emblem on their shirt from a bluebird to a dragon as part of wide-ranging changes at the club.

Search for Football Memorabilia on eBay

The proposals are contained in a major review of the way forward for Wales' capital city club as Cardiff's Malaysian owners plan the best method to deliver Premier League football.

WalesOnline has learned the plans include:

*A new strip of red shirt (with black wash), black shorts and red socks

*THE team's away kit will become blue

*A new badge which will be in the form of a red Welsh dragon, rather than the traditional bluebird

*Malky Mackay to be strongly backed in the transfer market to deliver promotion in 2012-13

*PROPOSALS to increase the capacity of Cardiff City Stadium to 35,000

*THE building of a new state-of-the art training headquarters for the team, with two potential sites having already been earmarked in Cardiff.

We have been told that, contrary to rumours sweeping around the Welsh capital, there are NO plans to change the name of the club and NO plans to turn the seating at the stadium red.

On the contrary, the name 'Cardiff City FC' will be located above the red dragon on the new badge. There will be a form of wording as a motif underneath which has yet to be revealed. There will also be blue and yellow within the badge.

Many Bluebirds fans have understandably reacted with anger to the news that almost 100 years of tradition is to be dispensed with as the club changes colour.

But the Malaysian owners believe the new red strip, coupled with the emblem of the dragon, will bring "fusion of cultures" for the club between the Far East and Wales.

Red is the national colour of Malaysia, as well as Wales in sporting terms. The dragon is also viewed as an important symbol of Malaysia, as well as Wales.

Billionaire owner Vincent Tan plans to convert £20million he has already invested in the club into share equity. That would give him an estimated 70 per cent stake in the club.

As part of the plans he also proposes to pay off the historical Langston debt, which was once said to be as high as £24million.

The Malaysians have decided they want the future to be red because it is seen as a strong colour in the Far East associated with vibrancy, good luck and happiness.

Pic: Cardiff City wore a red away shirt in 2007

They point to the fact that Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal have been able to crack the Asian market with the sale of replica shirts, but clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester City, who play in blue, have not.

The Malyasians view this revolutionary move as a positive look to the future, rather than a negative dismissal of the club's proud heritage.

It has also been announced that Cardiff Blues are to end their lease to play at Cardiff City Stadium and move back to their old Arms Park home.

That gives the Bluebirds an opportunity to have a 'clean' stadium, which enables them to re-brand bars at the ground. They plan to engage with supporters about names, but it is possible, for example, to have 'The Phil Dwyer bar' or 'The Eddie May bar.'

The club are meeting with fans' leaders to discuss their plans in more detail. They will also hold more meetings at Board level before finalising their proposals.

Manager Mackay is said to be excited by the prospect of the transfer kitty as he looks to on this season's failure in the play-offs by trying to deliver automatic promotion next year.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city/cardiff-city-fc/2012/05/08/the-full-story-cardiff-city-set-for-new-red-kit-and-club-emblem-91466-30926656/#ixzz1uNlyL5kE

manxman

Glad im not a Cardiff fan, wouldnt be happy!
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

Mr_Moon

My housemate is a Cardiff fan and he's taking this much harder than the playoffs, which are irrelevant now. It's an absolute disgrace, who do these owners think they are? And we thought we had it bad when Al Fayed changed our crest to that Neo-Nazi emblem.

domprague

Quote from: Mr_Moon on May 09, 2012, 07:14:31 PM
My housemate is a Cardiff fan and he's taking this much harder than the playoffs, which are irrelevant now. It's an absolute disgrace, who do these owners think they are? And we thought we had it bad when Al Fayed changed our crest to that Neo-Nazi emblem.

+1
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

The Bronsons

They don't want their team to look like Chelsea. I can understand that.

ImperialWhite

As someone put it on Twitter...

...we don't want http://redbulls.com/ to be the future.

AlFayedsChequebook

I am not in support of this, but changing kits is hardly a new thing - Leeds being the most famous example.

In this case though, it does seem as though it is purely for marketing reasons, which lets face it, is never a good reason to make big changes at a club.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 10, 2012, 09:45:07 AM
I am not in support of this, but changing kits is hardly a new thing - Leeds being the most famous example.

In this case though, it does seem as though it is purely for marketing reasons, which lets face it, is never a good reason to make big changes at a club.

Crystal Palace did in the 70's. I still prefer the Glaziers in their traditional white, claret & blue.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

fulhamfan

i like the fulham badge now. modern and recognisable