more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (29/06/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 29, 2012, 04:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

A Craven Cottage Day Out

This summer why not treat yourself to a great day out behind the scenes at Fulham Football Club on our Cottage Tour, followed by a perfect Sunday Lunch.

Explore the Club's unique 19th century ground on a tour that will take you past the Michael Jackson statue, along the riverside and into Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed's box. You will then be seated in one of our hospitality lounges where you will enjoy a delicious three-course Sunday roast.

Our dedicated team will look after your every need to ensure you have a great Fulham experience.

This unmissable Tour and Sunday Lunch, at London's original football club, is just £38 for adults, £18 for juniors and £9.95 for children under five.

For more info visit www.fulhamfc.com/cottagetours.

Book now

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/CravenCottageatSummertime.aspx?#ixzz1z9LWyequ

WhiteJC

Striker Hole Filled?

Being a little short of strikers, what with Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson now residing at Loftus Road and Pavel Pogrebnyak doing the dirty on us, Martin Jol has moved quickly to plug one gap.

The tabloids are reporting that Jol has moved to secure the service of the Croatian striker, Mladen Petric after his contract at Hamburg, was allowed to run down.

Now, whilst we must confess to knowing very little about Petric; it isn`t the case for Jol who was in charge at Hamburg when Petric was there.

It`ll be interesting to see how he gets on in the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285744#ixzz1z9Ll2rOo

WhiteJC

Farewell

Any late hopes we had of Pavel Pogrebnyak showing a bit of loyalty to the Fulham cause look to have been dashed.

The Russian striker, who Fulham rescued from obscurity last season has agreed to sign on the dotted line for newly promoted Reading, having signed on a free transfer from Stuggart.

The deal will be for four years as long as a work permit can be secured, we`d like to wish him well but it sort of sticks in the throat!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285745#ixzz1z9LxBjvs

WhiteJC

Next Captain?

Now that Dan the man has gone who will be our new captain?

Hangerland or Hughes as both have captained there country.

I would go for Hangerland as he is an ever present.

An outside bet could be Schwarzer or even Diarra.

Who would you pick?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285746#ixzz1z9M8ayN2

WhiteJC

Petric Signs

Fulham Football Club is delighted to confirm the free signing of Mladen Petric on a one-year deal.

The 31-year-old Croatian international, joins from Hamburg following the recent expiration of his contract with the German side. He made 98 appearances for Hamburg and scored 38 league goals after signing from Borussia Dortmund in 2008.

Petric started his senior career with Swiss side FC Baden in 1998. He joined Grasshopper in 1999, making 114 appearances for the Zurich-based club before moving to Basel in 2004 where he registered 38 goals in 72 league appearances. He spent the 2007/08 season at Borussia Dortmund before signing for Hamburg where he played under Fulham Manager Martin Jol.

He helped Hamburg reach the semi-final of the Europa League in 2010 and scored the opening goal at Craven Cottage. Fulham overcame a 1-0 deficit to win 2-1 to reach the final.

Petric has made 44 international appearances for Croatia and has scored 12 goals which included the winner against England in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

Speaking at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground on Thursday afternoon, Mladen Petric said:

"I like the Premier League and it has always been one of my wishes to come here. I played with Hamburg against the Club two years ago in the Europa League. It was very nice to play at Craven Cottage with a fantastic crowd and I have enjoyed a good relationship with every member of the Club I have met since. 

"I'm very happy to be part of what is happening at Fulham. The Club is doing very well and that was why I decided to come here. I know the Manager well and I know that he is always looking to strengthen his attacking options and I hope that we can do even better next season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/PetricSigns.aspx?#ixzz1z9MNejDU

WhiteJC

Fulham make first summer signing by snapping up ex-Hamburg striker

Fulham have completed the signing of forward Mladen Petric.

The 31-year-old Croatia international has joined on a free transfer, signing a one-year deal.

Main man: Mladen Petric is set to join Fulham after being released by Hamburg

He had been a free agent since his contract with Hamburg recently expired.

He told his new club's official website, www.fulhamfc.co.uk: 'I like the Premier League and it has always been one of my wishes to come here.

