more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(30/05/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 30, 2012, 04:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Watch: Euro 2012 Preview

Throughout this summer's tournament, I'll be keeping track of the Fulham players involved in the action. Expect a quick recap after each game involving a Fulham player, detailing the squad member's performance (and any other impressions I got thrown in, most likely). So, to begin with, here's a quick run-down of each and – hopefully – every Fulham player involved in play. If you spot an omission, please comment and I'll add them to the list; it seems to be a pretty thin list, though.

Group A

Russia - Pavel Pogrebnyak

The Pog's squad will be favorites to escape this relatively weak group, but they'll have to work harder than some may think. A slightly-aging and domestic based squad could be the surprise of the tournament (again), or could crash and burn. Pogrebnyak's generally been a non-starter for his nation, but he started their most recent friendly against Uruguay, so take that for what you will. It should be noted, however, that he was substituted and his replacement scored. Playing time is likely, but not guaranteed, for the big man.

Group B

No representatives from Group B, unfortunately, but Jol will, according to reports, be watching Luciano Narsingh of the Netherlands (if he makes the pitch), so you may want to do the same.

Group C

Republic of Ireland - Stephen Kelly and Damien Duff

Ireland's Euro dream may only last three games, but Fulham boasts two players in this squad that will look to bring some pride to their nation, if not a knock-out round appearance. Kelly doesn't seem to be a regular for the team, based on their past few matches, but depending on the game and any unforseen injuries, he could get some time. At the very least, he should be a bit-part player at least, but he may have played himself into a starting role towards the end of the season.

Damien Duff, on the other hand, will look to be one of the team's star men. He's been in pretty good form internationally lately from what I've seen, and he'll want to do his absolute best as this could be his international swansong (at least in matches of any huge significance). Look to him to work the wing in a similar manner as at Fulham, but most likely with much more defensive responsibility due to Ireland's tactics and the strength of their opponents. Ireland probably won't go far, but at least they're here at all. That's an accomplishment in and of itself.

Group D

No one in Group D either, with David Stockdale unlucky to not make the England team over a teenager that's only ever played in League Two, but I suppose Woy wanted to give the youngster an experience since he doesn't forsee game time for him anyway. There were also rumblings about Kacaniklic sneaking into Sweden's squad to add some depth at wing, but alas that didn't happen either.

So, only three players to watch by my count, but I'll also be watching and reporting on Dempsey's performances for the USA once World Cup qualification starts later in June. I'm very excited for this tournament and the summer as a whole for Fulham. Hopefully it will provide good soccer and good transfers!

Till next time, and as I said, feel free to comment with corrections, omissions, or opinions.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/05/29/fulham-watch-euro-2012-preview/?

WhiteJC

U.S. men's national team star Clint Dempsey cautious about starting

According to reports from ProSoccerTalk, Clint Dempsey is still not available to start for the United States.

Dempsey hasn't played since a May 6 victory for Fulham, in which they outlasted Sunderland by a score of 2-1. Only 12 minutes into the contest, he scored the opening goal of the game

On Monday he participated, with limited mobility, in the U.S. team's open practice (at the University of Maryland with more than 2,000 in attendance). Afterwards, he spoke on the likelihood of his upcoming playtime against Brazil on Wednesday.

"No, I couldn't [start]," said Dempsey.

"I don't think I'd be able to go a complete 90 minutes and I don't think you should put yourself in the position to take up a spot of a guy who has more fitness than you. But I'm going to continue to work hard and try to get my fitness up and if I do get into the game, I want to make an impact."

In 37 appearances for Fulham, the American midfielder assisted on 7 goals while scoring 17 of his own.

The U.S. men's national team will need help from their star player, who is intent on being cautious with his groin injury.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2012-05-29/us-mens-national-team-clint-dempsey-cautious-about-starting?#ixzz1wJyZgTUU

WhiteJC

The Loneliness of David Stockdale

Lately I've been listening to WNYC's wonderful RadioLab show, and recently came upon "The Loneliness of the Goalkeeper" episode. Turns out it was originally broadcast on BBC Radio 4, so you Brits may have already heard it before. (And here I was hoping to break new ground.)

If you haven't listened to it, go do it. If you have already, do it again. It's that good.

The award-winning piece delves into the hypothesis that no position in the game is as thankless or as lonely as that of a goalkeeper.

Which made me wonder, if this hypothesis is true, what do we make of our very own David Stockdale? If being a goalkeeper is the loneliest profession, what must it be to a 26 year old that has a lot of potential, deputized admirably; but still cannot get the starting role?

Especially considering it's different compared other backups Fulham have had. Pascal Zuberbuhler seemed quite content with his loneliness, only ever featuring once in three seasons with the club (yet isn't that bad when compared to Hilario at Chelsea, or Stuart Taylor at Villa/City). Tony Warner and Jan Laštůvka came out of the lonely wilderness only for us to immediately demand they be sent back. Can anyone even remember who was the backup to Edwin van der Sar?

Stockdale has already been with the club for four years. Bobby Zamora, John Pantsil, Paul Konchesky have all come an gone during his tenure (with AJ and Dickson to follow?). He has over three times as many appearances with various clubs on loan than he does with Fulham. Fulham's #1 goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer signed an extension in January that will keep him here until at least next summer.

If we were to be brutally honest with ourselves and rank the likelihood of a specific player to leave this summer, would Stockdale be in your top three? He would for me.

Why? Just ask yourself how much more lonely can it get for him.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/the-loneliness-of-david-stockdale/?

WhiteJC

UAE MOVE 'INTERESTS' FULHAM STRIKER ANDY JOHNSON

Open minded: Johnson is keen on UAE switch.

EXCLUSIVE: Andy Johnson could be the next big name to swap the Premier League for the Pro League after the Fulham striker's agent confirmed to Sport360° there is interest in the player from the UAE.

Johnson, 31, is out of contract at Craven Cottage this summer and his representative, Anthony McFarlane, has revealed he is "very interested" in a move to the Emirates. "It's something he has firmly been thinking about. He is now 31, and he has never been in this situation in his career where he is available on a Bosman," said McFarlane.

"His mind is open and he's looking at all his options, both here in England and abroad. He is keen on a new challenge and very interested in a move to the UAE provided the offer is right. He's married, he's got two kids and a move to the UAE would provide a nice lifestyle and a new experience for AJ and his family."

Newly-crowned champions Al Ain have been credited with an interest having been linked with the player in the past while Etisalat Cup winners Al Ahli have also been mooted as a potential destination.

McFarlane, though, has refused to be drawn on the identity of the clubs keen on Johnson, who has also enjoyed spells at Birmingham, Crystal Palace and Everton during his career. "There have been no concrete offers as such at this moment in time, but there has been strong interest from a number of clubs in the gulf area, including a couple from the UAE," he said.

Johnson, capped eight times by England, is also looking at options in the US, China and in England, but McFarlane hints that Dubai is his preferred destination as he and his family know the city well. "Without a doubt, he is looking at it [a move to the UAE]. It's just a case of weighing up his options and making sure he joins the right club," he said.

"This hasn't come out of the blue. Andy has been on holiday with his family a number of times to Dubai. He is familiar with the city. He knows where to go, how to get about and the culture of the people. It would be like a home from home. The majority of people speak English; all the road signs are in English. It would be a great place for him and his family to go.

He added: "First and foremost it is for footballing reasons and secondly it has to be right for his family. He is going to go somewhere where his children and wife can settle quickly, where there are English speaking schools, a good quality of life and where he can enjoy his football and enjoy family life.

"All those things come hand in hand when you mention the UAE where as some other places I'm not so sure that would be the case so that is why so attractive open to him."

The profile of the Pro League has undoubted;y received a boost in the last 12 months with the arrival of Diego Maradona as Al Wasl boss and former Premier League stars Asamoah Gyan (Al Ain) and Lucas Neill (Al Jazira).

But how much does Johnson know about the UAE's top-flight? "He is aware as he can be of the Pro League," said McFarlane. "He knows people who work at different clubs there.

"He has seen a little bit of the football and knows a little bit of the standard. He has a good understanding of what he'd be letting himself in for. I'm sure if was to come out to the UAE and play, his new club and fans would love him."

http://www.sport360.com/article/uae-move-interests-fulham-striker-andy-johnson?

WhiteJC

No rest at the Cottage as Jol sends coaching staff to check up on Fulham players

Martin Jol is making sure his Fulham squad don't enjoy an easy summer by sending his coaching staff to check on their fitness.

The Fulham boss has given his players exercise programmes and heart monitors to ensure they stay in shape to report for pre-season training on July 9.

Summer schedule: Jol will keep tabs on his squad over the break

Jol told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad: 'The players are on holiday but we have a summer programme for them to do while they are away. We have one fitness coach for every four players to watch over their schedules.

'They have been given exercises and heart monitors to keep a check. Maybe some of the players may think they could put the heart monitor around their dog's neck and then when they come back for pre-season tell everyone that they are very fit.

'But it won't work at Fulham because we have guys to go around to their houses and make sure they are doing it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2151848/Martin-Jol-send-staff-check-Fulham-squad.html#ixzz1wJziIx52