more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (21/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 21, 2012, 04:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Get Jarvis!

With Wolverhampton Wanderers having been relegated, there`s a fair chance that there better players may be moved on and snapped up by Premier League clubs.

One such player is there England winger Matt Jarvis who looks set to be the subject of a £5 million bid from Fulham.

The twenty-five year old may be still under contract at Wolves but the tabloid press perceive he`d be the ideal player to provide the service Pavel Pogrebnyak needs.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=282823#ixzz1vTOmk4jc

WhiteJC

Sunderland Striker on Radar?

Another possible transfer target is taking centre stage in the tabloid press this morning.

Several of the Sunday tabloids have Fulham showing an interest in the Sunderland striker - Fraizer Campbell

It seems as if the twenty-four year is about to start the last year of his contract and there has been no movement with regards to the offering of another one.

One to watch perhaps?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=282824#ixzz1vTP3CrUc

WhiteJC

Story of our season and Cottagers Confidential Award Nominees

The promotion class of 2001 now has left just one remaining survivor and that, as a mark of success, goes further than any acclamation for the way that Fulham play or the way in which the club is run. But those two factors, of course, have a distinctive impact on the standing of our humble club and, in the season of 2011/12, we witnessed a myriad of elements that act as particularly strong signifies of a club that continues to progress.

It had its roller-coaster moments, like any season at any club, and there were damningly bleak times where it seemed as though heads would role and yet another new direction would be imposed upon us. Martin Jol, though, proved his mighty worth and steered Fulham quite admirably to 52 points - the same total as Liverpool.

In the early stages, there was significant hype in SW6. We were in Europe, yet again, and we love Europe. Visits to the Faroe Islands and Ukraine offered the fans, and Jol, a prompt look at what this squad was capable of and, although nothing excessively substantial took place, we made our way through the Europa League qualifying phases without too much bother.

The opening to the league season, however, showed a different side to Fulham. Jol didn't muster a league win until October although, it must be noted, it was done so in emphatic fashion with a 6-0 humiliation of local rivals Queens Park Rangers. Breath was already warm on Jol's neck but this gave him some quite vital breathing space.

As a distinctly ageing team juggled both Europe and domestic duties, perhaps the lowest point in Jol's debut season at Craven Cottage unfurled. Odense, who we'd beaten 2-0 away, visited London in the final game of Fulham's Europea League group and it was well documented that a victory was required to progress to the knock out stages. And, all was well, until the 93rd minute, when Djiby Fall hushed the Cottage into a sombre, shocked silence. Jol began to sweat.

With that disappointment, though, came an upturn in form and a newfangled conviction. The players appeared unified and a win over Arsenal, and an impressive defeat, by five goals to two, of Newcastle, showed as much.

Form, unfortunately, couldn't be transferred to the cup competitions as we fell at the hands of Everton in the FA Cup. The Premier League was now the prime focus and an end of season surge, which included a brief but nonetheless wonderful eradication of our away day blues, left us in a welcome ninth place.

On the whole, then, it was a season of little celebration but a lot of promise. With Jol at the helm, there is a feeling that this club is deserving of quite more than mid-table mediocrity and we could well be on the way to achieving that.

Alas, here are the Cottagers Confidential seasonal awards nominees. If you follow the link for each award you can place your votes there. The polls will close on Friday. Happy voting!

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/20/3032241/story-of-our-season-and-cottagers-confidential-award-nominees?

WhiteJC

Hughes ready for a rest
Fulham defender aiming to return for pre-season feeling fresh

Aaron Hughes: Fulham defender is ready for a well-earned break following a long season

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes has welcomed the chance to recharge his batteries at the end of another hectic season.

Martin Jol's men played 55 competitive matches in the 2011/12 season but still managed to secure a third top-half Premier League finish in four years.

The 32-year-old, the former Northern Ireland captain, appeared in 33 of those fixtures and said: "After the short summer we had last year and competing in the Europa League in June, it's nice to have a bit longer off after an extended season

"I think it's a well-earned break for everyone. It's a chance to give your body and mind a rest and take it easy for a while and switch off for a little bit.

"Obviously we've still got to take care of ourselves but it's important to come back to pre-season in July feeling fresh.

"The young players this season have done fantastically well. We've had Matthew Briggs, Kerim Frei and Alex Kacaniklic all come in and impress whenever they've been given an opportunity.

"When they start to get more experience and play more games over the next few seasons they will establish themselves because they look really good.

"There's a lot to look forward to next season and I, for one, am looking forward to coming back fresh in July ready to go again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7767329/?

