more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(27/06/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 27, 2012, 04:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Marcello's Journey

Back in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, the small medieval town set just in-land from the sun-drenched Campania coast that Marcello Trotta calls home, a feeling of pride is swelling at the local export who is making his mark. Many among the close knit community had pored over reports of goals plundered in that distant and unfamiliar division known as "League One." Casa Trotta was inundated with congratulations when such progress at the lower level yielded a bow in the Premier League.

Now there is even amicable grumbling at the realisation that Napoli, who command the regional support, might have missed out on burgeoning talent born and bred only up the road. "Santa Maria is quite a small place and everyone knows each other there, and I think most of them are proud of what I'm achieving," says the teenage striker as he reflects on recent headway. "They text me, they phone me, they ask about the football, the food, the life over here... and now some of them, as Napoli fans, are saying they want me to go back and play for them. But I'm happy at Fulham. I want to make my name here."

The Italian's ambition is clear. At 19, this has been a breakthrough season for Trotta in the English game, a striker who had excelled in the Development teams having made real strides on the senior scene, first on loan at Wycombe Wanderers in the third tier and, over the campaign's final months, in fleeting appearances in the Fulham first-team fold. There was a debut in the FA Cup tie at Everton at the end of January, and a top flight debut in victory at Bolton in April. Those glimpses of life in Martin Jol's set-up have wetted his appetite for more, with the summer's return home for once an inconvenience to interrupt momentum.

Trotta travels back to Italy to see family and friends armed with first-hand stories from Old Trafford and White Hart Lane, matches he watched from the Fulham bench. Next year he will hope to point to appearances on the turf at such glamorous arenas. Even so, this has been a start and real reason for optimism for a youngster who had originally arrived in this country three years ago armed with a passport, a pair of boots and not a word of English. Ensconced at Napoli's academy from the age of 11, he had left the scouts drooling with his performances for Italy's under-16s. Fulham were the ones who went on to secure his signature on professional terms, and so his was to be a foreign adventure.

"Napoli were disappointed to lose me, and tried to hold me until the end, but I'd made my decision to have a new experience abroad," he says. "A new culture, a new language, a new type of football. I didn't speak a word of English when I arrived – nothing – and made a few mistakes getting by, but it helped me grow. It was a big step, leaving my family and coming here alone. But it helped open my mind a bit. There was no point making a tough decision (to give up and go home) after only a few months. I knew there'd be tough times and, for a while, it was difficult.

"But it has been worth it now. I've developed here at Fulham, adding aggression to my game and being more decisive with my movement, always looking to help the team. That's all good stuff to learn. Perhaps concentrating on my football helped me adjust. I had to focus on my game, so I didn't tend to think so much about missing everyone back home."

He has had to grow up quickly off the pitch, with progress on it accelerated over a spell with Wycombe. Gary Waddock's side were struggling near the foot of League One, the tone already set for a troubled season, but the Italian briefly added bite to their ranks: there were six goals in his first four appearances, and eight in as many games. Waddock described his recruit as "a goal-scoring machine", the hat-trick against Exeter netted gleefully in front of the Trotta family who had flown in from Italy. "A wonderful experience," he says. "I enjoyed every day there: the games, the training, the team. It all helped me a lot.

"I'd been a bit scared at the beginning because it was my first time out on loan, and another step into the unknown. I didn't know what to expect. But, in the end, it went well for me. It was so different from playing reserve team football, a completely different level. My game came on, and that was my target: to get experience and be ready to come back and get some chances."

Opportunities were limited in a subsequent temporary spell at Watford – his impact at the higher level restricted to a 59-minute cameo against Southampton in a 3-0 home defeat – but, once it became clear the likes of Chris Iwelumo, Joe Garner and Troy Deeney would bar his way into the first-team, the spell was swiftly curtailed. "And the day after I came back to Fulham I was on the bench at Manchester United," he adds. "I wanted to test myself in the Championship but I was not going to have chances at Watford. Sometimes you have to accept that. Maybe we will see what happens next season.