Petric has also played in Switzerland with FC Baden and Grasshoppers as well as Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund before joining Hamburg, where he worked under current Cottagers boss Martin Jol.

He added: 'I played with Hamburg against the club two years ago in the Europa League.

'It was very nice to play at Craven Cottage with a fantastic crowd and I have enjoyed a good relationship with every member of the club I have met since.

He's got previous: Petric scores a free kick against Fulham in the Europa League

'I'm very happy to be part of what is happening at Fulham. The club is doing very well and that was why I decided to come here.

'I know the manager well and I know that he is always looking to strengthen his attacking options - and I hope that we can do even better next season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2166081/Fulham-sign-Mladen-Petric.html#ixzz1z9MgcsG3

WhiteJC

Petric pens one-year deal
by DAN on JUNE 28, 2012

Fulham's new Croatian signing likes scoring sensational goals at the Cottage

Fulham have completed their first major signing of the summer bringing in free agent Mladen Petric on a one-year deal.

The Croatian forward will always be written into Fulham folklore for that majestic free-kick at the Hammersmith End that threatened to ruin the Europa League run back in 2010, before those two brilliant goals from Simon Davies and Zoltan Gera completed a compelling comeback. Now 31, Petric was released at the end of his four-year contract by the German side, who were managed by Martin Jol when the former Grasshoppers Zurich attacker moved from Borussia Dortmund in 2008.

As well as striking a mean dead-ball, Petric is versatile and can play either as an out-and-out striker, as he did with surprising success when he joined Dortmund from FC Basel in 2007, in the 'hole' behind a forward or as a narrow member of a front three. He did, of course, score the goal that sent Steve McClaren scrambling for his brolly at Wembley with a 25-yard strike that meant England missed out on Euro 2008. Petric was left out of Slaven Bilic's squad for this year's European championships with the departing national coach admitting it was a tough decision to omit such 'a quality player who has done a lot for our side'.

Petric scored seven Bundesliga goals in his 29 appearances during his final season with Hamburg – three of them were penalties – but he struggled for form and fitness midway through the campaign and he admitted the chance to play in England was a real factor in his decision to join Fulham, although it might be stretching it to say he has fond memories of that unforgettable night at the Cottage:

I like the Premier League and it has always been one of my wishes to come here.

It was very nice to play at Craven Cottage with a fantastic crowd and I have enjoyed a good relationship with every member of the club I have met since. I'm very happy to be part of what is happening at Fulham. The club is doing very well and that was why I decided to come here.

I know the manager well and I know that he is always looking to strengthen his attacking options – and I hope that we can do even better next season.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/06/petric-pens-one-year-deal/?

WhiteJC

Letter from America: Jol's the man with a plan
by DAN on JUNE 28, 2012

In the first of his 'Letters from America', the host of Cottage Talk Russ Goldman explains why he backs Martin Jol's judgement and believes the Dutch coach can take Fulham even higher

I wasn't the only one who raised a few eyebrows at Martin Jol's early decisions when he took over from Mark Hughes last summer. He broke up the Hangeland-Hughes axis, shifting the Northern Irish skipper to right back to accommodate Philippe Senderos, who had an excellent first full season at Fulham. I liked the way he wasn't sticking to the established formula and wasn't afraid to make changes.

There were some noticeable disappointments in the early weeks as the Whites continued to look worryingly toothless on the road and the early end to our European advantage still rankles, but it became clear that Jol was trying to change the footballing philosophy at Motspur Park, a big project that was last begun when Roy Hodgson joined a sinking ship back in 2008. Since that period, Fulham have always improved in the second half of the season – and getting us out of the blocks quickly is Jol's main task come August.

The switch from a staid 4-4-2 to the fluidity of the continent (is it a 4-2-3-1, a 4-3-3?) represented radical change. Everyone at Stamford Bridge dismissed our chances when we saw that he'd left out Zamora and Johnson, preferring young Orlando Sa up front on his own and shifting Moussa Dembele to midfield. In the first instance, he laid down a marker ahead of the upcoming transfer window and Dembele's redeployment proved a masterstroke.

Jol's promotion of some of our burgeoning talent is perhaps the most exciting aspect of his reign. Fulham haven't really bought through young talent since Jean Tigana nurtured the likes of Sean Davis and Zat Knight but, under Jol, Fulham have invested heavily in their academy set-up – bolstering their under-18 squad with a number of impressive signings – and the emergence of Kerim Frei, who frightened the life out of Chelsea the League Cup derby, was followed by Alex Kacaniklic, who took the confidence of a loan spell at Watford, straight into the first team.

Jol's not averse to playing 'horses for courses' and tweaking the tactics based on how the opposition will play. It's less programmed and more proactive, which his side far less predictable. That's tricky for the manager in the other dugout but it means there's a real excitement about what the boss could do every weekend.

Jol's transfer activity has been a debating point throughout the season but it is clear that he's planning meticulously. Fulham shipped out an unhappy Bobby Zamora and found a ready-made replacement in Pavel Pogrebnyak. That didn't look likely when you looked at it in January – and obviously Jol will have enter the market for a striker again. But doubting Jol's eye for a player is exceptionally harsh when you see the talent he's identified during his time in football.

He's clearly able to get the most out of his players. Clint Dempsey had a remarkable season – the numbers just blow you away – but even those who had a slow start were able to flourish. John Arne Riise, who began the campaign looking like a pale imitation of the energetic sibling determined to get one over on his brother when Roma visited the Cottage a couple of seasons ago, looked back to his very best by the end of the season.

Most importantly, Jol's got a plan for the future. He wants to offer young talent a chance to shine, which is so encouraging for those on the fringes of the first-team squad. Take Pajtim Kasami as an example. He's not made the sort of impact his early Europa League displays hinted at but since Christmas he's been in superb shape for the reserves. Jol's promotion of Briggs, Frei, Kacaniklic and Sa must have helped the Swiss teenager snub a swift return to Italy in January. That's got to be the first time a Fulham player has rebuffed advances from Juventus – and that's why Jol's plan is worth watching.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/06/letter-from-america-jols-the-man-with-a-plan/?

WhiteJC

Wolves keen on Savic loan as Fulham eye move for Swansea's Sinclair

Wolves want to take Manchester City defender Stefan Savic, 21, on loan.

Fulham have signed former Hamburg forward Mladen Petric, 31, on a one year deal. They are also monitoring Scott Sinclair's contract talks at Swansea.

While Gremio are showing interest in Manchester United midfielder Anderson.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2166157/Wolves-want-Stefan-Savic-loan-Manchester-City.html#ixzz1z9NpzFw4

WhiteJC

Fulham's Newest Recruit - Mladen Petric

Strong, acrobatic with a venomous shot - Welcome to Fulham Football Club, Mladen Petric.

On the 28th of June 2012 Fulham Football Club formally announced the signing of Mladen Petric, a 31 year old Croatian international. Some of you may be asking who? Some of you may already be familiar with Petric – mainly for his wonderful free-kick that he scored against Fulham in the semi-final of the Europa League in 2010.

Petric's upbringing is similar to our very own Pajtim Kasami – born on New Years Day 1981 in Dubrave, at that time part of SFR Yugoslavia – before moving to Switzerland as a young boy. Petric holds Swiss citizenship and amassed a number of appearances in the Swiss League for Baden Baden, GCZ Grasshopper and FC Basel. Petric started his career at Grasshopper Club Zurich and in 200 appearances in the Swiss Axpo League Petric scored 72 goals, he finished as the leagues topscorer for FC Basel in 2006-7 with 19 goals – earning himself a move to the Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund for an undisclosed fee.

Initially, Mladen was played out of position by Dortmund as the head of a diamond in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation, sitting behind the strikers in a deep lying forwards position – used as a creator for the two strikers. Quickly it was realised that his most effective position was as a striker, and predominantly with Dortmund he was played up front with a partner. Petric had a fine first season as was one of the leagues top scorers, popping up with assists and goals in big games for instance in the final of the German Cup against Bayern Munich. After two seasons, 29 appearances and 13 goals he was transferred to Martin Jol's Hamburger SV.

Petric's arrival at Hamburger SV meant that fellow striker Mohamed Zidan was transferred to Dortmund. Petric continued his trait of producing big games, scoring all 4 goals in Hamburgers two-legged German Cup win over Bochum as well as a picturesque free-kick in the semi-final of the Europa League, which Hamburg went on to lose to Fulham. In 98 appearances for Hamburg, Mladen scored 38 goals.

