watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey hints at Fulham exit, Klinsmann backs Champions League dream

Started by Admin, May 26, 2012, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/dempsey_hints_at_fulham_exit_FOjijxNiTh9uSBAdNM9KGL

2:51 PM, May 25, 2012ι By BRIAN LEWIS
U.S. star Clint Dempsey may not be playing for the U.S. in their next game in Jacksonville, sidelined with a groin injury; and he might not be playing for Fulham next season in the EPL, landing a dream transfer to a UEFA Champions League power.

After pouring in a carrer-high 23 goals in all competitions for the Cottagers, the 29-year-old Texan told SI today that he desperately wants a shot at European glory.

"I am grateful for everything Fulham have done for me. Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there, but the fact remains that I want to play in the Champions League....It is something I have never done. I would like to test myself at that level,'' said Dempsey, who is in the last year of his contract. He admitted Fulham had offered him a new deal, but may leave to chase his desire for a bigger challenge.

"I want to throw myself in the deep end and see if I can swim.''

For his part, U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann - who is hoping to get Dempsey back for the May 30 showdown with Brazil at FedEx Field - agreed that if Dempsey has a shot at Champions League soccer, he has to take it.

"To come off a strong season like he is, and now going into a very, very important stretch of games for your country, that should give you a lot of confidence,'' said Klinsmann. "It should put you consistently on the highest level and offers will come in, and I think everybody is aware of that.

"His goal is the right goal, and we often discuss it; if you have the opportunity to go to a Champions League team, that's the crème de la crème in the world of club soccer, then you've got to do that.

"You want to play in the biggest club competition and that would be the European Champions league, and hopefully something will happen over the next couple of weeks. And if it doesn't happen, he has to keep pounding away and knocking at the door.''

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/dempsey_hints_at_fulham_exit_FOjijxNiTh9uSBAdNM9KGL#ixzz1vvRbZUDW

Lighthouse

Good luck to him whatever he decides. But the road away from Fulham is littered with players who wanted to play for a big team and better themselves only to find that staying put was the best option.

Not sure Champions League football is really the great target to push for. Having watched the great Barcelona and the great Madrid and the great Munich become teams that envy Chelsea a team that couldn't beat us in three attempts. What is all the fuss about Champions League?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ElissonSnygg

Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

RidgeRider

I don't blame him one bit for wanting to play on the biggest stage....I hope if he does, he succeeds. Mr. Lighthouse makes a very good point however and I would hate to see it end up for him like others who never quite had the experience they were hoping for but..... the safer option is to stay at Fulham and as they say: "No guts, no glory". I wish him well.

JBH

If he wants CL football then it will be at Arsenal or abroad because City and Utd wont want him and he must realise that if he goes to the scum down the road his status as a Fulham legend will be gone.

My bet is Italy or Germany, but Clint if you want it go now don't drag it out all summer  starsnstripes

Blingo

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 26, 2012, 12:22:04 AM
Good luck to him whatever he decides. But the road away from Fulham is littered with players who wanted to play for a big team and better themselves only to find that staying put was the best option.

Not sure Champions League football is really the great target to push for. Having watched the great Barcelona and the great Madrid and the great Munich become teams that envy Chelsea a team that couldn't beat us in three attempts. What is all the fuss about Champions League?

The fuss is that it's the greatest club competition there is.

Apart from that I fully agree with your post.

Max Headroom

You always regret the things that you don't do rather than the things you try and fail at.

I would love to see him stay, but if he doesnt give the champions league a go, he will regret it forever.....

We could always offer him something innovative...... Sign a three year extension with us, and then loan him out to a champions league team for as long as they are in the Champions league, and then he comes back ;)

The Rock

Terry Angus

Sorry but i think dempsey's been a bit out of order with all this. At the end of the day, when people who support other clubs ask me about dempsey, i say he's a good, hard-working player who gets on the end of things--basically our tim cahill. But up against a half decent defender--a neville or micah richards--you never expect dempsey to beat the man, like you might expect of dembele, or even frei, or bobby z; because dempsey doesn't have that technique or flair that you need. that doesn't necessarily mean he's worse than all of those guys--kamara, for example, could always beat a man on his day but generally delivered nothing--it just means he's not top notch. if he wants to play champo league it will mean coming off the bench for arsenal or playing for a dutch/german/french team and going out in the group stages. and really, after all he's been through with us, is it right that he announces, at every opportunity he gets, that he wants to leave, for that? would hangeland do that? no. would mcbride ever have done that? no.

i think we'll remember dempsey positively for a long time after he leaves but if there's one thing he's lacking (as well as that technical flair), it's grace

Steve_orino

This push for Dempsey to move on is bigger than Dempsey; it's bigger than Fulham.  It's a push to earn some glimmer of respect for the American player & possibly reach new fans. 

You all know, the American players skills are still immediately questioned (thanks a lot Eddie Johnson).  There have been great strides made to earn the respect of you all over the last 18 years (Reyna, McBride, & now Dempsey as examples) but we still have a ways to go to earn the respect of the common-Euro.  As each summit is reached, the next guy that comes along has to push up a little farther & one thing we have not had is an American playing Champions ball with a "known Club" on a consistent basis.

The game is growing over here and our League is what it is.  Most of the media & occasional fans only pay attention to the National team.  Remember, the Clubs here are still trying to establish themselves...they have not been engrained into our daily lives over the past 100 years.  When the National team gets together, the ability to say that one our players is playing on the "biggest-stage" possible can be a huge sales job to the general public.

As a follower of this great Club, I wish Dempsey could/would stay - we have a chance to really push on.  From an American POV though, it's a chance to climb further up the summit and break some stereotypes.

Good Luck Clint!  COYW!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Jimbobob

Quote from: JBH on May 26, 2012, 07:20:13 AM
If he wants CL football then it will be at Arsenal or abroad because City and Utd wont want him and he must realise that if he goes to the scum down the road his status as a Fulham legend will be gone.

My bet is Italy or Germany, but Clint if you want it go now don't drag it out all summer  starsnstripes

If he goes I do hope it is like you say Arsenal. I would to hate to see him in the Italian or Spanish leagues. But if he goes he goes. But at least he is being honest - get thrown in the deep end and see if you can swim. I would hate to see him on the bench with a "Champions League" team but I fear that could be his fate. Best of luck to him regardless. An as always I hope he stays. plus one
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Burt

If the quote is accurate and directly attributable then it feels like a goodbye...

I actually think he is not "slam dunk" champions league club material, and that his natural home is to clubs like us where he will get a guaranteed start and have a loyal following. If he went to one of the top 4 he will not get that.

It's a difficult balancing act - having the desire to prove yourself and regretting it if you passed up on the chance, v. giving it a shot and perhaps things not quite working out as you wanted.

Mr Dempsey - the grass isn't always greener, as many a Fulham star have found when moving on to supposedly bigger and better things.

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel