more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (28/06/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 28, 2012, 04:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Staying Grounded

Alex Kacaniklic has only flirted with the Fulham first-team but, already, he has threatened to inflict serious damage, albeit not always on the opposition. Flung on for his debut against Norwich he smacked an optimistic early effort from distance to prompt his fellow reserve team youngsters sitting in the front row of the cottage balcony to rise in anticipation. As the ball kissed the woodwork, Dan Burn almost toppled over the railings and into the crowd below. "I heard about that," says Kacaniklic. "I guess it shows he was happy for me?" Serious injury might have tempered that enthusiasm.

The memory prompts a chuckle from Kacaniklic, with the Swede boasting plenty of reason for optimism at present. The 2011-12 campaign yielded his first taste of senior football with an eye-catching loan spell at Watford in the Championship quickly pursued by recognition at his parent club. That substitute appearance against Norwich was followed by starts in the away victories at Bolton and his former club, Liverpool. The Whites have laboured on their travels at times in the top-flight, though Kacaniklic would not recognise any fragility. They might consider him a lucky charm.

The 20-year-old recognises the progress he has made. "It was a good second half of the season," he says. "Watford went really well – Ray Lewington had recommended I went there to gain some experience, and they offered me my first chance to play first-team football. I learned a lot from that and I hope I helped the team. We were 11th when I left, and only six points from the play-offs. They didn't quite make it, but it was still a great season for them.

"But to then come back to Fulham and break into the first-team here was perfect. I've only played four times, so I'm staying grounded. It's not as if I've 'arrived' or anything, and I'll need to work extra hard next season to get a regular place in the squad. But it's been a start. All I want to do is play at Fulham, and it feels as if this justifies having come here from Liverpool. It's been encouraging."

Senior recognition has been a while coming. Prior to his switch to London, Kacaniklic had spent three years at Liverpool having moved from Helsingborgs back in 2007 for £75,000. The Merseyside club's scouts had spied his talent in a representative game with Sweden's under-16s against Iceland and took the plunge, initially offering the teenager a 12-day trial. That earned him a contract, with his time subsequently spent at the academy in Kirkby and reserve squad at Melwood. There were appearances in the reserve team and a stunning goal, thundered in with his weaker right foot, in the FA Youth Cup final against Arsenal to offer a reminder of his quality, even if the route into the first-team would remain barred.

"But it was all valuable for my education," he says. "I played alongside the likes of Jay Spearing and Martin Kelly, and I'm a better player for what I learned there. I developed a lot on and off the pitch: those three years made me a better person. Going back there with Fulham, and playing a part in the club's first win at Anfield, was special. I was up against Kels, too, which was great. I was subbed in the game and, afterwards, he came up to me and just said: 'Thanks for going off, mate.' It was great seeing all the boys again, and speaking with people like Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher."

Kacaniklic and his family had flung themselves into Liverpool life back in 2007. His parents and brothers had accompanied him from Sweden to Merseyside, helping the 16-year-old settle into new surroundings. "They left everything behind and moved with me," he says. "They're so supportive. In fact, my brother Filip, who is six years younger than me, started school up there. I remember him complaining about having to wear a uniform every day... My folks are back in Sweden now with him. He plays for a club over there and keeps telling me he'll be a better player. One for the scouts to look out for, maybe."

His older brother, Robin, had attempted to earn his own move to England and was close to joining Wrexham at one point only for Helsingborg to fail to release his registration. There were trials at Hull City and Tranmere Rovers, where he maintained his fitness ahead of a move to Italy. The former Nordskaelland and Brumunddal winger is currently plying his trade with FK Teleoptik, Partizan Belgrade's reserve club, in Serbia's Second Division. This is a truly international footballing family.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/StayingGrounded.aspx?#ixzz1z3VQnIHS

WhiteJC

Fulham & QPR target Buttner impressed with Premier League welcome
The Vitesse midfielder is being courted by the rival west London clubs and has travelled to England to view their facilities but remains coy on his future

PROSHOTS

Fulham and QPR target Alexander Buttner says he has been impressed by the facilities at both west London clubs after visiting them this week ahead of a possible transfer away from Vitesse.

The Eredivisie midfielder, 23, was one of nine uncapped players on the provisional squad list of 36 for the Netherlands ahead of Euro 2012 but missed out on the final 23.

The former Ajax youth player has just one year left on his contract with his current club and is likely to move this summer, but remains cagey over his future.

"It was impressive," Buttner told Voetbal International. "Everything is organised very professional and the people I've met were very nice. I had some good conversations."

Craven Cottage is reportedly Buttner's favoured destination, but German side Werder Bremen are also believed to be vying to secure his services.

"The Premier League and Bundesliga are both great competitions," the player admitted.

"I've still got a one-year contract at Vitesse, so clubs first must agree on the transfer wage."

Buttner's agent, Alexander Bursac, revealed the priority is to ensure the midfielder's talent is highly valued wherever he plies his trade this coming season.

Bursac said: "The most important [thing] is that Alexander will play next season. He wants a big competition so you've never got a guarantee on a spot at the first XI. But he needs some credit at his new club.

"It's now up to the clubs. But I expect the deal will be done."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/06/27/3203988/fulham-qpr-target-buttner-impressed-with-premier-league?

WhiteJC

And the Vultures Swoop!

The financial crisis that has afflicted Glasgow Rangers should serve as a warning to us all.

From being handily placed as one of the dominant forces in Scottish football, the ailing giants are now hoping for something akin to a miracle to keep them on the playing field they`ve been accustomed to.

With the club having to reform as a new company, there`s every possibility that the other Scottish Premier League clubs will reject their application to remain in the top-flight.

But the one abiding problem that may see this giant left ailing for several seasons is the apparent exodus by their top players who are not prepare dot se ether contracts transferred over to the new company, even more so when they don`t have an inkling which level of football they`ll be playing.

Steven Davis, who graced our midfield before venturing into Scottish football is one of several that have taken the route described above and is looking to return south to save his career.

Which makes we wonder, although it may seem a harsh ploy, is there anyone left at Ibrox that we could plunder?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285668#ixzz1z3W9beMt

WhiteJC

Mladen Petric expected for Fulham medical on Thursday

It has been reported tonight that Fulham have won the signature to sign free agent and former Hamburg striker Mladen Petric, allowing Martin Jol to work again with a player he coached during his spell at Hamburg.

The 31 year old Croatian striker scored 38 goals in 98 games for Hamburg, including a fantastic free kick at Craven Cottage in the Europa League semi final in 2010.

Malaga, Deportivo and Real Sociedad had all looked to sign Petric but it's been reported this evening that Fulham have won the race to sign the 6'1" striker and that he will be re-united again with Martin Jol. He is expected to arrive in Lindon on Thursday for a medical.

Below are some of his goals during his time at Hamburg:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzrcy_9dgWA

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/27/3121923/mladen-petric-expected-for-fulham-medical-on-thursday?

WhiteJC

Jol to be reunited with Petric as Fulham boss swoops for ex-Hamburg striker

Fulham are set to complete the signing of former Hamburg striker Mladen Petric as manager Martin Jol continues his squad overhaul.

The 31-year-old Croatian was released by the German club at the end of last season and emerged as a target for Spanish sides Malaga, Deportivo and Real Sociedad.

But Jol, who worked with the striker at Hamburg, has made his move and Petric is set to put pen to paper after undergoing a medical on Thursday.

Main man: Mladen Petric is set to join Fulham after being released by Hamburg

Petric scored 38 goals in 98 games for Hamburg having previously starred for Borussia Dortmund, and in Switzerland where he began his career.

He has also been a regular for the Croatia national side, scoring 12 goals in 44 appearances, but was not selected for this summer's Euro 2012 finals.

Petric will be familiar to Fulham fans after scoring a free kick at Craven Cottage in the Europa League semi-final in 2010.

Fulham went on to reach the final where they lost to Atletico Madrid.

He's got previous: Petric scores a free kick against Fulham in the Europa League

Fulham are desperate to boost their attacking options having lost Andrew Johnson to neighbours Queens Park Rangers while Pavel Pogrebnyak opted to join Premier League new boys Reading rather than extend his contract at Craven Cottage.

Clint Dempsey is also expected to leave the club this summer with Arsenal and Liverpool among those interested in signing the American.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2165854/Fulham-sign-Mladen-Petric.html#ixzz1z6E2ksrA

WhiteJC

Saints butt in for Vitesse ace

Fulham will now face a battle with Southampton and QPR in their quest to sign Vitesse Arnhem star Alexander Buttner this summer.

