https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (17/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 17, 2012, 04:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ruddy Hell!

Disappointed or what!

For once in my life I thought that the naming of an England squad for a forthcoming major finals tournament and a squad to be named by a new manager might prove favourable for Fulham Football Club, but it wasn`t to be even when that new manager was our Gentleman Roy!

I kind of hoped that Roy would reflect on his time here and maybe give Danny Murphy one last hurrah, nut that proved to be misplaced.

But then I thought that young David Stockdale who had gate-crashed the England squad earlier this season but it wasn`t to be, perhaps his inactivity, in recent months, had something to do with that.

Perhaps an ex-favourite of ours, Bobby Zamora, might have gotten into Roy`s squad, but no, his startling lack of form and progress since moving to Queens Park Ranges appears to have cost him dearly on the international front.

But never mind, at least when it all goes pear-shaped, as it will, there`ll be no witch-hunt involving any of our lads!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=282544#ixzz1v5wCPG1Q

WhiteJC

Watch Fulham's U18s win the Premier Academy League
by DAN on MAY 16, 2012

Chris wrote a very detailed report on Fulham's Under 18s winning the Premier League Academy title last weekend – and the club have now posted some highlights on the offal from the final against Blackburn Rovers:

Premier Academy League Final - Fulham 2-0 Blackburn

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/05/watch-fulhams-u18s-win-the-premier-academy-league/?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey becoming the face of American soccer

Clint Dempsey has become the face of American soccer. (AP Photo)

The wear and tear can impact both body and mind.

That's why Klinsmann, since he took over last summer, has said he is looking for those players who are willing to commit themselves to their craft and their country 24/7.

"I want players who are willing to go the extra mile," the coach has said.

In Clint Dempsey, Klinsmann has an athlete going further than any American field player ever has. There is no question now, as the road to the 2014 World Cup begins, that the face of the U.S. national team bears a bit of scruff and a scowl.

The record-setting Fulham star, who plays with an intimidating determination forged by loss -- "All the years ain't promised to you," he's said -- and during those three-hour drives to soccer practice back in his native Texas, now has the skills to match that intensity.

Dempsey, 29, will be the focal point of Klinsmann's quest to qualify the U.S. for Brazil. He is the player who must come through in the clutch and the player around whom the coach will craft offensive tactics and formation.

The U.S. has been taking soccer seriously for about 30 years now, and Dempsey is the closest thing to a world-class field player the U.S. has produced.

If the 2010 World Cup was about Landon Donovan's growth and redemption, the road to 2014 will be about whether Dempsey can get over that hump, earn his place among the sport's elite and deliver as the unquestioned leader for his country.

Dempsey's resolve already is evident. This will be his fourth consecutive summer with the U.S. Despite a groin injury that kept him out of Fulham's season finale Sunday, he expects to hook up with the national team Friday in Orlando, Fla.

There's no time for rest.

The U.S. will play exhibition matches against Scotland (May 26 in Jacksonville), Brazil (May 30 in Landover, Md.) and Canada (June 3 in Toronto) before World Cup qualifying begins vs. Antigua and Barbuda (June 8 in Tampa) and at Guatemala (June 12 in Guatemala City).

Dempsey was the only forward listed on the 16-man roster announced Tuesday. A few more frontrunners certainly will be named Sunday when Klinsmann unveils the remainder of his team, but the initial list from U.S. Soccer is slightly symbolic: Dempsey must score goals.

This season, he has proven without any doubt that he can do so. Playing largely as a midfielder at Fulham, Dempsey found the net 23 times during the 2011-12 campaign in domestic and continental competition. He is adept as a penalty-area predator and as a player who can create his own chances, and he's lethal both from long range and with his head.

Dempsey's 23 goals set a record for an American abroad and the 17 goals he scored in English Premier League play was bettered by only Robin Van Persie (Arsenal), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) and Sergio Agüero (Manchester City).

Dempsey is nearly as productive for the U.S. He scored the only goal in the Americans' historic 1-0 win at Italy in February and in the 1-0 defeat of Honduras last fall. He led the national team with five goals in 2011 and clearly is the team's top offensive threat.