The new Fulham signing is an established international for Croatia, making 44 appearances and scoring 12 goals – including 4 goals against Andorra in Euro 2008 qualifying. Petric also appeared for Croatia at Euro 2008 in the team that was knocked out by Turkey on penalties.

Petric is 6 ft 1 and left footed – well known for his set piece ability but also for his ability in the air. Whilst Petric is not the fastest player his ball control is superb, his strength and athleticism means he has no problem playing as a lone striker or as a pair. Petric, whilst being is tall is also acrobatic – scoring bicycle and overhead kicks in his time at Hamburg. He possesses a powerful left foot and is capable of shooting from range and has a good volleying technique. He has a good range of passing and a great ability to retain the ball.

Hopefully this short post tells you a bit more about Mladen and what we should expect from him in the coming season.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/28/3124408/fulhams-newest-recruit-mladen-petric?

WhiteJC

Jol targets deal for Tottenham's forgotten man Bentley after serious knee injury

David Bentley has been given a career lifeline by Martin Jol at FUlham after the Dutchman approached Tottenham about signing the crocked midfielder.

Former England international Bentley suffered a serious knee injury early last season while on loan at West Ham.

Buffers: David Bentley is keen to get his career back on track after injury

His career had hit the buffers since his £15million move from Blackburn to Tottenham, for whom he has not appeared since November 2010.

He ended the 2011 season on loan at Birmingham and had looked to reestablish himself in the Championship with West Ham, a hope hich was dashed in October.

But now Jol, who had already left Spurs when Bentley moved to White Hart Lane in 2008, wants to take the winger on loan or permanently for a nominal fee, according to the Daily Mirror.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2166350/Fulham-want-Tottenhams-David-Bentley.html#ixzz1zBxdrzRP

WhiteJC

Lazio can't agree upfront payment for Yilmaz so Trabzonspor start negotiations with Fulham

Ali Egesel has told an Italian newspaper that Lazio are still very keen on Yilmaz and want to get a deal finalised. The issue is although they've now agreed to pay the upfront payment in 2 instalments rather than 4, Trabsonspor still want all of the EU 5 million up front.

Ali Egesel is due to fly to Milan today to meet with officials of Lazio to discuss the deal in more detail and try to get the 5 million all paid up front.

Trabzonspor though are now becoming tired of the protracted deal and Yilmaz's agent has confirmed they are now in neogotiations with Fulham.

It appears that the race for Yilmaz's signature is now between Fulham and Lazio but my feeling is that his agent is using our interest to push Lazio into agreeing the payment plan that Trabzonspor want.

The deal is not dead yet for Fulham but as long as Lazio can agree the fee with Trabsonspor, I fear his Lazio bound.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/29/3125446/lazio-cant-agree-upfront-payment-for-yilmaz-so-trabzonspor-start?

WhiteJC

Petric Portfolio

Mladen Petric became Fulham's first major signing ahead of the 2012/13 season, joining on a free transfer from Hamburger SV. He scored 61 goals and made 23 assists in 136 appearances for the German club.

The Croatian striker will be a familiar face for Fulham fans, having hit a wonder strike for his former team at Craven Cottage three seasons ago. Petric impressed in both legs of that UEFA Europa League semi-final, although it was his new team that made it through to the final.

He has since described that stunning free-kick against the Whites as the best goal of his career. Fans that have viewed his 'best bits' on Youtube will no doubt agree that the striker has a penchant for a spectacular strike!

Petric will be well-known to Fulham Manager Martin Jol too; he worked under the Dutchman at the Hamburg club during the 2008/09 season, scoring 20 goals in 42 matches.

The player actually started his career in Switzerland having moved there with his family as a young boy. He went on to play for FC Baden, Grasshopper Zürich and FC Basel.

He may have been known for his exploits at the other end of the pitch, but that didn't stop the player from pulling on the goalkeeper's jersey in Basel's 2-2 draw against AS Nancy in a UEFA Cup match after stopper Franco Costanzo was sent off. Keeping his side in the game, Petric would save Mickaél Chrétien's resulting penalty.

