more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 25, 2012, 07:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Hangeland yet to be offered new deal by Fulham

Brede Hangeland has confirmed to Norwegian press that he has yet to be offered a new deal by Fulham even though his current contract expires next summer. He said he's relaxed about it and is sure Fulham will offer one soon but also that some people could see it as a benefit that their contract could expire.

I know we're trying to lower the age of the squad but Hangeland has been nothing short of fantastic for Fulham. Having a young squad is good but you still need experienced leaders on the pitch. With the possibility of Murphy going in he summer, Hangeland is the natural successor as captain.

Please Fulham, don't let all of the players walk away who are over 30, we still need experience to guide the youngsters so pull your finger out and get Danny and Brede signed up to new contracts.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/24/3040346/hangeland-yet-to-be-offered-new-deal-by-fulham?

WhiteJC

Brede's England Preview

Having made over 50 appearances for Fulham in all competitions last season, Brede Hangeland is looking forward to an extended break this summer but first the Norwegian captain has two international friendly matches to take care of back home in Oslo.

"It will be a good to get a break but I actually have two international games first, against England and Croatia," Hangeland told fulhamfc.com.

"After the international games there will be some time to relax and chill after a long season. Last year I had 13 days break so it's felt like two years of football with no break. On the back of what has been a marathon season it will be a welcome holiday."

Before Hangeland enjoys a well earned break, he will first lead his international colleagues out against England this Saturday before playing Croatia next weekend.

Of course, Saturday's match will be Roy Hodgson's first game in charge of England and having spent a number of years working under Hodgson at Craven Cottage, Hangeland believes the Three Lions will succeed under the former Fulham manager's stewardship.

"I'm really pleased for him [Hodgson] of course," said Hangeland. "I think he's one of the most experienced managers around and I know for a fact he will be really proud to have been appointed England manager.

"It's the biggest honour you can get as an English manager – to manage your national team. I think he deserves it and I think he'll do well."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/HangelandInternationalPreview.aspx?#ixzz1vrKcfTg6

WhiteJC

Arsenal linked with Belgian international
Fulham's Dembele could become a Gunner

Arsenal are showing interest in Fulham midfielder Moussa Dembele, according to reports.

The Belgian has been a key player for Martin Jol's side this campaign, and Arsene Wenger could consider launching a bid in the region of £10 million for him.

The ex-Alkmaar playmaker has had another imprressive season racking up two Premier League goals and two assists along the way. He also had the second most shots on target of any Fulham player.

Dembele joined Fulham in 2010, and seems to have made quite an impression, particularly on some of the bigger Premier League clubs. In January, there were rumours of him joining Manchester United but a deal was never agreed.

Arsene Wenger is certainly one manager who will have to strengthen his side over the summer.

The departure of leading marksman Robin van Persie is looking more likely to happen by the day and the futures of Marouane Chamakh, Nicklas Bendtner and Park Chu-Young are still uncertain.

Wenger will be looking for a attacking player to partner new signing Lukas Podolski up front. Dembele is an obvious option for this role as he can play as centre forward or as an attacking midfielder; a bid will surely be launched for the skilful play maker.

Arsenal have been missing a creative player ever since Fabregas departed to Barcelona and Dembele would be perfect to fill the void in the midfield left by the Spaniard.

The Belgian international is very much an attacking player but is also extremely versatile. He can play all across the midfield, up front and in defensive midfield where he can pick the ball up off the back four and dictate play.

Although Arsenal would be a side Dembele would like to join, the Gunners face a tough task trying to capture him, with Fulham seeming reluctant to let him leave.

Martin Jol has stated his ambitions to get a Europa League spot next season and will thus want to keep Dembele and his attacking compatriot Dempsey, who has also been linked with a move away from the cottage.

In addition to Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs are also showing interest, and with both sides boasting impressive squads, the 24-year old would have a very difficult decision to make if more than one bid was to be made.

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2012/05/24/arsenal-linked-with-belgian-international-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiership+Talk%29

WhiteJC

Why Dempsey has surpassed Donovan

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The argument is over. The incumbent has conceded. On Wednesday, what many U.S. fans already believed became official: Clint Dempsey has surpassed Landon Donovan as King of American Soccer.