Dutch newspaper De Gelderlander claimed last week that Cottagers boss Martin Jol was poised to make a £1.6million offer for the highly-rated 23-year-old, who has made over 100 appearances for Arnhem since coming through the youth academy in 2008.

However, it has since been revealed that Fulham's London rivals QPR have joined the race to snap up the player, who is entering the final year of his contract at the GelreDome.

Buttner has confirmed that he visited both clubs in the past week and was impressed with the set-ups at Craven Cottage and Loftus Road.

"That was very impressive," he told Voetbal International.

"Everything was arranged very professionally and the people were very warm.

"The Premier League or the Bundesliga, both are fantastic leagues. At the moment I can't say more, I have to wait.

"I still have one year left on my Vitesse deal, so a new club first has to agree on a transfer fee."

However, as no deal has been agreed with either Fulham or QPR, it has resulted in speculation that Southampton boss Nigel Adkins will join the race for the left-sided player along with German outfit Werder Bremen.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/06/28/Saints-butt-in-for-Vitesse-ace/gnid-146291/?

WhiteJC

Fulham line up moves for Sinclair and Narsingh
Martin Jol is targeting a pacy, skilful winger as he aims to add greater penetration to the team's left flank, with the Swansea City and Heerenveen stars on his shopping list

Getty Images

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey ¦ Chief Correspondent

Fulham are lining up moves for Swansea City winger Scott Sinclair and Heerenveen star Luciano Narsingh.
The two wide players are top of Martin Jol's shopping list as he aims to beef up the Premier League club's attacking options.

Goal.com understands that the Fulham manager is targeting a fast, skilful player who can add greater penetration to the team's left flank.

Jol has been alerted to the possible availability of England Under-21 international Sinclair, who has only a year remaining on his Swansea contract, and Narsingh, whose Heerenveen deal also expires in 12 months' time.

Sinclair blossomed under Brendan Rodgers at the Liberty Stadium but the departure of his mentor to Liverpool has given Fulham hope they can negotiate a deal worth around £5 million.

The 23-year-old, a £1.5m signing from Chelsea, scored seven league goals for the Welsh club last season and was a key figure in their successful debut Premier League campaign.

Sinclair's career had stalled at Stamford Bridge, spending time on loan at six different clubs, and it was not until his move to the Liberty Stadium in the summer of 2010 that he began to fulfil the promise that persuaded Chelsea to sign him when he was 16.

Fulham are also closely monitoring Narsingh's situation as they weigh up their options for the wide positions.

Narsingh, who is valued at £6m, visited Fulham's training ground in May along with his club colleague Oussama Assaidi, who is now on the verge of joining Galatasaray.

The 21-year-old was called up to Holland's Euro 2012 squad following an outstanding season for Heerenveen in the Eredivisie. Narsingh weighed in with eight goals and a league-leading 20 assists.

Fulham are unlikely to make a formal move until the futures of prize assets Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey become clearer.

Dembele is being monitored by Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham, although there has not yet been a bid for the Belgium international.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/premier-league/2012/06/28/3206022/fulham-line-up-moves-for-sinclair-and-narsingh?

WhiteJC

We mean business! Pog proves we're Premier League for keeps, say Reading

Reading manager Brian McDermott believes the signing of Pavel Pogrebnyak is a huge statement from the newly-promoted club as they bid to re-establish themselves in the top flight.

The Russian was nicked from under the noses of Fulham, where he had shone on loan last season, and will lead their line in a first season back in the top flight since 2008.

Pogrebnyak scored six goals in 12 appearances for Martin Jol's Cottagers after moving in January, but failed to agree terms on a permanent transfer from German side VfB Stuttgart.

Meaning business: Pavel Pogrebnyak signed for Reading ahead of Fulham

That opened the door to the Royal, who wasted no time in securing a £6million deal.

McDermott said: 'The owner [Russian-born Anton Zingarevich] had a chat with Pavel about six weeks ago, towards the end of last season. I met him, too.

'He took a long time. He showed us a lot of respect and we're delighted to get him. It shows where we are going as a club.

'He's a great transfer for us. An excellent player. But what more drew me to him was that he is a good person. A good character. He works really hard for the team and fits into what all of my players have shown over the last season.

'We kept talking over those six weeks. We needed him to know how important it was to us to get him. That was made very, very clear.'

The manager added: 'Obviously, it was an advantage to me that Anton is Russian and could speak to him. But I wouldn't say we brought him in because he is Russian. He fits the bill. He fits the mould of what we want.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2165917/Reading-say-Pavel-Pogrebnyak-signing-statement-intent.html#ixzz1z6FHUczL

WhiteJC

Fulham & Tottenham lead race to sign Burak Yilmaz after Lazio deal falls through

Lazio have failed to complete the signing of Burak Yilmaz following a breakdown in negotiations. The talks hit a stumbling block over the Seria A side's reluctance to pay his €5 million release clause upfront.

Trabzonspor president Sadri Şener told reporters that Yilmaz had received better offers, "Tottenham and Fulham are also interested in Burak Yilmaz, we shall see what happens" he said.

Tottenham are seeking an additional striker as the future of Emmanuel Adebayor and Luis Saha look uncertain. Spurs are reported to have met Trabzonspor's release clause demands and offered a four-year contract.

Fulham have also been closely linked with Yilmaz, the Cottagers are able to meet the clubs release clause fee and are rumoured to have offered a three-year deal on an undisclosed salary.

Yilmaz netted 35 times in 41 games this season and his modest €5 million release clause has attracted the attention of major clubs across Europe.

The 26-year-old Turkish international broke the clubs all time scoring record in the league this season, scoring 51% of Trabzonspor's 65 goals.

In an interview on TRT's football program, Stadyum earlier this year, Yilmaz stated that he would consider a move to Spain or England if the right offer was made.

Yilmaz has been in prolific form for Trabzonspor over the past two seasons. He guided the Black Sea club to pole position in the league last year scoring 19 times, only to lose out on winning the championship to Fenerbahce on goal difference.

Liverpool, Sunderland, Atletico Madrid, Rubin Kazan, Ajax and Galatasaray have also been linked with the Turkish Goal King.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=3110

WhiteJC

Why Clint Dempsey Is Potentially the Greatest US Soccer Player in History

J. Meric/Getty Images

Clint Dempsey is not the face of American soccer. He is not the all-time leading goal scorer. However, he may already be the United States' greatest player. If not, he is definitely on track.

The list of US Soccer greats is not exactly lengthy and prestigious, but what Dempsey has accomplished in his career has moved him to the forefront of the discussion.

You do not believe he's the best? He won the 2004 MLS Rookie of the Year award. Okay, something more relevant should be used to make the case. But it is an accomplishment nonetheless.

The 29-year-old Nacogdoches, Texas native has added to his résumé since then. Dempsey became the second US player to score in multiple World Cups by scoring in the 2006 and 2010 World Cup. Speaking of the 2010 World Cup, most remember Landon Donovan's heroics, but forget that Dempsey had a controversial disallowed goal earlier in the match against Algeria.

In the 2011 Gold Cup, it was Dempsey who saved the skin of the US by being the only scorer against Panama in the semifinals. His international successes have not stopped. On February 12, Dempsey scored the lone goal against Italy in the United States' first win in 11 matches against the Italians.

What about his club success? It was a banner year for Dempsey in England's Premier League.

Dempsey, playing for Fulham, became the first American to ever record a hat trick in the league. In 37 appearances for the club Dempsey came away with 17 Premier League goals, 23 in all 2011 competitions. The collection of goals sent him past Brian McBride as the top US scorer in Premier League history.

Performing at a high level on the international stages has set him apart from his American counterparts.

Dempsey has garnered other accolades as well. He was the 2006 and 2011 Honda Player of the year and the 2007 and 2011 US Soccer Athlete of the Year.

Returning to his US National Team credentials, Dempsey has 87 caps and 27 career goals for the stars and stripes. Eleven of those 27 goals came in 2011 competition. A great sign for the US as they bring on a new era with Jürgen Klinsmann and World Cup qualifying.

With only a few appearances for the US in 2012 Dempsey has made his presence felt. Starting four of his five appearances, Dempsey has come away with three scoring strikes.

Donovan being the face of US Soccer may mislead others into believing he is the greatest ever, but on a global stage, it is Dempsey that has made his mark. With the culture of soccer growing in the United States, we can be happy that the talent level is continuously rising.