Jozy Altidore, who had a breakout season at AZ Alkmaar, has the potential to score regularly at the international level. Donovan, the national team's all-time leading scorer, now is more of a linking player who creates on the counterattack and in combinations from wider positions.

The pressure will be on Dempsey to finish.

The question facing Klinsmann, then, is how to use Dempsey this summer. The coach told ESPN recently that, "Down the road, I'd like to have two strikers and have a Clint Dempsey underneath, but you also have to adjust."

Klinsmann hasn't deployed two strikers that often during his 10-game reign. More often, there's a single frontrunner leading the line with two forwards in support on the flanks, or a lone striker (likely Altidore) in front of a more fluid five-man midfield.

Klinsmann faces an interesting quandary. Dempsey has proven he's a threat from withdrawn positions and even as a playmaker, so why not put your best player in position to touch the ball as often as possible? But at the same time, Dempsey's quality near the goal is obvious. So perhaps playing him higher and closer to the target makes more sense.

The choice Klinsmann makes will have a domino effect through the rest of the team and might go a long way toward shaping the Americans' results this summer.

While Dempsey is asked to score goals for his country, the intrigue surrounding his club situation will be a constant topic of conversation. His desire to play in the UEFA Champions League after more than five years at Fulham is well known, but he also has been clear that he enjoys life at the West London club and that the pitch isn't always greener elsewhere. He hasn't signed an extension and will be a free agent next year.

Rumors about interest from the likes of Arsenal and AS Roma go a long way toward validating Dempsey's increasing stature, but there's a sense that his nationality muddies perception and that a European or Latin American player putting up those numbers for a middling EPL outfit like Fulham would be targeted by a greater number of the sport's top clubs.

He also might have been in the running for more honors. Dempsey finished fourth in the voting for England's Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award and wasn't even among the six finalists for the Professional Footballers' Association Players' Player of the Year award.

This week, The Guardian chided its readers for not naming Dempsey to the EPL's team of the season and went so far as to put his photo atop the story that unveiled the league's 11 top performers as selected by fans, even though the Texan wasn't on the list.

This summer, Dempsey can begin to cement place as both the talismanic player the U.S. national team needs and, if a move to a big club happens, as world soccer's first bona fide American star.

The World Cup qualifying campaign, which will require 16 games spread over a year-and-a-half, will have his stamp all over it. And Klinsmann, while acknowledging his star's unsurpassed commitment and skill, believes there's even more to come.

"Step by step, we're getting to where the presence of Clint Dempsey makes a huge difference," the coach said last fall. "It's a huge weapon we have in him. His vision on the field, his sharpness, his one-on-one skills, are really top class. I'm going to push him, not to be content with anything that happens in the Premier League.

"I will push him, hopefully, to another level he can get to."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2012-05-16/clint-dempsey-becoming-the-face-of-american-soccer?#ixzz1v5x7ryax

WhiteJC

The Balance Sheet

© Google Images

Value for money from following Fulham? You bet! Quite some season to reflect upon, running from June right through to last Sunday. Dunno about the players, but I'm done.

Can I begin by urging you all to revisit the posts after the opening games from last autumn. Vital Teddy felt a relegation battled loomed and a top ten finish was beyond us. Michael from Laramie was alarmed, while to a man we were falling over ourselves to damn the wisdom of partnering Senderos with Hangeland and sending Hughes out to right back. Many questioned the potency of AJ to lead the attack, expressed fears for our midfield, Riise's value to our defence, how BZ fitted into the system, and who Fulham were looking to attract in the transfer window.

All perfectly valid observations after three winless games and one solitary goal. Footballers rarely read the press - they know well enough how they've performed. Managers and coaches are for the most part a self-regarding chummy elite inside the game. Insular, instinctively on the defensive, too ready to ignore or deride terrace opinion from the gobby punters. But you have to say upon reflection - we sure as hell knew what we were talking about! The evidence is all there in the archive.