"I want to stay here at Fulham, but you have to see what the manager thinks is best for you. It'd be great to get some experience here, but next year you never know. If he says it's better for me to go and play in the Championship on loan then fair enough. I will learn from that. Being involved here this season, even only a bit, has been so important. I want it to be only the start."

This striker's progress has only just begun. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/MarcellosJourney.aspx?#ixzz1yxdi5yyc

WhiteJC

Jol tipped for Ramsey swoop

ulham are ready to make a £5million move for Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey as they look to replace Danny Murphy.

Murphy has left Craven Cottage for Blackburn after Martin Jol decided against offering the 35-year-old a new deal and the Fulham boss is targeting Ramsey as his replacement.

The Wales international found himself on the receiving end of some stick from the Gunners fans at times last season following a loss of form and with Arsene Wenger looking to sign at least one new midfielder this summer, Ramsey may well be surplus to requirements.

Jack Wilshere is also expected to return this season and Wenger has to decide whether Ramsey has a long-term future at the club.

Ramsey has had his problems on the injury front and Wenger may be tempted to take £5million if Fulham follow up their reported interest by making a firm offer.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-tipped-for-ramsey-swoop-1441079.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham Memories

In an exclusive interview with Fultime, the Club's official magazine, former striker Louis Saha discusses the strong affection he still holds for the Team with whom he became a household name.

The Frenchman signed for Fulham in the summer of 2000 and became an instant success as he scored an incredible 10 goals in his first eight matches for the Club. He would end the campaign with 32 goals after playing a huge role in our promotion to England's top flight.

"I really enjoyed that time in my career because I was young and innocent and I wanted to play as much as possible," recalled Louis. "As a result I learned so much. It was a time that went very, very quickly though and even now I'm proud to have played for Fulham and played a part in that early success.

"I was perhaps not playing in the same position when I was at Newcastle and at Metz, where I was more of a winger. When Jean Tigana brought me to Fulham he made me a striker, and I really enjoyed the position.

"In fact, I discovered myself in that role and thankfully never looked back. It was at Fulham where I really established myself as a player and it was a great period for me as a person and for the Team, which was great."

It certainly was a great period for the Team as we won the title at a canter, surpassing the 100 point mark and finding the back of the net 90 times in the league alone.

"Fulham is a Club that is always going to be in my heart because of what we achieved," Saha explained. "We experienced promotion to the Premier League and I felt part of a special Team.

"When I think back to that time, I always think about players like Rufus Brevett, Lee Clark, Luis Boa Morte, Barry Hayles and all the others – it was a great mix. There was a really good set of players and I'll always remember those faces."

A player that is still held in high regard by the Fulham Faithful, Saha admits that a strong relationship with his supporters is imperative to him.

"To have the respect of the fans is so important, because without them there wouldn't be a club to play for," he said. "They are the most important aspect of professional football and they help provide enjoyment for the sport we play. We have to always thank them and it's important to maintain a connection with fans."

The striker has kept tabs on our fortunes since his departure in 2004 and admitted he's delighted to see how the Whites have fared in recent years.

"I always look out for the teams I represented and it's great to see Fulham doing so well and making progress each year," Louis said. "Who knows what the Club can achieve next season."

You can read more from Louis as he discusses his new book, Thinking Inside The Box, in the latest issue of Fultime – available online or instore now.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/FulhamMemories.aspx?#ixzz1yxeW0HTZ

WhiteJC

Fulham set to land Tomas Sivok

According to Spanish newspaper, Marca, Fulham are leading the chase to acquire the signature of current free agent, Tomas Sivok.

Sivok, a centre back, has attracted a lot of interest over the course of this summer after his contract at Turkish side Beisktas expired. Sevilla was expected to be his preferred destination after the Spanish side kept tabs on the Czech Republic international while at Euro 2012, but Marca now strongly suggests Martin Jol holds the upper hand.

Roughly translated, they said: 'In the last few hours, it has become unlikely that [Sivok] will join [Sevilla], as Fulham are making a strong bid for him.'

The paper goes on to cite financial restrictions for the reasons behind Sivok's eventual decision, stating that Fulham have extra funds that Sevilla cannot offer.

