more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (09/06/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 09, 2012, 04:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Blow As Belgian Midfielder Rules Out Move

The summer transfer window is open and Football Talk will bring you all the latest transfer news. Today, clubs have been dented in their pursuit for Fulham midfielder Mousa Dembele.

Mousa Dembele has insisted he's happy to remain at Fulham despite reported interest from several top flight clubs, according to the Daily Mail.

The Belgian ace enjoyed an excellent season at Craven Cottage last term and has now firmly established himself as an important first team player having made the move to London from AZ Alkmaar in 2010.

The 24-year-old has only one year left on his current contract and the Mail report that Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are all interested in the midfielder and are ready to take advantage of his uncertain contract situation.

However, Dembele has insisted that he has no intention of leaving Fulham this summer, and is enjoying playing under manager Martin Jol. Quoted in the Daily Mail, Dembele said:

'I'm very happy to stay at Fulham, especially because of the boss, 'I think it's very important to have the backing of the manager and he's a coach who gives me a lot of confidence – that's why I feel I owe it to the gaffer as well.

'I think every player needs that and I'm no different. I go to training every day and work with joy. It's a fantastic club and I'm not in a hurry to move anywhere.'

Dembele arrived at Fulham as a forward but was shifted back to central midfield by Jol last season, and the player revealed it's a role he's enjoying.

'I'm very happy with the change this year in the position I play because I'm a player who likes to have the ball as much as possible – and that is down to the manager as well,' he said.

'I think I can hold the ball very well – and it's an advantage to the team if I have a lot of the ball, so I like that position a lot.

FT Verdict
It sounds like Dembele is happy to stay at Craven Cottage, but will he be allowed to without signing a contract extension?

Fulham officials are unlikely to allow the player to enter the final year of his contract and risk losing a prized asset for nothing next summer, so despite Dembele claiming he's happy to stay, unless he signs a new contract i can still see a move for him this summer.

Tottenham have been strongly linked, especially given the uncertainty surrounding Rafa van der Vaart, while Arsenal's style of play would also suit him well and they need reinforcements in the middle of the park.

With Chelsea having already brought in Marin and Hazard, it's difficult to see Dembele getting a first team spot and the same could be said at United. So if he does leave, a move to North London could be on the cards for the Belgian.

http://football-talk.co.uk/64078/blow-as-belgian-midfielder-rules-out-move/?

WhiteJC

Tottenham Transfers: Why Not Pick Up Pavel Pogrebnyak?

Clive Rose/Getty Images

So, Pavel Pogr...er, Porebg.....um, Pogrebnyak! Yeah, that's it!

He's available on a free now that Fulham and the big Russian haven't come to terms on a new deal.

Though Reading have been linked with the in-limbo Fulham hitman, as well as Russian squads that Pogrebnyak denies he wants to return to, it presents the opportunity for a squad to pick up a player who scored six times in twelve appearances for the Cottagers.

This, of course, begs the question: wouldn't Tottenham like an additional frontman that holds up play, has decent technical ability and can come crashing down on the defense like a giant tree in a forest?

While the deal for Emmanuel Adebayor remains a bit of an unknown at this time, Spurs could put pressure on the City player to take a deal more favorable to Tottenham.

In any case, here's a few reasons Spurs could stand to have the big man in lilly-white during the 2012-2013 season.

Much like Adebayor, Pogrebnyak is willing to roam from side to side to get on the ball and is able to hold up the play until the rest of the squad is able to arrive.

His contributions in the attack are often early enough that he is not given credit for many assists, but in watching some of the goals scored by Fulham, he is one of the early focal points of the offense.

However, also like Adebayor, he can go missing sometimes in the air when trying to win the downfield hoofs. For a man of his stature, that's an area that needs improving.

With the exception of Peter Crouch, Spurs haven't had many aerial threats in recent seasons. Pogrebnyak, while maybe not the best in fighting for the open-play ball, is a different animal in the penalty box.

Able to convert with the feet just as well as with his head, Pogrebnyak falls into the "battering ram" category with his ability to jump and get on the end of crosses and corners, something Spurs desperately lack.

As many short corners as they used in the 2011-2012 season, any sort of heading ability would be a bonus.

Much like Adebayor again, Pogrebnyak is a skilled passer, especially in close quarters.

In the game against Tottenham to close the season, Pogrebnyak was often moving towards the back-line, then peeling off and passing to the flanks, moving back into position afterwards to wait on a cross that rarely seemed to find the mark.