Prior to enjoying success at Hamburg, Petric also lined up for fellow Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund, who he joined in June 2007. In his only season at Westfalenstadion he helped the club reach the German Cup final. Despite netting a stoppage-time equaliser, his goal failed to inspire Dortmund to victory as Bayern Munich snatched a 2-1 win.

With more than 40 caps for Croatia, Petric has certainly played his part for his country over the years. Although he would miss out on this summer's 2012 European Championship, he made a key contribution at Euro 2008 where he helped Croatia defeat Germany on their way to topping Group B.

In qualifying for Euro 2008, Petric became the first Croatian to score more than three competitive goals in one game following his four in the 7-0 rout of Andorra. He also came off the bench to score his country's third in the 3-2 defeat of England at Wembley. Not only did his strike condemn England to their first competitive defeat at the new Wembley, but it also denied them qualification.

After the match, he refused to swap his shirt, going on to say: "That was the proudest moment of my career and I wouldn't swap this jersey for anything."

Away from football, Petric's favourite other sport is boxing. There is a series of boxing-themed photos on the player's personal website (www.mladenpetric.com) – one of which sees our new striker standing alongside legendary American boxing promoter Don King.

Born on the 1st of January 1981, our new forward also shares his birthday with former Croatian goal hero Davor Šuker, French defensive legend Lilian Thuram, ex-Fulham midfielder Steven Davis, Arsenal and England's Jack Wilshere, tennis player David Nalbandian and actor Verne Troyer, aka Mini-Me from the Austin Powers series.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/June/PetricPortfolio.aspx?#ixzz1zBylLPBM

WhiteJC

Bentley a Possibility?

One of the forgotten men of English football could be heading towards Craven Cottage.

Rumours are spreading that David Bentley, currently languishing as a squad man at White Hart Lane, could be heading to Craven Cottage to resurrect a career that has been blighted by injury in recent times.

Reportedly, Jol is looking towards getting Bentley on loan or on a cut-price deal.

Could David Bentley do a job for Fulham?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285825#ixzz1zBz5fAv0

WhiteJC

Fulham Going Dutch (Again)

Martin Jol`s quest to bolster the ranks next season has, if the tabloid press are correct, him looking towards his native Holland.

According to one rumour that has surfaced, Fulham are in the race to bring Alexander Buttner to Craven Cottage.

Currently on the books of Vitesse Arnhem, Buttner is rated in the £2 million class and is also attracting attention from Southampton and Queens Park Rangers.

Time to get that persuasive tongue working Martin!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=285827#ixzz1zBzaZVYE

WhiteJC

Petric: Fulham's unglamorous, yet effective signing

Mladen Petric was lucky. Fulham's new signing is the second son in his family and if he had been the first he almost certainly wouldn't have become a footballer. It's said that at an early age his elder brother Josip looked the better player, but his father distrusted sport as a profession and insisted on him gaining an education. Josip went on to work as a mechanic with his father in the Audi factory in Neuenhof, the Swiss town where Mladen grew up.

Petric was born in Dubrave, Bosnia, on 1 January 1981 – meaning, as he has always been quick to point out, that he shares a birthday with Davor Suker, whose status as Croatia's greatest striker remains beyond dispute – and emigrated to Switzerland when he was two. The Fulham forward even represented his adopted home at Under-16 level, but insists he has always felt a Croat.

Yet despite making his international debut in South Korea in November 2001, he must have had his doubts about the wisdom of his choice. Petric missed out on the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, and had won just seven caps when he was recalled by Slaven Bilic, as the new Croatia coach shifted away from the very static 3-4-1-2 formation employed by previous manager Zlatko Kranjcar to a more fluid system.

Petric was the ideal forward for that. "He's strong in the air and he has a great feeling for the game," Bilic said. "He's patient, strong on the ball and a very modern player. He's not a classic finisher, but he knows how to score and that's what's important."

He could hold the ball up and win headers but he was also comfortable drifting back into midfield and out to the flanks – as you'd expect from a player who began his career as a midfielder. At Basel, in fact, for whom he played 72 matches between 2004 and 2007, the media and fans called him 'Supertechniker' (super technician).