As Dempsey's legend continues to be written, the youth of America are buying his jersey, hanging posters and making him a role model. Clint Dempsey has joined the ranks of the US Soccer elite. From Donovan to Claudio Reyna to Brian McBride and beyond, it is Dempsey that stands atop the list of American greats.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1239372-why-clint-dempsey-is-potentially-the-greatest-us-soccer-player-in-history?

WhiteJC

Harris Academy Partnership

Fulham FC Foundation and the Harris Academy in Beckenham (Kent) have teamed up to deliver an Education & Football programme for 16-18 year olds.

Students will be able to study a range of A-levels and NVQ/B-TECH qualifications from any of the Harris Federation sites which will also enable them to subscribe to Fulham FC football squad training every afternoon, with fixtures played on Wednesdays.

The Harris Federation has an exemplary record for developing young people and raising standards, and with Fulham FC U18s recently being crowned the Premier League Academy Champions 2011/12, this should be a fantastic partnership between two leading organisations in their respective fields by offering young people a unique opportunity to develop their academic qualifications and football ability in equal measure.

During the course of the season students that sign up to the programme will be given the opportunity to train at Fulham FC's training ground in Motspur Park on some occasions, in addition to their regular sessions held at Harris Academy Beckenham's site. They will also be given behind-the-scenes access to the training ground and stadium to enhance their knowledge and understanding of what it takes to make it as a professional at the highest level.

Fulham FC U18 Manager, Kit Symons, attended the induction evening for next year's students in early May and has seen the impact such Education and Football programmes can have on a young person's future.

Whilst at the induction, Kit Symons said:

"The model the club will adopt at Harris Beckenham will enhance each player's learning in the classroom and on the training field. Through this programme and the fantastic network of support from the whole club we have no doubt that each student will be given the platform to fulfil their potential and progress onto high levels of football or further education".

Rebecca Hickey, Academy Principal at Harris Academy Beckenham said:

"The Harris Academy Beckenham are extremely excited about working with a Premier League Football Club to develop our pupils. Fulham FC have a track record for creating and delivering successful sport and education programs and we are very much looking forward to working with them over the coming year and beyond. I am in no doubt that all the pupils involved with this programme will be given the platform to fulfil their potential off and on the football pitch by both Harris teaching staff and Fulham FC coaching staff. These are exciting times for our pupils and we are very pleased that the relationship between the Harris Federation and Fulham FC is continuing to grow"

Chief Executive of Fulham Football Club Foundation, Steven Day, added:

"Fulham Football Club Foundation is delighted to partner with Harris Beckenham to offer young people an exciting new programme which combines Education and Football. Students will benefit from playing competitive sport whilst being able to follow their chosen education pathway in a structured framework and earn recognised qualifications. This partnership follows the successful collaboration between the Fulham FC Foundation and other Harris Academy sites over the past few years and I'm extremely proud that the hard work and dedication of staff at both organisations has lead to the introduction of this magnificent programme."   

The programme will officially start in July, with the beginning of pre-season training for all students, before competitive fixtures begin in September.

Teams will play in the newly formed PL/FL Football Development League and the Kent Academies League.

If you are interested in gaining more information about this program or would like a trial for a place please contact Ali Melloul at [email protected]

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/HarrisAcademyPartnership.aspx?#ixzz1z6GWfyCm

WhiteJC

Frei's Progression

The roll call of those Kerim Frei has already scorched is impressive. In three brushes with Chelsea over his inaugural senior season, the young winger has given two European Cup winners in Paulo Ferreira and Jose Bosingwa the runaround while, in the third meeting between the teams, it was Branislav Ivanovic's turn to be left gasping in his opponent's vapour trail. Frei merely smiles when recalling the right-backs he has left dazed and confused. "Not bad going," he says, though the impression lingers that others will soon be joining the list.

Fulham have unearthed a gem in their Austrian-born teenager. The midfielder already feels as if he has been fast-tracked through the system, the jaw-dropping impression made with the under-18s having thrust him into first-team contention within a year of signing professional terms at the club. Last summer he would have pinched himself at the prospect of any game time with Martin Jol's team yet, a year on, he is digesting 25 senior appearances, including six Premier League starts.

"This season has been a huge surprise to me," he says. "Last summer I wouldn't have even thought I would be anywhere near playing in the first-team, but I have had chances. To have played so many senior games is incredible, and I've learned from those experiences: to fight as a team, play your part, help each other. These are qualities I need."