If there were any lingering doubts, Donovan himself dispelled them in front of a quartet of national media outlets during a rare, 30-minute conversation during which the national team's all-time leading scorer and longtime leading man essentially passed the baton to Dempsey on the eve of the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.

"Everybody talks about who's better, Clint or Landon," Donovan told the group. "I'm happier probably than anybody when he's succeeding ... he still has that crazy hunger to succeed."

No doubt about that. With 23 goals in all competitions for Fulham this past season, including 17 in the English Premier League, Dempsey is coming off the greatest season an American has had overseas, and he'll be the focal point for the U.S. attack as the long road to Brazil 2014 begins. And while Donovan, at 30, concedes he's now on the downslope of his own stellar career (props to SI.com's Grant Wahl for winning the transcribing race), Dempsey is convinced his best days are ahead of him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/blog?name=us_national_soccer&id=7968136&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fsports%2fsoccer%2fblog%3fname%3dus_national_soccer%26id%3d7968136

WhiteJC

Hot shot Sigurdarson draws a blank in front of Premier League scouts

A host of Premier League club scouts were in Lillestrom last night to check out Icelandic striker Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson, 21.

The £4m-rated forward has scored 11 goals in as many games in Norway this season.

Everton, Sunderland, Reading, Fulham and Ipswich were all present to see him in a 0-0 draw with Aalesund.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2149511/Bjorn-Sigurdarson-watched-Everton-Sunderland-Reading-Fulham-Ipswich.html#ixzz1vrLhE42a

WhiteJC

Ajax only club to make an offer so far for Narsingh. Will Fulham make a bid?

There have been various reports of Fulhams interest in Heereven's Luciano Narsingh, some stating that he has been shown around Craven Cottage straight after the end of the season.

However, Heerenen confirmed tonight the only offer they've had so far is from Ajax and this does not meet their valuation. The Chairman said "He had a straight choice, extend his contract or be sold". He confirmed that Narsingh will not sign an extension so it looks like he will be on his way. PSV are also claimed to have an interest in signing him.

At this stage, I guess it will come down to who will meet Heerenven's valuation as he looks to be sold. Will it be to Fulham?

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/5/24/3041723/ajax-only-club-to-make-an-offer-so-far-for-narsingh-will-fulham-make?

WhiteJC

Dempsey eyes next challenge after historic season with Fulham

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Clint Dempsey leans forward in his seat and tells a story. Back in his hometown of Nacogdoches, Texas, during his days in the second grade, an old, crusty gym teacher named Coach Long staged a kickball game one afternoon between the boys and the girls. Dempsey played hard, just like he always does, but then came an unexpected twist.
"Coach Long cheated and let the girls win," Dempsey says, "and I jumped up and tried to punch him."

There were consequences, of course: Dempsey said he "got pops" at both the principal's office and at home that night, and he missed an ice cream party. (Coach Long, who presumably wore those tight-fitting BIKE coaches' shorts, also retired after that school year. "Hopefully it wasn't because of me," Dempsey says.) But the point is clear: Deuce does not like to lose. Never has.

The same thing applies today. No matter how much Dempsey has achieved, no matter how much he has exceeded the expectations once put on him, he always sees the next challenge. Take his just-completed season with Fulham, the greatest ever by an American in Europe.

"It's a gift and a curse," Dempsey said. "I'm looking at players that are way above me. You look at [Lionel] Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, the totals they have, and you compare yourself with them to drive and push you even further. Yeah, it's good what I've done. I tied for fourth [in Premier League goals] with [Emmanuel] Adebayor [with 17], but then you look at [Wayne] Rooney, [Robin] Van Persie and [Sergio] Agüero and how well they did, and you want to be among them. You're able to be happy about what you're doing, but you're like, 'Damn, I've still gotta go further.' Hopefully I can keep going and maybe get to that level."

Dempsey's unquenchable appetite for competition, for rising to the next level, is something that impresses even his teammates.

"He still has that crazy hunger to succeed, more so than most," an admiring Landon Donovan said Wednesday, indicating he found it hard to maintain that drive himself.