With surprisingly nimble feet, the Russian could be an asset when trying to help break squads down if they should allow Spurs to set up a siege.

He's not as nimble as Jermain Defoe by any stretch of the imagination, but Pogrebnyak does know his way to goal, as demonstrated during his brief Fulham stint.

His goals against Stoke and the third against Wolves were predatory hits. He showed off his quick feet when rounding Paddy Kenny against QPR and has shown predatory instinct wherever he has been playing.

He might, in fact, kill two birds with one stone by being the cross of Adebayor and Defoe.

If there is one thing that Adebayor might have shied away from, it would be the more physical defenders of the EPL.

If there is one thing that Pogrebnyak is not going to be shying away from, it's physical contact.

Practically a disciple of the Kevin Davies method, Pogrebnyak is known to give and take some punishment in equal measure, something that would come in handy when trying to break down the likes of Stoke City, Aston Villa, and other squads that prefer to bang rather than finesse.

Considering the struggles Spurs had against teams of that nature, it might be worth having a mule to kick back at the ones trying to land hammer blows against the "flashier" parts of the squad.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1213434-tottenham-transfers-why-not-pick-up-pavel-pogrebnyak?

WhiteJC

Cottagers face fight for Rhodes

Huddersfield Town are determined to keep hold of prolific goalscorer Jordan Rhodes despite interest from the likes of Fulham.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol has reportedly made a failed offer to try and sign Rhodes, who fired in 40 goals to help propel the Yorkshire outfit into the Championship via the League One play-offs this past season, while Celtic and Aston Villa have also been linked with a potential swoop to sign him.

But with Town back in the second tier of English football next season, assistant boss Glyn Snodin is hopeful that it will be enough to keep Rhodes on board at the Galpharm Stadium.

He said: "Jordan has got a lot to run on his contract, he loves playing for Huddersfield Town and we love him, so hopefully when he comes back everything will be hunky dory.

"Jordan is such a gentleman that we know everything will be done with dignity. We want him to stay."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-face-fight-for-rhodes-1436371.html?

WhiteJC

Dembele happy to stay at 'fantastic' Fulham despite Manchester United, City & Chelsea interest
The Cottagers player was converted from a forward to a midfielder by Martin Jol last season and the Belgian has attracted interest from Champions League clubs as a result

Moussa Dembele has revealed he is happy at Fulham because they are "a fantastic club", despite interest from Champions League-chasing teams.

Last month, Goal.com exclusively revealed Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea were all weighing up a potential bid for the 24-year-old.

Martin Jol converted the Belgian from a forward into a central midfielder during his first tenure at Craven Cottage and it has had a positive effect on his form and market value as a result.

He told the Fulham Chronicle: "I'm very happy to stay at Fulham, especially because of the boss.

"I think it's very important to have the backing of the manager and he's a coach who gives me a lot of confidence - that's why I feel I owe it to the gaffer as well.

Premier League

Chelsea miss out on Battersea move
"I think every player needs that and I'm no different. I go to training every day and work with joy. It's a fantastic club and I'm not in a hurry to move anywhere."

Jol's decision to move him into the centre of midfield has pleased the Belgium international and he hopes their form in the second half of the Premier League season can be carried into the next campaign.

He added: "I'm very happy with the change this year in the position I play because I'm a player who likes to have the ball as much as possible - and that is down to the manager as well.

"I think I can hold the ball very well - and it's an advantage to the team if I have a lot of the ball, so I like that position a lot.

"I'm also very happy with the way the season went. The club is doing very well and we have a very strong team with good players.

"Next year, everybody wants to do even better. I'm not sure what will be our target next season, because in a way it's the club and manager who decide.

"I don't know if it is realistic to try for fourth or fifth or sixth, but I think we should look to do even better than this season and last.

"Maybe we will have more energy because we don't play in Europe this season and we can concentrate on the league."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/06/08/3157880/dembele-happy-to-stay-at-fantastic-fulham-despite-manchester?

WhiteJC

Qatari Royal family set to grab stake in Fulham?

Rumours have been circulating over the past two days that the Qatari Royal family are willing to buy out a 49% share in Fulham and, quite audaciously, the deal could be tied up within a week.

The Qatari's have a distinct connection with current owner, Mohammed Al Fayed, having bought his Harrods store from him for an estimated £1.5 billion in May of 2010 and are willing to reignite their friendship with the Egyptian. Having already made investments in Spain, with Malaga, and France, with Paris St Germain, they are thought to be particularly keen on creating a flagship within the Premier League. Newcastle United were originally sounded out as their preferred destination but the group are intent on creating a legacy - something they feel is more attainable in SW6.

