watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol bigs up Kelly bigtime NOT.

Started by FatFreddysCat, May 12, 2012, 10:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Was reading a few papers (Mr White JC seems to have missed this  :038: ) and Jol was on about how this Spurs team is much better than the one he had , says something like "They have great players like Bale, Modric and Van der Vart, we had Chimbonda and Stephen kelly"  :doh:

NorthernWhite

I read that this morning Fred and it was along those lines. I thought when reading it was a strange comment to make about a current player!

alfie

I wonder if there was more to the comments than just that, journo making headlines by leaving out the rest of what was said, unfortunately we do not the full conversation, or answer.

Or maybe that IS all he said.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: alfie on May 12, 2012, 11:57:56 AM
I wonder if there was more to the comments than just that, journo making headlines by leaving out the rest of what was said, unfortunately we do not the full conversation, or answer.

It's in more than one paper Alfie, not the best way to install Kelly with confidence before the game. Or perhaps he's just making it clear he wants him out, i think there was anouther dig at Kelly a few weeks back.

Zu-Meister

or just an unusual attempt to challenge kelly

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

VicHalomsLovechild

I'd agree with Zu and see it as a bit of a dig to get Kelly ready for tomorrow. I think Kelly's been great for us this season. 

White Noise

I think many fans think Jol made the right call on Zamora but I was a bit disconcerted by his comments that he and his coaching team often do unusual things to get inside the heads of the players and motivate them. The other comments I think Fred is referring to are those Jol made recently about wanting to offer Kelly a new contract. He said something like 'it will maybe be a one year contract but could be longer' which really sounded like he was hedging his bets in terms of bringing in another right back or Grygera pulling through. He said about Kelly 'I miss him when he's not around' which sounded like he was referring to an incontinent but loveable old dog. He has certainly done nothing to praise the specific qualities Kelly brings to the team.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 12, 2012, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: alfie on May 12, 2012, 11:57:56 AM

It's in more than one paper Alfie, not the best way to install Kelly with confidence before the game. Or perhaps he's just making it clear he wants him out, i think there was anouther dig at Kelly a few weeks back.
He said that the club has entered contract talks with Kelly and that he "always misses him when he's not there."

I think many comments get twisted in his mouth and papers are well aware that he's a foreigner and ask him tricky questions to get a story...

finnster01

I think Jol could do a better job handling the press in general, but who knows what he really said? The journos will cherry pick what ever they want anyway.

At least he doesn't use the word "obviously"  in every sentence in an interview or press conference like someone else does
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimbobob

:doh: :038: :doh:
I agree with finnster and Mr Fulham: He does a terrible job expressing himself to the press most of the time. Look at his comments about our match. If you just read his words he seems to only care about Fart Spur winning the match. That would be a better result than Fulham winning. He needs to work on it but many times he is just too honest for his own good and that comes out as well.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

White Noise

Kelly hoping to stay at Fulham

Martin Jol has shown confidence in me, says Irish full-back

Last Updated: May 12, 2012 4:05pm

Stephen Kelly: Hoping to extend his stay with Fulham

Stephen Kelly believes he has done enough to secure a new deal at Fulham and will begin contract talks next week.

The Republic of Ireland international had been a peripheral figure under previous bosses Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes but has played 33 games for Martin Jol's side this season.

Jol has put all contract discussions on hold until after the Cottagers have played their final game of the Premier League season at Tottenham on Sunday.

But Kelly is keen to extend his stay at the club.

"For myself it's just been a matter of performing at my best every game and I think I've done that. I've been able to show the Fulham fans here what I am about," Kelly told Fulham's official website.

"It's been a big thing for me that Martin Jol has shown confidence in me this season.

Difficult

"Before it was stop and start, and I was only playing every couple of weeks, which made it difficult.

"But since I've been playing consistently I've really been able to show my character, and the type of player I am, and really bed myself into the team.

"That's been fantastic this season so hopefully I will carry that on for as long as I can."

Kelly is not the only priority with Jol also planning to hold talks with Danny Murphy, whose contract expires this summer, as well as complete the signing of on-loan striker Pavel Pogrebnyak.

But with Jol looking to trim down his squad, Bjorn Helge Riise appears set to leave and Andy Johnson's future at the club is far from certain.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

If Kelly was  belligerent and mouthy, would he be treated with more respect ???????

west kowloon white

He's brilliant with the press - honest,laconic and dry a sense of humour-not to everyone's taste/or you just don't get it-does go on about the Y.... too much though