watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reading's New Russian Owner Confident Of Sealing Pog Deal Soon

Started by White Noise, June 17, 2012, 03:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhaman

If we dont get him, we will defo need two strikers so who do ppl think are good enough because when Pog was scoring I though he wouldn't stay due to big teams now wanting him now he hasn't scored for a few games ppl think he isn't good enouh for our first team which I think is funny. I think for a free he would be amazing. Him and Rhodes and maybe another

ScalleysDad

Quote from: fulhaman on June 18, 2012, 03:54:45 PM
If we dont get him, we will defo need two strikers so who do ppl think are good enough because when Pog was scoring I though he wouldn't stay due to big teams now wanting him now he hasn't scored for a few games ppl think he isn't good enouh for our first team which I think is funny. I think for a free he would be amazing. Him and Rhodes and maybe another

He scared the life out of a woeful Wolves defence and got the other goals by being in or around the box and right in front of goal. We rarely play that way and more often than not he is left isolated as the attacks seem to build from midfield these days. For me Villa away was the test he failed and he continued to be a hassle free game for half decent centre backs thereafter.

Jack Fulham

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4380915/Pavel-Pogrebnyak-on-Reading-radar.html

Pay day for Pog

IN THE READ-DIES ... Pavel Pogrebnyak

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: 18th June 2012

READING will smash their wage structure to land Pavel Pogrebnyak.

The Royals have offered the striker a whopping £13million deal.

Pog, 28, could not prevent Russia going out of Euro 2012 despite a substitute appearance in the 1-0 defeat to Greece.

He will pick up £65,000 a week over four years if he joins the Premier League new-boys after spending half of last season on a short-term deal at Fulham.

The Cottagers look set to lose out on Pog as they cannot match that offer.

Meanwhile, Brian McDermott is ready to hijack Leicester's £1.2million swoop for Robert Koren and give Hull's 31-year-old midfielder another crack at the Premier League.

Boss McDermott is a long-time admirer of the former Slovenia skipper, who has had previous top-flight stints with West Brom and the Tigers.

ffc73

If the salary being quoted us right then we should wish him well in Reading.

Good at taking his chances but I was not overly impressed with his performances at Villa, Everton, Man Utd, Spurs etc

Like many have said, would be happy if he signed on a free at sensible wages but hope we have better alternatives to come in

AlFayedsChequebook

MasterHaynes

We should steer well clear at that price, it looks like they want to sign him on a 3 year contract 50K a week with a £6m signing on fee at that price he is way over priced and Reading are welcome to him.
With that sort of money we could snatch Croatia striker Mario Mandzukic, who is a better all round striker from under Evertons noses.

twang

According to Daily Mail we have offered him a three year contract worth £20k p/w, while Reading offer £30k. Surely that's got to be closer to the truth?

JBH

If their new Russian owner is mug enought to pay those wages to POG then he is in for a heap of trouble when the rest of the squad and any new signings demand the same :doh:

aussierod

Quote from: ScalleysDad on June 18, 2012, 11:43:47 AM
At the risk of putting myself firmly in The Jol Camp I think the sceptism he has shown is telling. Anyone else remember the "one swallow does'nt make a summer" quote or was that just me dreaming. If Pog was the answer would we not have tried to tie him up before he went away.
If the Ruiz/Dembele style of play is the future a bulldozer up front is not going to be the answer.

Scalleys dad, I couldn't agree more with you

Pog is a good player but as he is a free transfer, I can imagine any savings on transfer fees by the club will attempt to be absorbed by him and his agent within their wages.

£65k is a laugh but even £30k is pushing it. Pavel is a good player but not a game changer. I think Jol has his eyes on better targets, as like others have said here, if Jol really wanted him we would have offered him an attractive contract earlier, we aren't willing to break the bank for him and nor should we. All the best at Reading, he could do well there and I wish him all the best as a thanks for his contribution to the successful end to our season but I trust Jol to bring in a more suitable replacement and not be held to ransom
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts

FC Silver Fox

There's one thing I don't understand with this story. Why would we get a player on loan, WITHOUT an option to buy him so that we'd avoid this type of problem? Surely it makes business sense to do this systematically especially players who will be available freely at the end of the loan period.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

zzamora

There is no way Reading will spend 65k on him. They are not a stupid club!

I would offer 40 maximum. 

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 19, 2012, 09:33:56 AM
There's one thing I don't understand with this story. Why would we get a player on loan, WITHOUT an option to buy him so that we'd avoid this type of problem? Surely it makes business sense to do this systematically especially players who will be available freely at the end of the loan period.

1) he wasn't on loan, so we couldn't have an option
2) Pog was a last min replacement for Zamora after the Barrios deal fell through. I am convinced that Jol was unsure how he would adapt and Fulham got a bit lucky that he went on a confidence boosting scoring run early on. By not signing him up for longer, we were able to see if he was any good. Turns out he is a decent player, but not one worth paying over the odds for - something we would have done in desperation in Jan

TonyGilroy

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 19, 2012, 09:33:56 AM

Who knows.

By the end of the January window we were desperate for a striker.

Perhaps we saw Pog as strictly a short term option. Maybe we wanted to sign him up for an option but he wouldn't agree. Diarra signed a one year option so it's something that we're familiar with.

It's tough. Every player has an agent looking for the best deal. Sensibly run clubs have to avoid constantly over paying particularly because such players may not have the best motivation.

Pog found a club where he fitted in. If he goes elsewhere for more money he's taking a risk with his career but maximising the financial return and if that's his priority then we shouldn't want him.

SJH

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 19, 2012, 09:33:56 AMThere's one thing I don't understand with this story. Why would we get a player on loan, WITHOUT an option to buy him so that we'd avoid this type of problem?

Because were were in something of a mess, having clearly agreed to sell Zamora but not having succeeded with our targets to replace him? We weren't confident enough in Progrebnyak to sign him on a long term deal, and he wanted to keep his options open (so wouldn't agree to our having a priority option)?

I suspect we were more than a bit desperate and while it turned out well (his initial burst of goals moving us up the table and consigning Zamora to the dustbin of well-overrated only had one good season past his best history) it was a gamble (Martin Jol has pretty much admitted as such). If we don't sign him or we've gone cool on him presumably we have other targets we will succeed with. I must admit it's looking from outside a bit iffy: Murphy ?, Dempsey / Dembélé, no recognised centre forward. If the most extreme possibilities work out we'll have half a new team next season. Should be interesting!

TonyGilroy

It's very early days though.

Contracts expire at the end of June and most players are at the Euros or on holiday.

FFC always keep their contract and transfer stuff confidential so all sorts may be happening. Or not.

SJH

I did say from outside :-). If we've noticed the contract situations, lack of a centre forward etc. the club must have noticed, too.

I hope. Oh God.