WhiteJC

Fulham ready to move for Newcastle United defender

WANTED: Danny Simpson

FULHAM are ready to test Newcastle United's resolve to hold on to Danny Simpson, even though the full-back claims he would like to stay at St James' Park.

Simpson has been at loggerheads with the Newcastle hierarchy over his refusal to sign a new contract for the best part of 12 months.

Alan Pardew is reluctant to lose the 25-year-old, who was one of his first-team regulars last season, but accepts that he may to move Simpson on this summer if the current impasse is not resolved.

Simpson is about to enter the final year of his current deal, and managing director Derek Llambias does not want to find himself in a situation where the defender can leave for nothing in a year's time.

A number of Premier League clubs have been monitoring the situation closely, and Fulham are poised to turn up by the pressure by tabling a formal approach.

Martin Jol is keen to overhaul his squad this summer, and has made the acquisition of a new right-back a priority.

Stephen Kelly filled the role for the majority of the campaign, but Jol sees Simpson as an experienced and reliable campaigner capable of rivalling the Irishman for a first-team place.

The Fulham boss has been promised money to spend this summer, and his hand could be strengthened if Moussa Dembele, who has been linked with a possible move to Manchester United, leaves for a substantial fee.

Newcastle officials will not let Simpson leave on the cheap, but there is a determination not to cave in to his demands for an improved deal.

The defender has been offered around £25,000-a-week, a significant improvement on his current contract, but still a level below many of the club's more highly-paid performers.

Simpson remains hopeful a resolution can be reached, and insists he is not making unrealistic demands.

"I'm not a greedy player and I just want to be on par with the other players around me," he said. In football terms, what I'm asking for is by no means outrageous.

"I want to stay at this club and I've been saying that all season. I've recently had a baby, I'm happy here and so is my family.

"Hopefully, me and the club can find some solution. I want to stay, but if I have to move, then I will accept it and move on.

"But it's a great club with 50,000 screaming Geordies at the game every week. Why would I want to leave? There is speculation but I want to state, like I have all season, I want to stay.

"Over the last two years I've played nearly 80 games and started most of them. I'm not being greedy, this club is on the up, the manager and staff are brilliant – I want to stay."

* Chelsea's Champions League success might mean Tottenham entering next season's Europa League, but it does not affect Newcastle's standing in the competition. Subject to formal ratification later this week, the Magpies will still enter the final play-off round on August 23 and 30. They should learn the identity of their opponents at a draw on August 10.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/9716619.Fulham_ready_to_move_for_Newcastle_United_defender/?

WhiteJC

Whites 'to make formal approach' for Newcastle defender

Fulham are set to make an offer for Newcastle full-back Danny Simpson, according to the Northern Echo.

Simpson, who has also been linked with Chelsea, is entering the final year of his contract and is yet to agree a new deal at St James' Park.

It is suggested that Fulham manager Martin Jol is planning a formal approach for the 25-year-old.

Jol is keen to sign a right-back and has also been linked with the likes of Nottingham Forest defender Chris Gunter and Tottenham's Kyle Naughton.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/paper-talk/whites-to-make-formal-approach-for-newcastle-defender/

WhiteJC

Jordan Rhodes set for Fulham or Everton?

Jordan Rhodes has quite simply been a revelation for Huddersfield Town this season, he is currently coming to the end of his most prolific season yet and the twenty-two year old isn't finished yet, with the League one play-off final just around the corner Huddersfield will be hoping their free-scoring sensation will continue his current form.

Rhodes' form this season has been attracting the interest of a few premiership clubs, with the premiership season over many of the clubs are looking to strengthen in the summer and an exciting young striker is likely to be top of the shopping list for many clubs. According to the Daily Mail, Everton, Norwich City, West Ham United and Fulham are all in the mix for Jordan Rhodes.

The Daily Mail have reported that Fulham are currently the most likely to sign Rhodes, Martin Jol is keen to strengthen his side with another striker and the Scotland Under-21 international appears to be the ideal candidate.

This season Rhodes has hit three hat tricks, five braces, a four goal haul and one five goal collection before Rhodes hit his 40th goal in the semi-final of the play-off's and as a result of such a goal-laden season he could realise his dream by playing in the premiership next season.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/107734/?

WhiteJC

Road To Recovery

With the majority of the Fulham squad currently enjoying their summer breaks or preparing for various international events, Zdenek Grygera remains at Motspur Park, determined to overcome the injury which cut his season short.

The Czech defender had impressed in the handful of appearances he made in Fulham colours before suffering a cruciate ligament injury against Tottenham Hotspur in November; a rupture that limited the amount of training he could do, until now.