I mention Donovan's comments to Dempsey, ask him how he does it. Does he have any advice for Donovan?

"The thing is, Landon's played more games than me," Dempsey said. "He started playing at a higher level younger than what I did. I didn't turn pro until I was 20, and before my first MLS season started I turned 21. So it's almost been like a race against time for me, to make the most I can of the time I have left. I'm still hungrier than ever."

Dempsey isn't likely to play in the U.S. friendly with Scotland in Jacksonville on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network, Galavisión). A strained groin kept him out of Fulham's Premier League finale, and he hadn't done anything more than a bit of running and ball work in training through Thursday.

"I don't know about the Scotland game," he said. "We're just trying to be smart. I've been out for 14 days. You've gotta work on fitness because you lose it really quick. It doesn't make sense to play in a game if you're not able to be close to 100 percent."

Taking the field against Brazil on Wednesday is a more likely scenario. You want to challenge yourself against the best, and the five-time World Cup champions will bring some big talent to the high-profile friendly.

Wanting to play against the best may well guide Dempsey's club future, too. He hasn't said so explicitly, but it seems increasingly unlikely that Dempsey will sign the new contract being offered him by Fulham. One season remains on his contract, and he could well be a transfer target this summer for a Champions League team.

"They've offered a contract, and I just wanted to focus on my football and finish off the season strongly," Dempsey said. "I've always said I'm grateful for everything Fulham has done for me. Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there. But the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.

"I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I've had. I'm always going to want to play in Champions League. It's something I've never done. I'd like to test myself at that level.
That way I can look back and say, 'Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn't good enough.'

"If I wanted to be comfortable, no offense to MLS, but I would've stayed in MLS, 'cause I would have been closer to my family and friends, and I would have been used to the way of life. I'm a risk-taker. I want to throw myself in the deep end and see if I can swim."

Whenever Dempsey has tried it so far, the answer has been a resounding yes. There's only one deeper end of the pool to go to from here.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/05/24/us.scotland.preview/index.html#ixzz1vrMMNghP

WhiteJC

Celtic and West Ham linked with Rhodes after Fulham bid is 'laughed off'

West Ham and Celtic are among the clubs chasing Jordan Rhodes after Fulham had a bid 'laughed off' by Huddersfield Town, according to the Daily Star.

It is claimed Fulham offered £3.5m for the striker, who has scored 40 goals for the Terriers this season.

Wigan, Stoke and Norwich have also been linked with a move for Rhodes.

Meanwhile, out-of-contract Whites forward Andy Johnson has again been linked with QPR.

The Daily Mail suggest that R's boss Mark Hughes, who managed the player at Fulham, is interested in taking him to Loftus Road.

And the Daily Star say Fulham want Wolves defender Christophe Berra.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/celtic-and-west-ham-linked-with-rhodes-after-fulham-bid-is-laughed-off/

WhiteJC

FULHAM AFTER WOLVES DEFENDER CHRISTOPHE BERRA

FULHAM are leading the hunt for £2mrated Wolves centre-back Christophe Berra, 26

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/253132/Fulham-after-Wolves-defender-Christophe-Berra/

WhiteJC

HANDS OFF JORDAN RHODES

HUDDERSFIELD have laughed off Fulham's £3.5m bid for goal ­machine Jordan Rhodes.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol is keen on the Scotland striker, whose amazing 40-goal season has fired the Terriers to tomorrow's League One play-off final at Wembley.

But with Wigan, West Ham, Stoke, Norwich and Celtic all in the running to sign him, they are ready to bide their time before parting with Rhodes, 22.

Boss Simon Grayson said: "You get £3.5m offers for people who have scored 10 or 15 goals, not 40. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Rhodes insists Huddersfield aren't a one-man side – and it will be a team effort that sees them past Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United for a place in the Championship next season.

He said: "It's not about who scores the goals, it's a matter of us scoring more than Sheffield United, simple as that.

"The match will be tough, but hopefully we can do it. We're ­focused on the task in hand against a very good team."

Captain ­Peter Clarke will use the memory of the worst summer of his life to drive him on to Wembley glory.

Huddersfield crashed 3-0 to ­Peterborough in a one-sided ­play-off final at Old Trafford 12 months ago.

Centre-back Clarke, 30, said: "It was the worst moment of my ­football career and I don't want to experience that pain ever again.

"It was horrible and it stuck with me for a long time. In the ­summer holidays I was a ­nightmare and I don't think I got over it until we came back into pre-season ­training.

"But those memories of last year can be used as a motivational tool. We'll do everything in our power to make sure that doesn't happen again.

"It is a fantastic feeling to get through to the final, but we ­realise nothing has been achieved yet and there is still a lot of hard work to do."

Clarke is hoping it will be third time lucky in the play-offs after they were beaten in the semi-finals by Millwall two years ago.

"We are under no ­illusions that it is going to be a very tough 90 ­minutes," he added.

"We had two hard games against United in the league and they have been up there in the top three all season on merit.

"We have prepared right and we have done ­everything possible to make sure we are on the right end of the result this time.

"I have never been to the new Wembley before so I'll look forward to the day.

"But it will mean ­absolutely nothing if we don't get the win."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/253123/Hands-off-Jordan-Rhodes/

WhiteJC

Klinsmann Qualifier Conundrum: Getting A Jol-ly Clint Dempsey

Okay, you're Martin Jol, Fulham manager. You've just left behind the land of windmills to help the cozy Cottagers of London again prove that tradition more than bank account matters, even in the British Petroleum League–sorry that BPL moniker always messes me up.

You've got this player on your side that has proven to every manager before you that he is Fulham's playa.

You run a certain Dutch system, don't know where to fit him, so you start him on the bench a little bit at the beginning of the campaign–that being 2011-2012–but quickly you realize what all your predecessors did–he's got to be on the field.

You start playing Fulham's playa, American Clint Dempsey, all over the field. You play him as a withdrawn forward, you play him as an incutting left-sider, then back on the right. Everywhere he plays he shows commitment, he piles up fouls that get turned into set pieces which then show on the score sheet as goals.

But, now...now you've got a problem on your hand.

Your target man–Bobby Zamora–is unhappy.

Unhappy with his contract, the system everything.

He's not doing the forward work you need. One day, the crosstown Spurs come in with two gimpy-kneed centerbacks and you figure, "Ah, what the hell. Let me try Deuce up top here–at least he'll make Ledley King run all day."

And lo and behold it works!

Symphonically.

Zamora and Dempsey combine with Dempsey turning centerbacks like they're New England Patriots cornerbacks. Only you know Zamora is heading down the road to Hughes Place. No matter, maybe Ruiz or...or.."yes Dembele" can trail the play and interchange with Dempsey. My god that might just work. Heck, I'll even through Kerim Frei on the wing to speed up our overall rate of play.

You play Dempsey up top, either in a one person set or a two and you give him license to roam.

Dempsey becomes a force up top and drops some serious goalage on the league. Clint appropriately chooses when to come back to the midfield to help out in linking, earning even more fouls as defenders trail him out wide. You know Dempsey can't hack getting beat on with his back to the basket all season by his lonesome, so you bring in that big Russian kid from Stuttgart. And with Deuce distracting the defense you get another half dozen goals from Pogrebnyak too.

Life is good. You're Fulham team finishes ninth in the table with a three point improvement on the previous campaign. In fact those 52 points match the output of another team interestingly enough, Liverpool that is supposed to be a step-up for London's top American.

A Jol-ly Dempsey....

If you're Jurgen Klinsmann though, life's not as good in Attackville.

Back on the national team, Klinsmann's got not so easy a solve with Dempsey and the offense.

Klinsmann has the US playing up the pitch and he's got Jozy Altidore–starting to learn his trade but still tactically a work in progress–ahead of Dempsey. The Texan has much less space to operate in. He also has less field to work with and the movement around him lacks sophistication. Not to mention now he's usually got a faster defensive midfielder stuck right to him (Yann M'Villa).

Clint Dempsey is almost trapped in the Trequartista role that Jurgen sees as ideal for him. A player who averaged almost 3.97 shots per game for Jol this campaign is getting just 2.25 for the US under Klinsmann.