That is perhaps best seen in his long-range shooting. England felt the full force of that in the infamous 3-2 defeat to Croatia at Wembley that cost them their place at Euro 2008 – it was Petric's 25-yard shot that gave Croatia the lead again after England had come from two down to draw level. Fulham have also felt the full force of his left foot: he scored a superb free-kick for Hamburg at Craven Cottage in the Europa League semi-final in 2010.

Petric, who has signed for Fulham after four years with the German club, is presumably seen as a replacement for Pavel Pogrebnyak – who was Bobby Zamora's replacement – in a deal that makes perfect sense. Pogrebnyak had a fine start to his loan spell at Craven Cottage last season and ended up with eight goals in 12 games but, although he does occasionally have purple patches, he has never been a consistent player.

At his best, Pogrebnyak can look unstoppable, a powerful presence who can hold the ball up and strike it as well as anybody. The problem is that on other days he bumbles about as though he's never seen a football before, as capable of missing from six yards as he was unstoppable from 20 a week earlier. Petric is more mobile, offers a similar level of aerial ability and is a far better technician.

At 31 he's not going to help bring down the average age of the squad, a stated goal of the club, but as a free transfer the Fulham boss, Martin Jol, who coached him at Hamburg, evidently decided he was too much of a bargain to pass up. He's not going to be prolific and age may restrict how many games he can play, but Petric is versatile and should still be able to start 20 or so games a season. He may not be a glamorous signing, but he ought to be an effective one.

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/petric-fulhams-unglamorous-yet-effective-signing/?

WhiteJC

Prem outfits join Sivok chase

Tomas Sivok's agent claims Premier League duo Everton and Fulham have expressed an interest in the Czech Republic international defender.

Valencia are also said to be keen, along with their Primera Liga rivals Sevilla.

Sivok's assured performances at Euro 2012 have helped to raise his profile, while the fact that he will soon be a free agent has not gone unnoticed.

His representative admits the 28-year-old now has plenty of options to consider, with it possible that he could be plying his trade in the Premier League next season.

"We have been in touch with Everton, Fulham and Valencia," Jiri Muller told isport.cz.

There is, however, still a chance that Sivok will agree to stay on at Besiktas.

His contract with the Turkish outfit is due to expire on 30th June, but they remain keen to tie him down on fresh terms.

"Besiktas are very much back in the game," added Muller.

"It will depend on the offer and Tomas' feelings.

"He wants to quietly think things over because every day there are more clubs showing an interest in his services."

http://www.teamtalk.com/everton/7851470/Prem-outfits-join-Sivok-chase?

WhiteJC

Jonathan Wilson on 'lucky' Mladen Petric
by DAN on JUNE 29, 2012

Petric celebrates scoring the crucial Croatian third goal on that horrible night at Wembley
This is a great piece on Fulham's new Croatian by the always readable Jonathan Wilson.

Fulham's new signing is the second son in his family and if he had been the first he almost certainly wouldn't have become a footballer. It's said that at an early age his elder brother Josip looked the better player, but his father distrusted sport as a profession and insisted on him gaining an education. Josip went on to work as a mechanic with his father in the Audi factory in Neuenhof, the Swiss town where Mladen grew up.

Interestingly for tactical nerds like myself, Wilson credits Slaven Bilic's shift away from the rather regimented 3-4-1-2 system employed by his predecessors as giving Petric the right to roam. The national team coach, who agonised for hours reportedly over whether to take the 31 year-old to these European Championships, raves about Petric:

He's strong in the air and he has a great feeling for the game," Bilic said. "He's patient, strong on the ball and a very modern player. He's not a classic finisher, but he knows how to score and that's what's important."

Those who hadn't really encountered Petric before he scored that stunning free-kick at the Cottage, which for a long while looked like the sucker punch that had ruined the club's biggest night, won't appreciate his versatility. He was only converted into a forward when he moved into German football as he spent most of his three years with FC Basel as a midfielder. It is entirely possible that Martin Jol might consider him the perfect replacement for Danny Murphy as a deep-lying playmaker, although I'd prefer Pajtim Kasami – who certainly didn't shirk a challenge during the Europa League run – to be given a go in that role. Wilson points out that the Basel fans dubbed Petric 'Supertechniker' (which loosely translates as the super technician).