Learning those attributes required to thrive in the top flight is a lengthy process. The raw skill is evident already. He was arguably man of the match in two of the three derbies against Chelsea, but did end up claiming one bottle of sponsors' Champagne, which was collected on the 18-year-old's behalf by his captain at the time, Danny Murphy, in a post-match television interview. "That's going in my gallery back home," he says, even if he is speaking figuratively given he is still currently living in digs. "I'm keeping it, not drinking it. My strengths have always been getting at people, trying to get beyond them and to make something happen. That's what I did in the junior teams, and what I try in the first-team now.

"I remember the nerves ahead of the Carling Cup match at Chelsea, but confidence comes even from the first touch you have of the ball. If you start well, maybe make a good pass, and show a bit of what you can do, it helps so much. Start with a mistake and you can feel your confidence go down, but I got into that game and enjoyed it. From then on, really, I've felt more at ease. Winning that man of the match award was special, and I will treasure it. I don't have a lot of mementos to put in that gallery at the moment... I've not even had time to collect an opponent's shirt."

Defenders may be queuing up to claim his No21 in the years ahead. What makes Frei's progress all the more impressive is the reality that he is a youngster excelling some way from home. Born in Fledkirch, Austria, to a Turkish father and a Moroccan mother, but raised in Switzerland, he is making his name in London with his parents visiting only once or twice a month. Perhaps, given the international nature of his up-bringing, it is only natural that he should be shining abroad.

Leaving Grasshopper Zurich, the club who had nurtured him, was a leap into the unknown. "But if you want to be a bigger player, and if you want to make something out of your life, you have to try," says Frei. "You can't be afraid of anything. And now it seems as if it was the right choice for me. I've learned from watching the likes of Damien Duff and Mousa Dembele, and from speaking to them. They advise, telling me when to do this or do that, when to dribble and when to pass, and you can only improve if you take what they say on board. You can only improve by listening to them."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/FreisProgression.aspx?#ixzz1z6GpoaNI

WhiteJC

The five best Premier League players with 12 months left on their contracts

Arsenal, Fulham, Swansea City and Manchester City players feature on our shortlist.

There are a number of free agents on the market who will make decisions on their future on July 1 when the transfer window officially opens and their contracts expire. These include Chelsea pair Jose Bosingwa and Salomon Kalou.

But what of those who will be in that exact situation in a year's time? The Bosman rule means clubs are under increasing pressure to sell their stars who have just one year remaining, sign them to a new contract, or risk losing them for free. It was one of the reasons Manchester United were able to sign Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund so easily.

Here is our list of the best five or most in-demand Premier League players whose contracts expire in the summer of 2013, and who are attracting a great deal of transfer talk...

Robin Van Persie - Arsenal

The most in-demand man in the Premier League, Robin van Persie won the Golden Boot, the PFA Player of the Year, and the Football Writers Player of the Year individual awards last season. The big problem? Medals for team success he desperately lacks. Even at Euro 2012 with Holland his attempt was a disaster, and choosing to stay at Arsenal is a gamble if he wants medals. Manchester City want him, and it is a rumour which just will not go away, and will not until Van Persie commits himself to the club. Juventus have been strongly linked with signing him, but manager Arsene Wenger has bet an ice cream that he would not leave for Serie A.

Clint Dempsey - Fulham

American Clint Dempsey had an outstanding season last year, scoring 17 Premier League goals. At 29, he has spoken of his ambition to play Champions League football and test himself at a higher level, and Manchester United, and Arsenal have been linked, along with Europa League sides Liverpool and Roma. So far no bids have been reported, and even though Fulham boss Martin Jol had been reported to being resigned to losing his star, as pre-season approaches he will surely now be full of hope that his star may stay and sign a new contract.

Scott Sinclair - Swansea City

Ambitious Swansea star Scott Sinclair is a key man who Michael Laudrup faces a real challenge in keeping at the Liberty Stadium. He was instrumental in helping the Swans achieve promotion, and finished 2010/11 as their second highest scorer behind Danny Graham. The winger, 23, is a superb young talent who has the ability to go on and play for England, and was linked with Liverpool in January before Liverpool took Brendan Rodgers as manager. A 12 month transfer embargo agreed between the two clubs means a move won't happen this summer, but if he doesn't sign a new deal then Swansea may decide to cash in by selling him elsewhere. They don't want to, chairman Huw Jenkins has called for a new deal to be put in front of Sinclair to sign, and going through next season with uncertainty hanging over him is no good for club, player, or manager.

Moussa Dembele - Fulham

Belgian star Moussa Dembele has reinvented himself at Fulham under Martin Jol. Signed by Mark Hughes as a forward, he has evolved his game playing the majority of last season in central midfield. He has attracted interest from Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United and Liverpool, but like Dempsey there has so far been no movement. Dembele is 24 and wants to test himself at a higher level like many of his international teammates, and appears unlikely to want to sign a new contract, but if the right offer, believed to be in the region of £10 million, does not come in then he will not be going anywhere and will see out his contract.

Nigel de Jong - Manchester City

Nigel de Jong is still one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League, and City being willing to sell him tells us several things. It says a lot about Roberto Mancini's intention to play more attacking football, it tells us City may have a younger replacement lined up, and it reveals the strength of City's squad. De Jong made just 11 league starts last season, and you can understand his reticence to stay rather than sign a new deal if he wants to play regularly. He is still 27 and there has been interest from Serie A as well as Arsenal, we just wonder if City are making a mistake in selling him and not being able to convince him to sign a new deal.

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/06/27/the-five-best-premier-league-players-with-12-months-left-on-thei/?

WhiteJC

Pogrebnyak Has 'Practically Signed' for Reading - Agent

Russia striker Pavel Pogrebnyak has "practically signed" for newly promoted English Premier League side Reading, the player's agent told RIA Novosti on Thursday.

The 28-year-old front man is negotiating a move to the Madejski Stadium with his contract with Bundesliga side Stuttgart nearly expired.

He spent the second half of last season on loan at Fulham, scoring five goals in his first three games, and eventually six in 12 matches.

"The contract is not signed yet, it is still in the phase of discussion," Pogrebnyak's agent Oleg Artemov told RIA Novosti. "But it can be said that it is practically signed."

The deal could be done in the next few hours, Artemov added.

Reading director of football Nick Hammond confirmed to the Reading Post last week that the signing was close, and that the club were awaiting a work permit from the Home Office.

Pogrebnyak has scored eight times in 33 appearances for Russia, and made a fleeting appearance as a substitute in the shock 1-0 defeat to Greece at Euro 2012.

Before joining Stuttgart, he won the Russian Premier League and UEFA Cup with Zenit St. Petersburg while playing alongside Andrei Arshavin, now at Arsenal.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120628/174292137.html?

WhiteJC

Southampton join QPR and Fulham in Buttner race

The chase to secure the signature of Vitesse Arnhem's Alexander Buttner is hotting up after Nigel Adkins' Southampton have entered the fray.

Buttner, a left back, visited London during the week, taking a look at the setups at both Fulham and QPR. "That was very impressive," he said.

"Everything was arranged very professionally and the people were very warm."

However, since a deal with either club has yet to be concluded, it is thought that Premier League newcomers Southampton will place a bid and try and tempt the 23 year-old. As it stands, Fulham boss Martin Jol is thought to have bid £1.6 million, while QPR and Southampton would come in at a similar amount. With only one year left on his contract, the fee is unlikely to rise.

Werder Bremen are said to hold an interest in the player too, and Buttner himself said that both the Bundesliga and the Premier League interests him.

"The Premier League or the Bundesliga, both are fantastic leagues. At the moment I can't say more, I have to wait.

"I still have one year left on my Vitesse deal, so a new club first has to agree on a transfer fee."

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/28/3122857/southampton-join-qpr-and-fulham-in-buttner-race-werder-bremen-adkins?

WhiteJC

Fulham close on striker swoop

FULHAM are closing in on the signing of former Hamburg frontman Mladen Petric.

Whites boss Martin Jol has made a new striker one of his main priorities after losing Andy Johnson and Pavel Pogrebnyak this week.

And Jol looks to have beaten Malaga, Deportivo and Real Sociedad to the signing of 31-year-old Petric, who he worked with during his time in charge of Hamburg.

The Croatian smashed 38 goals in 98 games since his switch from Borussia Dortmund in 2008, but was shown the door at the end of the season.

Jol has offered Petric, who struggled with injures last campaign, the chance of a fresh start in England, with the former Grasshopers Zurich and FC Basel frontman due to undergo a medical later today.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/06/28/82029-31278943/?#ixzz1z6ILJBIt