News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are we sluggish in the transfer market ?

Started by howitis, January 27, 2010, 04:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

Hodgson admits last night that he has been aware of Man Utd's offer for Smalling for some time. Why is it then that we  are once again about to see the transfer deadline close with no obvious activity. This has been going on for years at Fulham, we never seem to gain the march on anyone. I had to laugh last night when the sky commentator said that Fulham had offered 1m more for crouch but Fulham believed that there had been an admin error ?? I think its fair to say that Crouch chose Spurs but we all know that Redkanpp invariably gets his man whether it be Defoe, Keane, Kranjar and now probably  Gujohnsson.

Whether the blame lies with chairman, chief exec or manager or indeed all 3 i'm not sure but Fulham are definitely not particulary decisive in the transfer market.

As for last nights game I thought the defence played well and we were neat at times.  Riise to blame for first goal (he will not make the grade in prem) and a freak second goal. Lacking pace and penetration up front and very little width in the team despite playing 2 wide men.

Finally congratulations to the chap who spotted Smalling playing in the Ryman. If the rumours of £8m are correct that is amazing business by Fulham. Nobody knows for sure if this kid will make it to the top. Anyway we have a proven great centre half in Hangeland. He is crucial for us going forward and any of the jokers on this site who have criticised him lately whilst he was carrying an injury do not fully appreciate what he has done for this club in the 2 years he has been here.

LBNo11

...funnily enough I have just been talking about this with another Mod. We guess that ultimately Mr Hodgson - who prefers that he is recognised as a coach, as opposed to a manager, draws up a list of target players - hands it to Alistair Mackintosh - who presents it to the board - who present the list to Mr Fayed.

Mr Fayed tells them how much he is willing to spend, they tell the CEO, who then has to tell Mr Hodgson that his wish list has to be limited to say player 'A' only and come up with suggestions for more affordable other options. The brinksmanship process goes backwards and forwards and ends up with the signing of a couple of loanees. This process must take time!

Regarding Brede, I may be being over sensitive, but I may be one of the jokers you refer to. Yes I have criticised his form, because it has not been good. I fully appreciate what an enormous difference he has made to the positive fortunes of Fulham Football Club and am delighted that circumstances were such that he has stayed a Fulham player. Like all players do he is going through a bad patch, and yes I do realise he has been carrying an injury - but then you have to ask yourself why do we play an unfit player that could do further damage to himself when there others who could play in his position until he is fit...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

I don't think any of us have a clue how transfer decisions are made.

We all want new faces but Hodgson seems to me to be very specific as to the type of player he wants and its just as likely IMO that that's why there appears to be no activity rather than him being denied money but I could be very wrong.

What I think is true is that it will take new players a while to settle in so that new signings aren't an immediate solution.

tjl

I just don't have a clue the in's and out's of the transfer market are beyond me can you imagine trying to do deals with harry or sam, you would need a lucky black cat and a rabbit's foot  just to walk out of the room with your mind because if had a value to them it would be gone.

RidgeRider

And lets be honest while we are at it, transfer activity league wide seems WAY down.

White Noise

There seems to be a consensus among the clubs not to spend a thing this month - and good job too.

I agree with LB that Roy tries to always put himself on the side of the players and distance himself from the buying and selling. I think the following quotes are a little disingenuous from Roy -

"When it was put to me that I must resign myself to losing the player because Manchester United put in a very good bid that the club have accepted, I was then told the one piece of good news is that he won't be going until the start of next season," Hodgson said.

"Why that was decided, you'd have to ask Manchester United. I think (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh, when the deal was proposed, wanted that to happen and Manchester United accepted it.

"It's obvious that it's much better but it wasn't assistance from my part."

finnster01

It is actually beginning to piss me off, this inactivity injuries and all, but I am sure Roy has his eyes on a last minute for Lars Hurdiegurdie from FC Slalom on a loan deal for a year subscription of the DailyMail and a pack of fags.

I'm glad LB et al others got the Johnny Haynes statue in place when we had a chance, because at this rate I would not be shocked if the club pawned it for the bronze 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

White Noise

I am more than happy if Roy doesn't spend.

Stop the spending everyone. Too much debt, too much hocking of the future.

If no-one gets bought and sold the players agents will start to disappear and we can then start getting wages down.

I'm with Ken Bates - a football club is basically a property business that happens to host 25 football matches a year and lies empty for the rest of it.  ;D

bigalffc

J believe the crouch deal was done because of monies owed by portsmouth to spuds.
I really wish we would sign cover at LB,RB, and striker urgently
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Jimpav

IMHO I suspect that this is more to do with money than anything else. It's got to be quite hard to persuade Mom to shell out at the drop of a hat when up until last season we have been flirting with relegation.

10-12 million is a lot to splash out when there is every chance that we could be back in the fizzy pop leauges by the time we have paid it off. Or all the fuss turns out to be a lot of hype and the new Wayne Rooney/drogba turns out to be the new Marlet.

Spurs can afford to throw around millions, they have a bigger fan base, a long waiting list of STH, a proven record in the PL, not to mention umpteen club shops.

Like it or not the club seem content to stay in the PL and keep as many bums on seats as possible. This won't pay for the next Drogba but might help us to continue an enjoyable stay in the top half.