more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (05/07/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 05, 2012, 04:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fletcher Rumour

The tabloid press obviously believe we`re not one of the more news-worthy Premier League clubs as news relating to anything to do with Craven Cottage remains a little scarce.

But we have stumbled upon one transfer rumour that links us with a possible move for the Wolves striker, Steven Fletcher.

Fletcher, looking for a return to the Premier League, is said to be interesting Sunderland, Stoke and Fulham although when it comes to a possible move Wolves, under the managerial leadership of Stale Solbakken, look set to play hard-bal with a fee of £10 million being mentioned.

I`d leave well be, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=286394#ixzz1ziQdkfDy

WhiteJC

Who Next to Fill the Fulham Right Back Position?

Editor's note: The following is guest poster @themetaknight's solution to the major hole at right back currently facing Martin Jol. The hole at the striker spot has been much chronicled over the past few weeks as the transfer window opened, but the right back position is a much less talked about – and a much more difficult to monitor – situation.  We've seen how right back is a very fickle position and they are often at the mercy of a manager's preference, and with Fulham going through so many managers in the recent times, it's been a position of little consistency. I would like to thank Nick a ton for putting in the hard work this post required.

The Fulham right back position has gone through many changes over the past couple of years. Under Roy Hodgson, John Pantsil was the man to run down the flanks and assist usually Damien Duff. Pantsil worked well until Hodgson left for new pastures and Mark Hughes stepped in, often suffering the calamities of own goals many times, resulting in Hughes dropping him and a contract not renewed. Chris Baird managed to step in and perform to a high standard for Hughes, getting himself two goals and a place on 'The Times' unsung first XI along with a certain Clint Dempsey. But another managerial change occurred with Martin Jol replacing Hughes, citing 'ambition' as his reason for his departure. In came Jol and out came, curiously, Chris Baird. Baird has disappeared since, only making a couple of cameo appearances, with rumours about that he's having problems with personal life, etc. Jol brought in Zdenek Grygera, who quickly established himself in the team with the same role as Baird had done. But Grygera would soon suffer an awful ACL injury, ruling him out for the Euros and the season. Stephen Kelly, surprisingly, was the man sent in to step in for him and it remained this way as the season went on. Although Kelly improved as the season went on, it was still clear to us that new right back was needed. One who was younger, could develop more and would be there for a long time. So, without a doubt, I present you @themetaknight's guide to the right back position for this summer

Danny Simpson

Simpson had a solid season at Newcastle.
Danny Simpson has been an interesting option. Out of contract next summer, Simpson has refused to sign a new contract with Newcastle. Simpson has put in some good performances over the course of the season, including a crucial one for them against Manchester United at Old Trafford. However, despite these good performances, Simpson is likely to be offered out to other clubs, with Mathieu Debuchy likely to be his replacement. Simpson would cost around £3-5 million because of the time left on his contract.

Nathaniel Clyne

Clyne is a big youth prospect for the future.
Nathaniel Clyne. Heralded as the right back for the future and held in awe by Palace fans. Offensively and defensively good, Clyne's talent is there to see and it is clear that he will become a star in the future. There just lies another problem though. Other clubs. Manchester United and Newcastle are all rumoured to be interested in him, with the latter said to have bid for the 18 year old, which Crystal Palace have fervently denied. It could be a big summer for the 18 year old either way, with premier league clubs sure to be looking at him and his talent.

Lorenzo De Silvestri

De Silvestri was linked with Fulham earlier in the season.
Lorenzo De Silvestri of Fiorentina was linked with us back in January at the same time that the Maxi Lopez rumours were abound, with lots of Italian reports claiming that a deal had been struck with the Italian side. De Silvestri has been touted as the next big thing for Italy's right back position and has huge potential. However, at Fiorentina, De Silvestri has still not realized this potential and is stuck behind in the Fiorentina line-up. Is this man with potential worth the investment? I'd price him around £3-4 million.

Albin Ebondo

Ebondo now plays for Saint-Etienne.
Albin Ebondo, 28 years of age, plays for ASSE in ligue 1 after a transfer from Toulouse. Ebondo made 22 appearances last year for Saint-Etienne, getting two assists for the club. The French and Congolese dual citizen was linked with a move to Newcastle a couple of seasons ago, which collapsed. He's now out of contract and available for a free. Is he worth a transfer? I think so.