Only a few days ago, though, the outlook was entirely different. The player's agent, Jiri Mueller, claimed that Besiktas were also entering the fray as they sought to retain one of their most influential players, alongside Sevilla and an un-named Premier League club - most probably, Fulham.

"We have opened official talks with Sevilla and would like to have things sorted out as soon as possible," said Mueller

"We also have registered interest from a club in the Premier League and Besiktas have come back into the race as they want to keep Tomas."

With 30 caps to his name and with no fee attached to the deal, this could well prove an astute piece of business.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/26/3118189/fulham-set-to-land-tomas-sivok?

WhiteJC

Fulham want to replace outgoing Murphy with Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey

Martin Jol wants to freshen up his midfield with a move for Wales captain Aaron Ramsey after the departure of his own skipper, Danny Murphy.

It is thought that Jol, despite regularly admitting that he wants to add a youthful edge to his Fulham team, wanted to retain Murphy for at least another year because of his appreciation for the former Liverpool man's passing game, and the subtle manner by which he can dictate a game.

Yet, the Ducthman feels he can be replaced and is looking to the higher echelons of the Premier League in order to do so. A move was made for Ramsey in January of 2011, under Mark Hughes, but the loan bid was rebuffed with little thought from the Arsenal camp.

Now, though, competition for spaces at the Emirates is hotting up, especially with Wenger's expected move for Yann M'Villa. Arsenal's French manager would still be loathe to lose his promising midfielder but with a supposed bid of around £5 million, with another £4 added on in additional payments, Wenger could be tempted.

Even then, though, Ramsey himself would consider the move a step down. Jol is prepared to break a stringent wage structure at Craven Cottage and tempt the Welsh international with weekly wages in excess of £40k but with no European football to dazzle Ramsey's eyes, persuading him to sign up will be difficult.

Nonetheless, there is no doubt the move would be a coup for Fulham - a side known more for buying talent on the cheap. At the very least, the signal of intention is a quite great one.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/26/3118254/fulham-want-to-replace-outgoing-murphy-with-arsenals-aaron-ramsey?

WhiteJC

Murphy`s Move

And so, if the tabloid I glanced through as the train rattled towards London this morning is correct, Danny Murphy orchestrated himself a nice little number moving to Ewood Park.

The tabloid reported that Murphy had signed on the dotted line for two years at a reported salary of £30,000 a week.

All I`ll say is that I wish Danny all the best but just like several posted last night, I`m so glad he didn`t choose the option of going to Loftus Road.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285575#ixzz1yxfHHy5n

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy - Fulham's Modern Great

Danny Murphy - the most committed, determined man. Fantastic vision, technique & poise. A real gentleman.

On the 31st of August 2007, Daniel Ben Murphy – Danny – put pen to paper on a one-year deal at Fulham Football Club. Little did anyone know that during Danny's 5-year stint he would be our backbone from the brink of relegation from the Premier League to the cusp of European Glory.

Murphy started his career as a rip-roaring youngster in a Crewe Alexandra side managed by the iconic Dario Gradi in 1993. Always admired for his football brain, Murphy was played as a deep lying forward, scoring 27 goals in a distinguished four-year spell at Gresty Road. In 1997 Murphy was signed by then Liverpool boss, Roy Evans. Murphy enjoyed both domestic and European success in his 7 years at Anfield. He was a pivotal part in perhaps what was the most successful Liverpool team of modern times, which included a cup treble that was as unique as it was brilliant. His success in Liverpool's side during the 2000/2 campaigns produced a call up to the England World Cup squad, only for Murphy to break his foot in the build up to the event. From then on Murphy had spells at Charlton Athletic and Tottenham Hotspur – before ending up at Craven Cottage.

The Craven Cottage turf has been played on by some footballing legends – Johnny Haynes, Bobby Robson, George Best, Pele and Ronaldinho – and now you can add Danny Murphy to that list. Never has the Cottage beared witness to a man whose passing technique was astute as Danny's. He could split a world-class defence with one pass. A born leader, Danny was the backbone of the most successful Fulham team in recent history, his passion on and off the pitch summed up the make up of the man. During our 'Great Escape' to our Europa League run in 2010, Danny summed up the mentality of Fulham. Not only did he score the goal that assured Fulham's Premier League survival, but also the pass that spurred Fulham on to a semi-final win of HSV Hamburg.