Dempsey isn't leading the line and he's getting collapsed on like he's Chris Paul going up against the Spurs.

Will Klinsmann move Dempsey around? Or will Klinsmann look to use Fabian Johnson, Landon Donovan and Jozy Altidore to really focus on moving offball to create space?

Much of the key to the Yanks attack in World Cup qualifying would seem to resolves around Klinsmann creating opportunities for Clint.

http://theshinguardian.com/2012/05/23/qualifying-question-for-klinsmann-getting-a-jol-ly-clint-dempsey/

WhiteJC

Dempsey ready for bigger challenges

Ives Galarcep

Ives Galarcep is a 14-year veteran of the American soccer beat. He created and operates the popular American soccer blog, Soccer By Ives, which was voted Best American Soccer Blog by US Soccer in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Ives was also voted Best Football Writer by SoccerLens in 2010.

Updated May 24, 2012 5:26 PM ET       
ORLANDO, FL

U.S. CAMP NOTEBOOK  FOX Soccer's Ives Galarcep will provide daily segments from Jurgen Klinsmann's USMNT training camp from Orlando, Florida.

Clint Dempsey has heard all the rumors. All the talk about the big clubs lining up bids for him, it doesn't come as much of a surprise considering the dream season Dempsey just had for Fulham. It also doesn't make it any less frustrating for Dempsey.

Not because Dempsey doesn't want to be linked with big clubs, but because seeing rumors instead of actual transfer offers was something he already endured last year.

"I don't get caught up in that because until somebody is putting down some money it doesn't matter," Dempsey said in an exclusive interview with FOX Soccer. "If teams are really interested, they need to put their money with their mouth is and make an offer."

Dempsey won't go so far as to outright say he wants to leave Fulham, but you don't need to be a code breaker to read between the lines. He has one year left on his current deal with the Cottagers. He just had the season of his life and stated his desire to play in the UEFA Champions League.

"After every year I want to keep getting better, and I want to take on bigger challenges, and playing in the Champions League is something I want to do," Dempsey said. "It was something I wanted a year ago but it didn't work out that way. It's something I still want."

Dempsey scored 23 goals for Fulham, including 17 in the Premier League. Clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool have eyed his services. The same thing happened a season ago, when Dempsey scored 12 goals and became linked in the media to potential moves to Arsenal and Paris St. Germain.

The big question at this point is whether a top European club will pay Fulham's asking price for the 29-year-old player. Fulham manager, Martin Jol, has stated the Cottagers won't sell Dempsey, but it would be tough to keep him if he wants to leave, and if the Premier League's bigger spenders step up.

For his part, Dempsey just shrugs off the absurd notion that, at 29, he is either "old" or on the downslope of his career.

"I feel good, and I don't think I played this last season like someone who is old," Dempsey said. "And look at players like (Paul) Scholes and (Ryan) Giggs, who are still playing at high levels into their 30s. I feel good and feel like I've got more good years in me."

What often goes forgotten about Dempsey is that he began his pro career later than most top European players. He was 21 as a rookie with the New England Revolution and had played just 81 combined professional games by the time he was 24. By comparison, Fulham teammate Moussa Dembele, is 24 now and has played just two dozen fewer professional games than Dempsey.

U.S. TRANSFER TARGETS
Which big name American stars could be on the move this summer? Find out here.

"There's something to be said for that, Dempsey said. "I haven't played as many games and my body hasn't been through as much as other 29-year olds playing in England. I definitely don't feel old. I feel like I'm getting better.

"I would have liked to start playing professionally earlier," Dempsey added. "But I think that's been a blessing in disguise and made me appreciate things more, and made me more hungry and I don't think I've shown any signs of slowing up."

The US national team will be counting on Dempsey to keep getting better as the squad's best player and attacking focal point. Jurgen Klinsmann looks poised to slot Dempsey in as a second forward position, getting the leading American goal-scorer in Premier League history closer to goal; a role he has already produced results at, most recently with the winning goal in the US national team's historic 1-0 victory against Italy on Feb. 29. "That's always been a place I like to play," Dempsey said. "I feel like I can be the most effective in that kind of role and Jurgen has put me there and with the way some of the guys on this team are playing for their club teams, it's going to be good to see what we can do."

Dempsey is currently sidelined with a minor groin injury that is keeping him out of action during the current US national team training camp, but he should be ready for action when the United States begins World Cup qualifying against Antigua & Barbuda on June 8.

The current squad looks to be a strong one, with a good nucleus of veterans and some promising newcomers, but Dempsey isn't ready to say the current national team is stronger than past installments.

AMERICANS ABROAD
Plenty of Americans enjoyed stellar seasons overseas. see the USA's Best XI here.

"We won't know that until we've done something, until we've played the games and shown what this group is about," Dempsey said. "We do have a lot of veterans so I still think we're a good team, but we won't know just how good until we start playing games that matter."

The upcoming stretch of five matches for the United States should keep Dempsey busy before July, when the transfer season gets into full swing, and when the offers for Dempsey would be expected to start rolling in.

Dempsey won't come out and say he has played his last game for Fulham, but it isn't difficult to tell what his plans are when asked about the possibility of playing out the final year of his Fulham contract at Craven Cottage.

"There are things I want to do in my career," Dempsey said. "And I'm going to do what it takes to make those things happen."

Ives Galarcep is a senior writer for FOXSoccer.com covering Major League Soccer and the US National Team.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/clint-dempsey-ready-for-bigger-challenges-in-european-football-ives-galarcep-usmnt-camp-052412

WhiteJC

Jol confident over Fulham future

MARTIN Jol is confident Fulham can make an even greater impact on the Premier League next season without the draining demands of European football.

But the Whites boss conceded he would still gladly have taken a Fair Play wildcard entry into next year's Europa League, given the choice.

Such is the format of the Europa League that last year Fulham found themselves involved before June was out, and although Jol did his best to treat early matches as glorified friendlies to gain fitness, there is little doubt his players ran out of puff as winter arrived.

Next season – with three Uefa Fair Play berths set to be allocated to other countries – Fulham will not have the glamour of Europe, but will also be without the burden of those extra games.

"If all the players are still there, I believe we can do even better," said Jol, whose side finished ninth. "I think playing in Europe cost us a few points, that is for sure.

"I can imagine Stoke played as many games as us and they struggled a bit and it's not a surprise that we were in the top five over the last 20 games, because we weren't involved in Europe.

"But if you want to be a very good side like Arsenal or Chelsea, you have to play in Europe and you have to play in the league.

"It shouldn't be a problem, but over the last five years, when Fulham weren't in Europe, they were seventh with 52 points, and when they were in the final of the Europa League, they were 12th with the same team, so of course, it will cost you points.

"So it could be a benefit not playing, but even now, if they told us we were first in the Fair Play cup and that we would have to start in June, I would still love to do that. It's so good for the profile of your club, for the players and for the youngsters, playing in Europe."

Jol added: "I was listening to a discussion on the radio about teams being involved in Europe and I think they've got a point [about it draining you], but on the other hand, you always want to be involved in Europe, because that means you're doing well.

"The only thing is, can you play your best team [in Europe]? If you saw Aston Villa and Man City over the last couple of years, there was always a little doubt. Do we have to play our best teams?

"And that is probably not an ideal scenario because, of course, the Premier League is still the most important thing."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/05/25/82029-31037574/?#ixzz1vrr68pSk

WhiteJC

Jol is snubbed in striker offer

Fulham have reportedly had a £3.5million bid for Huddersfield Town striker Jordan Rhodes turned down.

Cottagers' boss Martin Jol has been heavily linked with a swoop for the 22-year-old striker, who has scored 40 goals for the League One outfit to lead them to the play-off final against Sheffield United at Wembley this weekend.

And, with a myriad of clubs, including West Ham, Norwich and Celtic also thought to be in the running to try and prise Rhodes away from the Terriers in this summer transfer window, Jol looked to make an early raid for his signature.

But Town boss Simon Grayson insisted that if Rhodes will be sold by the west Yorkshire outfit, they will be looking for a lot more than £3.5million.