As with anyone who's had it hard, Petric knows the value of hard work. It's earned him a hell of a living. His international fame – and a spot in the mind of every Croatian, English football fan and Fulham supporter. That's before he's even pulled on a black and white shirt.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/06/jonathan-wilson-on-lucky-mladen-petric/?

WhiteJC

Fulham close to agreeing a deal with Bayer Leverkusen for defender Kadlec

A report just out from the Dutch press have advised that Fulham are close to agreeing a deal to sign Czech left back, Michal Kadlec from Bayer Leverkusen.

The 27 year old defender generally plays as left back but can also play as a centre back and played 4 games for the Czech Replublic during 2012. Since 2008, Kadlec has played 103 times for Leverkusen and has made a total of 38 appearances for the Czech Replublic.

The Dutch web-site, ELF Voetbal are claiming the deal is nearly finalised and he is due for a medical in the coming days.

Interestingly, we've also been heavily linked with Buttner who tends to play left back (he can also play on the left wing) and also with centre back Tomas Sivok. As we currently have 2 left backs and 3 main centre backs, it does question whether one or more of our defenders may be leaving? The area of defence most people thought would be targeted immediately would be the right back position but Danny Simpson apart, most of our alleged targets play in the centre or on the left.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/6/29/3125786/fulham-close-to-agreeing-a-deal-with-bayer-leverkusen-for-defender?

WhiteJC

THIS AARON RAMSEY TO FULHAM RUMOUR IS A CURIOUS ONE

I was very shocked to find out that one of Fulham's poster boys has decided to jump ship now that his contract has come to an end.

I am talking about the seemingly ageless Danny Murphy who has swapped the middle class Craven Cottage for the tops turvy roller coaster ride that is going on at Ewood Park.

Word on the street was that QPR made a late bid for the Premiership journey man but were unable to offer what Steve Kean could and so Murphy will be a Blackburn Rovers player next season. If you thought that was strange then you should see who The Daily Mail think Fulham are lining up for a replacement.

Wales captain Aaron Ramsey!

Reports are saying that even though Ramsey is settled at Arsenal he may be forced to leave due to some imminent transfers for example the much talked about Yann M'Villa but it seems that they are jumping the gun a little bit.

Arsenal haven't actually signed another midfielder yet and even if all the rumours are true about M'Villa then surely the Brazilian Denilson would be the one Wenger lets go not the young and highly promising Welshmen.

Aside from a few shaky displays toward the end of last season Ramsey has returned from his horrendous injury at the hands – or should I say feet – of Ryan Shawcross with aplomb and was rewarded for his efforts by receiving the armband for his country when under the late great Gary Speed.

He shows maturity, patience on the ball and good passing. All attributes that Arsene Wenger believes to be essential for any holding midfielder so why on earth he would be considering selling him to a fellow London club is beyond me.

Stranger things have happened however and although I think due to Ramsey's age he won't be let go by Wenger I think that, as a replacement for Murphy, Ramsey would be great. Right now he is a squad player for a team that is used to playing in all the major competitions and may benefit from being made the dictator of midfield.

He would bring a new injection of energy and vision to this Fulham side that is trying to be reinvented by Martin Jol. Jol has made the clever decision that in order to bring the club forward he must move away from the blueprint of Roy Hodgson and apply his own philosophy on the club. This has been shown by the new and exciting players Jol has brought in and helped to adapt to the rigours of the Premier League. Ramsey could be the marquee signing if somehow Jol could convince him to move.

A player like Ramsey and a strong centre forward that will get you goals are needed more than a new poultry free owner of Blackburn Rovers for Fulham next season. Without them they will certainly struggle to maintain a top half finish and a push for Europa League places.

The likeliness of Aaron Ramsey himself swapping the Emirates for Craven Cottage is about as likely as Mario Balotelli chucking his career as a footballer to go and live on an island somewhere and spend the rest of his days fishing in peace and serenity but then again Chelsea did sign Steve Sidwell.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2012/06/uncategorised/this-aaron-ramsey-to-fulham-rumour-is-a-curious-one?