If there was ever a time to stand up and be counted, Murphy would be the first to rise to his feet and spur his teammates on. His gritty, determined, never say die demeanour epitomised the fight in Fulham. Historic wins over Manchester United, Chelsea and Juventus all materialised under Danny's orchestration as well as fantastic wins over the likes of QPR, Arsenal and Tottenham. Danny was the main cog in the well-oiled Fulham machine, he made us tick, his recycling of the ball was always on point – as well as his ball retention. A trademark dip in the shoulder to let the ball come across his body never failed to fool opponents and delight the crowd alike.

The title 'Captain Fantastic' is much deserved. Passion, determination and utter professionalism on and off the pitch meant that not only Fulham fans idolise Papa Murph, as he is affectionately known by us Whites. A true gentleman and Mr Fulham. His 5 years at Fulham will go down in history and his legacy will live on forever.

On behalf of every Fulham supporter across the World - Thank you, Danny.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/26/3119120/danny-murphy-fulhams-modern-great?

WhiteJC

Vitesse in advanced discussions with QPR for Fulham target Buttner

In recent weeks, Fulham have been heavily linked with Vitesse left sided defender and midfielder Alexander Buttner and had a reported bid of EU 2 million turned down. Reports emanating from Holland tonight are indicating that QPR are in advanced talks with Vitesse to secure his signature and that Buttner has already met with Mark Hughes.

QPR are looking for a new left back after they didn't take up the option to sign Taye Taiwo on a permanent deal after his loan spell.

It would appear from these reports that QPR are now favourites to secure his signature and could well finalise the deal shortly.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/26/3119298/vitesse-in-advanced-discussions-with-qpr-for-fulham-target-buttner?

ScalleysDad

Great piece of work on Murphy by CC. I had never thought about the mentality of Fulham and Murphy as being the same before. He did 'get it' did'nt he.
Its a shame he won't get a last hurrah and a farewell, bit like McBride there, but I suspect there might be a rendition of "One Danny Murphy" on the opening day.

WhiteJC

Cottagers Czech out stopper

Fulham have reportedly made a late raid to try and sign Czech Republic defender Tomas Sivok from under the noses of Sevilla.

The 28-year-old, who has recently helped his country reach the quarter-finals of Euro 2012, is available on a Bosman free transfer this summer after failing to agree a new contract with Turkish side Besiktas.

And, while Sevilla looked to be favourites to secure Sivok's signature after keeping tabs on him at the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, Spanish newspaper Marca is claiming that Fulham boss Martin Jol will look to hijack the move with a higher offer and take Sivok to Craven Cottage.

The report follows on from Sivok's agent Jiri Mueller's admission that they were due to hold talks with Sevilla, while Besiktas and an un-named English club, thought to be Southampton at the time, were also vying to sign him.

"We have opened official talks with Sevilla and would like to have things sorted out as soon as possible," said Mueller
"We also have registered interest from a club in the Premier League and Besiktas have come back into the race as they want to keep Tomas."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-czech-out-stopper-1441198.html?

WhiteJC

Sivok not set for Saints

Fulham are reportedly set to swoop for Czech Republic defender Tomas Sivok, who was linked to Southampton this week.

The 28-year-old, who has recently helped his country reach the quarter-finals of Euro 2012, is available on a Bosman free transfer this summer after failing to agree a new contract with Turkish side Besiktas.

And, while Sevilla looked to be favourites to secure Sivok's signature after keeping tabs on him at the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine, Spanish newspaper Marca is now claiming that Fulham boss Martin Jol will look to hijack the move with a higher offer and take Sivok to Craven Cottage.

The report follows on from Sivok's agent Jiri Mueller's admission that they were due to hold talks with Sevilla, while Besiktas and an un-named English club, thought to be Southampton at the time, were also vying to sign him.

http://www.clubcall.com/southampton/sivok-not-set-for-saints-1441200.html?

WhiteJC

READING TO BEAT FULHAM TO JORDAN RHODES

READING are poised to pip Fulham to the signing of Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes after pinching Pavel Pogrebnyak from the Craven Cottage club.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/259020/Reading-to-beat-Fulham-to-Jordan-Rhodes/?

WhiteJC

Fulham head the queue to sign Glasgow Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor

Various Scottish newspapers are reporting that Glasgow Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor is effectively a free transfer after refusing to allow his contract to be transferred to the new Rangers.

McGregor wanted to stay but has already lost out on £ 300,000 on past wages and also a potential windfall from a testimonial of £ 1.2 million. His wages were £ 25,000 per week which simply could not be matched by the newco.

A host of clubs have shown their interest in signing McGregor including Sunderland, West Brom and QPR from the Premier League as well as Besitkas and Olmpiakos from Greece. McGregor though would prefer to stay in the UK and Fulham are believed to be the closest to securing his signature on a free transfer.

The 30 year old, 6 ft goalkeeper has played 205 times for Rangers and 21 times for Scotland and has been previously linked with Manchester United. McGregor and Barry Ferguson were famously involved in the "boozegate" scandal when both were suspended after drinking on International duty and each allegedly flicked two fingers to Scottish press during a game against Iceland.

If Mcgregor were to join, where would that leave current no. 2 David Stockdale?

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/27/3120312/fulham-head-the-queue-to-sign-glasgow-rangers-goalkeeper-allan?

WhiteJC

Reading FC and Pogrebynak set for work permit hearing

Reading are putting all their efforts into finalising the free transfer of Pavel Pogrebnyak before moving on to other targets.

The Russia striker, 28, will become Royals' sixth first-team striker when he is granted a work permit at a proposed hearing next week.

Pogrebnyak has returned home to Russia after completing his medical last week and agreeing terms on a reported four-year deal.

Huddersfield hotshot Jordan Rhodes, who netted a stunning 40 goals in 46 games last season, has also been linked with a move to Madejski Stadium.

But any move for the 23-year-old could depend on players heading for the exit door at Reading

Royals' director of football Nick Hammond said: "Our main focus right now is to complete on the Pogrebnyak deal and then we will look again at where we sit.

"We already have five strikers at the club and good ones at that."

Brian McDermott's side have also been linked with a sensational reunion with former midfield ace Gylfi Sigurdsson.

But the Reading Post has learned that Sigurdsson and his representatives have not held talks with McDermott nor owner Anton Zingarevich.

Sigurdsson would have been welcomed back to the club with open arms.

But he looks set to join either Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur, who can easily afford to pay Hoffenheim the £8million transfer fee and the Iceland international's wages.

Hoffenheim have told the 22-year-old that he has until the end of this month to sort out his future, which will be in England.

McDermott and Hammond have been working around the clock for a number of weeks and have their final transfer targets in mind ahead of the start of the 2012/13 Premier League season.

Hammond said: "We have spent a lot of time working together and we are happy with where we are at right now. Discussions are on-going all the time.

"Most years clubs generally get an early deal done for pre-season training and get their players back, then you see a flurry of activity as we get closer to the end of the window."

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2115962_reading_fc_and_pogrebynak_set_for_work_permit_hearing?

WhiteJC

Fulham to play FC Lokomotive Leipzig in pre-season friendly

An official from German team Lokomotive Leipzig has confirmed that they will play Fulham at their stadium on the 18th July.Their coach Mark Rose said "It is very attractive to play such a high class team as Fulham. Fulham is packed with Internationals, it is an honour to play against these opponents."

Originally Fulham were due to play in a tournament in China along with Real Betis but were not given sufficient bank guarantee's for the funds so withdrew.

This leaves us with 3 friendly's announced now with games against Wycombe and Charlton already in place for the end of July and early August. I'm sure the club are working hard to organise additional games in advance of the start of the new season.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/27/3120448/fulham-to-play-fc-lokomotive-leipzig-in-pre-season-friendly?