Maybe it's part of our heritage, in that we always did consider ourselves an educated and erudite football following public down at the Cottage. I'm not sure what medication I was on myself last August but the two madcap Premiership preview pieces I banged out before the big kick-off proved remarkably prescient (Premier League Unplugged). I'll never come close again to repeating the trick. If only I was picking up the kind of money Lawrenson gets for his ridiculous predictions...Check them out. Too early to embrace next season's forecast just yet, but it certainly gives one pause for thought looking back over the past campaign. Mundane it certainly was not.

Everyone at the club has expressed themselves satisfied with 52 points and 9th, although Mark somewhat flatteringly saw us sneak into 8th place, but with less points, in 2011. Certainly the football was more enjoyable, with some big wins along the way. Season ticket holders were rewarded with 10 home wins in the league, while Clint was the undoubted Player of the Season. By golly, Jamie Redknapp in the Mail had Dempsey in his Premier League team of the season, even if too many others overlooked the stature of the Texan's 23 goals. When you consider his 17 in league play from midfield was SIX better than any other EPL midfielder, you have a measure of the man. Sore groin or not, it didn't stop Clint getting straight on a plane Monday for Texas, so happy holidays and good fishin' boy - see you in July...?

That final day loss served as a timely reminder that there's work to be done behind the scenes to bring Fulham up another level. Let's hope the right recruitments are made for areas I think we all know need addressing. After a full season where professionals have to maintain such demading levels of fitness and discipline, this is the time all hit the beach for some well-earned R&R. Unless, that is you are preparing for the Euros, where Fulham have a light contingent away for once. Of course, while no Fulham man makes the England squad, we do of course have Roy and Ray in charge. Congratulations to both, and to Lew in particular, who has been a tremendously loyal, and well-liked figure at Fulham down the years. What a remarkable bonus for him in the twilight of his career to find himself closely tied in to the national team. Bravo!
I was amused on the day we had Roy's squad to mull over to also note Kenny had jetted the Atlantic to have Henry swipe the crown from his head, payback for a miserable season at Liverpool. The 'King' has no clothes, as we've been saying for months. Next coaching job, if at all, likely to be some footballing outpost like Thailand or the UAE. Now I'm suddenly charged with a new enthusiasm for England's chances with Woy at the helm, and how wonderful would his revenge be if he can coax a real return from Carroll where Kenny could not? Oh, life can deliver these sweet moments at times if we all dream hard enough.

Dreaming of a better tomorrow also remains the fate of Villa fans, another club looking for a new manager. What is it about American owners of EPL clubs? WBA also will need to think hard about who can carry on Roy's good work at the Hawthorns. After a real cliffhanger end to the season it was pleasing to see the right team lift the title, although how they put their fans through the wringer! On balance, and this may not be a universally popular sentiment, it's good to think we can anticipate two more spicy West London derbies with QPR - and another six points of course. It does save on those long trips up to the north-west. Much as I did want Rangers to take the drop, Bolton only have themselves to blame for losing from winning positions in both their final two games. As to who comes up? Now let's be honest here guys - and it's not just Fulham fans I'm sure. The whole football community SURELY is willing Ian Holloway's Blackpool on to victory in Saturday's play-off final, aren't they? There's one London derby we don't need next season!

As blogged, I did attend the Academy Final saturday, where Kit's kids went one better than last year and were crowned champions. The five who stood out are the kids we've paid good money for - Ryan Williams, the Aussie winger, Jack Grimmer, the Scottish defender, Cauley Woodrow in attack, captain Ronnie Minkwitz and the livewire winger 'Mesca.' Our reserves came 2nd in their league as I'm sure you know and Trotta was 2nd top scorer here with 15 goals, despite being out on loan at Wycombe for three months - so that's all encouraging stuff as well.

But we'll have to bide our time and wait awhile to find out how the Fulham first team shapes up over the summer. I would be surprised if there's much transfer activity over the next 6-10 weeks. Managers surely will keep an eye on the Euros for any new faces making an impact, and the only thing one can safely predict is another absurd round of frantic late dealing in the last days of August. It'll be here before you know it.

Enjoy your summer. If anything big breaks on the Fulham front, it will get blogged. I will be posting a review of David Hamilton's book 'A Fulhamish Tale' once I've finished it. Available now from www.ashwaterpress.co.uk. I've been told it's a blockbuster! twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2012/05/the_balance_sheet.php?