"I'm happy with my recovery and I feel well," Zdenek told fulhamfc.com. "I will start running again any day now so it's important that everything stays positive.

"I'll be here over the summer focusing on my recovery. I will go away for a bit of family time but I want to train and do everything possible for my recovery. I'm hoping to be fit at the end of June or the beginning of July."

Although he was understandably disappointed that he was unable to contribute to the latter part of the Whites' season, Zdenek was delighted with the form shown by his team mates as the campaign drew to a close.

"It was a great finish to the season and I think we've got a very good Team," he said. "We've got a good system and a nice blend of young and older players.

"I think we are a great Team to watch because of the way Martin Jol sets us up to play and because there are a lot of technically gifted players in the side."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/RoadToRecovery.aspx?#ixzz1vVokj4IF

WhiteJC

Mark Schwarzer, Brett Holman & the top five Australians in Europe for the 2011-12 season
Following the conclusion of the 2011-12 European league season, Goal.com has put together a list of the best performing Australians on the old continent

With no World Cups on the immediate horizon, nor the disruption of an Asian Cup, the Australian legion playing in Europe were mainly able to focus on club duties during the 2011-12 season.

While the likes of Harry Kewell, Brett Emerton, Mark Bresciano and Lucas Neill have recently finished their European careers and Tim Cahill had a down year at Everton, the latest term showed there's a new wave of talented Aussies abroad ready to keep waving the flag on foreign shores.

Indeed, from the Netherlands through to Turkey and back to the usual home of Aussies in Europe, England, there were plenty of star performers. Brett Holman had a huge role in AZ's thrilling domestic and continental campaigns, while Adam Federici and Rhys Williams both were vital cogs in their sides' pushes for promotion to England's Premier League.

In light of this, Goal.com has put together its top five Australians players in Europe for the 2011-12 season:

4. MARK SCHWARZER | Fulham, Goalkeeper, 39

2011-12 SEASON STATS
Appearances   44
Clean Sheets   17
Yellow Cards   1

PLAYER FACTS
Season highlight   Saves in draw vs Man City
Season lowlight   Late error vs Aston Villa
Date of birth   October 6, 1972

The evergreen goalkeeper endured a long campaign with the Cottagers as they came through the early qualifying rounds of the Europa League. Schwarzer continued his consistent and solid form in goal, although a spinal injury sustained in December was a setback as he missed almost two months. Schwarzer, made a few errors this term, prompting some to question him due to his age, but he continues to be an assured shot-stopper and a fine influence on a side who managed a top-10 Premier League finish.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2012/05/21/3116646/mark-schwarzer-brett-holman-the-top-five-australians-in?#

WhiteJC

Wenger in for French ace

Arsenal are reported to have entered the race to sign Fulham midfielder Moussa Dembele.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger could be ready to turn to the France midfielder as his attempts to bring in a new attacking midfielder continue to stall and he could throw in Andriy Arshavin to seal the deal.

Wenger looks certain to miss out on Lille playmaker Eden Hazard, who is out of his price range, while a move for Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila is also thought to be a non starter.

Wenger will now look to Dembele who has been a revelation for the Cottagers this season and he hopes to fight off rival clubs to land the attacking midfielder by offer the Cottagers Arshavin.

Fulham boss Martin Jol has been heavily linked with the midfielder who wants to stay in the Premier League despite returning to his former club Zenit St Petersburg on loan.

Dembele would jump at the chance to move to the Emirates Stadium and a move could be on if the two clubs can hammer out a deal.

http://www.clubcall.com/arsenal/wenger-in-for-french-ace-1431189.html?

WhiteJC

Wolves: Fulham winging in for Wolves ace Matt Jarvis

MATT Jarvis has emerged as a transfer target for Fulham boss Martin Jol.

The winger, who turns 26 tomorrow, still has three years remaining on his contract but is likely to head an exodus of players out of Molineux following the club's relegation to the Championship.

Jarvis may have lost his Player of the Season award to Wayne Hennessey last year but a strong end to the campaign won him a host of admirers.

Jol is looking to bolster Fulham's attacking options with 33-year-old Damien Duff entering the final year of his contract at Craven Cottage.

Likewise, 32-year-old Simon Davies has a year remaining on his contract. Furthermore, former Blues striker Andy Johnson is out of contract and Clint Dempsey is into his final 12 months having hinted he wants Champions League football – all the more reason for Jol to aim at prising Jarvis away from Wolves.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis tried to sign Jarvis when he was at Gillingham and is once again interested, especially with Jermaine Pennant entering the final 12 months of his contract at the Britannia Stadium.

Wolves are under no pressure to sell but it is believed they will not stand in Jarvis' way if the transfer price rises to around the £8 million mark.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolves-fc-news/2012/05/21/wolves-fulham-winging-in-for-wolves-ace-matt-jarvis-97319-31013798/?#ixzz1vVq9ET5u

WhiteJC

Azkals' Etheridge frustrated over AFC ban

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Azkals' first choice goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will miss the team's upcoming friendly against Malaysia this June 1 in Kuala Lumpur due to a ban handed down by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

Etheridge was given a one-match ban and a $3,000 fine by the AFC following the Azkals' match against Palestine last March in the AFC Challenge Cup.

Etheridge was not playing in that match, as he was serving a one-match suspension after getting booked for a red card in their semi-final game against Tajikistan.

Eduard Sacapano served as the Azkals' goal-keeper in the third place match, which they won 4-3 to wind up third in the tournament. It was the Azkals' best ever finish in the biennial competition.

While watching the match at the stands, Etheridge was adjudged to have behaved in an unsporting manner.

"The decisions, to be honest, were going against us and I felt they had been for the majority of the competition," Etheridge said."Being as passionate as I am, I said a few things in the stadium and a few comments were heard by the 4th official."

"He wasn't very happy about the comments and of course, he asked me to be quiet. I didn't argue with him, but 20 minutes into the game, you forget about that conversation and you're still shouting and being passionate about the Azkals winning, which I was," he added.

"They didn't like how I reacted."

Etheridge admitted that he cursed while watching the match, but insisted it was not aimed at anyone in particular.

"It wasn't directed to any individual at all. I just wanted the best for the national team, and I wanted us to get the third place, which we did in the end," he said.

After the Azkals beat Palestine, Etheridge ran to the pitch to celebrate, despite his suspension. He now realizes that he should not have done that, but pointed out inaccuracies in the AFC's statement issued to him.

"The statement was that I refused to come off the pitch, which, if you were there, I went off the pitch straight away and walked straight to the coach, or the bus, and they said I went straight to the changing rooms," Etheridge said.

"So there was a bit of confusion."

Despite this, Etheridge said he has accepted his punishment and will not appeal the suspension, though he admits to feeling a slight injustice.

"In all honesty, I think yes, I was hard done by. It's not about the money. It's the one-game ban for me because I love playing football. I love playing for the Azkals, the national team, wearing the Filipino flag on my shirt," he said.

"So for me, it's frustrating, watching the game from a studio instead of playing it myself. But at the same time, I understand why the AFC have done this. Whether it was to prove a point or for people to say, it doesn't matter where you come from, or where you're playing, we're going to do the same for everyone," Etheridge added.

The Azkals will also be without Phil and James Younghusband in the game against Malaysia, as the brothers had previous commitments they could not back out of.

Etheridge will be working as the guest match analyst during the match coverage for ABS-CBN Sports.

Etheridge and the Younghusband brothers will be available for the Azkals in their friendly against Indonesia on June 6 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium and against Guam on June 12 at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/05/21/12/azkals-etheridge-frustrated-over-afc-ban?

WhiteJC

Manchester United, LIverpool and Spurs target Dembele to reject Fulham deal

According to reports Mousa Dembele is set to spark a transfer rush as he considers rejecting a new contract offer at Fulham.

The Daily Mail claims Dembele is set to reject the Cottagers' new contract offer, paving the way for a summer exit.

The midfielder has a year left but Martin Jol's attempt to convince him to sign a new deal seem to have failed.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham all admire the Belgian.

http://www.click-manchester.com/sport/manchester-united/1216319-manchester-united,-liverpool-and-spurs-target-dembele-to-reject-fulham-deal.html?

WhiteJC

Grygera aims for July return as Fulham defender continues recovery from knee injury

Fulham right-back Zdenek Grygera has revealed he hopes to return to full fitness by the start of July as he continues his recovery from cruciate knee ligament damage.

The 32-year-old Czech international joined the club from Juventus last summer but made just five appearances before suffering the season-ending injury against Tottenham back in November.

Crocked: Grygera is stretchered off against Spurs in November

'I'm happy with my recovery and I feel well,' he told the club's official website.

'I will start running again any day now so it's important that everything stays positive.

'I'll be here over the summer focusing on my recovery. I will go away for a bit of family time but I want to train and do everything possible for my recovery.

'I'm hoping to be fit at the end of June or the beginning of July.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147553/Zdenek-Grygera-aims-July-return.html#ixzz1vVqyqePY

WhiteJC

Academy Round-Up

Academy Director Huw Jennings discusses Fulham U19s' participation in the Alstatten International Tournament at the weekend.