He said: "You get £3.5m offers for people who have scored 10 or 15 goals, not 40. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Jol could increase his offer for Rhodes, especially with reports again linking current striker Andrew Johnson with a move to London rivals QPR in the transfer window.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-is-snubbed-in-striker-offer-1432287.html?

WhiteJC

Come and get me! Fulham star Dempsey tells Champions League teams to bid for him

Clint Dempsey has expressed his desire to play in the Champions League and told any club wanting to sign him to put an offer on the table.

The Fulham star enjoyed his best season last term netting 23 goals in all competitions, with 17 coming in the Premier League.

The 29-year-old has a year left on his contract at Craven Cottage and speculation has been rife that he will leave this summer.

Set to leave: Clint Dempsey is keen to move to a Champions League team

A number of teams have been linked with the USA international including Arsenal and Liverpool, but Dempsey says until someone puts an offer on the table he has no move to consider.

Speaking to FOX Soccer, Dempsey said: 'I don't get caught up in that [speculation] because until somebody is putting down some money it doesn't matter.

'If teams are really interested, they need to put their money with their mouth is and make an offer.'

While not coming out directly and saying he wants to leave Fulham, he has stated his desire to play in the Champions League and is keen to make that happen as soon as possible.

The American, who has spent five years at Craven Cottage, was linked with moves to Arsenal and Paris St Germain last summer but nothing came of the speculation.

In good form: American Dempsey netted 23 goals in Fulham's season

'After every year I want to keep getting better, and I want to take on bigger challenges, and playing in the Champions League is something I want to do,' Dempsey added.

'It was something I wanted a year ago but it didn't work out that way. It's something I still want.

'There are things I want to do in my career. And I'm going to do what it takes to make those things happen.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2149777/Clint-Dempsey-says-wants-play-Champions-League-team.html#ixzz1vsF12SRu

WhiteJC

Everton or Fulham should take a chance on Jordan Rhodes
Sharethematch.com takes a look at Huddersfield's Jordan Rhodes and his potential to be a success in the Premier League

Rhodes deserves Premier League shot

Jordan Rhodes will play his final game at League One level on Saturday, regardless of the play-off final result.

If his Huddersfield Town side beat Sheffield United at Wembley, he will be a Championship player next season with the Terriers, at the very least.

But many believe he will get a move to the Premier League regardless of the result.

He has been outstanding all season and is without question the best striker outside of the top two divisions.

With 40 goals to his name and a debut for Scotland, it has been some campaign for the 22-year-old.

Including the Championship, there isn't a finer finisher of the ball outside of the top-flight, and Rhodes is more than good enough to compete in the Premier League.

A move to the European-bound clubs may be too much of a step, but he could contribute heavily for, and fitting in well with, the likes of Everton, Fulham or Sunderland.

A mid-table club with designs on a top-ten finish would be perfect for Rhodes, who displays an instinct for finishing only the best players have.

He is great off the last man, positionally very astute and always has a goal in him.

He will prove key to Huddersfield's hopes of victory over the Blades, particularly with United's equivalent Ched Evans now in jail.

But regardless, many suspect come August he will no longer be a Terrier but about to embark on a deserved shot at the Premier League.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2012/05/everton-fulham-chance-jordan-rhodes/?

WhiteJC

International Whites

Fulham's international stars are back in action this weekend in a series of matches across the globe, beginning on Friday evening.

Pavel Pogrebnyak could be the first Fulham man to turn out for his country as Russia face Uruguay as they continue their preparations for Euro 2012, before Mousa Dembele's Belgium team face Montenegro in a Friendly match.

There are more Friendly contests on Saturday as Stephen Kelly and Damien Duff take part in their first warm-up game when they face Bosnia-Herzegovina in Dublin, while Roy Hodgson's first match in charge of England sees him come up against Brede Hangeland and John Arne Riise's Norway.

Philippe Senderos and Clint Dempsey, injury permitting, are also involved as they face Germany and Scotland respectively.

Kerim Frei was due to take part in an U19 Elite Tournament with the Swiss but has been ruled out with an abductor injury. They are hopeful he will return for the U21s' European Qualifier next week.

Russia V Uruguay – Moscow (Friendly)

Pavel Pogrebnyak

Belgium V Montenegro – King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels (Friendly)

Mousa Dembele

Republic of Ireland V Bosnia-Herzegovina – Aviva Stadium, Dublin (Friendly)

Stephen Kelly

Damien Duff

Norway V England – Ullevaal Stadium, Oslo (Friendly)

Brede Hangeland

John Arne Riise

Switzerland V Germany – St Jakob Park Stadium, Basel (Friendly)

Philippe Senderos

USA V Scotland – Jacksonville, Florida (Friendly)

Clint Dempsey

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/May/InternationalWhites.aspx?#ixzz1vsJbY1jn

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Grayson admits Huddersfield could cash in on Rhodes

Simon Grayson admits he'll find it tough to keep hold of striker Jordan Rhodes after his scintillating form this season for Huddersfield.

The Terriers forward has scored 40 goals in 45 appearances this term, alerting the likes of Aston Villa, Norwich, Fulham and West Ham to his prowess.

And, ahead of the League One play-off final against Sheffield United this weekend, Grayson conceded Rhodes could be on his way this summer regardless of whether Huddersfield win promotion at Wembley.

"He's hot property," Grayson told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show. "Anyone who's scored 40 goals at any level will be in demand. Every player has got a price tag.

"He's very down to earth and takes everything in his stride. He's first to acknowledge what the team has done and he's desperate to learn how he can improve."

Whilst Grayson is aware of Rhodes growing reputation, the Huddersfield boss was adamant that the Terriers will try and hold on to the 21-year-old for as long as possible.

"We don't have to sell him," he went on to say. "We turned down big money for him in January, we'll just have to see how we go."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/league-one/120525/exclusive-grayson-admits-huddersfield-could-cash-rhodes-172930

WhiteJC

Fulham star issues 'come and get me' plea to Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal & Chelsea

Transfer News: Clint Dempsey wants to play in the Champions League

Fulham star Clint Dempsey has issued a 'come and get me' plea to Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea after he admitted he wants to play in the Champions League.

The 29-year-old scored 23 goals in 45 games as the Whites finished in ninth place in the Premier League and has attracted the attention of the leading clubs with his performances and his contract with the west Londoners expires in 2013

"They've offered a contract, and I just wanted to focus on my football and finish off the season strongly," the American told Sports Illustrated.

"I've always said I'm grateful for everything Fulham has done for me. Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there.

"But the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible."

"I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I've had.

"I'm always going to want to play in Champions League. It's something I've never done.

"I'd like to test myself at that level. That way I can look back and say, 'Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn't good enough'."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_issues_come_and_get_me_plea_to_man_city_man_utd_arsenal_chelsea_1_1389013?

WhiteJC

Fulham re-signs Aussie teen

Exciting young striker Corey Gameiro has been re-signed with English Premier League club Fulham.

One of Australian football's brightest prospects Gameiro joins Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer at the Cottagers on his second pro contract until the end of 2012-2013.

The 19-year-old from NSW said he was hoping to be the next Australian to make an impact in English football.

"They say it is hard to get your first contract and even harder to get your second so I'm really happy with where I am at," Gameiro said.

"Being in the footballing environment at a Premier League club has been such a great opportunity. And as hard as I have worked to get where I am, I know I have to work even harder from here."

Gameiro, who was the youngest member of Australia's squad at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Colombia last year, said Schwarzer had been a big influence on his career.

"Mark Schwarzer is everything a young player going to a Premiership club could ask for," he said.

"He is not only a great role model, but a friend too. He is always happy to take the time out to have a chat, to give you advice and he has so many contacts in the game.

"He has done so much in the game, but he still works so hard on improving himself. He is 39 but he is still at the gym every day."

Gameiro has returned home to Port Kembla for the break in the English Premier League and will resume training with Fulham in early July.

Gameiro is likely to be put on loan to a Championship or League One side in the early part of the new season to further his development.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/news/1106421/Fulham-re-signs-Aussie-teen?