WhiteJC

Rhodes rage: Fulham set to beat string of rivals to Huddersfield star

Norwich, Aston Villa and West Ham are all in for the striker but he's set to join Cottagers after next week's League One play-off final

Jordan's hot stuff: Fulham are after the 40-goal Huddersfield and Scotland hitman

Fulham boss Martin Jol is poised to win the £3.5million race for Huddersfield hot- shot Jordan Rhodes – the country's top scorer.

Jol wants a new striker and is set to outbid his rivals for 22-year-old Rhodes, who has so far rattled in 40 goals for the League One club in a sensational campaign.

Rhodes stuck by the Terriers in January, despite interest from West Ham and Everton, and his goals have taken them to the promotion play-off final.

However, Rhodes is set to make his last Huddersfield appearance at Wembley on Saturday week against Sheffield United, with Premier League ­football and a lucrative deal on offer at Craven Cottage.

Hammers, Norwich and Aston Villa are also keen, but insiders reveal that Fulham are firm favourites – with Jol likely to lose Andy Johnson and possibly others in the summer.

Rhodes has demonstrated his quality at a lower level, starred on the U-21 stage and won his first senior cap for his adopted Scotland.

Huddersfield have resisted offers for Rhodes in the past, but he is heading for a holiday after the Wembley clash – and Fulham are keen to do business fast.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jordan-rhodes-set-for-fulham-move-836522

WhiteJC

Jol 'to beat Norwich, West Ham and Villa' to signing of striker

Fulham boss Martin Jol is set to beat Norwich City, West Ham and Aston Villa to the signing of Huddersfield Town striker Jordan Rhodes, according to the Daily Mirror.

Jol is tipped to sign at least one striker this summer.

Several clubs have been linked with the 22-year-old, who has netted 40 goals this season – making him the country's top scorer.

The League One play-off final against Sheffield United is expected to be Rhodes' final appearance for Huddersfield.

And it is claimed that Fulham are poised to sign him for £3.5m after making a lucrative offer.

Jol is keen to sign a forward, with Andy Johnson looking likely to leave Craven Cottage this summer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/jol-to-beat-norwich-west-ham-and-aston-villa-to-signing-of-striker/

WhiteJC

Manchester United, Sunderland and Fulham scouts among footballing faces at Huddersfield Town v MK Dons

Galpharm Stadium

MANCHESTER United were represented at Huddersfield Town's play-off second leg – along with two of the sides just relegated from the Premier League, Blackburn and Bolton.

The Scottish FA had Ricky Sbragia watching Town ace Jordan Rhodes ahead of the Under 21 game in Bulgaria.

Top-flight trio Fulham, Sunderland and Wigan had scouts in the stand, as did Championship sides Barnsley, Brighton, Burnley, Cardiff, Millwall and Watford, along with promoted Sheffield Wednesday.

Billy Dearden was checking out the League I play-off final opponents for Sheffield United.

Managers present included Bury's Ritchie Barker, Carlisle's Greg Abbott and Preston's Graham Westley.

Former Town players Lee Peltier, now with Leicester, Robbie Simpson (Oldham) and Joe Skarz (Bury) were also back to watch the game.

Anthony Pilkington, who left Town last year and has made a massive impact with Norwich City in the Premiership, was one of the pundits on Sky TV and was constantly cheered by Town fans near the Singing Section.

Also present was Yorkshire cricket captain Andrew Gale – a lifelong Town supporter – and he is clearly trying to convert Aussie batsman Phil Jaques to the blue and white stripes as he was accompanying him at the game.

Former club chairmen Terry Fisher and Graham Leslie were also in attendance and offering their support to current incumbent Dean Hoyle.

Read More http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2012/05/17/manchester-united-sunderland-and-fulham-scouts-among-footballing-faces-at-huddersfield-town-v-mk-dons-86081-30986532/?#ixzz1v8SU2uZe

WhiteJC

Fulham set to win Rhodes race as Jol closes in on £3.5m deal for Huddersfield star

Jordan Rhodes is set to cap his remarkable campaign with a £3.5million move to Fulham.

The striker has scored 40 goals for Huddersfield this season, alerting the likes of Everton, Aston Villa, Norwich and West Ham.

On fire: Jordan Rhodes is set to join Fulham after a blistering season

But Fulham boss Martin Jol is in pole position and is keen to do business after the League One play-off final at Wembley on Saturday week.

Rhodes will play for Huddersfield for the last time as they take on Sheffield United for a place in the Championship and Jol wants to tie things up before the youngster goes on holiday.

Rhodes made his Scotland debut as a substitute in a friendly against Cyprus last November.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2145680/Jordan-Rhodes-set-3-5m-Fulham-move.html#ixzz1v8SrsVfp

WhiteJC

The View From The River end of year report

"A solid season all told. Ninth place with some good football to watch has left everybody pretty satisfied"

It's all over. Joey Barton has elbowed his last victim (though the Twitter drivel from him rumbles on), Phil Jones has gurned for the last time, King Kenny has shouted at his last journalist, Chris Foy (#FoynotHoy) made his final shocking decision and Martin Fulop is probably hoping he never has to play football again. What an end to the season and somehow QPR stayed up! With the season done and dusted, the Champions League doesn't count so long as Chelsea are in it, it's time for......(drum roll please)......

The View From The River End Of Year report

What's occurred: A solid season all told. Ninth place with some good football to watch has left everybody pretty satisfied. We've been great on our day and post-Christmas have consistently picked up good results. The Pog coming in for Bobby has been a great signing and Diarra has really added something to the team. Our away form still hasn't been great although it has picked up with wins over Liverpool, Bolton and QPR. There were a few days where we weren't great (Everton away and Swansea home spring to mind) but for the most part it's been a very encouraging second half of the season 50+ points and 9th place is a good effort all round.

How's the teacher (boss) got on: The team have definitely warmed to Jol's way of playing and he is without doubt more popular with the fans than Hughes ever was. It will be very interesting to see what kind of players he can attract over the summer and who he can keep hold of...

Who passed the class: Top of the class (as ever) has got to be Clint. 50 Premier League goals is a fantastic return at a club like Fulham and 17 league goals this year has made him our top ever Premier League scorer. Diarra and the Pog both were shrewd signings in January and Moussa continued to weave his magic and is very quickly looking like the real deal in centre midfield. It's also been very encouraging to see Frei and Kacaniklic come in and make an impact. Our back three of Hangeland, Hughes and Schwarzer have been as reliable as ever and Riise has looked solid defensively and given us genuine width and drive going forward.

Who got an F: I would say Bobby but he flunked the class to go to the "ambitious" lot up the road. Whilst we've seen flashes of brilliance from Ruiz, next year is going to be an important one for him. There are also lots of loyal squad members/back up players who may not be taking their seats in class next year, principally Etuhu, Davies etc.

Grade: B+. Realistically this has been a very good year for us. We are never going to go much higher than 9th and I would be more than happy with the same again and a cup run next year. Of course if we managed to keep Dempsey and Dembele then maybe, just maybe, we could push on. But that's a question for another column, the next one in fact.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/the_view_from_the_river_end_of_year_report_1_1380460?

WhiteJC

Individual Development

Fulham's U18 side capped off another fine season last weekend as they battled to a deserved 2-0 victory over a physical Blackburn Rovers outfit at Craven Cottage to be crowned 2011/12 Premier Academy League Champions.

The reaction of the players and fans at the final whistle emphasised what winning the trophy meant to the everyone involved with the Club, and Manager Kit Symons was delighted that his team triumphed at the Cottage, especially after losing last year's Final.

"Everyone in the changing rooms afterwards, as you would imagine, was very jubilant and extremely happy, and rightly so after a good season's work," he told fulhamfc.com. "For a lot of the boys it was the second time that they'd won their league which was a great achievement to do two years running.

"They narrowly lost in the Final last season so to go and win it this year was a culmination of two years' really hard work from them and I'm thrilled they've got a trophy to show for it in the end.

"Again, I still maintain that winning leagues and trophies is not what youth football is all about because individual development is the most important thing but, individually, I think they've all developed really, really well.

"So we're delighted with the progress the players have made but also, part of that individual development is the winning mentality and if you've got enough players with this winning mentality then you can't help but win games and win cups and win leagues."

The hard work isn't over for the Academy though as they compete in the Alstatten International U19 Football Tournament in Switzerland on Friday and Saturday.

"It's a European tournament with two groups of four teams and you play each team from your group," Kit explained. "On Friday we play our three games which are 20 minutes each way and then the teams that finish first and second in the group go into the Semi-Finals, with the Final on Saturday and we then fly back on the Sunday.

"Generally when we play these European tournaments most of them are U19 so we're able to take Josh Pritchard and Marcus Bettinelli who are two of the older boys, plus Buomesca [Tue Na Bangna], so we'll have a couple of older ones but we'll be pretty young on the whole. We're used to that though and I've got no qualms going into it because of the quality in the group.

"We come back on Sunday the 20th and then the boys are all off.  They've all got their programmes to keep themselves ticking over and keep them nice and fit and in good condition and we'll crack on again in July."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/IndividualDevelopment.aspx?#ixzz1v8Th5oju

WhiteJC

Why Clint Dempsey Succeeded Under Martin Jol: Totaalvoetbal

You ever watch a medical show like House, for example? You know the part in every episode towards the end when House is running around outside or taking a shower or splashing in a fountain or playing the piano or whatever, and he just looks off into the distance, and boom, he has an epiphany that solves the medical mystery?

That's what it felt like when I was reading this interesting – if not disjointed – article on ESPN.com about Wayne Rooney (what? a soccer article on ESPN? Yeah, I was shocked too).  I got halfway down and at one point the author, Dave Winner, starts talking about a revolution in the sport.  It was the 1960′s in Holland, when Rinus Michels, Ajax and Netherlands national team coach, developed a system of play called Total Football – or as the Dutch call it, Totaalvoetbal.

Now, the theory seems a little extreme, something that would probably fail miserably if  implemented in its entirety in today's game.  It involves any player on the pitch fluidly moving into any position (aside from goalkeeper) at any time if the need arises.  Theoretically, under this system of play, nobody has permanent positions, just temporary ones depending on the current state of play.

Seems silly, right? Well, now apply it to the 2011/2012 Fulham squad.  That's where the epiphany hit me. Where has Clint Dempsey played? He's played out on the left wing, he's played alone at the front, he's been a supporting striker, he's found himself scampering down the right, and even as a true attacking midfielder.  It's this versatility that gives him his value, if not the 22 goals.

Clint Dempsey's ability to create scoring opportunities
from any position has delighted Martin Jol.

Now consider who's at the helm of the ship sailing the banks of the Thames.  Newly appointed Dutch skipper Martin Jol has released Clint full-tilt into a role where he can reach his potential.  But here's the key: he really has no defining role.  How many times have you seen on Twitter during a game someone post they saw the team's formation switch, moving players around to adapt to a changing scenario? Maybe a substitution has entered the game and caused a change of positional need? 95% of the time Clint Dempsey is involved in that switch in some capacity.

An article I found described Total Football as the following: "Total Football was a structuralist mode of play, players deriving their meaning, their significance, from their interrelationship with other players. Nothing was fixed; everything was fluid, to be negotiated on the pitch."  This is where Clint's versatility succeeds.  His ability to work with whoever happens to be on the pitch around him is evident not just at Craven Cottage but in his work with the US National Team as well, and that's why this concept fits him so well.

No doubt Martin Jol is familiar with the concept of Total Football, seeing as it was developed in his country, in his favorite league. Why do you think he continues to poach players from the Eredivisie? It's familiar to him, and he's familiar with it.

Now, I'm not preaching that Jol is taking Fulham back to the Ajax heyday of the 60′s and 70′s, that's just naiive.  What I am doing is suggesting Martin is taking a few pages from the strategies developed in his country and implementing them in conjunction with other strategies to help his players use their talents to the best of their ability.

Like any specialized tactic, you need the proper players to make it work; no strategy will be successful with just anyone.  Phil Jackson based his Hall-of-Fame career on the triangle offense, centered around Kobe Bryant, to poke holes in NBA defenses with superior ball movement.  Buddy Ryan developed the 46 defense to ravage run-first NFL offenses, with safety-turned-linebacker Doug Plank playing a key role at the back, and his jersey number the inspiration for the formation's name.

Whether he stays or goes this transfer window, Clint Dempsey would be wise to thank the Dutchman at the helm for putting him in the best possible position to succeed – by freeing him to use the entire pitch, and any position at any given moment, releasing the American's full potential.

And whatever club wins the bidding war, their manager would be wise to take a page from Martin Jol's book, and allow Clint Dempsey Total access to the role that suits him best – no role.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/05/17/why-clint-dempsey-succeeded-under-martin-jol-totaalvoetbal/?

WhiteJC

Euro 2012 at Craven Cottage

During the summer break, Craven Cottage is proud to be hosting a number of live screening events for the UEFA Euro 2012 Championships.

Tickets for these screenings are available to buy online today for just £10. Your ticket includes a complimentary beer, wine or soft drink, and a hot food item.

Choose from the following fixtures:

France v England - Monday 11th June (5pm Kick-Off)
Sweden v England - Friday 15th June (7.45pm Kick-Off)
Italy v Ireland - Monday 18th June (7.45 Kick-Off)
England v Ukraine - Tuesday 19th June (7.45pm Kick-Off)
Buy Today
If you're looking to entertain clients, celebrate a birthday or host a special event during Euro 2012 we also have a wide range of event packages available to suit. Packages start from just £35 per person. Find out more about our event packages here.   

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/Euro2012atCravenCottage.aspx?#ixzz1v8UddJ6i

WhiteJC

Younghusbands, Etheridge won't play vs Malaysia

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Men's National Football Team will be without striker Phil Younghusband, midfielder James Younghusband and first-choice goalkeeper Neil Etheridge when they take on Malaysia in a rematch on June 1 in Kuala Lumpur.

Etheridge will be working as the guest match analyst during the match coverage for ABS-CBN Sports. The goal-keeper is serving a one-match suspension meted out by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) due to "unsportsmanlike conduct" during the AFC Challenge Cup last month.

On Twitter, Etheridge said he would "prefer to be on the pitch, but I will enjoy."

The Younghusband brothers, meanwhile, will be unable to play as they have prior commitments.

"We had a commitment we couldn't get out of," Phil said.

"We won't be able to play against Malaysia, but we'll be watching the team and supporting," James added.

Last February 29 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium, the Azkals nearly pulled off an upset against Malaysia in their friendly when Filipino-German striker Denis Wolf scored on a diving header in the first half, giving the Philippines a 1-nil lead.

But the Malaysians pulled off a comeback when Ahmad Shakir Mohd Ali equalized a minute into injury time.

The Younghusband brothers will suit up for the Azkals when the play Indonesia on June 5 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium and Guam on June 12 at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/05/17/12/younghusbands-etheridge-wont-play-vs-malaysia?

WhiteJC

The Race for Rhodes!

Newspaper talk has suggested that there could be several players` leaving Craven Cottage this summer and, perhaps inevitably, several arriving.

This morning, one tabloid boldly sates that Andrew Johnson will be let go this summer and that Martin Jol is leading the race to bring a League One hot-shot to the Cottage.

Jordan Rhodes, the Huddersfield striker, has already hit 40 goals this season and with Huddersfield still participating in the play-offs that total could increase, is rated in the £3.5 million bracket and the newspaper talk suggests that Jol is leading the race to bring the striker to Fulham.

A full Scottish international, Rhodes is being tracked by other clubs, including West Ham United, Norwich City and Aston Villa.

Could Jordan Rhodes be an exciting addition to the Craven Cottage strike force?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=282624#ixzz1v8VEircx

WhiteJC

Hazard to Man City, Spurs want Foster, Dembélé off?

With at least five teams hoping their names are on the 2012/13 Premier League trophy, the business of squad strengthening is really motoring along now that the domestic season has come to a close. And with the number of transfer rumours going through the roof, the Life's A Pitch team is here to separate the wheat from the chaff, rating the rumours out of 10. Will European football's most wanted, Eden Hazard (pictured), end the frenzied speculation and confirm a move to Manchester City? Are Spurs about to sign Ben Foster, and win a three-way fight with Arsenal and Manchester United for Moussa Dembélé? Let's find out.

Breathe a collective sigh of relief because, according to the Daily Telegraph's Jason Burt, it seems that serial flirt Eden Hazard, of Lille, has finally decided which club to play for next season: Manchester City. "I think it's most likely he will go to Manchester City. City have put a huge amount of work into this deal. They've conducted a 14-month scouting mission on him, looked at every single aspect of his life, including what TV programmes he likes, what food he likes. His wage demands are ridiculous, which is the one big problem with this deal. But I think, when push comes to shove, he will join Manchester City and I give that a nine out of 10."

Now Fulham's Dembélé might not have enjoyed as many column inches as fellow Belgian, Hazard, but it would seem the race to sign him is no less fervent. Spurs appear to be at the front of the queue, says The People's Dave Kidd. "I've written myself that Man Utd and Arsenal are seriously interested, so I'm going to have to give it at least nine and half out of 10," Dave jokes. "Spurs have already bid in the past, [Harry] Redknapp's a big admirer. He's a Champions League player, he's a fantastically gifted individual. [Martin] Jol has done a very good job on him moving him back into central midfield, because he's not an out-and-out goalscorer. The guy is top class. Fulham will let him go, but it'll be for something like £15million."

It would seem Redknapp is going to be a busy man this summer with talk of a move for West Brom keeper Ben Foster also doing the rounds. "He's done wonderfully well at West Brom," explains the Guardian's Dominic Fifield. "And you look at Spurs with Brad Friedel, who's 40 plus; Heurelho Gomes isn't the answer, so they will be in the market for a player. It's just whether they can persuade Ben Foster, who clearly knows his own mind, to move from the Midlands to London. Great keeper, good future, seven out of 10."

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/laptv/hazard-to-man-city-spurs-want-foster-dembele-off/

WhiteJC

Fulham, Everton eyeing Villarreal attacker De Guzman

Wigan Athletic, Fulham and Everton are weighing up a move for Villarreal attacking midfielder Jonathan de Guzman.

The Holland international is set to be sold this summer following Villarreal's relegation and is attracting major interest from England and his homeland.

FC Twente coach Steve McClaren is chasing De Guzman, but faces competition from Everton, Wigan and Fulham.

Fulham see De Guzman as a potential replacement for Mousa Dembele, while Everton have him as an alternative to Tottenham's Steven Pienaar.

Latics boss Roberto Martinez has followed De Guzman's progress since he first moved to Spain with Real Mallorca.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-everton-eyeing-villarreal-attacker-de-guzman-3178611?utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page

WhiteJC

Diarra Extension Confirmed

The Club can confirm that midfielder Mahamadou Diarra will remain at Fulham FC until the summer of 2013.

Diarra joined Fulham in January 2012 until the end of the 2011/12 campaign with an option to extend until 2013.

The former Real Madrid midfielder made 11 appearances for Martin Jol's team during the second half of the season as Fulham claimed ninth place in the Barclays Premier League.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/DiarraConfirmed.aspx?#ixzz1v8d1gv1M

fulhaman

America newpapers love to called us a small club. At least we can say football properly. And have a much better team than all of your america league

mhatc

Quote from: fulhaman on May 17, 2012, 04:13:58 PM
America newpapers love to called us a small club. At least we can say football properly. And have a much better team than all of your america league

What the hell are you talking about? Fulham supporters, English papers, and some in the club itself have called Fulham a small club. And of course the league is better. It has been around longer, supported more, and has no competition for fans or sponsorship money.   S001.gif

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: fulhaman on May 17, 2012, 04:13:58 PM

Man, you have to get better at this trolling thing if you're ever going to make a name for yourself. Practice. Practice. Practice.  :59:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude