News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Barton injured after fight outside Scouse nightclub.

Started by FatFreddysCat, June 04, 2012, 10:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Oiseau on June 05, 2012, 11:40:33 AM
Quote from: SKSW6 on June 05, 2012, 11:02:40 AM
Quote from: Oiseau on June 04, 2012, 12:52:14 PM
It seems like quite a double standard that people condemn Barton's thuggish behaviour and then celebrate this thuggish attack on him... Shows how much he's matured that he walked away. I think that Barton's grown up a lot and he's definitely matured since his City days - he still has a long way to go, though. It doesn't excuse his actions on the pitch a few weeks ago, either.

Did Barton do anything to provoke the attack?

-Barton's "matured" and "grown up a lot".

-Knee'd a player in the back of the leg, then tried to headbutt another, attempting to incite a reaction and get another payer sent off with him, which happened less than a month ago.

Pick one.

He probably walked away because the guys who smacked him were twice his size. He's a scumbag and always will be. How many times has he said he's "changed" now?

There is a MASSIVE different between violence on a football pitch and violence in the real world. How many ordinarily well behaved football players can become involved in fracases on the pitch? Hundreds! Our own Clint Dempsey had such an encounter during the Liverpool game this season. Are you to suggest that Clint is also a 'scumbag?' Or John Pantsil against Steven Gerrard?

A bad foul or tackle in football is not a sign of a violent personality. I doubt those players would do the same thing in the real world. A professional football match is unlike any other situation - there are pressures and hormones involved that would not be found elsewhere. The situation can lead to some players acting rashly, especially if they're vulnerable in certain departments (like taking a recovering alcoholic into a bar.) There are also so many parties involved that it can be difficult to place to blame solely on one individual (i.e. was the player provoked and who acted first?)

What I'm saying is that there's a huge different between the City/Newcastle Joey Barton who stubbed out a cigarette in someone's eye to today's Joey Barton. He has taken enormous steps forward to reform and educate himself. I think that's incredibly admirable and most people could learn something from that. Just listen to him in interviews and see how articulate he's become. He's become a much more upstanding individual and a lot of fans seem to pick on him. Yes, he still has a long way to come in terms on his behaviour on the pitch but can't we appreciated how much he's changed? He's realised (from the sounds of interviews) what an idiot he was in the past and he's come to terms with that. He now works with charities and tries to educate himself. This is more than you could say about many footballers.

And no, I don't believe that he deserves to be punched. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Postscript: Barton doesn't drink any more (according the interviews, etc) and he's been arrested 'on suspicion.' That could mean anything. If he's guilty, well he deserves the punishment and we can lose yet more respect for him. Until then he's innocent until proven guilty.
If you read Twitter, he says that the whole issue is sorted. The attack was on him and he didn't cause any trouble.
Oh what an idiot i am, If Sir Joseph of Barton says he didn't do anything he's obviously telling the truth. I like millions of others thought he tried to head butt Kompany a few weeks back, but he said he didn't so we was all wrong then. Just for your info, you do realise he's been charged and out on bail dont you?

finnster01

Ms Oiseau,
You are so right. How could we possibly say anything negative about the reformed Joey Barton? He is a fantastic human being and role model. Whatever he says on Twitter is not only extremely eloquent, it is also the truth and nothing but the truth. His charity work is magnificent and he should be nominated for next years Nobel Peace Prize

Should you ever be interested in buying the London Bridge or help out my uncle in Nigeria, I have a deal for you
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SKSW6

Quote from: Oiseau on June 05, 2012, 11:40:33 AM
Quote from: SKSW6 on June 05, 2012, 11:02:40 AM
Quote from: Oiseau on June 04, 2012, 12:52:14 PM
It seems like quite a double standard that people condemn Barton's thuggish behaviour and then celebrate this thuggish attack on him... Shows how much he's matured that he walked away. I think that Barton's grown up a lot and he's definitely matured since his City days - he still has a long way to go, though. It doesn't excuse his actions on the pitch a few weeks ago, either.

Did Barton do anything to provoke the attack?

-Barton's "matured" and "grown up a lot".

-Knee'd a player in the back of the leg, then tried to headbutt another, attempting to incite a reaction and get another payer sent off with him, which happened less than a month ago.

Pick one.

He probably walked away because the guys who smacked him were twice his size. He's a scumbag and always will be. How many times has he said he's "changed" now?

There is a MASSIVE different between violence on a football pitch and violence in the real world. How many ordinarily well behaved football players can become involved in fracases on the pitch? Hundreds! Our own Clint Dempsey had such an encounter during the Liverpool game this season. Are you to suggest that Clint is also a 'scumbag?' Or John Pantsil against Steven Gerrard?

A bad foul or tackle in football is not a sign of a violent personality. I doubt those players would do the same thing in the real world. A professional football match is unlike any other situation - there are pressures and hormones involved that would not be found elsewhere. The situation can lead to some players acting rashly, especially if they're vulnerable in certain departments (like taking a recovering alcoholic into a bar.) There are also so many parties involved that it can be difficult to place to blame solely on one individual (i.e. was the player provoked and who acted first?)

What I'm saying is that there's a huge different between the City/Newcastle Joey Barton who stubbed out a cigarette in someone's eye to today's Joey Barton. He has taken enormous steps forward to reform and educate himself. I think that's incredibly admirable and most people could learn something from that. Just listen to him in interviews and see how articulate he's become. He's become a much more upstanding individual and a lot of fans seem to pick on him. Yes, he still has a long way to come in terms on his behaviour on the pitch but can't we appreciated how much he's changed? He's realised (from the sounds of interviews) what an idiot he was in the past and he's come to terms with that. He now works with charities and tries to educate himself. This is more than you could say about many footballers.

And no, I don't believe that he deserves to be punched. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Postscript: Barton doesn't drink any more (according the interviews, etc) and he's been arrested 'on suspicion.' That could mean anything. If he's guilty, well he deserves the punishment and we can lose yet more respect for him. Until then he's innocent until proven guilty.
If you read Twitter, he says that the whole issue is sorted. The attack was on him and he didn't cause any trouble.

How many times has Barton been involved with things like this though? This season alone the Norwich sending off and winding up of Wolves fans showing 3-0 on his fingers springs to mind along with maybe more. Can you not see the difference between someone firstly lashing out at someone in the face (albeit in the heat of the moment), but then actually going up to a player after the incident and doing as I described earlier as a "tactical" move, compared with Clint reacting to (was it a bad tackle? Can't quite remember) and going head to head with someone? Regardless of whether it was on a football pitch or not, and frankly, to me, the fact it was makes him an utter disgrace to his profession, he still did it. I personally think it's quite obvious who can be labelled as a scumbag there.

I take your point about his charity work, which is commendable, but I'm not sold at all on him being "articulate" or intelligent and misunderstood as others have described him. Retweeting Nietzsche quotes just comes across as him being a try hard in my opinion. He can't spell for toffee either.

Agree that he didn't deserve to be punched, though.
EDIT: provided he didn't provoke it and he was, as he described, "sucker punched".

cebu

Quote from: finnster01 on June 05, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Ms Oiseau,
You are so right. How could we possibly say anything negative about the reformed Joey Barton? He is a fantastic human being and role model. Whatever he says on Twitter is not only extremely eloquent, it is also the truth and nothing but the truth. His charity work is magnificent and he should be nominated for next years Nobel Peace Prize

Nobel Peace prize, why not? Arafat won it didn't he?

GoldCoastWhite

I agree with you there Oiseau, that was uncalled for. For what it's worth I think Barton is an arse but I also think that the sly little digs at other posters are very disappointing.  :010:

LBNo11

Quote from: Oiseau on June 05, 2012, 07:03:30 PM
Quote from: Blingo on June 05, 2012, 06:42:16 PM
watch it cebu, he was an Arab and you don't want to be upsetting a young lady who is so "sensitive" about her religion do you?

That's really uncalled for... Cheers. As the days go by and the drama continues, I become less and less willing in participating in this forum.

...and I don't blame you Oiseau, I have been looking in and cringing at the comments made. For the record I disagree with you but I defend your right to your opinion without being subjected to comments that are beneath those who have made them. I for one hope you do stay...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Blingo

LBNo11

Quote from: Blingo on June 05, 2012, 07:15:58 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Mr GCW.

...I agree, I just wish some would make their point without stabbing people with it...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Blingo

We can't love everyone Ed, and sometimes people just rub you up the wrong way, no matter what they say or how they say it m8. Unfortunately in my particular case this is one of those circumstances.

RidgeRider

I think if we are all honest, there are those that rub us the wrong way but we must show restraint and move on. This goes to Fat Fred and Mr. Finn as well. Leave the lady alone. You three have said your piece at least a dozen times so move on. She is entitled to her opinion as Ed states.

We can't allow this to continue without action.

Logicalman

Oiseau, I do understand the point you're trying to make, though I would say that in the past. those players that have shown a propensity for violence on the field, have been found to be similar off the field. Whether it is just their nature, or whether they feel they have to live up to their image, I couldn't say. Perhaps a misxture of both, and the gen public look upon them as fair game for a wind-up.

I would say this is true of Barton and Vinnie Jones, but then again, the infamous one that broke that rule would be Cantona.