watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New roof on Johnny Haynes Stand

Started by bulgariawhite, July 02, 2012, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulgariawhite

It's about time. It was an embarassment with TV coverage. Will any sponsor's name be on the roof, or should it be just Jonny Haynes. With a sponsor's name at least it will be maintained as we get new sponsor contracts. What do you think?

bulgariawhite

I feel really embarassed left the 'H' out of Johnny Sorry

TWFL

I saw a photo recently. I thought it looked very smart

mrpimlico

It was updated earlier today on here http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=23025.0

Is it my eyes..have the seats been taken out?

Two Ton Ted

It's your eyes! The seats are proper mahogany dark wood so it looks just black.

It'll be a said day if they ever replace the seats in the Johnny Haynes stand for those orrible plastic things.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

MJG

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on July 02, 2012, 12:15:23 PM

It'll be a said day if they ever replace the seats in the Johnny Haynes stand for those orrible plastic things.
given how small the seats are if we replaced them with 21st century size seats it would half the capacity.

jarv

MJG..... 064.gif   A tribute to the 21st century diet.

VicHalomsLovechild

It's a listed building and given it's age I guess the corrugated roof contained asbestos so length discussions probably took place prior to any work happening.

mrpimlico

Quote from: MJG on July 02, 2012, 12:47:31 PM
Quote from: Two Ton Ted on July 02, 2012, 12:15:23 PM

given how small the seats are if we replaced them with 21st century size seats it would half the capacity.

That's the thing, it doesn't look black/dark, it looks concrete grey.

WhiteJC

New roof being built on the Johnny Haynes Stand at Craven Cottage. Compared to the old one it looks pretty smart! ‪#ffc‬ pic.twitter.com/2MMLNm3B

MOR :

Quote from: mrpimlico on July 02, 2012, 12:10:32 PM
It was updated earlier today on here http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=23025.0

Is it my eyes..have the seats been taken out?

Yes some of the seats in the Enclosure were taken out so as the scaffolding could be put in...but once the roof is finished the seats will be put back.

Holders

Pardon my ignorance, and I do think that the new roof looks better than the old corrugated asbestos (I wonder of we got a grant to replace it?) but I presume we wouldn't have been allowed to put a modern pent roof on it - like the Riverside? I appreciate it's a listed building but the circa 2000 design for a new stadium was for a bowl with new roof all round.

Can anyone throw any light, or is it simply a decision to keep the building traditional, albeit with a roof that isn't going to fall in? Or maybe not to tempt the planners' and residents' generosity given that we want permission for the Riverside development.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Two Ton Ted

I think the the cast iron framework for the roof is listed, hence we cannot cantilever it, nor I guess add another tier without major planning approval.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

ron

It's good to see a new brand spanking new roof on there...which will put an end to rain weeping through the old damaged roofing sheets, but sad in a way that with the expenditure comes the fact that the structure is now fixed in time the way it is, rather than being eventually raised to a higher cantilevered structure with the stanchions at the front minimised (I don't think the framework is listed).

Rangers did exactly that with the old redbrick stand at Ibrox....but then again, look what's happened to them !

Mike

I have three church buildings that are listed, Grade 1, grade 2*, and grade 2. There is often a misconception that just because a building is listed means it can't be changed. That is not strictly true. There are ways to change, improve and maintain listed buildings. I am pleased that they are improving the stand and I think the stand and the cottage add character that is missing in so many other stadiums; but if a case could be made for an extra tier it is not out the bounds of possibility. I pleased to say I don't think though that will happen in the foreseeable future. The new roof makes an instant impact and enhances the stand, well done Fulham.
1879 a good year for football

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

SG

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 03, 2012, 11:00:03 AM
...fan of clean gables...

You should have the book thrown at you for jokes like that ..