So these are my suggestions for the right back position. But are they the ones who you would take? Or would you take someone else? Thanks all for reading and I will hopefully see you next time.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/07/04/who-next-to-fill-the-fulham-right-back-position/?

WhiteJC

More from Brian McBride

Okay, I got the tape and here are his full answers:

Tell us about the amazing 0708 season and your memories of it.

The 0708 season for me was crazy. It started of solid then three games in I get injured and I have to fight through to come back. Then the team struggles and makes some changes to the coaching staff and Roy comes in and makes a great impression. We didn't stop believing, that's the crazy thing, even though we hadn't won away for like forever, when we got together we always felt it'd be possible to come out of it. When we came back at City, 3-2, the locker room sort of just grew, we really felt some momentum. Then of course we came home beat Everton, went to Reading, beat them, then came back and Birmingham City. Then it came down to Danny Murphy's ghosting header at Portsmouth. When have you ever seen him score a headed goal? But thank goodness he did, and that was that.

Football's really taken off in the US now. How come you didn't play baseball or basketball instead?

Actually I played every sport under the sun. In the end the reason I stopped was because I went to the coach and said that I had a lot of soccer commitments, would it be possible to miss a couple of practices. He was like, no way, are you crazy, so that was what made up my mind to forego baseball. But I still played tennis and hockey. I was definitely not a kid who wanted to sit down.

(Long pause while aeroplane flies overhead)

I know there's no good answer to this, but why were Fulham so good at home and so bad away. What did the players think?

It's a good question. We never understood it.

(Pause while Brian's mic makes too much noise on his jacket as he moves around).

I wish there was an answer. Being at home and having the fans behind us was one reason, but going away there was belief, it just didn't really happen for us. For an exact answer, I couldn't give it to you.

When you look back on some of those goal montages, which makes you proudest, or is it just enough that you scored 40 odd goals for Fulham?

So much was about the emotions, those games in the run-ins, having already made the decision before, talking to the chairman about my wife and I going home after the season, then to get the reception from the fans and the club it's not something you can describe, it's a great honour to be thought of that way. Emotional.

Yourself, Boca and Dempsey have all scored a number of headed goals for Fulham. What makes Americans so good in the air.

Good question. Some of it has to be timing, like when I played volleyball, your head-eye coordination, a lot comes from practice. For us it was different mixtures of styles in soccer and a lot was played in the air and it helped us.

You watched the West Ham away game with the fans. What was that like and why did you do this?

It was amazing. I wanted to watch the game and it wasn't on tv. I never got the full experience of being a part of Fulham in the sense of sitting with everybody. My wife and I were anxious to do it. We had watched from the Cottage and enjoyed that, I'm a fan, just like now, I just enjoyed being a part of the whole fan experience.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/more-from-brian-mcbride/?

WhiteJC

Fulham eye swoop for Robinson after keeper's Besiktas move falls down

Fulham are the latest club to show interest in Blackburn goalkeeper Paul Robinson, whose move to Besiktas has stalled.

The Turkish side are on the hunt for a new No 1 after veteran Rustu Recber announced his retirement.

The Blackburn keeper was unable to prevent his club from being relegated to the Championship at the end of last season and wants a new challenge.

Voice of experience: Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson

Robinson has a year left on his contract at Ewood Park having joined the club from Tottenham for £3.5million in 2008. He made over 150 appearances for the Lancashire club.

Blackburn have signed Portimonense winger Fabio Nunes, 19.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2168957/Fulham-eye-swoop-Paul-Robinson-Blackburn.html#ixzz1ziSSRgwc

WhiteJC

MARTIN JOL'S LACK OF WIDTH IS AT THIS TIME, UNCONFIRMED BY MRS JOL

Martin Jol's Fulham have been linked with Swansea's Scott Sinclair and an emerging Dutch star by the name of Luciano Narsingh. With limited options on the wings, neither transfer is unlikely; Fulham need wingers if they are to break through the ceiling and secure European football.

Who Are Ya?!

Scott Sinclair has attracted attention ever since he burst onto the scene as a Chelsea youngster. Always tipped for success, Sinclair enjoyed numerous loan spells at Championship clubs before signing permanently for Swansea in 2010.  His first season at the club ended in promotion with Sinclair netting a hat-trick in the play-off final.

His second year at the club has been solid if not dazzling, with 8 goals and 4 assists in his first full season in the top flight. At only 23, his best years are still ahead of him.

Narsingh is a Dutch winger currently playing for Heerenveen. An out-and-out winger, the 21 year old lit up the Eredivisie this year with an astonishing 20 assists. As with Sinclair, the youngster is blessed with speed and dribbling skills, and has already attracted the attention of Ajax.

Jol's Dutch contacts are presumably strong, and his scouting network appears to have pinpointed the next big thing in his native Holland. Whether they can fend off competition from more illustrious sides – particularly now the story has been leaked to the press – remains to be seen.

Why?!

Both of these wingers are tricky little players that use the width of the pitch, providing an attacking flair characterised by mazy slaloms and slick movement. Fulham's first-team squad is obviously deficient in this area, with the possible exception of Damien Duff. They only currently have 3 strikers, and there is a  conspicuous absence of pace across the entire team.

The statistics from last season imply a traditional winger is something Jol desperately needs. whoscored.com shows that 38% of Fulham's attacks last season came through the middle – higher than any other team. Conversely, attacks from the left hand side of the pitch were only 27% – the fewest in the league. To solidify this point, only Blackburn made fewer crosses than the Cottagers, who average 17 per game.

Sinclair would surely consider a move to London a step up from Swansea, particularly given the prominence of short passing at the Welsh club and the desperate need for wingers at Craven Cottage. Narsingh could be the next big thing, and Jol will need to snap him up soon before he hits the radar. One more season and he may just become too ambitious a target for a club like Fulham.

Both represent perfect opportunities for the Cottagers to strengthen the area where they are most deficient.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2012/07/premiership/martin-jols-lack-of-width-is-at-this-time-unconfirmed-by-mrs-jol?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with Blackburn keeper and Dutch prospect

Fulham are interested in signing Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson, according to the Daily Mail.

It is claimed they could move for the former England man after his transfer to Turkish outfit Beskitas appeared to stall.

The Sun report that Fulham are competing with Ajax for the signing of FC Twente's Holland Under-19 midfielder Chris David.

The player's agent Fabio Alho is quoted as saying: "Fulham and Ajax both want to be kept informed about Chris."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/paper-talk/fulham-linked-with-blackburn-keeper-and-dutch-prospect/

WhiteJC

German right back Sascha Riether to join Fulham on loan in the coming days

German magazine kicker have reported that Cologne's right back Sascha Riether will shortly be joining Fulham on a years loan with an option to buy at the end of the loan spell.

Riether made 17 appearances last year in his 1 season for Cologne. Prior to that he had 4 seasons at Wolfsburg and also made 2 appearances for the German national team. The 5'9" defender has also played in midfield at both rightwing and as a defensive midfielder. He is expected to complete his move shortly and had also interested Aston Villa and Everton.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2012/7/5/3138321/german-right-back-sascha-riether-to-join-fulham-on-loan-in-the-coming?

WhiteJC

Fulham may step in for Paul Robinson

Fulham are eyeing up a bid for Paul Robinson after the Blackburn goalkeeper's proposed move to Besiktas stalled.

Robinson, who has one year remaining on his contract at Ewood Park, is seeking a new challenge following Blackburn's relegation from the Premier League last season.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is a long-term admirer of the 32-year-old after managing him during his time in charge at Tottenham.

Robinson has made over 150 appearances for Blackburn since making a £3.5million switch from White Hart Lane in 2008.

Meanwhile, Jol is going head-to-head with former club Ajax for Holland under-19 star Chris David.

David, who is rated at £2million, currently plays for Steve McClaren's FC Twente.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-may-step-in-for-paul-robinson-7913078.html

WhiteJC

Live On Sky

The Club can confirm fixture changes to three of Fulham's Barclays Premier League matches in 2012 after selection for broadcast on Sky Sports.

TV selections:

West Ham United v Fulham

Saturday 1st September 2012

Kick-off: 12.45pm

(Previously Saturday 1st September 2012, KO 3pm)

Southampton v Fulham

Sunday 7th October 2012

Kick-off: 1.30pm

(Previously Saturday 6th October, KO 3pm)

Fulham v Sunderland

Sunday 18th November 2012

Kick-off: 4.00pm

(Previously Saturday 17th November, KO 3pm)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/July/LiveOnSky.aspx?