In our group we had the local team Alstatten who we beat 2-0 in the first game, in what was a fairly comfortable victory. The second game we played the Ghanaian team called Chelsea, who we beat 1-0 and we were relatively comfortable again and weren't threatened a lot but we were pleased to win because in those tight situations it's often difficult to prise the opposition open.

That meant we qualified automatically for the next stages, with a game still left to play against Club de Futbol America from Mexico. It was 1-1 and was actually the only time we conceded in the tournament. It was a good, technical game with each side kind of checking each other out, and that meant we went forward as group winners which then put us in the situation of facing Nottingham Forest in the Semi-Final.

The Semi was a tight affair but the only piece of excellence in the game was the goal we scored. It was a great ball from Josh Pritchard to release Cauley Woodrow who got down the left excellently and put in an early cross where Muamer Tankovic was waiting at the near post to stab home. That was the only goal of the game and we had to survive a couple of late scares but we secured another clean sheet.

We faced Club de Futbol America again in the Final and it was a good game, even though it was 0-0. It was an end-to-end match with the Mexicans probably shading the first half, but we definitely had the better of the second half and created the better chances. Their 'keeper made a good save from Cauley after he was put through and then, possibly the best opportunity we had, Alex Brister – who was excellent in the tournament throughout – had a far post header from a corner but the 'keeper got down to save well.

So that took us into penalties and we scored four of our five kicks. Ryan Williams was the only person who missed, even though it was a decent strike, as the 'keeper made another decent save. But the Mexicans scored all five of theirs and, funnily enough, they'd scored five in a shoot-out against the Brazilian team Palmeiras [in their Semi-Final] who probably were the strongest team there.

But it was another successful tournament for us as these experiences are really important to the development of the players. We had a smaller squad than any of the other teams there but still showed great energy and it was fantastic for the players to do as well as they did. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/AcademyRound-Up.aspx?#ixzz1vVrNbaWe

WhiteJC

Arsenal Transfer Rumors: Gunners Must Shift from Jan Vertonghen to Clint Dempsey

Scott Heavey/Getty Images

On to the next one.

Arsenal aren't going to be able to reel in the big catch they've been fishing for in Jan Vertonghen, but that doesn't mean they should pack up the worms and call it an offseason. They must simply shift their focus to an even bigger catch: Clint Dempsey.

According to Fox Sports, Tottenham made it a priority to bait Vertonghen away from the Gunners and are well on their way to accomplishing that goal. While no deal is official, Tom Collomosse of the London Evening Standard reported that if Vertonghen were to say sayonara to Ajax for an English ballclub, Tottenham are the only team that he's willing to join.

No big deal.

If the Gunners were to pull off the addition of Dempsey, it'd instantly make them forget about their loss of Vertonghen. And according to Barry Glendenning of The Guardian, Arsenal are indeed interested in the 29-year-old Team USA star.

Dempsey has played for Fulham since 2007, but the Gunners should have no problem attracting the elite goal scorer. According to Brian Straus of SportingNews, he said before the season started:

If one day I get the opportunity to play for a big club, in the Champions League, that'll be great. I'd lie if I said that wasn't a dream. At the same time, you have to make the most of where you are—it's not always greener grass on the other side.

There aren't many football players with a better combination of talent and toughness than Dempsey. That extra element of passion that he'd bring to the Gunners would be invaluable.

I wouldn't expect Arsenal to allow two stars to slip out of their grasp.

David Daniels is a featured columnist at Bleacher Report and a syndicated writer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1190294-arsenal-transfer-rumors-gunners-must-shift-from-jan-vertonghen-to-clint-dempsey?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 21, 2012, 02:56:27 PM

Wenger in for French ace

Arsenal are reported to have entered the race to sign Fulham midfielder Moussa Dembele.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger could be ready to turn to the France midfielder as his attempts to bring in a new attacking midfielder continue to stall and he could throw in Andriy Arshavin to seal the deal.

Wenger looks certain to miss out on Lille playmaker Eden Hazard, who is out of his price range, while a move for Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila is also thought to be a non starter.

Wenger will now look to Dembele who has been a revelation for the Cottagers this season and he hopes to fight off rival clubs to land the attacking midfielder by offer the Cottagers Arshavin.

Fulham boss Martin Jol has been heavily linked with the midfielder who wants to stay in the Premier League despite returning to his former club Zenit St Petersburg on loan.

Dembele would jump at the chance to move to the Emirates Stadium and a move could be on if the two clubs can hammer out a deal.

http://www.clubcall.com/arsenal/wenger-in-for-french-ace-1431189.html?

Ok. So who's going to break the news to Mr. Sipwell that Dembele is actually French?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude