watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Little man syndrome

Started by Fletchino, May 16, 2012, 11:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

A couple of good friends of mine have been lifelong QPR fans, and I have to say that there is probably more similarities between our two clubs than we give credit for...

More illustrious neighbour, relatively small fish in a large London pond, not particularly fashionable, relatively small fan base drawn mainly from around the locality, not much silverware to shout about, fortunes pegged to the generosity of the owner, fans who care deeply about what happens to the club, etc. etc.

And of course both clubs have had the Sparky touch!

Mr_Moon

Quote from: SKSW6 on May 18, 2012, 12:43:12 PM

I disagree. I think after 11 years in the premiership and two stints in Europe, including a final, we can be given a little more respect than a club that survived on the last day of their first season back in the top division. We have consistently sold out our league games for the past few seasons too, compared with a club who couldn't sell out against their biggest rivals.

Right now our club is very rosy, we're in a great position and have amazing recent memories. But we're not talking about respect. Recent history doesn't count for everything though, it's just one of the many ways to measure a club (if people are even bothered about it). I don't doubt that maybe next season or in a couple of years or so that QPR will be regularly selling out their ground, after all we've been lucky not to have that ticket pricing fiasco that they had.

Chesh

Quote from: Mr_Moon on May 18, 2012, 01:28:52 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on May 18, 2012, 12:43:12 PM

I disagree. I think after 11 years in the premiership and two stints in Europe, including a final, we can be given a little more respect than a club that survived on the last day of their first season back in the top division. We have consistently sold out our league games for the past few seasons too, compared with a club who couldn't sell out against their biggest rivals.

Right now our club is very rosy, we're in a great position and have amazing recent memories. But we're not talking about respect. Recent history doesn't count for everything though, it's just one of the many ways to measure a club (if people are even bothered about it). I don't doubt that maybe next season or in a couple of years or so that QPR will be regularly selling out their ground, after all we've been lucky not to have that ticket pricing fiasco that they had.

No clued up, reasonable fan would say anything otherwise than that we are similarly sized clubs, because I agree we are.

From memory, the original poster wasn't trying to imply that we were bigger or different or anything.

The point of his post, which I agree with, is that QPR think they're something they're blatantly not.

They have a fixation, a complex even about how their support is perceived in relation to ours.

Apparently they have a far superior away following, many more 'loyal' supporters, and we are all either tourists or Tarquins (as they put it).

They are most concerned that everyone knows that they hate Chelsea more than anyone else, even though they've played Brentford on many more occasions, and are hence totally deluded!!

They also like to think that Loftus Road is akin to a trip to Galatasary or Fenerbache (excuse spelling) and seem obsessed that everyone is seen to recognise that.

Just to re-affirm IMO there are more similarities than differences between us, especially regarding fan base. 
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Mr_Moon

They probably do have a larger away following but away followings entirelly depend on how well the team is doing and pricing. We've taken thousands to Cambridge before, yet 80 to Everton in the top flight. In that respect they are deluded or just lack understanding.

When it comes to fans trying to claim their support is bigger than the next team's, it's so ridiculous.

Chesh

Quote from: Mr_Moon on May 18, 2012, 02:17:48 PM
They probably do have a larger away following but away followings entirelly depend on how well the team is doing and pricing. We've taken thousands to Cambridge before, yet 80 to Everton in the top flight. In that respect they are deluded or just lack understanding.

When it comes to fans trying to claim their support is bigger than the next team's, it's so ridiculous.

Agreed, hence why I agree with Fletchino's humorous labelling of 'little man's syndrome' - QPR are worse with this then any other set of fans I've come across.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)