If the rumours are to be believed - which, in truth, you probably shouldn't - it is expected that Al Fayed will still have control over the club and will make all the necessary decisions to keep Fulham within the means required for the new Financial Fair Play regulations. With just under half the share in the club, the Qatari's will merely push money into the club and seek some sort of return. There has been talk of a possible £40 million budget this summer.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/8/3073285/qatari-royal-family-set-to-grab-stake-in-fulham?

WhiteJC

IF JOL LOSES OUT HERE THE COTTAGERS WILL QUITE RIGHTLY BE FURIOUS

Fulham could be set to miss out on Russian international striker Pavel Pogrebnyak as Premier League newboys Reading line up a move.

Pogrebnyak spent the second half of the season with Fulham after agreeing a six month deal from Stuttgart in the January Transfer Window. The former Zenit man took to the Premier League like a duck to water as he banged in 6 goals from just 8 games with the Craven Cottage side.

The 28 year old is now a free agent and whilst he is still in talks over extending his stay at Fulham, Reading are now reportedly set to make a move. Pogrebnyak has stated his intention to stay in the Premier League and could end up moving to the Madejski Stadium if talks with Fulham continue to stall.

There is already a Russian feel developing at Reading as tycoon Anton Zingarevich completed his takeover of the club, giving the Royals an abundance of money to spend heading into the new Premier League season and it could well be that Zingarevich is brokering a move for one of his fellow countrymen. Could we see more Russian players heading to Reading this summer?

Zingarevich is worth a reported £182m, giving manager Brian McDermott a considerable transfer kitty to make sure they stay in the Premier League. Pogrebnyak, who is currently preparing for Euro 2012 with Russia, would be a great signing for them if he can maintain his Premier League displays that made him such a hit at Fulham.

Scoring goals is crucial if Reading are to survive next year and Pogrebnyak could be the man to provide them – and on a free transfer, this could be a steal for the club.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2012/06/premiership/if-jol-loses-out-here-the-cottagers-will-rightly-be-furious?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29

WhiteJC

DAMIEN DUFF TO BOW OUT IN STYLE

DAMIEN DUFF believes Euro 2012 could be a final hurrah for the veterans of the Republic of Ireland.
Duff, 33, has waited 10 years to play tournament football with the Irish, who last qualified for a major finals at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea – and he intends to enjoy it.
Back then, he played in every game as the side reached the knockout stage – and became a big star in the Far East by celebrating his goal against Saudi Arabia with an oriental bow to the crowd.
Duff is working on a new goal celebration this time as he and seven other thirtysomethings in Giovanni Trapattoni's squad prepare for tomorrow's Euro 2012 opener against Croatia in Poznan.

But if Ireland escape from a group also containing Spain and Italy, it will be his biggest achievement in football and he could mark it by reaching a century of caps for his country.

Duff, who has played 97 internationals, said: "It means more to me now than it did 10 years ago. A few of us are in our thirties now and I suppose we are on the home straight, so to speak.

"You never know, this could be our last tournament, so you have to savour it.

"It's a major tournament so you can't help but get excited about it. It has been a long wait since 2002 for everybody, not just the players but the fans as well.

"Do I have a new celebration planned? I don't know what they do to say 'Hello' or 'Thank you' in Poland – I'll have to Google that!

"I don't know if teams here are underestimating us. That would benefit us if they do, so hopefully they are. But we have massive belief. We are on a good run, so there is a lot of belief to beat anybody on our day."

That run under Trapattoni has seen Ireland go 14 matches unbeaten and concede just three goals. It may not be pretty, but it works.

Duff claims they will not change the way they play in Poland and even insisted they can become tougher at the back.

He said: "We can be a bit tighter all round. It's a nice run. We hope we can carry it on through the championships." After being granted a well-earned day off following a gruelling camp, Duff said he and his team-mates cannot wait to get stuck into Croatia and the likes of Tottenham's Luka Modric. He said: "We just want to get rocking now. We're sick of all the waiting around. I more or less stayed in bed all day on our day off.

"Croatia are a top team and they have been there or thereabouts for as long as I can remember. They went to the semi-finals of the World Cup in 1998 and they have top players like Modric.

"I keep hearing that they will be going all out for the three points, but I don't think a point is the end of the world in your opening game."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/325481?